HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Malkin close to KHL deal (in case of lockout)

Old
08-28-2012, 05:28 PM
bruinsfan46

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post
I think players in the Chinese league didn't have the opt out clauses?
Correct, JR Smith was stuck playing in China the whole season even after the lockout ended.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Honour Over Glory

Just a week to week contract he's looking for, nothing wrong with that. Geno loves to play and compete, can't really see him sitting around and waiting like others might want to.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
In what respect?

Are you denying that Magnitogorsk took away Malkin's passport to prevent him from leaving, that his only opportunity to get it back was when the team was training in Finland, and that his agent had to hide him from the Metallurg brass until they could procure a US work Visa from the embassy and fly to Pittsburgh?

Yes. North American media turned it into a James Bond cold war media sensationalist story.

Here is Malkin in "evil" Magnitogorsk after winning the SC.

He's says " it doesn't mater where I play, Russia or another country, we always represent and honor Metallurg Magnitogorsk, the team and these colors that i defended. Any awards I or the other players from here win, will always be brought back right here".

Yep, those sound like the words of a guy who's really be threatened.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Yes. North American media turned it into a James Bond cold war media sensationalist story.

Here is Malkin in "evil" Magnitogorsk after winning the SC.

Yep, those sound like the words of a guy who's really be threatened.
You inferred things from my post that I never implied.

Please, show me where I said Magnitogorsk was evil, that Malkin bore a grudge, or feels threatened. I simply listed the verifiable facts of Malkin's departure.

The GM wanted to keep him and obviously took matters too far, which required Malkin to take extreme action so he could get out. That isn't sensationalism, that's the truth.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Zine

Quote:
You inferred things from my post that I never implied.

Please, show me where I said Magnitogorsk was evil, that Malkin bore a grudge, or feels threatened. I simply listed the verifiable facts of Malkin's departure.

The GM wanted to keep him and obviously took matters too far, which required Malkin to take extreme action so he could get out. That isn't sensationalism, that's the truth.
Quote:
In what respect?

Are you denying that Magnitogorsk took away Malkin's passport to prevent him from leaving, that his only opportunity to get it back was when the team was training in Finland, and that his agent had to hide him from the Metallurg brass until they could procure a US work Visa from the embassy and fly to Pittsburgh?

Magnitogorsk never "took away Malkin's passport".

Malkin's former agent (Isakov) admitted to having the passport basically the whole time. Metallurg repeatedly asked for it because they needed it to secure Malkin a Finland Visa for training camp. It wasn't until Malkin fired Isakov and hired his current agent Ushakov that Isakov relinquished it.
But instead of giving it to Ushakov he gave it to a Metallurg representative; but the representative took it straight to the Finland consulate to get him his Visa. So of course Metallurg couldn't give Malkin his passport when requested, it was at the Finland embassy (which is in Moscow) with like a week to go before training camp.

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-print/233464

I'm not saying GM Velichkin didn't go overboard in ways, but, like I said, so much of the 'Malkin saga' is not fact. Anyhow, we're getting waaay off topic here.

Last edited by Zine: 08-29-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old
08-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Cool Hand Goof*

#1 reason not to have russian players

lock out happens

boom , they get a taste of russia , and when they come back it wont take much for them to go back permanently

Cool Hand Goof* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Magnitogorsk never "took away Malkin's passport".

Malkin's former agent (Isakov) admitted to having the passport basically the whole time. Metallurg repeatedly asked for it because they needed it to secure Malkin a Finland Visa for training camp. It wasn't until Malkin fired Isakov and hired his current agent Ushakov that Isakov relinquished it.
But instead of giving it to Ushakov he gave it to a Metallurg representative; but the representative took it straight to the Finland consulate to get him his Visa. So of course Metallurg couldn't give Malkin his passport when requested, it was at the Finland embassy (which is in Moscow) with like a week to go before training camp.

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-print/233464

I'm not saying GM Velichkin didn't go overboard in ways, but, like I said, so much of the 'Malkin saga' is not fact. Anyhow, we're getting waaay off topic here.
You providing a link for me in Russian is like me providing a link for you in Homeric Greek.

But regardless of who actually had the passport, the idea that Metallurg had Malkin's passport was not a media concoction:

Quote:
''Magnitogorsk controlled Evgeni's passport and this was his first opportunity he could obtain his passport and leave the team" - JP Barry, Malkin's agent
http://www.tsn.ca/story/print/?id=174525

So yeah, not North American media sensationalism. It was a quote from his agent.

Old
08-29-2012, 09:36 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
The lockout could make millions for the KHL!
The KHL will have to spend MILLIONS to get said stars.

B A T M A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:23 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Malkin confirmed he will play for Magnitogorsk

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:27 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Okay, Hakan Loob.

Now for what I know is completely unheard of, no reigning scoring champ and MVP has ever left the NHL to return home.

But again, I'll take bets that suggest otherwise for Malkin, since so many people think it's a real possibility. By all means, put your money where your mouth is. For some reason, I doubt anyone will.
Not on Malkin's level, but Bobby Hull left the NHL after 71-72 season and being 2nd in goals and 7th in points.

At the time, he was still one of the more dominant players in the league.

Again, not on Malkin's level, but it has happened.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Malkin has played ZERO games in KHL
Played in the RSL though.

Would much rather prefer to see him sign a contract to play in the AHL with Crosby for Wilkes-Barre but I think that's probably not possible.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:36 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard VI View Post
The KHL will have to spend MILLIONS to get said stars.
The KHL HAS millions to get said stars

A prolonged lockout could hurt the NHL.

Will it kill the NHL? no, most if not all NA players will come back. The more Russian and European players that stay in those leagues leaves the door open for more NA players to get roster spots.

Personally, while the situation may look bleak, I do not believe there will be a lockout.

multiple proposals have been given, both parties have given concessions, the talks however brief have moved in the right direction of coming to an agreement.

There is no gap wide enough that cannot be bridged as long as both sides continue to have dialogue and give concessions to a fair and equitable deal and that's what it looks like is happening.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not on Malkin's level, but Bobby Hull left the NHL after 71-72 season and being 2nd in goals and 7th in points.

At the time, he was still one of the more dominant players in the league.

Again, not on Malkin's level, but it has happened.
If Hull wasn't the reigning MVP or scoring champ, then it didn't happen.

Old
08-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Zine

Quote:
You providing a link for me in Russian is like me providing a link for you in Homeric Greek.

But regardless of who actually had the passport, the idea that Metallurg had Malkin's passport was not a media concoction:

http://www.tsn.ca/story/print/?id=174525

So yeah, not North American media sensationalism. It was a quote from his agent.

C'mon....you're moving goalposts.

That Metallurg had (or according to his NA agent - controlled) his passport is not the same as them 'taking it away'. As documented, the team had his passport only temporarily (and only at the last minute) to quickly secure a Visa before camp started in Finland. Also documented, his ex-agent was the individual who had 'control' of is passport.
If Malkin had problems obtaining it up 'till then, it's not the wrong doing of Metallurg (as has been insinuated).

I'm not saying some shady things didn't happen...but frequently what passes as fact in this situation is blatantly false, intentionally misleading and/or sensationalism.

Here, 2 more sources written before Malkin "disappeared"..meaning there can be no potential revisionist history.
http://www.sport-express.ru/newspaper/2006-08-08/12_2/
http://www.pressmon.com/cgi-bin/pres...cgi?id=1646540

Last edited by Zine: 08-30-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old
08-30-2012, 09:00 PM
steap

Send a message via ICQ to steap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
He will sign weekly contracts so that when the NHL is back he can just pack up and leave at the end of the week.
You can't sign weekly contract in KHL as I know. Only try-out contract.

steap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:00 AM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I would think the Pens (and every other team for that matter) would give up the right to be angered if their stars get injured in other leagues by locking the players out.

The players have every right to find other work in the event of a lockout.
By the same token, NHL teams would have the right to refuse to pay the player for the months he's recuperating from injury.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote