HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT - 4/30: Flyers @ Sabres, Game V, (2:00PM, NBC/TSN)

Old
04-30-2006, 06:28 PM
zman

vCash: 500
Collectively, some of you are the biggest whiners i have ever seen. You think every penalty on Philly is a conspiracy and every penalty on Buffalo is so deserved. You're still living in the old NHL world of "makeup calls". Nowadays they will call 10 minors in a row on one team if that's what they see. **Newsflash** the goalie interference penalty that led tp Buffalo's 2nd goal has been called all year, regardless of who pushes who into the goalie. Briere has been flagged about 5 times this year for the same call when he gets pushed in to the opposing goalie.
Your team stunk out the joint in the 1st period. You didn't look like the better team no matter what the penalty calls were.

zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 06:44 PM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
Collectively, some of you are the biggest whiners i have ever seen. You think every penalty on Philly is a conspiracy and every penalty on Buffalo is so deserved. You're still living in the old NHL world of "makeup calls". Nowadays they will call 10 minors in a row on one team if that's what they see. **Newsflash** the goalie interference penalty that led tp Buffalo's 2nd goal has been called all year, regardless of who pushes who into the goalie. Briere has been flagged about 5 times this year for the same call when he gets pushed in to the opposing goalie.
Your team stunk out the joint in the 1st period. You didn't look like the better team no matter what the penalty calls were.
get off your mom and look at the game is its supposed to be played the reffing in bufarse has been decidedly in the home teams favor and has the stench of Buttman all over it. i'm sure you will disagree, so enjoy your ********* nhl because real hockey is about grinding out hard hits, hard shots, and physical battles for the puck. if you don't know what real hockey is, drive north and catch some OHL playoff games.

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Players being crosschecked from behind into the opposing goalie has been "called all year"? What the hell are you talking about? It's not like we're talking about ticky tack hooking or holdings calls, we're talking about a freak play. I don't think a competition committee ever sat down and said "gee, we need to start calling players who get crosschecked into goalies as goalie interference". Get a grip on reality, don't throw around stupid phrases like "it's been called all year" when it's a totally freak play that was handled poorly by the official that was out of position.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 06:50 PM
capn89*

Quote:
It's amazing to see such a talented team as the Flyers get so depressed having to actually exist in the city of Buffalo that they can't even muster up an effort. It must REALLY be bad there.

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 06:53 PM
zman

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
get off your mom and look at the game is its supposed to be played the reffing in bufarse has been decidedly in the home teams favor and has the stench of Buttman all over it. i'm sure you will disagree, so enjoy your ********* nhl because real hockey is about grinding out hard hits, hard shots, and physical battles for the puck. if you don't know what real hockey is, drive north and catch some OHL playoff games.
I don't know....I saw several hard, physical hits today and the result was mostly Philly players on their arses! Stop looking at this whole series as refereeing. I believe the Flyers had 8 PP's to Buffalo's 4 PP's in game four. Big deal, it happens. The team that is outworking the other team usually gets more calls since the weaker team is always chasing.

Hey good luck in game 6, anything can happen and it could all come down to one game Thursday night. If that's the case it could go either way. Just stop with the whining and get mad at your own G.M. for not providing players that fit the new rules.

zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 07:07 PM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Just stop with the whining and get mad at your own G.M. for not providing players that fit the new rules.
whats really maddening is changing a game so the weaker teams are given an advantage by removing the fundamental aspect of the game: physical contact. then add a huge dash of biased reffing and buttman's lips to the a$$es of the weak markets and voila! rollerhockey on ice.

Old
04-30-2006, 07:14 PM
FlyersFanJS

overall i won't complain about the officiating...it wasn't that bad in THIS game...although they really did blow that call on savage which killed any momentum philly had....that being said...had the flyers won this game it would have been a steal, they just didn't play well

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 07:48 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou
You have to believe Bettman is salivating over a sexy Buffalo-Ottawa matchup.

Maybe that explains it.
FLyers Ottawa would be better for ratings. I beleive the Flyers have the biggest market past Buffalo.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 07:51 PM
fullmak

Quote:
whats really maddening is changing a game so the weaker teams are given an advantage by removing the fundamental aspect of the game: physical contact. then add a huge dash of biased reffing and buttman's lips to the a$$es of the weak markets and voila! rollerhockey on ice.

It's pretty simple the home team usually gets the benefit of the calls. Its not rocket science. Thats one of the reasons it's called home ice advantage.

A good team plays tight and picks their opportunities. You have to play a great road game and kill the penalties once you get a lead.

Even if Savage was pushed into Miller, He went to the front of the net. If that happens in Philly against Esche, I would almost spit up anything in my mouth if the refs didn't call it on Buffalo.

Kind of like if you get your stick up on another player it gets called. If you make contact with a goalie regardless of intent you will get called on it. Not to mention all the running of players that philly has done in this series. Flyers already have that reputation in this series.

fullmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 07:54 PM
TheKingPin

That call was complete BS. Savage tried to get out of the way and barley touched Miller. It can be seen by the fact that savgae got on his left skate and tried to avoid Miller. That said it wasnt that that penalty changed the game for us, rather that we are trying to steal a game in Buffalo which was a rel possiblity with the way Esche was playing and being down one. The Savage penalty and then the PP goal was end to the chance to steal one. I think we will come out with effort in Game 6. But i also think that Miller is confident again and he may steal a game for Buffalo. Not going to make any predictions but it dosnt look good.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 07:54 PM
fullmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan
FLyers Ottawa would be better for ratings. I beleive the Flyers have the biggest market past Buffalo.

The nhl i'm sure would love to see a team like buffalo go a long way for 2 reasons:

1. They were bankrupt and came back

2. They have one of the lowest salaries in the NHL, proving the salary cap can make the league more competative.

fullmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
overall i won't complain about the officiating...it wasn't that bad in THIS game...although they really did blow that call on savage which killed any momentum philly had....that being said...had the flyers won this game it would have been a steal, they just didn't play well
Philly had maybe five minutes of play which they controlled tonight. They never had any momentum. Penalties had no impact on tonight's game whatsoever.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 08:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
We can whine and moan about penalites all we want.

Roman Cechmanek taught this team a good lesson that when you score 0 goals you don't win (although, most of those guys are gone).

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 08:39 PM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmak
Not to mention all the running of players that philly has done in this series. Flyers already have that reputation in this series.
its funny how the dinosaur team that skates sooooo slow can catch up enough to run players

nice try though

Old
04-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
its funny how the dinosaur team that skates sooooo slow can catch up enough to run players

nice try though
Forgive him, some Buffalo Angels fans think that all body contact is "running" or "dirty" when another team does it to them. It can be confusing when you watch the Ice Capades every night instead of hockey.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 08:43 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan
Ottawa against anyone would do nothing for ratings. OLN + NBC only have US markets for ratings.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Onry

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Forgive him, some Buffalo Angels fans think that all body contact is "running" or "dirty" when another team does it to them. It can be confusing when you watch the Ice Capades every night instead of hockey.

Onry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Jay_McClement

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Players being crosschecked from behind into the opposing goalie has been "called all year"? What the hell are you talking about? It's not like we're talking about ticky tack hooking or holdings calls, we're talking about a freak play. I don't think a competition committee ever sat down and said "gee, we need to start calling players who get crosschecked into goalies as goalie interference". Get a grip on reality, don't throw around stupid phrases like "it's been called all year" when it's a totally freak play that was handled poorly by the official that was out of position.
Actually, it has been called all year. Ive seen plenty of occasions where the attacking forward is forced into the goaltender by a defender or unintentionally, but in the ref's view could have avoided the contact. I'm not saying it's right, but it has occured.

Jay_McClement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmak
The nhl i'm sure would love to see a team like buffalo go a long way for 2 reasons:

1. They were bankrupt and came back

2. They have one of the lowest salaries in the NHL, proving the salary cap can make the league more competative.
1) the NHL doesn't care who wins.

2) the NHL doesn't care about the salary cap concept anymore... they have it. they want the best possible TV-ratings so that they can sign a lucrative TV contract... they won't voice this publicly, but this is what the business folk desire in their offices... so, if they were to be "rooting" for someone in this series -- which they're not -- they would be rooting for the Flyers.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
pot, kettle. kettle, pot.

newsflash: if a player is pushed into the goalie this is not goalie interference...

here you go:

Quote:
(NOTE 2) If an attacking player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by a defending player so as to cause him to come into contact with the goalkeeper, such contact will not be deemed to be contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact.
http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule78.html

now, i'm not shocked that play was called... i think it's 50/50... however, he WAS pushed from behind. but it's okay, i understand that you don't know the rules of hockey and your ignorance of the play is why you come off the way you do in this post...

given that Sabre fans are whining CONSTANTLY about Gauthier, and dedicated a thread to arguing that Forsberg should have been suspended... i'll just let that speak for itself. by all rights this series should probably be over at this point, but it isn't... the Sabres have been the better team and deserve their lead in the series. so no sour grapes here (in fact, i picked you guys to win in 6)...

however... don't come in ripping people without knowing what you're talking about in the future. just a suggestion.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 10:58 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
pot, kettle. kettle, pot.

newsflash: if a player is pushed into the goalie this is not goalie interference...

here you go:

http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule78.html

now, i'm not shocked that play was called... i think it's 50/50... however, he WAS pushed from behind. but it's okay, i understand that you don't know the rules of hockey and your ignorance of the play is why you come off the way you do in this post...

given that Sabre fans are whining CONSTANTLY about Gauthier, and dedicated a thread to arguing that Forsberg should have been suspended... i'll just let that speak for itself. by all rights this series should probably be over at this point, but it isn't... the Sabres have been the better team and deserve their lead in the series. so no sour grapes here (in fact, i picked you guys to win in 6)...

however... don't come in ripping people without knowing what you're talking about in the future. just a suggestion.
Good call Jester , Talk about irony

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2006, 11:47 PM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Assuming that the Flyers advance, what kind of match ups are we looking at so far?

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 12:25 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD SabreFan
coconut of irony. poking fun at someone calling something too early, when you are doing the exact same thing. this series isnt over

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 07:07 AM
stanley

The call on Savage was horrible because of who made it. It wasn't made by Van Massenhoven, who had a clear view of the play from the goal line, but rather by Peel, who was on the Buffalo side of the red line. He was 100 feet from the play and at a poor angle, and again, his fellow referee was in a good position to see it. The only conclusion I can deduce is that he judged it a penalty based on the outcome (Savage and Miller colliding) without consideration for the circumstances. That's not how referees should do their jobs.

Tim Peel blew that call. He should have deferred to the referee with the closer view. Whether it determined the outcome is another debate.

stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 07:29 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Philly had maybe five minutes of play which they controlled tonight. They never had any momentum. Penalties had no impact on tonight's game whatsoever.
Disagreed.

The Flyers played very well in the second period and would have carried that momentum into the third were it not for, well, you know. The turning point in the game was the Savage call coupled with the Flyers' inability to kill it.

Last edited by JXC: 05-01-2006 at 07:39 AM.
JXC is offline   Reply With Quote