HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2012, 01:05 AM
rayau

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL1421 View Post
Last night, my wife and I discussed the idea of getting our 19-month old son some skates and a helmet as part of his Christmas or birthday (end of January) present. He's pretty solid on his feet; been walking for 5 months, running well for awhile now. Has anyone else had a similar discussion in the past? Good / bad experience? Thanks.
You mean you haven't gotten him skates and a helmet yet? What kind of Canadian parent are you??

All joking aside, 2 y.o. is a pretty good time to start skating, but be prepared for a sore back. You'll be hunched over holding him up for a while. We waited for our daughter to reach 3 y.o. before putting her on the ice and snow (skiiing). She had a better understanding of how slippery it can be and wasn't turned off it by falling a lot. Having said that, if he picks it up quickly, starting saving for minor hockey.

Old
08-24-2012, 02:06 AM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
First game of the season and we won 4-1. I got an assist. Passed it to the guy then planted my ass in front of the goalie for a nice screen, haha. Not a bad start.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:59 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Last night I had my best night of scoring to date, 5 points. 4 goals and 1 assist, including a natural hat trick. We really needed to win the game in order to make the playoffs so I told myself I was going to do what it took to play my best.

I've been experimenting with a new snap shot and scored twice with it yesterday. When you can do it right it is so much more effective than a wrister.

Getting up for work after an 11PM game was not so tough today after that night.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:37 AM
polysaturate

This morning I...after watching a trainer, train someone else, picked up on my own how to do a quick stop and transition it into backwards skating. Now if only I can learn backwards crossovers, that'd be swell.

Old
08-24-2012, 01:36 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Today i was honestly going to go to Public skate, actually drove to the rink, but then that stupid mature side of me told myself that i really should be studying my chemistry so i drove back to the school library to study.

Old
08-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Fire Dumboer

Today I bought pants and a new helmet

Old
08-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Nearly dislocated my shoulder when I lost my edge near the boards. Wearing my new skates, might be a little more cautious for now.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:42 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Went to sticktime on friday. When I got to the rink, it had been cancled. Waist of time and gas...

Old
08-26-2012, 02:47 PM
howeaboutthat

Went to a hockey scrimmage today and no net minders turned up, even though they get free ice time. On today's evidence though it seems it is harder to score rebounding off the end boards into a reversed goal than against an actual NM.

Old
08-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
Went to a hockey scrimmage today and no net minders turned up, even though they get free ice time. On today's evidence though it seems it is harder to score rebounding off the end boards into a reversed goal than against an actual NM.
I went to stick and puck the other day and HAD TO PAY to get in as a goalie

Old
08-26-2012, 06:12 PM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
We had that happen to us last week, but we decided to play three post where you it only counted if you lifted the puck off the ice before hitting the post. Made it challenging while working on your accuracy.

Old
08-26-2012, 06:14 PM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Rented ice, found another team to play a "preseason" game against and then spent all day trying to find a backup goalie because our regular one is out of town.

In case anyone is wondering, the single most important attribute of a rec league goalie is not GAA, save pct., a steady demeanor, willingness to pay or even attitude in the dressing room. It's that he shows up and doesn't cause the team rep stress..

Old
08-26-2012, 06:36 PM
PaperworkNinja

Wound up going five-hole on the goalie at practice yesterday. First time I've got the "flip up over the paddle as soon as it hits the ice" trick to work.

Old
08-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Delayed Offside

Got back on the ice (well technically yesterday). First time in 1.5 years and I'm 50lbs lighter since then.

I had hands of stone. Just awful. Granted new gloves and a new stick but still, all that time away from being on the ice, awful stuff.

On the bright side, I am so much faster. Dropping the weight makes a huge difference.

Old
08-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
In case anyone is wondering, the single most important attribute of a rec league goalie is not GAA, save pct., a steady demeanor, willingness to pay or even attitude in the dressing room. It's that he shows up and doesn't cause the team rep stress..
Yeah, I play in a proper organised amateur men's league and I often get calls from the rec team asking if I want some free ice time because one of their goalies isn't showing up for practice.

Old
08-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Won our semi-final game so we are playing the championship game of our summer league. No thanks to me though, man do I struggle at this level. I'm "doing all the little things" though so they tolerate me, but I am out of my element.

Old
08-27-2012, 08:57 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Bought ALL of my gear for Chris Chelios' "Learn to Play" class that starts September 6th. Spent $120 on; used pants and chest pads (both look like new), new hockey socks, practice jersey, shin pads, and elbow pads. Yikes hockey is expensive...

$120 for above mentioned gear
$70 for Bauer 4500 Helmet
$70 for Bauer 4 roll gloves
$90 for Warrior 11k stick
$20 for practice wood stick
$150 x2 for "Learn to Skate" lessons
$110 for "Learn to Play" lessons
$100 (roughly) for all the Public skates i went to since March
$45 for used Bauer Total One skates
+___________
=$925 spent on hockey since February.

You know what though, i dont regret a single dollar. I've been watching the Hawks play since they drafted Toews, have been playing hockey video games since NHL 95, and have absolutely loved all things hockey since 2007. Just learning how to skate has been phenomanal. I'm 22 and my only regret is that i didn't start learning this earlier. I've never done anything this challenging and then STUCK WITH IT. Its honestly a daily pat on my back knowing that i went from never skating before to being able to do backwards crossovers in 6 months. All the hard work i've put in, all the 15 early ass, post drinking, Saturday morning Learn to Skates, all those 2-3 public skate sessions per week this summer, really paid off.

I played baseball from when i was 5 until 17 and even just skating completely blows it out of the water. I couldn't be happier that i'm doing this.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:13 PM
christianbk

Today my brother and I, who first started skating in June, went to our second stick time & Adult Learn to Play class. We had gone maybe 10 times to public skating. We've both purchased our gear. Both signed up for the Fall / Winter league starting next month.

We're definitely very beginner... but tonight felt great. I feel like I get better on my skates every time I go out there.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:00 AM
addybojangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianbk View Post
Today my brother and I, who first started skating in June, went to our second stick time & Adult Learn to Play class. We had gone maybe 10 times to public skating. We've both purchased our gear. Both signed up for the Fall / Winter league starting next month.

We're definitely very beginner... but tonight felt great. I feel like I get better on my skates every time I go out there.
Well, hello, brother!

Felt really great out there. Onwards to the start of Fall League hockey!

Old
08-28-2012, 01:42 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

Posted on HF

Old
08-28-2012, 04:20 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Today I went to adult drop-in night at puckmasters for 10$. It was 3 on 3 and there waas 8 players a team. For a smaller guy, (5'9) I held my ground against all the older guys and had numerous breakaways and scoring chances. I didn't end up with a goal, but I had a couple of nice assists and played defense relatively well.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Old
08-28-2012, 08:32 AM
TrueBlue86

bought suspenders for my pants. one of the best purchases i've made, allows the pants to sit on my hips just right without being tight.

got back on the ice after taking july/ half of august off 15 lbs lighter. such a big difference in energy level skating lighter

Old
08-28-2012, 09:00 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Won our semi-final game so we are playing the championship game of our summer league. No thanks to me though, man do I struggle at this level. I'm "doing all the little things" though so they tolerate me, but I am out of my element.
Congrats Jarick! Enjoy the final and best of luck to you guys. I was also one of the least capable on my winter team, but was on the ice for the game winning goal in 2nd overtime. No matter what role you play it's all meant to be.

Old
08-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Fulcrum

Today I.. am recovering from stepping on the ice last night, for the first time since April. New (higher) league, new team.

I noticed that after 30-40 sec on the ice my legs were starting to give, shot was terribly inconsistent and balance was awful (extra 10lbs don't help). Lots of work up ahead to get back into season form.

Thinking of changing up between cardio, and some interval exercises on land for the next couple of weeks before the actual season starts.

Old
08-28-2012, 07:08 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Today I signed up for the beginner league at the rink closest to me. I'll be playing in the D-league on Sundays and the Breakout league on Mondays.

I spoke with the director of adult hockey since I am going in as a free agent - she had three teams looking for players so I told her I wanted the one most likely to be happy to have a woman player who isn't great, since I've only been playing for 6 months. She said there are LOTS of real beginners in the league (as opposed to C and B players playing down) and that if I wasn't happy on the team, she'd move me to a different one.

Games start on the 10th.

Closed Thread