HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Next UFA D - Kevin Klein

Old
08-27-2012, 12:46 PM
predfan98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
I have no problem with him leaving for the offseason. I never said I did, nor did I say I was pissed off.

It does rub me the wrong way that he can't (won't is more accurate) travel here for even just half a day to express his appreciation for the commitment to 14 years/$110 mil. I heard that he had prior engagements the day of the SOTU, and I would be willing to bet ownership tried to work this around his schedule to get him here. I think he could have taken one day off of his greuling wedding planning schedule to show his appreciation if he really wanted to be here. It shows a lot to me about his feelings about this team and the contract situation. Of course he knew there was a chance we would match, as ownership said we would match any offer...but I think he was surprised we were able to. I'd be willing to bet his agent said "There's no way Nashville can match this". I know it's not personal against Nashville. Shea wants to be on a cap team, period. So far we have not shown we will be anything close to that. He would have rather played in Philly or he wouldn't have signed the sheet. Anyone saying he signed it to stay here is wearing blinders. I think Shea made a great decision for his long term financial future as did the Preds for theirs.

"Business, always business" - The Wire anyone?

All that said, I will have NO concerns with him once the puck is dropped and he will always be my favorite player as long as he is here. I don't blame him at all for signing the sheet, anyone would have taken that contract. I agree he can do whatever he wants and has no obligation to come here, I just think it would have been the right thing to do.

I applaud the owners for the match.

Ok Im done. Sorry to hijack Klein's thread.

Klein is beyond solid, he doesn't deserve the hate he gets from fans. Of course there have been some bad plays from time to time, everyone makes mistakes, I think Klein's have just been glaring obvious ones. Good player and I hope we keep him around.
Amen. I just hope he's a professional on the ice.

Klein is worth $4million /year. I hope we re-sign him soon and he plays up to his potential....

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:09 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

How can you say anyone saying different is wearing blinders when before the offer sheet was even signed our owners and gm had all said they'd match any offer on Weber, the, Weber saying Nashville owners and GM had told him they'd match any offer sheet.

I love how you guys can read whatever you want between the lines.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
How can you say anyone saying different is wearing blinders when before the offer sheet was even signed our owners and gm had all said they'd match any offer on Weber, the, Weber saying Nashville owners and GM had told him they'd match any offer sheet.

I love how you guys can read whatever you want between the lines.
If he really wanted to sign a contract in Nashville it would have gotten worked out.

See: Pekka Rinne.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Legionnaire11

I do feel like if the Preds had not matched that Weber would have been present for a big press conference in Philly. And i'm sure it's a tense situation right now with some sort of hard feelings in there, but in the long run this will all be a distant memory and Weber will go down as one of the greatest Preds ever.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:21 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
If he really wanted to sign a contract in Nashville it would have gotten worked out.

See: Pekka Rinne.
I dont think there is any contract that Weber would have signed here without first looking elsewhere. I believe Weber when he says he was happy to stay here, but above all else Weber wanted absolute maxmum cash, and by definition the only way he could know he was getting that was to have himself bid on by teams other than Nashville. Given his RFA status, that meant shopping for offer sheets. Apparently he intended to do this last summer and Poile forestalled it with arbitration, presumably because at that time the owners werent in a position to match any offer sheet.

In retrospect, its a damn shame the owners werent in great shape last summer, since I feel certain an offer sheet last summer would have been a good bit cheaper than this years was....

and to get back on Klein, I am afraid he's going to want to see what the market will be for him, especially since his role here should be increased this season...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:54 PM
jstreet

vCash: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I do feel like if the Preds had not matched that Weber would have been present for a big press conference in Philly.
hmm.. I was going to come in defense of Shea and give him the benefit of the doubt until I read this. I think you are right. He would have been on the local news kissing every baby in sight.

oh well, the first time he crushes a member of the Minnesota Wild or the Detroit Red Wings I will forgive him.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
and to get back on Klein, I am afraid he's going to want to see what the market will be for him, especially since his role here should be increased this season...
What if he didn't? What if he sits and thinks "I have a chance to be the one who one who plays company man, after Suter and Weber I can be the good guy who shows loyalty and integrity". Would the fans change their tune on Klein at that point?

Obviously Rinne, Legwand and Erat have shown that attitude. Klein would fit in well and the fans would warm up to him more if he joined that club. I think it could go either way, I wouldn't blame him for testing the market, but I really feel like he might be the guy who would rather take sure money and familiar settings, signing early for a good contract.

Old
08-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I thought I was reading a thread about Kevin Klein. Instead, we seem to have Shea Weber Shea Weber Offer Sheet Wedding Plan Shea Weber followed by Obligatory Perfunctory Klein Comment.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 06:55 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
What if he didn't? What if he sits and thinks "I have a chance to be the one who one who plays company man, after Suter and Weber I can be the good guy who shows loyalty and integrity". Would the fans change their tune on Klein at that point?

Obviously Rinne, Legwand and Erat have shown that attitude. Klein would fit in well and the fans would warm up to him more if he joined that club. I think it could go either way, I wouldn't blame him for testing the market, but I really feel like he might be the guy who would rather take sure money and familiar settings, signing early for a good contract.
I hope you are correct...

Old
08-28-2012, 08:02 AM
K3V1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I thought I was reading a thread about Kevin Klein. Instead, we seem to have Shea Weber Shea Weber Offer Sheet Wedding Plan Shea Weber followed by Obligatory Perfunctory Klein Comment.
I literally just said the same thing out loud, well not verbatim.

edit: Where's the Winebago Man?

K3V1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Every thread on here has turned into Shea Weber.....

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:10 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Every thread on here has turned into Shea Weber.....
so does that mean Weber = the new Legwand?

Old
08-28-2012, 12:57 PM
jstreet

vCash: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
so does that mean Weber = the new Legwand?
yeah! trade Weber, he'll never be the top line center that this franchise needs!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
yeah! trade Weber, he'll never be the top line center that this franchise needs!
AMEN. The guy is awful at faceoffs.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:22 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
Does anybody use that screen name?

Keep Klein, the Preds need some defensive D-men!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:13 PM
dulzhok

Klein would be an absolutely horrible buy at 4 million a year.

He did have a very good series vs Detroit. But what you saw there was the pinnacle of his career. Rob Valecivc once scored a hat trick. It's called an anomaly.

Back to reality. How quickly people forget he was a MAJOR problem in almost all our playoff series the past 3 years. His untimely gaffes are not fixable, they are a part of him.

I don't want him in a good top 4 at 1.35 million, much less 4.5 million!

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Klein would be an absolutely horrible buy at 4 million a year.

He did have a very good series vs Detroit. But what you saw there was the pinnacle of his career. Rob Valecivc once scored a hat trick. It's called an anomaly.

Back to reality. How quickly people forget he was a MAJOR problem in almost all our playoff series the past 3 years. His untimely gaffes are not fixable, they are a part of him.

I don't want him in a good top 4 at 1.35 million, much less 4.5 million!
I take it Ryan Suter is a second pairing defenseman, then?

Old
09-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
How quickly people forget he was a MAJOR problem in almost all our playoff series the past 3 years.
It's hard to forget something that never happened

Old
09-06-2012, 09:04 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
I remember our 14 million dollar dman getting turned inside out vs vancouver still.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:35 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
riiight.

Klein is the most gaffe prone defenseman we've in recent memory. He has his moments (Detroit series) but you can't teach a cat how to bark. 4 million. Please. If that's his asking price we should trade him now to the highest bidder. On an elite team, he should be bottom pair.

Last edited by dulzhok: 09-06-2012 at 10:49 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
riiight.

Klein is the most gaffe prone defenseman we've in recent memory. He has his moments (Detroit series) but you can't teach a cat how to bark. 4 million. Please. If that's his asking price we should trade him now to the highest bidder. On an elite team, he should be bottom pair.
There's a funny thing about defensemen. You can have blueliners that are fantastic 95% of the time, but the other 5% they screw up and it's very visible. Those are the sorts of guys that you love to have on the second pairing, because you both minimize the impact of those gaffes when they come and in the vast majority of the remaining time you have an awesome guy shutting down secondary scoring for the opposition.

And if you find a partner who clicks with that guy and can figure out that 5% and cover for it - particularly if said partner also has his own 5% and that guy can cover for it in his turn - you can end up with, well, results that are so remarkable that they're hardly believable on first or second or even third glance*.

*: Note the two big blue dot names right by Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, around the "middle" of the first chart on that page. Then see the description following same, particularly the second and third paragraphs.

Old
09-15-2012, 02:18 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
4-5 years, 3.25 per year
this guy must know something.... lol.

good to see klein locked up. think this thread can be to. no suter 2.0 .. good job poile/klein

NoNecksCurse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:

While we're on the "I Called It" train

Old
09-15-2012, 04:29 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
While we're on the "I Called It" train
good call. honestly, I like klein more than weber at this point.

I always enjoy looking back on threads in hindsight haha

NoNecksCurse is online now   Reply With Quote