HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Umberger puts thoughts into action (NHL.com article)

Old
05-01-2006, 12:56 PM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Umberger puts thoughts into action (NHL.com article)

Quote:
By Shawn P. Roarke
NHL.com Senior Writer | May 1, 2006

R.J. Umberger has played enough hockey in his young lifetime to understand that talk is cheap. In the end, he knows, words ring hollow and only on-ice actions matter.

For that reason, Umberger couldn't have been happier with his goal in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals, an eventual 5-4 victory against the Buffalo Sabres that temporarily leveled the best-of-seven series at two games apiece. Buffalo, however, won Sunday's Game 6, 3-0, and now sits just one win away from advancing at Philadelphia's expense.

At the time of the goal, Umberger was under the gun. Not only had he absorbed a highlight-reel hit from Buffalo defenseman Brian Campbell in Game 1, but his line had yet to contribute in the series after providing Philadelphia with its finishing kick to the regular season. So, while he said all the right things about being healthy enough to contribute and make an impact on this series, he also knew his on-ice actions would tell the final tale.

NHL.com

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 01:18 PM
FlyersFanJS

he sounds like he's going to be a much more valuable player to the flyers than anyone may have thought...he def has the right attitude...i'm liking this kid more and more every game

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 02:48 PM
MojoJojo

Right now, I rank Umberger higher than both Carter and Richards. In a year or two that will likely change though.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
I love Burger's game this year, he's contributed regularly and always puts in a great effort. He's definitely further along in his learning curve than Carter & Richards, but I believe #'s 17 and 18 will turn out to be a shade better overall. RJ is going to be a serious player though and being ranked with the likes of Carter, Richards, Pitkanen and Niittymaki is a big compliment to a guy that seemed like a gamble of a UFA signing at the time. Kudos to Clarkie on getting this guy in the fold.

Blindside9711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Boyd_Gordon

I was very pleased when they were able to sign Umberger. I have been one of his biggest fans. He has an above average skills in just about everything- Pretty good speed, good passer, pretty good shot, nice set of hands, vision, etc. and on top of that he's big enough to play this game and not really get outmuscled when cycling. He's also got a great attitude. I hope he will be a valuable Flyer for many years to come.

Boyd_Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 04:45 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd_Gordon
I was very pleased when they were able to sign Umberger. I have been one of his biggest fans. He has an above average skills in just about everything- Pretty good speed, good passer, pretty good shot, nice set of hands, vision, etc. and on top of that he's big enough to play this game and not really get outmuscled when cycling. He's also got a great attitude. I hope he will be a valuable Flyer for many years to come.
thats why i love him so much. hes pretty good in every department.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 07:08 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Don't mean to sound off topic, but am I the only one that noticed that this article says "Sunday's Game 6", while it was game 5 that was on Sunday.

Sorry, like I said, off topic, but I can't stand it when "professional" online writers screw up like that.

And like I've been joking with my friends, I'm pretty sure right when he was shooting RJ was thinking "Check this, b*tch."

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote