HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 WHL Bantam Draft

Old
08-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Capitals03

vCash: 500
I think the to 3 would be Howden over Kubic. Kubic is not have a great spring this past season. I do think playing against AA last year hurt him alittle. He was very good in PW. Too bad they don't attend the big tournaments. So it will be hard to judge these kids with their equals in Alb,BC and Sask.

Capitals03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:18 PM
archie20

Kubic's spring is still made up of friends, not the best players...The Steelers team was one of the only teams that didnt bring better players in...from what I understand, thats the route they wanted to take. Friends and a good parent group was more important. When you do that, you have to balance the lines or D pairings....All of the other teams bring players in...Winning for some is more important. As well, Kubics spring team had a few of there better players playing hurt...it's a long year, Subway is one tournament, and kids are only 14...a lot of growing and maturing stilll to go....btw... Kubic is a very good goalie

archie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Capitals03

He is a very good goalie period. The Jr Steelers make up the best from MB. He will get drafted. But you only have 3 major tournaments all year ( St Albert,MH and Subway) That is where you can really play against the best 98's. They were one of the favorites to win the Subway. It was not in the cards this year.

Old
08-28-2012, 02:16 PM
dumpitandchaseit

I agree with both statements - Howden should be a top 3 guy and Kubic is an excellent goalie. The Jr Steelers will have at least 10 kids from that team get picked somewhere in the 'Dub' draft - and a few will be early round picks. They may not have had a great Subway tourney but 1 tourney does not define anyone's ability. Time will tell but I like a lot of their chances moving forward.

dumpitandchaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpitandchaseit View Post
I agree with both statements - Howden should be a top 3 guy and Kubic is an excellent goalie. The Jr Steelers will have at least 10 kids from that team get picked somewhere in the 'Dub' draft - and a few will be early round picks. They may not have had a great Subway tourney but 1 tourney does not define anyone's ability. Time will tell but I like a lot of their chances moving forward.
are Howden and Kubic both 98's?

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:28 PM
archie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
are Howden and Kubic both 98's?
Both 98's

Old
08-28-2012, 11:25 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Steel and Bendon are the real deal. Dominated the WHL prospects camp in Early August.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:50 AM
archie20

You mean Benson?

Old
08-30-2012, 01:42 PM
ScoutingBC

Top BC Goalies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitals03 View Post
Top 10 ranked players and Top 5 goalies from WEHP
8 from AB
4 from MA
3 from BC
0 from SA

Players -98 location
Kale Clague- AB
Tyler Benson-AB
Jaeger White-BC
Sam Steel-AB
Dante Fabbro-BC
Brett Howden-MA
Nolan Patrick-MA
David Quenneville-AB
Dylan Thiessen-MA
Parker Aucoin-AB

Goalies -Location and ranking
Ryan Kubic-MA – 23
Tyler Shugrue-BC - 36
Stuart Skinner-AB – 38
Kyle Dumba-AB – 49
Kurtis Chapman-AB -55
I would definitely not rank Shugrue as “the” top-ranked goalie in BC, if only because there is not a clear #1 ’98 goalie prospect in BC. He would make my list of the top five goalie prospects, which is (in alphabetical order):

Josh Barrett
Jeremy Kelleway
Tyler Shugrue
Nic Tallarico
Brody Wilms

Barrett has the best size and athleticism in this group. A tremendous work ethic, quick legs and is unflappable in tight games. Looking long term I suspect he has the best potential for future development. If Jordan Sigalet can further tighten his fundamentals he should be a good mid-round pick.

Kelleway’s development has really tapered off in the last year and he seems to have zero commitment to fitness (those two observations are probably connected). Without better fitness and a growth spurt this season the likelihood of him being drafted is slim at best ... lesser talents with better size will surely be taken ahead of him. I’d have to put him at #5 on my list.

(NOTE: Both Barrett and Kelleway are in Semiahmoo this year, which gives them great strength in goal. But it won’t be enough to overcome Semi's complete lack of defence and extremely limited offense – Michael Regush IS a stud, but can’t be expected to carry the whole squad.)

Shugrue runs hot and cold based on what I’ve seen, which is often typical of those who play an unorthodox style. Mental toughness is a real question too. When he is “on” he’s as good as anyone on this list, but his consistency needs to improve … and it’s probably why he played so few games for BWC last season. He'll get plenty of exposure on the Winter Club team and will be worth taking a flyer on, but I wouldn't risk a high pick.

Tallarico is the most technically sound of this group. Thoroughly trained. But there’s obviously more to goaltending than technical proficiency, and it shows up in his results against top squads who exploit his lack of size and inability to cover the net in scrums and crease-play. If only he were 6 inches taller ... wow!

Wilms has gone to OHA this season (along with some other strong skaters from the Lower Mainland) and he gives them a real boost in net. He’s a steady performer with a solid work ethic and the extra “Love” (Tyler Love is OHA’s Goalie coach) he gets at OHA will only improve his chances of being drafted.

I'll try to address Forwards and D-men later.

ScoutingBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Capitals03

I would have to say that the VS Blues goalies have both struggled since Atom. Both of them were the weakest point of the Selects since Atom days.Watching Brad pull both of them in many games. I would put Nathan Lange way above these goalies. But he does have the same issues as the Surrey goalie.
Lange did very well this past Spring. I have never heard of one of these goalies, but that does not mean anything. Shugure is hot and cold sometimes. He did not play alot last winter who would with the 97 goalie they had. Spring was a different story not a bad game. If he is cold at all this season BWC will be in trouble.
Lange would be in the top three along side NT and TS. Lange played on the A1 last season and his spring season proved that. while the 2 Selects goalies played on A2 teams and did not have the high caliber practices that the others did. NT,NL and TS all had A1 players practicing on them all season. Langley with Gingras, Lansdell,Gerth will come out on top at the end. Langley just has too much size and speed.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:51 AM
IslandScout
Rookie User

I do like that comments and opinions of coaches,parents and on lookers. As for the 98 goalies that some on wanted a review 98 in BC. We really have no idea on work ethic on any of these goalies. You mentioned 2 of the Blue Select goalies and 2 from Semi with high praise. Of these goalies mentioned not one made the A1 team in 2011-2012. The three in question are average goalies. I did watch the Challendge Cup tournament and Lange did play well with a sub par def.

Barrett has the best size and athleticism in this group. You have lost your creditabilty. I am sure he is a good goalie , but to try to rank him as the top goalie in BC is just silly.

I have no problem ranking them in order. Until he has a few bad games I can't see anyone above Shugre at this point. The season is long and it does help when you have a good def group in front of you. I believe he has had the same Def group for 3 years. This does make a difference.

Shugrue - based on size, history of big games, speed.
Lange- great glove, and net presence.
Tallarico- great glove and speed. Needs size and work down low.

The other three goalies you had mentioned are in with everyone else. I did see the VS Blues play against Mercurys in Winnipeg. They made them look very average at best. Which is all I can compare when I saw them play the Vipers against Shugure.

All good comments of these players and goalies for the upcoming season.

IslandScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:29 AM
ScoutingBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitals03 View Post
I would have to say that the VS Blues goalies have both struggled since Atom. Both of them were the weakest point of the Selects since Atom days.Watching Brad pull both of them in many games. I would put Nathan Lange way above these goalies. But he does have the same issues as the Surrey goalie.
Lange did very well this past Spring. I have never heard of one of these goalies, but that does not mean anything. Shugure is hot and cold sometimes. He did not play alot last winter who would with the 97 goalie they had. Spring was a different story not a bad game. If he is cold at all this season BWC will be in trouble.
Lange would be in the top three along side NT and TS. Lange played on the A1 last season and his spring season proved that. while the 2 Selects goalies played on A2 teams and did not have the high caliber practices that the others did. NT,NL and TS all had A1 players practicing on them all season. Langley with Gingras, Lansdell,Gerth will come out on top at the end. Langley just has too much size and speed.

CAPITOLS 03

First, that any player/goalie played A1 or A2 or House (or didn't play at all) last year is … totally irrelevant. I could not care less what team a boy played for last year. I assess on-ice ability on what I see on the ice (second year bantam).

Second, your pre-occupation with pumping Lange in Langley makes me suspect you share the same roof (maybe even the same skin) with Island “Scout”. :-)

Old
09-06-2012, 12:37 AM
ScoutingBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScout View Post
I do like that comments and opinions of coaches,parents and on lookers. As for the 98 goalies that some on wanted a review 98 in BC. We really have no idea on work ethic on any of these goalies. You mentioned 2 of the Blue Select goalies and 2 from Semi with high praise. Of these goalies mentioned not one made the A1 team in 2011-2012. The three in question are average goalies. I did watch the Challendge Cup tournament and Lange did play well with a sub par def.

Barrett has the best size and athleticism in this group. You have lost your creditabilty. I am sure he is a good goalie , but to try to rank him as the top goalie in BC is just silly.

I have no problem ranking them in order. Until he has a few bad games I can't see anyone above Shugre at this point. The season is long and it does help when you have a good def group in front of you. I believe he has had the same Def group for 3 years. This does make a difference.

Shugrue - based on size, history of big games, speed.
Lange- great glove, and net presence.
Tallarico- great glove and speed. Needs size and work down low.

The other three goalies you had mentioned are in with everyone else. I did see the VS Blues play against Mercurys in Winnipeg. They made them look very average at best. Which is all I can compare when I saw them play the Vipers against Shugure.

All good comments of these players and goalies for the upcoming season.

ISLAND “SCOUT”

Are you kidding? I don’t know of a Scout worth his clipboard who would not have a damn sure idea about a players’ work ethic.
Despite the moniker you’ve chosen, you’re obviously not a ‘scout” at all, but a heavily biased mom or dad. Which is a-o-k … so long as you don’t pretend to be something else.
Let me explain it briefly. IF you’re a real scout, you not only know a player’s athletic work ethic but you also know his academic abilities/interests. And the list goes on … you know if he works with a position coach, or a shooting coach, or an off-ice trainer. And you know what else? You talk to these people! And if they are serious about what they do, they tell you the unvarnished truth. Because their reputation matters to them. IF you’re a scout, you know how tall the kid’s parents are and what their athletic backgrounds are. Heck, if his Grandpa (on his mother’s side) was an Olympic bronze medalist in 1968 you’ve made a note of that too. Cuz when your GM or your Coach asks you WHY you are recommending they use (or NOT use) a precious draft pick on kid X, you better know more about him than what is obvious to anyone who watches him play three shifts.

As for your claim that I ranked Barret as the top goalie in BC … your just plain wrong. I was actually pretty careful to announce that my list was “alphabetical”. (If that word was too long, you could always look it up;-) In fact, I really only suggested that he’ll probably be worth picking up in a middle round.

Your comment about Shugrue is the start of some good thinking. I mean, it’s pure speculation how he would look playing for Aldergrove or North Delta. Unlike Tallarico, for example, there is no overwhelming evidence of technical ability watching Tyler. Any observer will recognize Tallarico’s mechanical skills, even playing for Surrey.

Interestingly, you’re the second poster (but maybe the same person?) who’s tried to suggest that Lange is in the elite class of goalies. And I know he has somehow gotten good PR elsewhere, but IMO it is out of all proportion to his abilities. He’s small, often disinterested/sulky, and of the sort of personality that will not ‘fit’ well in a major jr program. All of this could change of course, but until it does he only makes the last spot on my top 10.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:51 AM
ScoutingBC

I wanted to get to my list of top D-men tonight, but I've run out of time due to my two earlier posts. Suffice to say that BWC has the cream of the crop. Barberis and Fabbro are 1 and 2 on my list of Defensemen, and in my top 5 overall.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:13 AM
ScoutingBC

BC Defencemen - Top 10 List

Just wanted to tap-out my Top 10 D-men in BC (in order):
1. Barberis (BWC). Talk to the folks at the Giants Academy in Tsawassen and they’ll tell you that this guy is totally dedicated, with serious hockey smarts. As long as he can still grow a bit, he will flourish in Major Jr.
2. Fabbro (BWC). More flash than Barberis, and likely to end up with more size so … it’s a toss-up between these two. Matt wins on heart and work-ethic, but I suppose Dante has more offensive upside. Either way, these are Top-5 overall guys in my BC book.
3. Ginetti. BWC is ridiculous on Defence.
4. Josh Anderson, from the Island. Wish we could watch him play more games against top-flight squads.
5. Rizzolo is another good pick up for OHA. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re stronger than POE this season.
6. Cholowski, the liquid-smooth skater from Langley. Not sure he’s getting the respect he deserves these days. Small-ish, but so poised and smart.
7. Purhar, yet another from BWC … their Defence is crazy good.
8. Carter Stevenson from West Van. The only high-end player at a very high-end Country Club.
9. Turanski, one of the few big Defencemen this year.
And finally, the biggest defencemen …
10. Paivarinta from Abbotsford. The potential of that size adding some skills makes him worth putting on this list.

Old
09-09-2012, 02:13 AM
ScoutingBC

Surprise move

Just learned today that Josh Barrett has actually gone to BWC!
So let me see ... the Bruins have easily the most skilled Defensive corps AND the the strongest Goalie tandem in Western Canada. The rich get richer.
I suppose the only question is: Can BWC score enough goals in the games that will matter most? I'll elaborate on that when I finally(!) post my list of Top Forwads in BC.

Old
09-11-2012, 12:32 PM
ScoutingBC

TOP FORWARDS in BC

This brief list of mine might look a little weird to some. All the obvious guys are there of course, but their positions may surprise. Keep in mind that these are a forecast as much as an assessment of present fact. Also bear in mind that there is as much art to scouting as there is science, and I make full use of my instincts.
1. Luke Gingras, Langley. He has obvious talent and size, but this a “gut” call on my part to put him this high. Call it a hunch. I just really like this player and I think his chances of achieving significant success in Junior is very high.
2. Tyson Jost, POE. I don’t know why this guy isn’t in more conversations about top F in BC.
3. Jaeger White. A pure goal-scorer with wicked shooting skills, but … I’m actually tempted to have him in the #5 spot, behind both Kryski and Hanooun, maybe because I suspect the whispers about him being fragile could be true. If he survives physically and can produce big numbers, I won’t mind being wrong.
4. Dante Hanoun, NSWC. Though highly skilled he is small-ish. He’s gotta show some growth though or he’ll slip down a notch or two.
5. Jake Kryski, BWC. What hands! I really think I might switch his place on this list with White’s. I know, putting White in the #5 spot is contrary to what almost everyone else is saying, but I’ve got my doubts about Jaeger AND – like Gingras – I just have a strong hunch about Kryski. (Not very scientific, is it?)
6. Michael Regush, Semiahmoo. Needs to add strength and a bit of size, but his vision is unreal. Unfortunately he’s got no-one to play with in Semi. I’m also not sure his parents will let him go major junior, but his skills put him right up there.
7. Trevor Ayre, POE. Very nice all-round package … good vision, hands, solid two-way F who buries his scoring chances.
8. Kody McDonald, POE. Together with Jost and Ayre POE can ice a top-line as good as anyone else.
9-15. Sorry to be fuzzy at this point folks, but these next few are tough to slot in any meaningful way right now. The names I’ll mention could go in just about any order for me at this point, though the Super Series coming up at BWC in a few days will help shape my thinking going forward. So here we go, in no particular order:
Beck Malenstyn (OHA) … Kyle Uy (BWC) … Tak Anholt (NSWC) … Joel Murga (POE) … and I’ve heard strong comments coming out of tryouts for Kylishbeck (BWC) … all will be interesting to watch.
Unfortunately I won’t be able to see a couple other players that I like compete this weekend … Nathan McCarnan (Vcr) is a rugged talent who could figure in the Top 15, and I was impressed by the size/strength/presence of Spencer Gerth (Langley) this Spring.

Okay, the top 5 or 6 are obviously solid, though many will think I’ve put them in the wrong order. Call me stubborn or stupid for not betting on Jaeger White to go #1 at this point … but time will tell. And I’m always willing to change my mind. LOTS can change over the next 6 months.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:25 PM
ScoutingBC

Update

Here’s how my evaluation of some of the top guys has been affected through the last couple weeks of exhibition games and the Super Series. I’ll use a simple PLUS, MINUS, NO CHANGE system.
(All athletes are listed alphabetically, and by position.)

Forward
Gingras – MINUS … has not yet showed the ability to dominate, except against weak opposition.
Jost – PLUS ... my new #1 Forward in BC.
White – NO CHANGE … still out with injury.
Hanoun – NO CHANGE ... thought he would show more flash, more finish, but still looked plenty good.
Jake Kryski _ NO CHANGE … same comment as for Hanoun.
McDonald – PLUS … POE has at least two real game-changers.
Malenstyn – PLUS … looks like most of OHA’s offensive output will have to come from him.

Defence
Barberis – NO CHANGE … that’s not a knock, he’s just so steady, so reliable.
Fabbro – PLUS ... didn’t think I could be more impressed but he could possibly go 1st overall.
Anderson – PLUS … wish he could have played for any US team in that Super Series, would love to watch him deal with the likes of Jost, Kryski, Hanooun.
Cholowski – NO CHANGE … still solidly among top 10 D-men.
Paivarinta – MINUS … discipline problems and a shortage of skills.

Goalie
Josh Barrett – NO CHANGE … apparently stuck in PCAHA paperwork.
Jeremy Kelleway – NO CHANGE … only saw one game, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Tyler Shugrue – MINUS … looked very shaky in one game, okay in another.
Nic Tallarico – PLUS … good speed, skills are solid, and he seems a little taller.
Brody Wilms – NO CHANGE … one good, one not-so-good.

Old
09-21-2012, 10:37 PM
41stealth

Top Bc players

what I find most interesting is that three of the highest impact players talked about on this board in the BC player lists really aren't BC players, they are Alberta players who have moved to BC just for hockey. Thus the list for potential Alberta draft picks gets even more impressive and the BC list considerably less impressive.
The players in question are White (med hat) MacDonald (lethbridge) and Jost (edmonton area).

41stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Capitals03

So Scout BC what team do you scout for?
Just asking?

I am not Island Scout, I also liked a goalie from the Hawks- Kubic in previous comments saw him play in St Albert last year, but you did not mention that. I am not one of them either. Thats ok.
Shugrue did not look great against the Kings, Dallas was a better showing. So he is kinda up and down. Williams was kinda the same. One good one could have been better.
POE goalies did well in the super series. Barrett was cut this week to the A2 team at BWC. NSWC is going to have bigger problems in net then any of the strong teams. They did not look good at the super series at all.

Old
09-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
does Kyle Dumba have any relation to Matt Dumba?

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Capitals03

they are brothers

Old
10-09-2012, 11:23 PM
habsrule4eva3089

How good is Tyler Benson? 26 points in 5 games thus far. It's early, but over 5 points per game is quite impressive.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41stealth View Post
Jaeger moved there in March and played Spring Hockey out there.
That Spring team will have the top two lines of forwards and D all being drafted. Was a real treat to go watch play. White moved to BWC but a couple of the others who BWC wanted stayed with their associations.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutingBC View Post
This brief list of mine might look a little weird to some. All the obvious guys are there of course, but their positions may surprise. Keep in mind that these are a forecast as much as an assessment of present fact. Also bear in mind that there is as much art to scouting as there is science, and I make full use of my instincts.
1. Luke Gingras, Langley. He has obvious talent and size, but this a “gut” call on my part to put him this high. Call it a hunch. I just really like this player and I think his chances of achieving significant success in Junior is very high.
2. Tyson Jost, POE. I don’t know why this guy isn’t in more conversations about top F in BC.
3. Jaeger White. A pure goal-scorer with wicked shooting skills, but … I’m actually tempted to have him in the #5 spot, behind both Kryski and Hanooun, maybe because I suspect the whispers about him being fragile could be true. If he survives physically and can produce big numbers, I won’t mind being wrong.
4. Dante Hanoun, NSWC. Though highly skilled he is small-ish. He’s gotta show some growth though or he’ll slip down a notch or two.
5. Jake Kryski, BWC. What hands! I really think I might switch his place on this list with White’s. I know, putting White in the #5 spot is contrary to what almost everyone else is saying, but I’ve got my doubts about Jaeger AND – like Gingras – I just have a strong hunch about Kryski. (Not very scientific, is it?)
6. Michael Regush, Semiahmoo. Needs to add strength and a bit of size, but his vision is unreal. Unfortunately he’s got no-one to play with in Semi. I’m also not sure his parents will let him go major junior, but his skills put him right up there.
7. Trevor Ayre, POE. Very nice all-round package … good vision, hands, solid two-way F who buries his scoring chances.
8. Kody McDonald, POE. Together with Jost and Ayre POE can ice a top-line as good as anyone else.
9-15. Sorry to be fuzzy at this point folks, but these next few are tough to slot in any meaningful way right now. The names I’ll mention could go in just about any order for me at this point, though the Super Series coming up at BWC in a few days will help shape my thinking going forward. So here we go, in no particular order:
Beck Malenstyn (OHA) … Kyle Uy (BWC) … Tak Anholt (NSWC) … Joel Murga (POE) … and I’ve heard strong comments coming out of tryouts for Kylishbeck (BWC) … all will be interesting to watch.
Unfortunately I won’t be able to see a couple other players that I like compete this weekend … Nathan McCarnan (Vcr) is a rugged talent who could figure in the Top 15, and I was impressed by the size/strength/presence of Spencer Gerth (Langley) this Spring.

Okay, the top 5 or 6 are obviously solid, though many will think I’ve put them in the wrong order. Call me stubborn or stupid for not betting on Jaeger White to go #1 at this point … but time will tell. And I’m always willing to change my mind. LOTS can change over the next 6 months.
Great assessment and I see where you are coming from with a lot of the moves. If you were lucky, you got to see the Vancouver Millionaires play in the spring. That is where I was lucky enough to see players on your list playing for them and against others on your list.

As far as Nathan McCarnan goes, he has been dominating in the games he has played and turned down the offer from BWC. Once again, the spring team analysis of him (playing with Fabbro and White) is a good assessment and anyone who has seen him play this season can see why BWC was after him given their strong defense and goal-tending. McCarnan is simply a sniper who hits really hard and often but continues to need work on his skating technique.

Lots of scouts already out to see him early in the season.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote