HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Does a lockout mark the end of our time as contenders?

Old
08-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
People are too blindly optimistic, IMO-- I'll look forward to watching, but if there's a lockout, our chances certainly don't look too good after that.

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
People are too blindly optimistic, IMO-- I'll look forward to watching, but if there's a lockout, our chances certainly don't look too good after that.
You call the optimism blind but don't give any reason for the pessimism... blind pessimism lol

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
You call the optimism blind but don't give any reason for the pessimism... blind pessimism lol
I think that the reasons that people think we've pretty much peaked/are peaking right now and are going to start to get up there in age a bit and slow down are pretty self-explanatory and well documented.

I think we still have a few years of being competitive but I certainly don't think we're just going to remain as good as we are right now long term.

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think that the reasons that people think we've pretty much peaked/are peaking right now and are going to start to get up there in age a bit and slow down are pretty self-explanatory and well documented.

I think we still have a few years of being competitive but I certainly don't think we're just going to remain as good as we are right now long term.
Maybe it's because I'm the same age as the twins, just doesn't seem that old

I also believe in Gillis player development. We've seen it more on the pro side so far, I think everyone we bring in improves, even older guys. That's where my optimism comes from, blind as it is.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:43 PM
CP

vCash: 699
If the Sedins were FAs this summer, teams would be lining up to pay them 8 million for 5 years each. They have lots of hockey left in them and they are still quite young considering they are the a couple of the teams oldest players. The Canucks are in good shape for a number of year and should content again whenever hockey starts up.

CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
I do love how the Sedins are only 31 and considered old and declining, yet we have a list of older players maintaining their skill well into their 30s. St. Louis is a prime example. Whether we play a full season or just half. I fully expect the Sedins to dominate again. People really need to lay off the pessimism.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 05:44 PM
CanuckLuck

The Sedins also play a very cerebral game. They lack a lot of foot speed and use positioning and smarts to rack up the points. These types of forwards will typically have a longer career since the feet will still be able to keep up with the head. Given their conditioning and dedication to getting better every year, I see no reason why the Sedins won't be productive players even when they are 35/36. On the decline? What on earth would suggest that? If it's because they didn't finish 1/2 in the league scoring race, I think those expectations are a little unfair.

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:29 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
If the Sedins were FAs this summer, teams would be lining up to pay them 8 million for 5 years each. They have lots of hockey left in them and they are still quite young considering they are the a couple of the teams oldest players. The Canucks are in good shape for a number of year and should content again whenever hockey starts up.
If that's the cost to re-sign them I hope we let them walk.

When their contracts are up after the 13-14 season, we will either be getting cap space from re-signing them, or we will let them walk and be big players for other UFA's/trades.

08-27-2012, 06:35 PM
vadim sharifijanov

has a lockout ever meant anything but the death of our core? ('94 team, nastuzzi)

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:54 AM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
The Sedins also play a very cerebral game. They lack a lot of foot speed and use positioning and smarts to rack up the points. These types of forwards will typically have a longer career since the feet will still be able to keep up with the head. Given their conditioning and dedication to getting better every year, I see no reason why the Sedins won't be productive players even when they are 35/36. On the decline? What on earth would suggest that? If it's because they didn't finish 1/2 in the league scoring race, I think those expectations are a little unfair.
Agreed, all the great players had the ability to let the game come to them. Slow it right down and let there hockey sense and skill dominate. The game is changing though and players can't get away with certain things they use to in the Lemieux/Gretzky era. Bigger, faster, and stronger. Guy Lefleur use to smoke 5 packs of cigarettes during a game (not on the bench of course). The athletes of today are fine tuned with state of the art facilities and money pouring into a buisness where results are needed to survive. The Sedins are the last of my worries. Loving the rumors of Ballard, Raymond, and picks to the Jets for Kane though.

KidCanuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:06 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanuck10 View Post
Agreed, all the great players had the ability to let the game come to them. Slow it right down and let there hockey sense and skill dominate. The game is changing though and players can't get away with certain things they use to in the Lemieux/Gretzky era. Bigger, faster, and stronger. Guy Lefleur use to smoke 5 packs of cigarettes during a game (not on the bench of course). The athletes of today are fine tuned with state of the art facilities and money pouring into a buisness where results are needed to survive. The Sedins are the last of my worries. Loving the rumors of Ballard, Raymond, and picks to the Jets for Kane though.
Source on the rumors? That's absurd.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote