HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXX

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2012, 08:17 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
Roy likely won't come to a team without having heavy personnel input as well as being the coach.
Wasn't he interested in just the head coaching job in Montreal?

Old
08-28-2012, 08:30 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Wasn't he interested in just the head coaching job in Montreal?
yeah but wasn't he still going to be seriously in the loop on personnel matters?
not saying he has to be the GM, just some legit power in personnel might interest him more than just being a coach.

plus Montreal would have been his redemption project to erase his exit there.

Old
08-28-2012, 09:08 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
yeah but wasn't he still going to be seriously in the loop on personnel matters?
not saying he has to be the GM, just some legit power in personnel might interest him more than just being a coach.

plus Montreal would have been his redemption project to erase his exit there.
I doubt a new GM would have surrendered any power to Roy in personnel management.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:06 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
I doubt a new GM would have surrendered any power to Roy in personnel management.
to be fair, no GM is going to surrender power period. it would just seem to me that for Roy to leave his pretty cushy job as coach and owner that he would have to have some say in personnel.

it's entirely possible he just might want to be nothing more than the coach and be happy with that though.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Raise your hand if the rumors of the NHL wanting a 58mil Salary Cap had you smirking.

Old
08-29-2012, 01:20 AM
DanishAvsfan

vCash: 250
Looks like we invited another small center to training camp. http://sports.silobreaker.com/lipon-...13591892426762

Old
08-29-2012, 08:58 AM
CB Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Raise your hand if the rumors of the NHL wanting a 58mil Salary Cap had you smirking.
Haha, I would love to see that. Colorado got ****ed by the cap before, it would be nice to be the other side this time. Avs might be able to pick up a good defenceman for cheap if something similar happens.

Old
08-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishAvsfan View Post
Looks like we invited another small center to training camp. http://sports.silobreaker.com/lipon-...13591892426762
We already know that Lipon is coming.
The other two mentioned are going to Montreal.

Old
08-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Haha, I would love to see that. Colorado got ****ed by the cap before, it would be nice to be the other side this time. Avs might be able to pick up a good defenceman for cheap if something similar happens.
If the cap is 58mil the Avs are at the cap-limit now (after ROR signs), so they would have to ship something expensive (cough, cough Jones, cough cough Staz, cough cough Hejda) to be able to get it, and that would make no sense for the other team.

Having the flu apparently today.

Double post fail

Old
08-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

If the cap gets dropped to 58mil salaries would be rolled back, there's no danger of Colorado losing players because of cap going down.

Old
08-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
If the cap gets dropped to 58mil salaries would be rolled back, there's no danger of Colorado losing players because of cap going down.
According to this article, there would be no roll-back.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404044

However, like we agreed in the other thread, there is likely still some negociations to be done. I expect the cap to be around $62-63M for this upcoming season based on what we heard from yesterday.

Old
08-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

58mil cap without buyouts (not the ones they're in now) or salary roll-back or something else simply isn't possible because of the numeber of teams already right at the cap or over it right now.

Old
08-29-2012, 12:59 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 157
No wonder Leafs want Stastny (I didn't know where to post this pic so I'm posting it here.)

Old
08-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Foppa2118

It sure seems like there is some kind of fine print in that new offer from the league. They are basically coming all the way up to an average of a 50% split in revenue, no rollback, and a big drop in the cap. Has to be something in that deal that would make players be paid less, and that to affect their cap number.

Even though GM's should have known better, I don't see the league doing that to them at this stage.

Old
08-29-2012, 01:34 PM
electricjib

I'm still laughing so hard at teams like the Wild right now overpaying for two players regardless of talent and skill.

Stuck with 13 years of a player with the cap bound to be lower. I hope they don't make salaries have rollbacks, if teams want to sign players to insanely long and high paying contracts they should honor it, not get the ability to get out of it. Especially teams like the Wild whose management and GM complained about these types of contracts, yet gave out two of the bigger ones handed out in the league.

Old
08-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Freaky Styley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
I'm still laughing so hard at teams like the Wild right now overpaying for two players regardless of talent and skill.

Stuck with 13 years of a player with the cap bound to be lower. I hope they don't make salaries have rollbacks, if teams want to sign players to insanely long and high paying contracts they should honor it, not get the ability to get out of it. Especially teams like the Wild whose management and GM complained about these types of contracts, yet gave out two of the bigger ones handed out in the league.
I have a feeling you'd be singing a different tune if one or both of those players decided to sign with us. I agree the term is long but there are a lot of ways to get out of those contracts once the players decline.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

The biggest problem with those deals for the Wild will be their innabilty to build around them. You can't expect Suter to carry the whole D. As of now they are right up against the cap, and after Suter they have a defenseively inept Tom Gilbert making $4M, and the rest are on $1M or cheaper deals.

As it is, if the cap goes down they'll have to find a team with cap space to take on a guy like Bouchard, or Heatley, or Backstrom, and that's just to get to the cap. How do they add the depth needed on D, and elsewhere that's needed to win a cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
I have a feeling you'd be singing a different tune if one or both of those players decided to sign with us. I agree the term is long but there are a lot of ways to get out of those contracts once the players decline.
Not really though. You could force them to retire, or shamefully send them to the minors, both of which would be incredibly disrespectful. Or you could buy them out and still pay a crapload of money, and over a longer period of time. Or try and trade a declining player with a $7.5M cap hit till he's 41.

Anything's possible, but it won't be very easy.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:33 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 157
So Kyle Turris got 5 years 17.5M contract.

Old
08-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Chileiceman

Apparently, Peter Mueller was not informed that he would not be qualified. Not that the Avs have an obligation to do so, but it seems like it would be a good thing to warn your players ahead of time that they're being let go. Especially since I doubt it was just a spur of the moment decision with the kind of cap room the Avs had.

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=640682

Old
08-29-2012, 07:05 PM
CB Joe

Quote:

I think Minnesota would just dump Heatley for picks and prospects.

Old
08-29-2012, 07:20 PM
CB Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
If the cap is 58mil the Avs are at the cap-limit now (after ROR signs), so they would have to ship something expensive (cough, cough Jones, cough cough Staz, cough cough Hejda) to be able to get it, and that would make no sense for the other team.
Avs could carry over bonuses (aprox. $2.5m-$3m) and trade one of their eight defencemen (aprox. $1.5m-$2.5m). That would give the Avs aprox. $7.5m-$9m to sign O'Reilly and make any improvements.

Old
08-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Apparently, Peter Mueller was not informed that he would not be qualified. Not that the Avs have an obligation to do so, but it seems like it would be a good thing to warn your players ahead of time that they're being let go. Especially since I doubt it was just a spur of the moment decision with the kind of cap room the Avs had.

This is the same team that offered one of the biggest parts of their team, Adam Foote a low ball contract a month or so before free agency, and then never talked to him again, and traded Deadmarsh when his kids were still in the hospital after being born premature.

They're about as cold as a sports franchise can be.

Old
08-29-2012, 08:41 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post

And from reading it, unless I missed something, all it says is that Mueller was surprised that he wasn't qualified...which is easy to understand because I think even we fans here were surprised at that as well.

But I don't see where it says that we just didn't let him know. Not that it would surprise me if we didn't, for reasons that Foppa2118 just listed.

Old
08-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:

You may very well laugh, but the cap will be much higher in 5 years, let alone 13 years, and if the economic crisis lasts that long, I'd be very surprised.

The Suter and Parise signings are good ones.

Old
08-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
You may very well laugh, but the cap will be much higher in 5 years, let alone 13 years, and if the economic crisis lasts that long, I'd be very surprised.

The Suter and Parise signings are good ones.
We have no way of knowing what the cap will be in 13 years, that's what make them bad contracts.

And before someone or you says I'd be singing a different tune if they were an Av, I said I wouldn't sign him to long term deals but rather 6 & 7 year contracts.

Closed Thread