HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Schedule question from worried UK fan

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-28-2012, 08:19 AM
  #1
English Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Schedule question from worried UK fan

Hello from the currently sunny UK.

I have planned a trip over to NYC to see the Rangers play St Louis, Tampa and Montreal in December and then away to Ottawa.

Now a little worried about the prospect of the schedule being messed up.

Just wondering what the chances are of those fixtures not taking place. Here in the UK disputes over deals etc are such an alien concept I have not got the foggiest as to how serious the risk is.

Helping in puting my mind at rest would be appreciated!

English Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:27 AM
  #2
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,360
vCash: 50
Nobody can really tell you the answer to that. The "latest" most people think it could last here is until January because of the Winter Classic, but then you have to take into account 24/7 etc.
Bottom line - only Bettman and Fehr know.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:34 AM
  #3
English Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
If there is a delay to the start, will it mean the entire schedule will be re-drawn? Or will it just start from the next scheduled game?

English Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:41 AM
  #4
Abooch68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
Schedule will/already is redone to prepare for a lockout.

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:57 AM
  #5
English Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Cheers.

When is the deadline for the current schedule to be made void / a lock-out to be announced?

The whole concept of this is madness to UK sports fans. Our seasons start on the same weekend every year, unless there is something like a World Cup, in which case the players might get an extra week off.

I cannot imagine the outrage if this happened in the Premier League soccer over here.

English Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:07 AM
  #6
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!
 
SixGoalieSystem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 2,469
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ranger View Post

The whole concept of this is madness to UK sports fans. Our seasons start on the same weekend every year, unless there is something like a World Cup, in which case the players might get an extra week off.

I cannot imagine the outrage if this happened in the Premier League soccer over here.
Could you imagine the excitement if a hard salary cap and draft system led to teams like Swansea and Everton being able to fight for the premiership title? What makes the PL pretty unintersting to me is the way you always have the same six clubs battling it out for the top four.

That aside, I hope you enjoy your trip and get to watch all your games.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:00 AM
  #7
English Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
Could you imagine the excitement if a hard salary cap and draft system led to teams like Swansea and Everton being able to fight for the premiership title? What makes the PL pretty unintersting to me is the way you always have the same six clubs battling it out for the top four.

That aside, I hope you enjoy your trip and get to watch all your games.
I would actually love a salary cap and draft system in the UK. The team I follow, Brighton & Hove Albion, play in the second tier of English soccer and the chances of us buidling a team to compete with the likes of Manchester United, City and Chelsea is pretty much nil.

That said, even with those advances in place, I imagine the season would still start at the same time.

English Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 05:53 PM
  #8
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ranger View Post
Cheers.

When is the deadline for the current schedule to be made void / a lock-out to be announced?

The whole concept of this is madness to UK sports fans. Our seasons start on the same weekend every year, unless there is something like a World Cup, in which case the players might get an extra week off.

I cannot imagine the outrage if this happened in the Premier League soccer over here.
Technically there is a lockout starting September 15th if no deal is reached but the regular season schedule could be the same if an agreement is reached in the 7-10 days after the expiration. They will make an announcement if games are cancelled and up until what point. Once games are cancelled, the entire schedule has to be redone.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?u=53946&type=sigpic&dateline=1320361610
NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:21 PM
  #9
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abooch68 View Post
Schedule will/already is redone to prepare for a lockout.
Last time there was a lockout that cut the season short in 1994-5, there was a new schedule drawn up that had no out of conference games. The only inter-conference games were during the Stanley Cup finals.

If there are a significant number of games cancelled, I can't image that the schedule won't be radially changed. Teams are not going to lose dates with other teams in their division/conference in order to play an inter-conference game. The Rangers are not going to play some meaningless game with Calgary in Feb if the season doesn't start until the Winter Classic

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:00 PM
  #10
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
There will be no games in December. Bank on it.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:05 PM
  #11
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,281
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abooch68 View Post
Schedule will/already is redone to prepare for a lockout.
How is that possible? They don't know when the lockout will be over, so how do they know how many games they can squeeze in?

A new schedule will be made once the lockout ends.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:24 PM
  #12
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
If I were you I wouldn't waste time making any plans right now.

Wait until we find out that the new CBA's signed.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:06 AM
  #13
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
Take it from someone who didn't think both sides were dumb enough to go to a lockout last time: don't make any plans regarding travel for NHL hockey until everything is signed and announced

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 03:59 AM
  #14
English Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Take it from someone who didn't think both sides were dumb enough to go to a lockout last time: don't make any plans regarding travel for NHL hockey until everything is signed and announced
Oh well. Looking forward to a week in NY and two days in Ottawa without any hockey then.

English Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:12 AM
  #15
Realize
Registered User
 
Realize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany / Aachen
Country: Germany
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
I think NYC will be interesting enough - even withoug hockey - but - my dream is to come to NYC in one of the next years (in 2014 I really hope) and to watch hockey games and discover the city

Wishing you much fun @ English Ranger

Realize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:53 AM
  #16
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,603
vCash: 500
If there a 2 month lockout,there will probably be a new schedule. One team isn't going to plan more home games than road games. There was a 48 game season in 1995. Only conference games. That season began in late January. The NBA had a 66 game season which started on Christmas Day. 66 games in 130 days. The NHL can't do that. NBA teams played games on 3 straight nights. NHL can't do that.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:49 PM
  #17
z1co80
The Incredible Hank
 
z1co80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,899
vCash: 50
This whole lockout carry on is why i haven't been on the boards much. I just find it ridiculous, It's always the fans who lose out. I don't want to read about it so i will just wait for the news of when hockey will start.

As the OP suggested this whole thing wouldn't happen in the UK, I think there would be quite the uproar if things came as close as what they are with the NHL.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:10 PM
  #18
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ranger View Post
Oh well. Looking forward to a week in NY and two days in Ottawa without any hockey then.
You could always go to some Knicks/Nets/Jets/Giants games depending on who's home that week to replace hockey. Not the same especially if you don't like football or basketball but it fills the sports void on the trip.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:30 PM
  #19
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by z1co80 View Post
As the OP suggested this whole thing wouldn't happen in the UK, I think there would be quite the uproar if things came as close as what they are with the NHL.
Unions here learnt their lesson the hard way not to mess with owners/government

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:11 PM
  #20
dowenmr
Registered User
 
dowenmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rockland County, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
I wouldn't expect much to happen before September 15 once the lockout kicks in is when the two sides will really start to get down to business and actually consider getting a deal done

dowenmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 07:30 AM
  #21
the fife flyer
Registered User
 
the fife flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by z1co80 View Post
This whole lockout carry on is why i haven't been on the boards much. I just find it ridiculous, It's always the fans who lose out. I don't want to read about it so i will just wait for the news of when hockey will start.

As the OP suggested this whole thing wouldn't happen in the UK, I think there would be quite the uproar if things came as close as what they are with the NHL.
I doubt the players would strike here for their 200-600 dollars a week mate

Like your avatar......when are you doing mine?

the fife flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:39 AM
  #22
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 42,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fife flyer View Post
I doubt the players would strike here for their 200-600 dollars a week mate

Like your avatar......when are you doing mine?
I was going to say wut, football players make hundreds of thousands a week. Then I realised; you're talking about the EIHL

Feel free to join the Hockey in Great Britain thread in the Western Europe section of the boards

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:06 PM
  #23
the fife flyer
Registered User
 
the fife flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I was going to say wut, football players make hundreds of thousands a week. Then I realised; you're talking about the EIHL

Feel free to join the Hockey in Great Britain thread in the Western Europe section of the boards
Cheers buddy.

I`ll pop over now and have a look.

the fife flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 06:01 PM
  #24
z1co80
The Incredible Hank
 
z1co80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,899
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fife flyer View Post
I doubt the players would strike here for their 200-600 dollars a week mate

Like your avatar......when are you doing mine?
Zenith did it for me mate.

Just ask in this thread http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...625&highlight=

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.