HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Official 2013 NHL Mock Draft

Old
08-28-2012, 11:51 AM
hockey365

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiller View Post
Watch for Kujawinski from Kingston to be top 10. Domi is also underrated.
After seeing Domi at the U-18 camp, I would say, he'll drop a little. First and foremost, there are others who are as skilled (if not more) and bigger than him. The kid is a work horse, don't get me wrong, he'll go to battle for his team and like his father isn't scared of anyone, no matter the size. And he has skills, no denying that. BUT, like it or not, at 5"9 going against emerging skilled and fast skating D's such as Jones, Nurse or Morrissey not much of a threat.

At the camp in the games, he had difficulty imposing himself against the Ds. They reported to me that towards the end of the tournament, he had improved. But that was against Czechs and Finland, who weren't that gifted on D.

If anything Domi is overrated, because of his family name! Not top 10, but not 2nd rounder either.

hockey365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:58 AM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
One think I hate is how people compare across years, too. So player x scored 150 in the Q in 1996 while player y scored 80 in the W in 2011 while the same age; who's to say the 1996 player is light years better, or even better at all, than the 2011 one?

Will MacKinnon be as good as Crosby? Will Reinhart? Who cares? Will either be really good NHLers in their own way? I'm sure they will, just like Segin, Hall, Tavares, Ovechkin, Malkin....

As a Leaf fan do I want MacKinnon? Sure! Reinhart? Of course! Barkov? Why not? Heck, give Toronto Klimchuk, Kujawinski, Lazar, I'd love it! Will the Leafs get any of these guys, or equals? Don't hold your breath. Team management isn't too far separated (in terms of planning/foresight) than the ones who said no to Joe Sakic (even though the scouts wanted Sakic badly). Maybe they'll get lucky, but I doubt it. Oh, the pain of unfulfilled hopes.
And Toronto let Dudley go........

They say, he and Timmins were at the Hlinka tournament. Things that make you go hmmmmm!

Old
08-28-2012, 12:02 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvechkinTooth View Post
Speaking of Hlinka Memorial, I thought that McKinnon is not as good as he was told in a media. Of the other players available in 2013, I really like the play of Barkov. He is really cool. Big size, good shot, high tecnical skills. He is really contender to be 1st pick.
From friends of mine who are scouts, it's not because Mackinnon is not as good, it's because the others behind him are closing the gap.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:08 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Not looking forward to a good season in TO?
The problem with your scenario is that 5 other teams, probably mostly from the east, will get the rest of those players.
I sincerely believe, if any team picks within the top 10 in the 2013 draft, they will have a Franchise player. (of course, barring major injuries and these players continue to progress at the same level they've showned in the past!)

I cannot speak for the Euro players, since I've had very limited viewing, but the Canadian players, they'll have a corner stone they'll be able to build around.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Monahan will be Top 3 at the end of the year, guaranteed.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 12:21 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Wish I could answer about Gregoire (and others) but I didn't get to see any of it, too much to do, darn it.

I think we'll see a few changes in the rankings about QMJHL guys. I think MacKinnon will stay high, Erme, Drouin, but I feel Duclaire may slip, Carrier may rise, lots of changes. Not because of changing opinions but because this year a few guys will be playing major minutes, not 3rd line, and we'll get to see if they're 1st liners.

Trouble is some guys get to play with good players and thus stats rise, others have to do it alone so stats fall, and others have coaches who do a bad job (so play the guy 3rd line, coach a system the team can't succeed at. How can we tell, those who are unbiased but have no games to see?

Can you name your top 5 players who can score without help, make teammates better? You know, guys who will produce playing with MacKinnon and Drouin or with Buttleship and Knocknees?
You have some very valid points, that's why I put more emphasis on the NHL's Central Scouting Report and the ISS, more than the Mackenzy, Craig Button's list or others who gets their info second hand and are not viewing the players on a daily basis. But that's just an opinion! Please no hate responses.

Of course SC and ISS DO MAKE MISTAKES! Like every GM in the league has a closet full of skeleton of players they've drafted that never saw a game in the NHL and we've made major mistakes as well! It's not an exact science..... But at least, SC & ISS rank players taking in consideration some of the stuff you've listed.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:22 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Monahan will be Top 3 at the end of the year, guaranteed.
He's definetely a contender for top 3..... But no guarantees, others are emerging..... What I like about this draft year, is the fact these kids are aware of their peers and have raised the bar for themselves and are going for it. No longer is Mackinnon a "sure thing" for top stop, I would keep it open until January and may the best player rise to the occasion!

- At the 2012 NHL draft, Jones who was interviewed right besides Mackinnon stated he's going for top stop!
- Monahan & Shinkaruk are as well going for it, they know they are close
- Drouin wants it as well, he spent weeks away from his family training for this year
- According to major newspapers in Qc, Duclair gained 23 lbs and has stated this is the biggest year of his life
- Don't forget Domi, he's a fearce competitor
- Lazar and Reinhart did everything in their power at the Hlinka tourney to climb up the chart
- And you can list all the others, who you know will force the issue.....

This seems to be shaping as a great competitive year! If there is an NHL lockout, I'm not worried, there will be great Junior hockey on TV and on this board!

Last edited by hockey365: 08-28-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old
08-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey365 View Post
He's definetely a contender for top 3..... But no guarantees, others are emerging..... What I like about this draft year, is the fact these kids are aware of their peers and have raised the bar for themselves and are going for it. No longer is Mackinnon a "sure thing" for top stop, I would keep it open until January and may the best player rise to the occasion!

- At the 2012 NHL draft, Jones who was interviewed right besides Mackinnon stated he's going for top stop!
- Drouin wants it as well, he spent weeks away from his family training for this year
- According to major newspapers in Qc, Duclair gained 23 lbs and has stated this is the biggest year of his life
- Lazar and Reinhart did everything in their power at the Hlinka tourney to climb up the chart

This seems to be shaping as a great competitive year! If there is an NHL lockout, I'm not worried, there will be great Junior hockey on TV and on this board!
Haha from someone who watched him since his Minor Midget year, I'm saying he's gonna go Top 3.

It's my personal guarantee.

Old
08-28-2012, 03:20 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:

No offense bud but when you list Reinhart as a contender for #1 in 2013 you lose a lot of your credibility.

I'd say Mac and Jones are a cut above the rest with Barkov as the wild card. Guys like Drouin, Duclaire and Domi will have a tough time cracking the top 5 let alone #1.

Last edited by LeafDangler: 08-28-2012 at 03:25 PM.
LeafDangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:31 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Haha from someone who watched him since his Minor Midget year, I'm saying he's gonna go Top 3.

It's my personal guarantee.
Ok, I'll take your challenge!

Nice to see folks have favorites and want their player to succeed!

Old
08-28-2012, 03:40 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
No offense bud but when you list Reinhart as a contender for #1 in 2013 you lose a lot of your credibility.

I'd say Mac and Jones are a cut above the rest with Barkov as the wild card. Guys like Drouin, Duclaire and Domi will have a tough time cracking the top 5 let alone #1.
I stated that these players all believe they can reach the top step, and I've given you some of their quotes, not my words!

I also stated that Lazar and Reinhart did everything in their power to climb the latter, I never stated they will be #1.

My point was, that it was nice to see all these players wanting to become #1 from their perspective, not mine. And this my friend, is a great thing for us the fans!

Like my mom always said, reach for the stars, if you land on the moon, you're still closer than those who are on earth! Same ideology, these players are reaching for the top honnor, if they fall a bit short, it's still very good! It will elevate junior hockey!

And I say Mac and Jones are a cut above the rest "today", it might change by June 2013. The others will give these 2 a run for their money.

As one scout stated, the gap that existed between Mackinnon and the others has narrowed by alot.

If all these kids excel to their expected potential it will be exceptional.

Old
08-28-2012, 03:48 PM
jfb392

Quote:
I also stated that Lazar and Reinhart did everything in their power to climb the latter, I never stated they will be #1.
Well, it's literally impossible for Reinhart to even be close to #1 overall in 2013 since his draft year is 2014.

That's what the poster meant.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:59 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, it's literally impossible for Reinhart to even be close to #1 overall in 2013 since his draft year is 2014.

That's what the poster meant.
I always forget to take him off my list!!!! My bad!

Old
08-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Its always funny to see the top players drop for no reason after they have been hyped for a long time and people are getting bored of them/over analyzing their play. Mackinnon was playing the best hockey of his life in the playoffs, and then follows it up by leading the Ivan Hlinka in scoring including a hat trick in the gold medal game and the gap is narrowing? I watched 3 games in the Halifax/Quebec series and if anything it looked Mackinnon had widened the gap between himself and Duclair/Erne. Drouin was playing unbelievable too but I have a hard time seeing him squeeze into the top 5, but I guess anything is possible.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:51 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Its always funny to see the top players drop for no reason after they have been hyped for a long time and people are getting bored of them/over analyzing their play. Mackinnon was playing the best hockey of his life in the playoffs, and then follows it up by leading the Ivan Hlinka in scoring including a hat trick in the gold medal game and the gap is narrowing? I watched 3 games in the Halifax/Quebec series and if anything it looked Mackinnon had widened the gap between himself and Duclair/Erne. Drouin was playing unbelievable too but I have a hard time seeing him squeeze into the top 5, but I guess anything is possible.
I don't recall stating that the gap was narrowing between Mackinnon Drouin and Duclair..... I didn't mentioned any names in that statement.

Although at the U-18 camp, you can see Duclair's new size serving him well. He didn't lose any speed or shiftiness. According to an article in the newspaper, he's gotten faster and is more explosive. If he did what he did last season at 159 lbs, scorring the same amount of goals as Mackinnon, imagine now at 182 lbs!

In the same article, Duclair recognizes that his lack of size didn't help him perform in the play-offs, he says he got fatigued and that his new weight will help sustain productivity during the long season (http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/201...8_section_POS4) Pardon my French!

Some of you guys pounded on this kid, because of his lack of size last year. Now that he eradicated this issue, some are still erasing him, even before the season starts. Although he got very good marks in the U-18 camp and alghough not used often at the tourney, still did well. Wow!!! (not you personally Breakfast of Champs, others on this board)

And according to scouts who were at the Hlinka tourney, they stated that Drouin was excellent as Mackinnon's wingman, he raised his game a noch they've not seen from him before. He also played PK, even with being down 2 men and excelled. The knock on Drouin was his D game, now that he eradicated this from his game, no love for this kid! Look at who assisted on Mackinnon's 2 of his 3 goals in the gold medal game....... The other Moooooose! The weeks of power skating in Toronto helped him a lot. Same here, the puck has not even dropped, some are already crossing him off. (not you personally Breakfast of Champs, others on this board)

Despite these two improving their games, I've never mentioned they were closing the gap with MacKinnon. In my mind it's amongst the top 3-4 usual suspects, not these 2. Especially Jones. Some analyst are giving the notch to Mackinnon but with precausion. The gap is narrowing, you might not agree, but that's reality. He's not as dominant as before, others are catching up.

Please do not forget the example of RNH, first ranking from CS, listed 6th. by the time the draft was coming along, he was ranked 1st, despite being cut from the WJC team.

And yes, this group of athletes will make this upcoming draft very very interesting.

Last edited by hockey365: 08-28-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old
08-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
I don't recall stating that the gap was narrowing between Mackinnon Drouin and Duclair..... I didn't mentioned any names in that statement.

Although at the U-18 camp, you can see Duclair's new size serving him well. He didn't lose any speed or shiftiness. According to an article in the newspaper, he's gotten faster and is more explosive. If he did what he did last season at 159 lbs, scorring the same amount of goals as Mackinnon, imagine now at 182 lbs!

In the same article, Duclair recognizes that his lack of size didn't help him perform in the play-offs, he says he got fatigued and that his new weight will help sustain productivity during the long season (http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/201...8_section_POS4) Pardon my French!

Some of you guys pounded on this kid, because of his lack of size last year. Now that he eradicated this issue, some are still erasing him, even before the season starts. Although he got very good marks in the U-18 camp and alghough not used often at the tourney, still did well. Wow!!! (not you personally Breakfast of Champs, others on this board)

And according to scouts who were at the Hlinka tourney, they stated that Drouin was excellent as Mackinnon's wingman, he raised his game a noch they've not seen from him before. He also played PK, even with being down 2 men and excelled. The knock on Drouin was his D game, now that he eradicated this from his game, no love for this kid! Look at who assisted on Mackinnon's 2 of his 3 goals in the gold medal game....... The other Moooooose! The weeks of power skating in Toronto helped him a lot. Same here, the puck has not even dropped, some are already crossing him off. (not you personally Breakfast of Champs, others on this board)

Despite these two improving their games, I've never mentioned they were closing the gap with MacKinnon. In my mind it's amongst the top 3-4 usual suspects, not these 2. Especially Jones. Some analyst are giving the notch to Mackinnon but with precausion. The gap is narrowing, you might not agree, but that's reality. He's not as dominant as before, others are catching up.

Please do not forget the example of RNH, first ranking from CS, listed 6th. by the time the draft was coming along, he was ranked 1st, despite being cut from the WJC team.

And yes, this group of athletes will make this upcoming draft very very interesting.

I agree with most all things you say, however I will say that Jones has been considered in Mackinnon's class as the top 2 prospects for a very long time now. I see others who can take a stab at 1st but right now I don't think they have done anything to prove that the gap is closing.

Mackinnon and Drouin were beasts in the playoffs this past year and if they can pick up where they left off, Mackinnon will be the 1st player taken in this draft.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Scratchy

I'm going to re-ask this question, anyway:

Can you name your top 5 players who can score without help, make teammates better? You know, guys who will produce playing with MacKinnon and Drouin or with Buttleship and Knocknees?

Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 09:23 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
I agree with most all things you say, however I will say that Jones has been considered in Mackinnon's class as the top 2 prospects for a very long time now. I see others who can take a stab at 1st but right now I don't think they have done anything to prove that the gap is closing.

Mackinnon and Drouin were beasts in the playoffs this past year and if they can pick up where they left off, Mackinnon will be the 1st player taken in this draft.
Agree, Mackinnon is still the reigning #1.......

Old
08-28-2012, 09:33 PM
hockey365

Quote:
I'm going to re-ask this question, anyway:

My list of top 5 forwards representing scorring threats. I cannot speak for the Euros, had limited viewing, hence, I'm abstaining to list the Euros. And since Jones is a D, it wouldn't be fare to put the scoring burden on his shoulders.

Therefore my list:
Mackinnon 31goals
Monahan 33 goals
Shinkaruk 49 goals
Duclair 31 goals
Lazar 20 goals

Drouin is my 6th man.

Old
08-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Fozz

Deleted post

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Ok, I'll take your challenge!

Nice to see folks have favorites and want their player to succeed!

I think it's unhealthy for me to have a man-crush this big.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Defensive Forward

Monahan has really grown on me. He impressed me more at the Canada-Russia Challenge than Mackinnon did at the Ivan Hlinka gold medal game. I'm not saying Monahan is better than Mackinnon, just that in my limited viewing, there is no question that Monahan is a potential top three prospect.

Defensive Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 03:44 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Flash View Post
Monahan has really grown on me. He impressed me more at the Canada-Russia Challenge than Mackinnon did at the Ivan Hlinka gold medal game. I'm not saying Monahan is better than Mackinnon, just that in my limited viewing, there is no question that Monahan is a potential top three prospect.
Definitely potential for top three, very cerebral player. His size is a nice advantage over Shinkaruk.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Scratchy

Thanks hockey365.

I think Kujawinski, Carrier, and Mantha all have good 'rise' potential, as does Drouin. But don't forget Klimchuk and Forsberg, if Klimchuk plays like he can he could show to be a top 15, and if Forsberg has any talented teammates this year he could rise farther. Who else, well I'm too tired to think about it!

Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Defensive Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Definitely potential for top three, very cerebral player. His size is a nice advantage over Shinkaruk.
Overall, I think the total package is better than Shinkaruk, but that's just me.

Defensive Forward is offline   Reply With Quote