HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM] Taylor Hall signs seven year extension, $6m per

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2012, 10:18 PM
NHLTradeRumors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
& why wouldn't they want to sign their stars long term? Horcoff has worked out great.
Horcoff was never a star. Ryan Smyth was better than him at the time, and they did not even resign Smyth. That was a big blunder by the GM Lowe. The signing of Hall is not a blunder and related to the Horcoff signing in any way.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:45 AM
zeus3007*

I'm not sure how anyone could criticize this deal. As an Oiler fan, I am happy that he is locked in, and I think its fair for both sides.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:47 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Trades View Post
Horcoff was never a star. Ryan Smyth was better than him at the time, and they did not even resign Smyth. That was a big blunder by the GM Lowe. The signing of Hall is not a blunder and related to the Horcoff signing in any way.
Exactly. Horcoff's extension was based on one year of amazing stats that looked like a breakout. He was a career third liner up until that year. Chalk that up to horrible scouting/player projection. Taylor Hall's potential is through the roof, and is a future superstar, which is why he was a consensus first/second overall rated player. Entirely different situation than the Horcoff deal.

Old
08-25-2012, 02:11 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
I still think it is a good deal for the oilers

Old
08-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Lundface

6 million for 60 games...essentially 1 million for every 10 games this kid plays !!

Hope he learns to keep his head up, or the Oil just wasted a lot of money

Old
08-25-2012, 02:54 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
How so? Insurance pays the money if he gets injured.

Old
08-25-2012, 06:59 PM
rockinghockey

Hall's goal scoring over two years is .388 which would of given him 32 if he playes 82 games last year.

If you just average out last year he would of gotten 36 goals if he would of played a full 82 games. That is pretty good.

The players and the owners better sort their **** out as I want to see hockey start on time to see the Oilers take the next step. I am not expecting them to make the playoffs but I am looking foward to some exciting hockey.

Old
08-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
These long term contracts mean absolutely squat, regardless if there's a No Movement, or No Trade clause

If a star player wants to move on, want's to get traded, he'll move on
Just ask Rick Nash and soon to be Roberto Luongo
Except in Luongo's case, he doesn't want to move on, but is being forced out by the fair weather fans and management. The same management that appears to be the only ones who believe he is worth 40 mil over the next 6 years and a 5.3 hit until 2022. Otherwise I'm sure he would have been dealt by now. But thanks for your input on how Hall's career will play out.

Old
08-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Hall's goal scoring over two years is .388 which would of given him 32 if he playes 82 games last year.

If you just average out last year he would of gotten 36 goals if he would of played a full 82 games. That is pretty good.

The players and the owners better sort their **** out as I want to see hockey start on time to see the Oilers take the next step. I am not expecting them to make the playoffs but I am looking foward to some exciting hockey.
...and considering how he was playing since November, he may have even hit 40 goals. His goals per game average didn't do him justice since he had a bit of a slow start. He was absolutely on fire after scoring that hat trick against the Hawks. He was also on a 4 game goal scoring streak when his season ended so it's not like he was showing signs of slowing down. If anything, he was heating up.

Old
08-25-2012, 09:08 PM
topchowda

Hall is the leader of the big 4. So giving him 6M will be a benchmark for the others in that none will earn more.

I think we can all agree Edmonton isnt a FA hotspot so we have to develop from within. Losing one of the big 4 would hurt way more the running into cap troubles from signing all them.

Giving Hall the money all ensures he feels welcome and the oilers do not run into then problem the habs are having with PK subban and Jets with E Kane.

Old
08-27-2012, 07:10 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

the kid can play. He is explosive and is pure scoring. Haters gonna hate. He needs to quit having fluke injuries. No fighting. Wear helmet at all times. Keep head up. Hes young he will learn. Every team would love this guy on their team

Old
08-27-2012, 07:22 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post

Yeah but the thing is he didn't. He hasn't yet played a full season. Maybe he'll get healthy this summer and stay that way, but maybe the kid's just injury prone and the Oil get stuck with a 7 mil cap hit for a guy who only suits up for 50-70% of their games. And the thing that will make this contract look dumb if he proves to be the latter is that they had plenty of RFA years left to work with.

Old
08-27-2012, 07:27 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Some people are calling this a bad deal?

Old
08-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Some people are calling this a bad deal?
My thoughts exactly. It's comical.

08-27-2012, 11:09 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Yeah but the thing is he didn't. He hasn't yet played a full season. Maybe he'll get healthy this summer and stay that way, but maybe the kid's just injury prone and the Oil get stuck with a 7 mil cap hit for a guy who only suits up for 50-70% of their games. And the thing that will make this contract look dumb if he proves to be the latter is that they had plenty of RFA years left to work with.
How so?

First injury was due to a fight. Second injury was due to a skate to the head in warmup. Third injury is the only legitimate one - persistent shoulder problem.

2/3 injuries are fluke. Matter of fact, Hall coulda played the rest of the season but the recovery time for the shoulder problem is long, so he shut it down early.

Old
08-28-2012, 01:19 AM
Kb21

fair deal if he keeps improving and can play 70+ games a season, but if he is that injury prone kid and will do nothing more then 65 points i can't see this being a good contract. i would of waited until his RFA hit before offering a new deal.

Old
08-28-2012, 05:46 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Hall is the leader of the big 4. So giving him 6M will be a benchmark for the others in that none will earn more.

I think we can all agree Edmonton isnt a FA hotspot so we have to develop from within. Losing one of the big 4 would hurt way more the running into cap troubles from signing all them.

Giving Hall the money all ensures he feels welcome and the oilers do not run into then problem the habs are having with PK subban and Jets with E Kane.
Do you honestly believe that will be the case if the others outplay Hall which by no means is impossible. Do they settle for less money than him then ? It's not like he is a player like Lidstrom who is one of those you dont make more than

Old
08-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Do you honestly believe that will be the case if the others outplay Hall which by no means is impossible. Do they settle for less money than him then ? It's not like he is a player like Lidstrom who is one of those you dont make more than
I think this is exactly the case. Hall is the face of the franchise. What he got will be a big consideration in setting the price for the others. Eberle likely signs a similar deal.

It's not impossible that someone makes a little more. But I would be extremely surprised if all of Hall, Eberle and RNH did not end up with pretty much the same deals.

Yakupov may actually be a little cheaper. BUt even if he does become a prolific scorer, he seems to be tha last guy who is going to pout over money.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:20 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
6 million for 60 games...essentially 1 million for every 10 games this kid plays !!

I don't think keeping his head up has anything to do with any of his injuries...

The first year injury he fell awkwardly after a fight, his second injury he re hurt an old shoulder injury, the next one he fell in warm up to get cut by a skate and the last one he slipped going into a corner and than got ran over when he was basically on his knees.

He has had some terrible luck with injuries over the last two years.. We will see if it is something to be concerned with after this year..

Old
08-28-2012, 12:37 PM
topched88

I dont think this deal is good, I dont think this deal is bad. One of those contracts that could go either way in a few years, I'd say pretty fair for both sides.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched88 View Post
I dont think this deal is good, I dont think this deal is bad. One of those contracts that could go either way in a few years, I'd say pretty fair for both sides.
If it's pretty fair for both sides, wouldn't that be the definition of a good deal? Or are good deals in your mind only deals where one side completely robs the other?

Old
08-28-2012, 01:06 PM
mpp9

He's gonna be a top 5 winger in the game in due time. Has the character and will to go with all his god given talent. You pay the man his money.

Old
08-28-2012, 01:07 PM
WarriorofTime

Hall is the most expendable young Oiler. Yakupov is going to steal his first line spot.

Old
08-28-2012, 01:11 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Hall is the most expendable young Oiler. Yakupov is going to steal his first line spot.
They need as much grit in their top 6 as possible. He's not expendable.

Old
08-28-2012, 01:11 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
How many Oilers games have you watched since Hall joined the team? Just curious.

Closed Thread