HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

$5,000,000 cap space

Old
08-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

vCash: 500
This is a cool idea but it's a bandaid idea.

The real problem is this: how many more talented young players are going to go to teams who won't/can't do enough or spend enough to develop them from prospects into solid players. Those teams just need to go. We don't need to give them more money from good teams or rich teams or give them good prospects or better picks. In fact for the future of the sport we want more and better players to come in to the NHL and create a better product.

Also I believe when the players get paid more, that's a good thing. The NHL needs to be paying way more than the other hockey leagues and have competitive salaries compared to the other big pro team sports so we can attract as much talent as possible. The more talent and development, the better the on ice product and the better the TV deals eventually.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
so if a team like Pittsburgh gives up a 1st for 5 mil cap, a 2nd for 2.5 mll cap, a 3rd for 1.5 mill cap, and a 4th for 1 mil cap (hypothetically)

they would have an extra 10 Mil cap that year? that would definitely not be fair IMO
But what about next year when they gut the team to make 10 mil in cap space or have to trade those picks every off season forever. Would take a toll on your prospects. Not as glorious as some naysayers are making it sound

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Leafsfan381

it would be worth 5 million dollars

Leafsfan381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:33 PM
JohnHodgson

Yes, yes and yes.

I briefly proposed this 3 of 4 years ago and it was shot down immediately.

It's a win win on both sides, smaller market teams acquire assets they can use down the road while giving up nothing(since they aren't using the cap space), while bigger market teams can make more trades and become more flexible with extra cap space. Set a limit on how much cap space can be acquired, ie. 5M, so the cap doesn't get out of hand.

Like people said, this allows:

- Small market teams acquire more assets to become more competitive in the future, which creates parity
- Bigger market teams can capitalize on extra salary cap to acquire players to further their cup run
- Trades, a lot more trades will be made thus creating more interest in the league as player movement and trade deadline will be hot topics

Win, win, I don't know why this hasn't been implemented yet.

JohnHodgson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:34 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
This is a cool idea but it's a bandaid idea.

The real problem is this: how many more talented young players are going to go to teams who won't/can't do enough or spend enough to develop them from prospects into solid players. Those teams just need to go. We don't need to give them more money from good teams or rich teams or give them good prospects or better picks. In fact for the future of the sport we want more and better players to come in to the NHL and create a better product.

Also I believe when the players get paid more, that's a good thing. The NHL needs to be paying way more than the other hockey leagues and have competitive salaries compared to the other big pro team sports so we can attract as much talent as possible. The more talent and development, the better the on ice product and the better the TV deals eventually.
Im not so sure that north america has a market for 30/32 nhl teams. Where should NYI relocate to (as an example)?

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:34 PM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
so if a team like Pittsburgh gives up a 1st for 5 mil cap, a 2nd for 2.5 mll cap, a 3rd for 1.5 mill cap, and a 4th for 1 mil cap (hypothetically)

they would have an extra 10 Mil cap that year? that would definitely not be fair IMO
Set a limit. Problem solved.

JohnHodgson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 05:15 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
the infamous 2nd round pick

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Which owner is forced to spend to reach the cap floor? We've already seen that with ELC's having high bonuses, over age 35 bonuses and buyouts counting against the cap, owners have plenty of tricks at their disposal so they are not forced to spend to reach the floor.

I think that most teams who spend, are at least in the playoff race.

Being able to outspend your opponent by any amount gives you an edge. It's up to the gm to bring in an impact player.

Then don't ask me to support selling cap space. Deep pocketed teams, that want an extra edge are not my problem.

I love the salary cap. I am very happy seeing gms have to twist and turn, find a way to make salary fit in trades. I think it leads to a more level playing field.

Yes. They get it, by having their team spend up at the cap ceiling instead of at the cap floor. That extra $16m- $20m is their reward, for being fans of deep pocketed teams. It's their gm's job to spend wisely.

And I say the current system of having to dump salary, to fit trades in, works well enough.
Don't whine because you can't buy extra cap space.

Even better, be prepared for all the teams to have to play on a level playing field.

Buying cap space, buying draft picks, buying prospects.. all suggestions I've read in the last few weeks either from players or fans. All suggestions I expect will be left out of the new cba.
LMFAO, i'm whining?

Here's real wining for you, our team needs money from yours, so we can stay alive, we want parity in the league, we want our entertainment product as good as yours, but i only want to pay $35/55.

I don't care that you pay $135, i want some of that sent to my team, this ain't fair your team can spend more then mine, i don't want to lose our star players.

Now thats wining.

You want your team to give you more then what you pay for, all i want is for my team to be able to invest in the product i pay for.

If i have to pay alot more then you do to see a live event, then i want my entertainment product to have a lot more invested in it.

Oh and for that simple luxury of giving me what i pay for, i'll send your team some welfare $ so you can keep your ticket prices down.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:18 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
LMFAO, i'm whining?
Your post, post #96, where you tell me ' don't ask me to drag down my entertainment product in the name of fairness for a owner like that or a fan base that does not want to pay competitive ticket prices' , is whining.

I don't recall asking you to do anything. I do recall posting that I'm against selling cap space. Whether you agree with me doesn't matter. I am concerned about whether the majority of owners agree with me.

Quote:
Here's real wining for you, our team needs money from yours, so we can stay alive, we want parity in the league, we want our entertainment product as good as yours, but i only want to pay $35/55.
I missed the part where I posted my team needs money to survive. Which of my posts was it again ?

Was it before or after I posted, that I didn't want my owner getting $5m or $10m from other teams? Was it before or after I posted that fans should not be concerned with Wang's 'bleeding'?

Quote:
I don't care that you pay $135, i want some of that sent to my team, this ain't fair your team can spend more then mine, i don't want to lose our star players.
Invent much? Again. I don't want Wang getting that extra $.
I'd much rather see parity.

Quote:
You want your team to give you more then what you pay for, all i want is for my team to be able to invest in the product i pay for.
I want a level playing field. Or as close to a level playing field, as the league can make.

Quote:
If i have to pay alot more then you do to see a live event, then i want my entertainment product to have a lot more invested in it.

Want some cheese with that whine?

Quote:
Oh and for that simple luxury of giving me what i pay for, i'll send your team some welfare $ so you can keep your ticket prices down.
Nah Don't bother. As I posted earlier, my owner refuses to sell. His losses can't be so bad if he's brushing off a would be buyer and telling the press he won't sell.

Meanwhile, we'll stick with the current cap floor and cap ceiling. Stick with teams up against the cap ceiling and looking to add salary, having to dump salary.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Cu Culann

Only two pages deep on this thread, people talking crazy. The 5 million would be total all year, a GM could only trade 5 mil. 1 here, 2 there, 2 over there. Done. There would be a cap on the trading of cap space. You could not acquire 10 mil (5 from two teams.) 5 mil +- from the cap. And probably you could do it for the length of a contract, or perhaps some arbitrary maximum number of years. But not acquiring as much as you want. C'mon people.

Cu Culann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:41 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I'd rather they sell cap space for cash, not for picks.

Leafs can pay Nashville (or any teams $10 000 000 under the ceiling) $5 000 000 to get $5 000 000 in cap space. It gives both teams more money to spend.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:24 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Nothing, I wouldnt trade anything for 5mil in space.

I would use whatever other teams are trading (ie/2nd rounder), + whatever it takes to get the 5mil player and then just dump a couple contracts in the minors if needed.
It goes without saying that dumping salaries in minors and using bonuses to reach the cap floor shouldnt be allowed. That should provide positive incentives to both the loaded and the poor teams.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:34 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Is he currently trying to sell the team? If not one would have to wonder why not.
It does seem a good alternative for him. Lease is running out anyways, prospect pool is deep and players like tavares, grabner have received back loaded contracts. Seems to me as though wang is trying to invest the minimum now and keep his options open. Will he be willing/able to pay real money to all these kids once their ELCs are up? Once they hit UFA?

Old
08-27-2012, 11:46 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
It does seem a good alternative for him. Lease is running out anyways, prospect pool is deep and players like tavares, grabner have received back loaded contracts. Seems to me as though wang is trying to invest the minimum now and keep his options open. Will he be willing/able to pay real money to all these kids once their ELCs are up? Once they hit UFA?
Wang's money losing lease expires in 3 more seasons.

His young nhl core players, have backloaded deals and won't be making big bucks for a few more yrs.

By that time he will either have sold the team, reached an agreement for a new arena with a more favorable lease from Nassau County or moved to Brooklyn.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Perfect_Drug

Cap space should be trade-able by forfeiting your draft picks.

(The Cap Space provided is dependant on the pick that is forfeited).

If a team choses to forfeit 1st Overall, the team will be awarded $10 million in cap space.
Each subsequent pick knocks off $250,000 from the cap penalty.

2nd = $9.75 million
3rd = $9.5 million
etc.

Untill the cap hit runs to $0

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Wang's money losing lease expires in 3 more seasons.

His young nhl core players, have backloaded deals and won't be making big bucks for a few more yrs.

By that time he will either have sold the team, reached an agreement for a new arena with a more favorable lease from Nassau County or moved to Brooklyn.
Just out of curiosity, isnt the new arena in Brooklyn NOT hockey friendly? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post

If a team choses to forfeit 1st Overall, the team will be awarded $10 million in cap space.

2nd = $9.75 million
3rd = $9.5 million
etc.

So you essentially trade your picks back to the league, and fewer people get drafted, or are we giving the picks to other teams?

Also, why would anyone ever trade a first rounder for cap when a third gets you half a mill less, lol?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:59 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post

2nd = $9.75 million
3rd = $9.5 million
etc.

I'm glad to read this idea is not expected to fly, that it's receiving a cool reception from some teams, that don't want their competitors spending above the cap ceiling.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ade-cap-space/

Old
08-28-2012, 11:03 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Just out of curiosity, isnt the new arena in Brooklyn NOT hockey friendly? I thought I heard that somewhere.
I think Bettman would prefer the isles stay in Nassau.

But after touring the new Barclay's Center about 6 weeks ago, Bettman's softening his opposition to a Brooklyn move.

With Ratner pushing to fill dates in Barclay's and trying to lure the isles to Brooklyn, he or Peltz, may turn out to be a potential local buyers.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...arclays-center
Bettman previously has played down Brooklyn as an alternative for the Islanders, concerned that Brooklyn was not central to the location of the bulk of the team's fan base, but he has softened his stance since visiting Barclays Center last month.

Asked whether he now has an opinion on Brooklyn for the Islanders, Bettman paused thoughtfully before answering.

"I'm not sure yet," he said. "It's something we'd have to look at."

Old
08-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Paradingwolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
So you essentially trade your picks back to the league, and fewer people get drafted, or are we giving the picks to other teams?

Also, why would anyone ever trade a first rounder for cap when a third gets you half a mill less, lol?
I think he meant overall draft position not 1st 2nd 3rd round... either way though, terrible idea and what team's going to pass on their pick for cap space they may or may not even be able to utilize effectively?

Paradingwolves is offline   Reply With Quote