HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn Player Comparison

Old
08-20-2012, 02:22 PM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Displayname40 View Post
Shelley 6'3 230
Sestito 6'5 228
Grossman 6'4 230

Schenn 6'2 229
Thats a big dude for being 22. I guess Working out With Weber is helping. I hear alot about foot speed being an issue, but dudes gonna be a powerhouse.
Speed, ability to read the play in the defensive zone and confidence are Schenn's biggest weaknesses. He'll need to over come those issues in order to become a shutdown guy.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:29 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Hopefully homer doesnt trade for a dman let the kids play if we sign a FA dont have a problem but the JBO has me worried not his cap hit which is high but what we give up only thing JBO could help Timmo out were he doesnt play alot of mins and get banged up .

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:29 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I guess extra weight does not equal truculence! Has there been any word of him wanting to lose it?
I bet they'll see how he does thru camp with the uptempo system, and give him an ultimatum if there's issues.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:44 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
I think Schenn is going to turn into Angry Coburn, just not "only in the playoffs", but every night.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I think Schenn is going to turn into Angry Coburn, just not "only in the playoffs", but every night.
Schenn is not even close to Coburn in the skating department, unfortunately.

Roo Mad Bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

#3 defencemen ideally if everything goes well. If he develops to his full potential, you have an Adam Foote player. As a former leaf, I don't know which Schenn wer're get because for one fact, he's terrible on the PK. He's slow to react to plays (doesn't read plays right) largely and gets beaten speed wise alot. I hope last year was just a player failing after signing a big contract.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Brozgalov

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Hope we can be as happy with JvR.
Not to completely derail the discussion to JVR, but I thought I'd comment on him as I've probably seen him play a bit more then you.

A lot of people here (not all) were and still are down on JVR and are happy with this trade. I am happy with this trade as well but by no means does that mean I think JVR is a bust. We are currently stacked on offense and needed this move. We all know Schenn has struggled, but the whole brother factor and new motivation could be huge for him.

Back to JVR, he has shown signs of greatness. He is a bit soft (something that could change with experience) so making him your #1 center seems a bit strange to me. He is a winger and I don't see that move working out but who knows. The kid has some really good skills when he wants to use them, but at his best he uses his speed and puck protection.

25% of the time (and thats not a lot of time considering his injuries) he played like a man possessed and was unstoppable. If he can learn to harness that all the time, he can be a force. The injury bug may be an issue down the road but they might just be flukey too.

Schenn is a player that I am overly excited to see this season. Maybe it's because we haven't had a young guy like this (that actually is supposed to be a difference maker) in a long time. I am not getting my expectations very high for him right now, but I am looking forward to his debut and the Schenn Brothers to be on the ice at the same time.

So here's to both guys and both teams. May both JVR and Luke flourish in their new homes and may we meet in the conference finals!

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
Not to completely derail the discussion to JVR, but I thought I'd comment on him as I've probably seen him play a bit more then you.

A lot of people here (not all) were and still are down on JVR and are happy with this trade. I am happy with this trade as well but by no means does that mean I think JVR is a bust. We are currently stacked on offense and needed this move. We all know Schenn has struggled, but the whole brother factor and new motivation could be huge for him.

Back to JVR, he has shown signs of greatness. He is a bit soft (something that could change with experience) so making him your #1 center seems a bit strange to me. He is a winger and I don't see that move working out but who knows. The kid has some really good skills when he wants to use them, but at his best he uses his speed and puck protection.

25% of the time (and thats not a lot of time considering his injuries) he played like a man possessed and was unstoppable. If he can learn to harness that all the time, he can be a force. The injury bug may be an issue down the road but they might just be flukey too.

Schenn is a player that I am overly excited to see this season. Maybe it's because we haven't had a young guy like this (that actually is supposed to be a difference maker) in a long time. I am not getting my expectations very high for him right now, but I am looking forward to his debut and the Schenn Brothers to be on the ice at the same time.

So here's to both guys and both teams. May both JVR and Luke flourish in their new homes and may we meet in the conference finals!
Didn't he play center in college? And 25% of the time he played like a man possessed? It was more closer to 5 or 10%..

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:45 AM
lancer247

At worse I think Schenn will be comparable to Brendan Witt. Big, tough, blocks a ton of shots, hits like a truck, is a decent outlet passer. That's nothing to sneeze at if you can pencil him in as you #3-4 for the next 10-12 years. If his passing and shot improve through experience he will be all you can expect from a top 5 pick.
He has a cannon for a shot that just isn't accurate.

I am against trading any roster forwards until we see how Schenn progresses during the season.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Aucoin11*

This is my favorite thread currently going on hfboards.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Clyde Donovan

I don't put much stock into how Schenn looked on the Leafs last year. I was just watching highlights of the game where the Flyers put up 7 on the Leafs and every single defensemen looked like he belonged in the AHL. Jake "Orr"Gardiner was made to look stupid TWICE by Max freakin Talbot.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:46 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
This is my favorite thread currently going on hfboards.
Must have not gotten around to many others...or have very strange taste

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:13 PM
bennysflyers16

One shoulder to James neal's chin and he will be a legend

I like the Reghyr comparison though.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Swic21

I see Schenn tuning into a very solid number 2 physically imposing, shutdown d man.i think Regehr is the best comparison. Not much offense but a nightmare to play against night in night out.

Swic21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:07 PM
JKG33
Richards & Carter

I really hope he is paired with Timonen. He was at his best on the Leafs when he was with Kaberle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
One shoulder to James neal's chin and he will be a legend

I like the Reghyr comparison though.
lmao I love your avatar

JKG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Potential? He was always compared to Adam Foote.

We can only dream....
I come in pieces. Elbows down you ruffians.

I do have 1 concern tho.

Seeing how the game has changed so much since the lockout.

Could a player actually turn into a Foote these days with the Footes skill set?

Won't a player need a bit of a different skill set these days to be like a Foote?

FTR, looking forward to Lukes first tilt with Dion, it could be epic.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:44 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I guess extra weight does not equal truculence! Has there been any word of him wanting to lose it?
and yet people want Simmonds to put on weight and dont expect it to hamper his ability...

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Fresh34

I also don't see how he can be considered a bust just yet. Not every 22 year old D-man is Drew Doughty.

Fresh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh34 View Post
I also don't see how he can be considered a bust just yet. Not every 22 year old D-man is Drew Doughty.
I don't see anyone calling him a bust

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:20 PM
RespectTheCouts
Couts=0 offense

As far as comparing Luke I've always heard Foote, but I'm a little more optamistic about him, not looking at him as a savior for our D, but I believe his physical style will be loved here in Philly, pairing him with Kimmo will help him with his positioning and stick use, good mentor for any young Dman Kimmo would be, and I get excited about the Pens games this year because of the whole B. Schenn/Crosby on going issue, I'd like to see what happens when someone goes after Braydon with Luke lurking on the ice, it has to be intensified being brothers and all

RespectTheCouts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Baby Face Trilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
As far as comparing Luke I've always heard Foote, but I'm a little more optamistic about him, not looking at him as a savior for our D, but I believe his physical style will be loved here in Philly, pairing him with Kimmo will help him with his positioning and stick use, good mentor for any young Dman Kimmo would be, and I get excited about the Pens games this year because of the whole B. Schenn/Crosby on going issue, I'd like to see what happens when someone goes after Braydon with Luke lurking on the ice, it has to be intensified being brothers and all
This begs the question, Is Kimmo Timonen Yoda?

Baby Face Trilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Face Trilla View Post
Yes, pretty much.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:03 PM
RespectTheCouts
Couts=0 offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Face Trilla View Post
Hahaha I just realized I typed that like Yoda, and yes Kimmo is really Yoda but with perfect hair

RespectTheCouts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 09:30 PM
rban*

Luke and Grossman can both prosper when paired with good offensive DMen. Grossman probably paired with Coburn, whose offense is improving, and Schenn probably will be with Timo who unofrtunately is showing his age.

We need Meszaros back fast, cuz I'll tell you one thing I see that Mesz has in common with Cobrun. I think both of those guys can benefit by being told to concentrate more on generating offense and having a reliable stay at home DMan covering up for them.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Going forward, maybe the most important young player on our team is Luke Schenn. With our defense in its current state we need him to develop into a Shut Down dman who can log big minutes for us.

My question for the posters here is what player currently or in the past represents Luke Schenn's potential.

Right now i see him as a Brooks Orpik type of guy, with a bit more mobility and a bit more physical.

But what can he develop into? What is his ceiling?
Schenn is not that mobile. When you watch him on the ice, he looks like he's moving at a different pace as the rest of the action on the ice. Maybe if he slims down he can get back to "slow but still effective" catgory but he's basically so slow that he compromises his own ability to make plays under pressure, which magnifies how ineffective his puckhandling and decision making can be, which leads to a decrease in confidence and increasingly garbage play.

I think he can be a bit like Luke Richardson if he really simplifies his game and focuses in on a particular role and play within his limitations. Take the body, rely on the other defenseman to corral loose pucks, funnel all pucks to the other side for breakouts, don't press the offense, etc.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote