HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season III

Old
08-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
I know there are some on this board who feel the owners are making a ton of money and they are being greedy or cheap.

I just don't buy it. The owners would not be risking a lockout to nickel and dime the players. A lockout is going to be a PR disaster for the NHL, Bettman and the owners know this, but the fact that it is almost to that point tells me there really are many teams that will be joining the Coyotes in bankruptcy if something drastic isn't done.

I think part of the NHLPA strategy may be just that fact, that the owners don't want a lockout and will cave, but I just don't see that happening. I think the owners are resolved to wait this out until they get realistic cost assurance from a new CBA, something they clearly didn't get seven years ago.

The players are going to have to eventually realize a model where the majority of the league is losing money, some to the point of BK just isn't going to work. Most of these players cashed in big time, getting contracts far more than what they provide on the ice. It really sucks for a guy like Dustin Brown, but he is a rare example. Most players have come out the last seven years in pretty damn good financial shape.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 08:52 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

We have a resident genius on these matters. PISTON! Calling all Piston!

Phil, please weigh in on this matter.

I can't say enough how truly lucky we are to have so many astute people around here and Piston is among the very best.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 08:53 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I know there are some on this board who feel the owners are making a ton of money and they are being greedy or cheap.

I just don't buy it. The owners would not be risking a lockout to nickel and dime the players. A lockout is going to be a PR disaster for the NHL, Bettman and the owners know this, but the fact that it is almost to that point tells me there really are many teams that will be joining the Coyotes in bankruptcy if something drastic isn't done.

I think part of the NHLPA strategy may be just that fact, that the owners don't want a lockout and will cave, but I just don't see that happening. I think the owners are resolved to wait this out until they get realistic cost assurance from a new CBA, something they clearly didn't get seven years ago.

The players are going to have to eventually realize a model where the majority of the league is losing money, some to the point of BK just isn't going to work. Most of these players cashed in big time, getting contracts far more than what they provide on the ice. It really sucks for a guy like Dustin Brown, but he is a rare example. Most players have come out the last seven years in pretty damn good financial shape.
People don't realize that teams in the RED; would rather not play AT ALL(under the current deal).

So if 18 teams are in the RED, that's a lot of owners that don't even want to start the season.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 08:55 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I'm on the side of nobody. I don't think any of the proposals presented will form a real solution towards fixing anything.

In no business do all the participants rake in a profit. The NHL is the same way. Of course there are going to be have's and have not's. Then you get into what has to be done so make the have not's sustainable so that the league can grow in some fashion. Considering the losses taken on by many of the have-not's, that's simply impossible. For me, the realization hits that the NHL is not popular or profitable enough to sustain 30 teams.

The sooner the 30 team charade is stopped, the league can begin to grow and become profitable so that this doesn't happen. Until it doesn't, this will happen every time the CBA expires. The revenue split between the owners and players is not the real problem. The owners and players can argue about it all they like but it's like putting a bandaid on a gash that is in serious need of stitching. There are too many teams who have been either propped up by the NHL or encountered financial problems that were of no fault of their own, but rather because they are not supported by local residents in a way that a professional sports team should be.

That being said I do have a problem with rollback proposals on contracts that have been agreed to by both team and player. That is wrong. I know that's how things have to be done when the revenue split changes but those were agreements that both parties made in good faith.
I believe the NFL is the only league ALL Teams make money.

Even Jacksonville with ZERO fans. Cause the TV contract is SOOOOO HUGE.

You can put the NFL anywhere in the US. It will make money, regardless of fan base. The TV deal (alone) will keep the team in the Green.

Last edited by damacles1156: 08-27-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old
08-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Booo hooo.

I was a Marine for 7 years making 35k a year, about 27 cents an hour(Marine 24 hours a day, seven days a week). Three tours to Iraq, Getting shot at on a regular basis. I still only make about 55k in my career field now....

Cry me a river...... Those poor NHL players....
OBVIOUSLY you could find careers with much more dire circumstances. I completely 100% agree.

But that whole post was in reference to the poster calling it "A game" and acting as if these guys are just out there without a care in the world, having sacrificed nothing and getting paid bank for it.

That's not the case. These guys make A LOT of sacrifices, and HAVE BEEN making a lot of sacrifices to be at this level since...**** they were probably 8 or 9 years old.

OF COURSE there are professions, like our civil servants and military serviceman and woman who in comparison...this all seems very silly. But in all honesty if you compared everything to the extreme then it would seem silly right?

Don't get your Jimmies all rustled. I am COMPLETELY on the side of the owners here. The players need to wake up and realize that the league, and the way the contracts are being paid out and structured, is not sustainable. They can take a cut in their money and help EVERYONE out.

BUT that doesn't mean that these are a bunch of privileged babies who haven't had to make any sacrifices in this world to get where they are. They worked hard, harder than most, and they deserve to be heard in the negotiations. 90/10 is laughable, so is the attitude of "Well they are already making millions they should just give the owners what they want."

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:34 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
OBVIOUSLY you could find careers with much more dire circumstances. I completely 100% agree.

But that whole post was in reference to the poster calling it "A game" and acting as if these guys are just out there without a care in the world, having sacrificed nothing and getting paid bank for it.

That's not the case. These guys make A LOT of sacrifices, and HAVE BEEN making a lot of sacrifices to be at this level since...**** they were probably 8 or 9 years old.

OF COURSE there are professions, like our civil servants and military serviceman and woman who in comparison...this all seems very silly. But in all honesty if you compared everything to the extreme then it would seem silly right?

Don't get your Jimmies all rustled. I am COMPLETELY on the side of the owners here. The players need to wake up and realize that the league, and the way the contracts are being paid out and structured, is not sustainable. They can take a cut in their money and help EVERYONE out.

BUT that doesn't mean that these are a bunch of privileged babies who haven't had to make any sacrifices in this world to get where they are. They worked hard, harder than most, and they deserve to be heard in the negotiations. 90/10 is laughable, so is the attitude of "Well they are already making millions they should just give the owners what they want."
I think 50/50 is a fair deal both sides should try and get too. If I was an owner I would even be open to trying what the NBA (players) agreed too. A Sliding scale that goes to 52.3 for players if the Teams in RED make money.

Old
08-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

So much for most of the responses in this thread I made.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...933&highlight=

Now the lock out is inevitable.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:50 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

This has been the concern all along. It is the reason imo that the players came in with such a friendly offer. They knew that the owners were seriously considering lock out plans prior to the start of this past season and that a lock out would be likely.

I believe that the NHLPA has positioned themselves to look like the more reasonable of the two parties and have made the owners look like they are simply being greedy. Now I am not saying that either side is perfectly right only that both sides knew that we would be where we are at this point in time prior to the end of this past season and that what we are seeing now is the sort of posturing that happens when people are preparing to actually fight.

Either way we will again be the pawns.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Rusty Batch

My problem with sports ownership is that I dont see it as a business. I think these guys are super rich and the reason they buy franchises is just for fun. Some of these uber rich guys spend a 100 mil on a yacht, I cant believe they would complain about their yachts losing them money...

If your sports franchise isnt making money for you well you still get the best seats in the house, get to invite all of your friends, rub shoulders with athletes, run a sports franchise, etc...

Basically these rich guys get to live out there childhood fantasy and they are upset that they aren't MAKING money? please. Go invest those 100's of million in boring ish and get 3% back. Owning a sports franchise isnt about making money its about having fun, anyone making money should be ecstatic.

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:58 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
My problem with sports ownership is that I dont see it as a business. I think these guys are super rich and the reason they buy franchises is just for fun. Some of these uber rich guys spend a 100 mil on a yacht, I cant believe they would complain about their yachts losing them money...

If your sports franchise isnt making money for you well you still get the best seats in the house, get to invite all of your friends, rub shoulders with athletes, run a sports franchise, etc...

Basically these rich guys get to live out there childhood fantasy and they are upset that they aren't MAKING money? please. Go invest those 100's of million in boring ish and get 3% back. Owning a sports franchise isnt about making money its about having fun, anyone making money should be ecstatic.
What difference does it make whether they bought the team as a business or as a hobby? They bought the team and they have a right to try to not lose money by providing entertainment for us.

I'm just tired of this 99% bull ****.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
What difference does it make whether they bought the team as a business or as a hobby? They bought the team and they have a right to try to not lose money by providing entertainment for us.

I'm just tired of this 99% bull ****.
You and me both brother. People just seem to not get it. Not to make this political, but the scapegoating of modern society is pretty sad. People hate seeing others successful. If they are it must be because they cheated...cause i'm not successful.

It's garbage and it's everywhere.

Old
08-28-2012, 09:53 AM
johnjm22

I don't think anyone is saying they don't have a right to try and be profitable.

I think people are annoyed that owners have been financially irresponsible, and in many cases knowingly put themselves in the red.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Hammond weighs in on the battle over the new cba:

Quote:
The issues are relatively clear. At the end of the 2004-05 lockout, the league put in place a salary cap, and tied the rise and fall of that cap (and floor) to revenues. If the league, in general, did well, the players would do well, by virtue of the cap ceiling rising (and their salaries correspondingly rising). Now, the league is asking that the players’ share of that revenue split be reduced, from 57 percent to something in the range of 43-46 percent (depending on which report you read). It’s a pretty staggering change. Seven years ago, the owners railroaded the players, absolutely crushed them, and got everything they wanted. Now, seven years later, they’re coming back to the table and saying, “It’s not enough.” Frankly, I’m having trouble rousing empathy for the owners. They got the exact system they wanted, with the economic certainty they demanded, and now they’re essentially coming back to the players and saying, “Yes, we got cost certainty, but we didn’t go far enough.” Whose fault is that? Seven years ago, the owners did make compelling arguments. They opened their books, showed how much money they were losing, and made convincing arguments that the current system was not sustainable. They were correct. This time around, I haven’t heard anything compelling. It’s not terribly far from me complaining to Amazon.com that they’re charging too much money to my credit card, even though I’m the one who made the purchases. Whose fault is it that the New Jersey Devils gave stupid money to Ilya Kovalchuk? There’s only one logical answer…
more here: http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/08/28...ess-this-week/

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Does anyone understand what the word "contract", apparently Hammond doesn't.

I am one of the few who kind of likes Hammond as a hockey writer, but he is clueless about finances, and his analogy sucks.

The financial ignorance of some people is just amazing. We are not even talking the complicated aspects of this CBA, some people think because the owners won the last time that they are obligated to keep things the same even though they are bleeding red ink, sorry the world doesn't work that way.

You notice you never hear the players talking about this part of it, because they are not stupid, these guys look for drastic changes in their salaries when their contracts come up. How dumb would Drew Doughty for example look if he said the owners should keep the status quo, a guy who went from making 925k a year to almost 7 million once his contract ended, it would be hypocritical.

This is a whole new ballgame, what happened seven years ago means nothing.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
You and me both brother. People just seem to not get it. Not to make this political, but the scapegoating of modern society is pretty sad. People hate seeing others successful. If they are it must be because they cheated...cause i'm not successful.

Agreed 100%. It's amazing how being successful is used against you in today's society. OMG! he's a millionaire, he is evil, he must have made his money at my expense!!!

And just because sports owners are millionaires does not mean they should be expected to lose tens of millions of dollars so people like us can enjoy hockey.

And to answer the other guy, no there aren't people lined up to buy sports franchises, maybe the Yankees, Lakers, Dodgers and Canadiens, but not the average teams. Alot of people lost alot of wealth over the past few years.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:53 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I think people are annoyed that owners have been financially irresponsible, and in many cases knowingly put themselves in the red.
That's my biggest pet peeve about the whole thing. As a league, having the vast majority of (if not all) franchises making money is healthy. However, with the ridiculous contracts that have been thrown around just in the last couple of months (but not limited to that time frame - last summer was no different), it's hard to sympathize with an owner crying poor.

The owners are looking to the CBA to save them from themselves, and wanting the players to take less money. If the owners had been responsible with contracts in the first place, the players wouldn't be making too much money for the franchises to support.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Does anyone understand what the word "contract", apparently Hammond doesn't.

I am one of the few who kind of likes Hammond as a hockey writer, but he is clueless about finances, and his analogy sucks.

The financial ignorance of some people is just amazing. We are not even talking the complicated aspects of this CBA, some people think because the owners won the last time that they are obligated to keep things the same even though they are bleeding red ink, sorry the world doesn't work that way.

You notice you never hear the players talking about this part of it, because they are not stupid, these guys look for drastic changes in their salaries when their contracts come up. How dumb would Drew Doughty for example look if he said the owners should keep the status quo, a guy who went from making 925k a year to almost 7 million once his contract ended, it would be hypocritical.

This is a whole new ballgame, what happened seven years ago means nothing.
I agree with this entirely. Unfortunately SO MANY PEOPLE have bad tastes in their mouth remembering the last CBA and how "The owners got everything they wanted."

If they would just let go of that fact and go into the negotiations with a focus on the here and now...something might have been worked out by now.

But no. All I am hearing from the NHLPA and the players is "Well, I mean we gave them everything they wanted last time and it didn't work...so...ya know...screw them now."

Even if right now concessions from the players is what we need (Which I honestly think it IS what we need to avoid a lockout and/or serious financial instability in the league) they aren't going to give them that because they are all holding a shiv behind their backs labeled "CBA 2004-05"

That's why I am on the side of the owners. They have come out and said, yea we made mistakes, we really did. 2005 we thought we were getting it right but we weren't. We have some big loopholes in the CBA, loopholes that we overlooked, and we ourselves exploited. We need your help to get out of this. And the players response is: "Yea just like you needed our help in 2005 right? **** you."

It's sad, but the weight of 05 is weighing on the negotiations seven years later.

And honestly, it's very few owners who have exploited and put this league in a bad place. And once that loophole was exploited by some garbage GMs (Cough cough Steve Tambellini) it became status quo of PLAYERS AND THEIR AGENTS to DEMAND that much money from teams.

And here is the kicker...I know people will say, "well gee golly if you don't want to pay a guy that much then just don't pay him." Alright that sounds good, but then you get holdouts of players...ala Doughty...ala Turris...and you get the few stupid GMs willing to shell out bad money and bad contracts, and good players go to the same teams. Then you get arbitrators who base decisions off league wide contracts...and those stupid contracts offered out by stupid owners/gms drive up the price for the entire league. It's just a banana peel one after the other after that. Bad GMs taint the market, players play along like they always do, good GMs, fiscally responsible GM's struggle to play the game and stay in the black, and when the time comes for someone to say enough is enough, the players say.."well this was your system to begin with, you made your bed now lie in it." and play innocent.

NO. It needs to be concessions, from both sides. The players have to cut salaries and stop acting like their agents and they didn't perpetuate the pattern of horrible contracts and ungodly money with demands, hold-outs and arbitrations..

And the NHL needs to clean up or ship out the GM's who ****ed the system and opened this wound in the first place. (Tambellini, Holmgren, Lamoriello, etc.)

Last edited by Jason Lewis: 08-28-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old
08-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the league...they need to not be pushovers sometimes.

They need a stronger stance on contracts. If a contract comes across their desk that they don't feel is good for the league...they need to not worry about the feelings of the players and just deny the mother****er.

Yea it'll probably hurt the players feelings a little bit, and they will be butt hurt cause they don't get the contract they want...but when you come back with.."Hey sorry, but this contract was not healthy for the league.." what is the player going to say? uhh soo what I want my money?

Old
08-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I realize that the league...they need to not be pushovers sometimes.

They need a stronger stance on contracts. If a contract comes across their desk that they don't feel is good for the league...they need to not worry about the feelings of the players and just deny the mother****er.

Yea it'll probably hurt the players feelings a little bit, and they will be butt hurt cause they don't get the contract they want...but when you come back with.."Hey sorry, but this contract was not healthy for the league.." what is the player going to say? uhh soo what I want my money?
See, I disagree with this. While it may seem like a good idea, I don't think I want the league dictating teams personnel decisions.

I may think it's laughable how much Penner, Stoll, Jones, Leino etc. make, but it's not the leagues job to dictate terms of a contract, unless it is blatant cap circumvention. With the way the current system is set-up this is the market value for these players, especially with the floor artifiicially increasing the value of middle of the road, average players.

They need to fix the HRI issue and either eliminate or drastically reduce the floor and tweak the ceiling and that would be a start, although as others have said, without contraction there are always going to be issues everytime the CBA comes up.

Old
08-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

It may be overstepping the boundaries a bit I agree.

I just feel like...there are certain GMs and owners in the league who will push the envelope for the sake of an advantage unfortunately. There are other ways of dealing with that then what I said obviously.

Old
08-28-2012, 02:35 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Winger23,

The problem is the cap floor. The floor drives up the salaries for everyone. There are only so many star players in the league, and with many of them signed to long term "cap friendly" contracts, teams are forced to spend and thus you see guys like Penner and Stoll cash in because that is what their comps are getting.

I have said many times, and will say it again. It is not the money being paid to the guys who put butts in the seat that is killing the salary structure. It's the type of money Penner, Stoll, Jones, Leino, Wideman and Souray are getting. The Kings could give Kopitar 10-11 million a season and the ROI both on the ice and at the box office would still be a +. I just don't see how you are getting a positive ROI out of paying Penner and Stoll almost $7 mill a season.

That, and a 57% take for the players, in this economy is borderline ridiculous and not close to being in line with the other leagues.
Why are Penner and Stoll even being mentioned with those guys? Both took PAYCUTS on this contract and rightfully so. The other guys all signed UFA contracts where they got stupid raises.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Why are Penner and Stoll even being mentioned with those guys? Both took PAYCUTS on this contract and rightfully so. The other guys all signed UFA contracts where they got stupid raises.
It's simple really.

Stoll's last contract was signed with the idea that he would be a similar player to what he was in 2006. A 2nd line center capable of scoring 65-70 points a season, he was signed for $3.5 million. Penner was offer sheeted by the Oilers, which changes things a little bit, but he was still coming off a 30 goal season at age 24, and was seen as having a ton of potential, which he never really lived up to, but it was a gamble that could have paid off for the Oilers.

Flash forward to today.

Stoll is now a 3rd line center, coming off a 21 point season, now I am no Stoll fan but even I will admit 21 points was a bit of a fluke, but even before that with top 6 icetime and tons of PP time, Stoll never once cracked 50 points with the Kings. I think realistically Stoll's future role is a 30 point energy player who is good in the circle. Agreed?

Do you not see the problem in the salary structure here, in four years, Stoll has gone from a 65+ point second line center to a 30 point 3rd line energy player, yet his salary is almost identical (3.5 vs. 3.2). This kind of thing is happening all over the league, and it's why we won't have hockey for awhile.

I'm sorry, that is unrealistic compensation growth, and the contracts being given to the average players is what is really hurting people, because they don't draw. We can debate Jarret Stoll and Dustin Penner's merits on the ice all night, but even you, as maybe Stoll's biggest fan on this board can admit, no one is taking the family to Staples to see Jarret Stoll, no one is buying Stoll merchandise, they are buying Doughty and Quick jerseys and going to see Kopitar and Brown play, that is why the ROI for star players is not a problem. The Kings could pay Kopitar or Quick 11 million a year and it's a far less bigger problem than Penner and Stoll getting 7 combined.

Old
08-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
They need to fix the HRI issue and either eliminate or drastically reduce the floor and tweak the ceiling and that would be a start, although as others have said, without contraction there are always going to be issues everytime the CBA comes up.
Yeah I agree. I'm not a smart man but it seems to me it is pretty simple what needs to happen. The rich owners and/or the players need to support the owners who can't turn a profit or they need to fold some of these franchises. Some of them probably (Phoenix) need to be folded anyway. I don't understand how they can force a franchise to spend more on personnel than they can make in revenue. That is just a recipe for failure. On the flipside, if the players don't want to budge on the CAP floor issue, there are going to be teams that go out of business and jobs will be lost. ANd of course, nobody is going to be making any money this year. The Owners and Players might as well start factoring in a work stoppage on their balance sheet for every 7 years. The only one winning in that scenario are the owners who can't turn a profit because their losses are $0 when they don't play.

And I can almost guarantee the players will cave again. Their careers and earning power are finite. ANother season lost is another season of lost salary and a year of their career down the tubes. The owners (especially the ones in the red) are probably content to ride this out. What is really stupid is they are eventually going to come to an agreement but it is going to take a work stoppage to come to it.

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 08-28-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:13 PM
JT8888

Quote:

Ha... fight blanket statement with blanket statement. It's garbage and it's everywhere 99% and 1%

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Oh and I just bought a 47" TV that will be used for watching football every Saturday and Sunday this Fall/Winter. I'm sure I'll come back to the NHL just like a crack ***** goes to her pimp but I hope that if and when the NHL does return, their revenue stream is effected. They deserve some punishment from the fans for this because that is the party they aren't factoring in at the negotiating table. The owners don't exist without the players. The players don't exist without the owners. NEITHER exist without the fans.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote