HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012 MLB Thread Part III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-29-2012, 06:18 AM
  #26
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist
 
MadDog172430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
CC Sabathia is Chris Christie lite. Everyone is comparable.

MadDog172430 is offline  
Old
08-29-2012, 06:51 AM
  #27
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 32,894
vCash: 500
Awards:
This thread is just an astoundingly bad disaster area. Cut it out.

Classic Devil is offline  
Old
08-29-2012, 07:20 AM
  #28
cj225
Work in Progress...
 
cj225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,980
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
The Mets won last night...and it was nice to see finally.

cj225 is offline  
Old
08-29-2012, 07:51 AM
  #29
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist
 
MadDog172430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
Anyway, nice to see Hughes step it up in a big way last night. He's been inconsistent, but when he's on, he's on. I'm glad the team didn't give up on him the way so many fans wanted to. He's still young and is trying to find his way, but I like what I see.

MadDog172430 is offline  
Old
08-29-2012, 08:46 AM
  #30
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now
 
TonyTheGr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Morris County, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
The Mets won last night...and it was nice to see finally.
Also nice to have the Phillies back where they belong..BENEATH us!

Hey..that's about all I can hang my hat on these days!

TonyTheGr8 is offline  
Old
08-29-2012, 11:22 AM
  #31
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog172430 View Post
Anyway, nice to see Hughes step it up in a big way last night. He's been inconsistent, but when he's on, he's on. I'm glad the team didn't give up on him the way so many fans wanted to. He's still young and is trying to find his way, but I like what I see.
I think his oddball injuries he had earlier in his career affected his growth. If he can stay healthy, he can be a real good pitcher IMO.

MJB Devils23* is offline  
Old
08-29-2012, 09:26 PM
  #32
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Hughes takes two steps forward, and then when you think he's finally getting it, he takes a step back. It's a recurring theme with him. But I think he'll straighten out eventually.

Saugus is offline  
Old
08-29-2012, 09:54 PM
  #33
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Hughes takes two steps forward, and then when you think he's finally getting it, he takes a step back. It's a recurring theme with him. But I think he'll straighten out eventually.
It's frustrating. He has a lot of talent. I love his mindset too.

MJB Devils23* is offline  
Old
08-29-2012, 10:41 PM
  #34
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw
 
JerseyGuy276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A Flood Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 8,937
vCash: 500
Whats it like to care about baseball in september?

JerseyGuy276 is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 10:17 AM
  #35
cj225
Work in Progress...
 
cj225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,980
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
Interesting article about A-Rod: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...sible-to-like/

cj225 is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 10:23 AM
  #36
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
As a person he's actually a nice guy. Not saying you shouldn't hate home though.

MJB Devils23* is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 10:34 AM
  #37
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
There has never been a player on a team I root for that I've disliked significantly enough until A-Rod came along

You wouldn't believe some of the stories that don't go public about this guy and how much of a genuine ****** bag he is - having to have his toothbrush placed on a certain part of the sink in the clubhouse each day and the tip having to be off the sink a bit so he can grab it easily WITH the toothpaste on the brush, his clothes have to be folded in front of his locker in a specific order socks included, lifting in the weight room and yelling out for everybody to look how much he just benched or dead lifted and there are sadly more

You think Langenbrunner was a problem for a year or two in the end? A-Rod's been far worse than a Langenbrunner could ever amount to and for his entire Yankees career - when they brought him (and other me-first guys in like Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, Lofton, Sheffield, Pavano) they couldn't do a thing and they had all of those first round exits because the locker room was divided - when they went through that transition from the Bernie Williams and O'Neills and Brosiuses and Tinos and etc who were all always going out as a team after games and all BSing in the clubhouse after and before tgames together to bringing in the new wave of big name, high priced guys, that divide was created and there were clique's present

Wingman77 is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 10:35 AM
  #38
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 35,811
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
he helped us win a title

for that he gets a pass for life

but you cant deny he is a ******

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now  
Old
08-30-2012, 10:38 AM
  #39
cj225
Work in Progress...
 
cj225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,980
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
As a person he's actually a nice guy. Not saying you shouldn't hate home though.
Have you met him?

cj225 is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 11:12 AM
  #40
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Whats it like to care about baseball in september?
The last time I did I was throwing pillows and kicking hampers around the house after September collapses.

NJDevs26 is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 11:35 AM
  #41
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Have you met him?
Briefly.

MJB Devils23* is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 11:43 AM
  #42
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
There has never been a player on a team I root for that I've disliked significantly enough until A-Rod came along

You wouldn't believe some of the stories that don't go public about this guy and how much of a genuine ****** bag he is - having to have his toothbrush placed on a certain part of the sink in the clubhouse each day and the tip having to be off the sink a bit so he can grab it easily WITH the toothpaste on the brush, his clothes have to be folded in front of his locker in a specific order socks included, lifting in the weight room and yelling out for everybody to look how much he just benched or dead lifted and there are sadly more

You think Langenbrunner was a problem for a year or two in the end? A-Rod's been far worse than a Langenbrunner could ever amount to and for his entire Yankees career - when they brought him (and other me-first guys in like Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, Lofton, Sheffield, Pavano) they couldn't do a thing and they had all of those first round exits because the locker room was divided - when they went through that transition from the Bernie Williams and O'Neills and Brosiuses and Tinos and etc who were all always going out as a team after games and all BSing in the clubhouse after and before tgames together to bringing in the new wave of big name, high priced guys, that divide was created and there were clique's present
Not saying you're wrong, but I've heard similar stories about Jeter. And he's regarded as a saint.

A lot of jerks are regarded as heroes in Yankee land.

Joe DiMaggio
Mickey Mantle
Thurman Munson
Reggie Jackson
Goose Gossage
Jorge Posada

Also, Paul O'Neill isn't liked by everybody, but IMO he is one guy who doesn't deserve it.

MJB Devils23* is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 11:53 AM
  #43
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils
 
StvBroDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
Not saying you're wrong, but I've heard similar stories about Jeter. And he's regarded as a saint.

A lot of jerks are regarded as heroes in Yankee land.

Joe DiMaggio
Mickey Mantle
Thurman Munson
Reggie Jackson
Goose Gossage
Jorge Posada

Also, Paul O'Neill isn't liked by everybody, but IMO he is one guy who doesn't deserve it.
He is a Saint

StvBroDan is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 12:03 PM
  #44
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
Not saying you're wrong, but I've heard similar stories about Jeter. And he's regarded as a saint.

A lot of jerks are regarded as heroes in Yankee land.

Joe DiMaggio
Mickey Mantle
Thurman Munson
Reggie Jackson
Goose Gossage
Jorge Posada

Also, Paul O'Neill isn't liked by everybody, but IMO he is one guy who doesn't deserve it.
like what stories? How much is Skip Bayless paying you?

Please you're trying way too hard with this one

Wingman77 is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 12:32 PM
  #45
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StvBroDan View Post
He is a Saint
I agree. But he's also not Cal Ripken Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
like what stories? How much is Skip Bayless paying you?

Please you're trying way too hard with this one
I'm very good at getting into arguments with people I AGREE with.

MJB Devils23* is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 01:36 PM
  #46
cj225
Work in Progress...
 
cj225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,980
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
I don't take anything he says seriously and usually what he does say, I reverse it and think the exact opposite of what he says.

cj225 is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 01:38 PM
  #47
Cowbell232
Moderator
 
Cowbell232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
I'm very good at getting into arguments with people I AGREE with.
Well, this whole getting into arguments with EVERYONE thing needs to stop.

Okay? Okay. Glad we had this chat.

__________________
"Why I'll be a Devil forever [...] two words. Trust and respect." - Mr. Pat Burns
"I learned not to question Cowbell's willingness to ban." - Brian Boyle
Cowbell232 is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 02:43 PM
  #48
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Munson was a very good player who's tragic death keeps him in the hearts of baseball fans, specifically Yankee fans.

And Posada is a Yankee hero? In what world?

apice3* is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 02:56 PM
  #49
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Munson was a very good player who's tragic death keeps him in the hearts of baseball fans, specifically Yankee fans.

And Posada is a Yankee hero? In what world?
Posada is very, very well respected by Yankee fans - perhaps the hero thing is a bit stretched but it is for sure debatable

I didn't agree with everything Jorge did, but the guy was straight up with everybody and came to work hard the same way every game and of course the fact that he was solid at what he did made it even better

If not for Jeter, Jorge would have been captain

Wingman77 is offline  
Old
08-30-2012, 06:30 PM
  #50
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Nobody likes ARod, but he was a good player for a long time, and he did win a championship with the Yankees, playing a big part in the win. I can't slag him too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
Not saying you're wrong, but I've heard similar stories about Jeter. And he's regarded as a saint.

A lot of jerks are regarded as heroes in Yankee land.

Joe DiMaggio
Mickey Mantle
Thurman Munson
Reggie Jackson
Goose Gossage
Jorge Posada

Also, Paul O'Neill isn't liked by everybody, but IMO he is one guy who doesn't deserve it.
Jeter deserves the veneration he gets. Steady leader, reasonably discreet with his private life, and an excellent player who gets along with his teammates and doesn't let his ego get in the way. I don't see what there is to rip him for.

Reggie Jackson is an ass****, and admittedly so, but I'm not sure what the rest of those guys did to make you call them jerks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
And Posada is a Yankee hero? In what world?
I'd say he is. Probably won't get into the Hall of Fame, but he was a damn good catcher for many years. He knew how to handle a pitching staff, he knew how to call a game, he won several championships, and he was a decent switch hitter too. He deserves plenty of praise from Yankee fans.

Saugus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.