HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Buying a suit

Old
08-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
You left out why you need the suit or what it's purpose is so it's hard to go on anything here but here's what I'd say.

Everyone should try to have one decent suit. I would not go to Moore's, their quality sucks. As others have said, go to a boutique place and see what they have. If you're looking at a mid-range suit in the 600 dollar range you might be able to get a Coppley (made in Canada and good quality) or a Hugo Boss. I've bought Coppley before (I have one that's about 13 years old back when they used to be called Cambridge) and it still looks brand new. I actually get compliments on it. Not bad for a suit that's over a decade old. At 600 bucks you may have to shop around for a deal, but you should be able to find one in that range. Going to the States is a great idea btw, then get it tailored when you get back home.

If you only have one suit I would also suggest you get a navy blue one. No stripes, two button single breasted. That's the standard classic suit. Why navy? It's versatile. It can be worn to business meetings, weddings or even funerals. If you're using it to job interview, a navy blue suit is the standard that people wear.

If you absolutely don't want navy for whatever reason, the second choice would be charcoal grey. Again, versatility is the key here. Black I would not get as it's too formal, looks really out of place in the summer time and some old school folks feel it should only be worn by waiters. I have a black suit, I wear it to business meetings on occassion but it gets nowhere near the use that my grey or blue suits get.

Lastly (and probably most importantly) make sure the suit FITS you. Fit is the key. Suits of the same size and style can still fit you differently. Put the suit on, try a few of them. See which ones fit the best and then make a decision. Don't just look at a label and buy on that criteria. Fit is just as important as the quality of suit. It's not one or the other... you need both.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 08-29-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You left out why you need the suit or what it's purpose is so it's hard to go on anything here but here's what I'd say.

Everyone should try to have one decent suit. I would not go to Moore's, their quality sucks. As others have said, go to a boutique place and see what they have. If you're looking at a mid-range suit in the 600 dollar range you might be able to get a Coppley (made in Canada and good quality) or a Hugo Boss. I've bought Coppley before (I have one that's about 13 years old back when they used to be called Cambridge) and it still looks brand new. I actually get compliments on it. Not bad for a suit that's over a decade old. At 600 bucks you may have to shop around for a deal, but you should be able to find one in that range. Going to the States is a great idea btw, then get it tailored when you get back home.

If you only have one suit I would also suggest you get a navy blue one. No stripes, two button single breasted. That's the standard classic suit. Why navy? It's versatile. It can be worn to business meetings, weddings or even funerals. If you're using it to job interview, a navy blue suit is the standard that people wear.

If you absolutely don't want navy for whatever reason, the second choice would be charcoal grey. Again, versatility is the key here. Black I would not get as it's too formal, looks really out of place in the summer time and some old school folks feel it should only be worn by waiters. I have a black suit, I wear it to business meetings on occassion but it gets nowhere near the use that my grey or blue suits get.

Lastly (and probably most importantly) make sure the suit FITS you. Fit is the key. Suits of the same size and style can still fit you differently. Put the suit on, try a few of them. See which ones fit the best and then make a decision. Don't just look at a label and buy on that criteria. Fit is just as important as the quality of suit. It's not one or the other... you need both.
What color should the shirt and tie be for an interview?? I really don't know what to wear lol

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Chris Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
Depending when you need it and what not

http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

Go in the "Visits" tab, then Canada, then Montreal.

These guys come over in various hotels in the world. They will take all your measurements. You choose your material, your cut, how many pockets/buttons you want, handcuffs and collars on shirts, etc. Everything is designed FOR YOU, on your measurements, and you choose everything.

They then send all your choices in Hong Kong, and it his made according to your specifications. You get it shipped back right at home about 6 weeks later.

I do this every time for shirts, it comes up to about 200$ for custom designed, high quality shirts that fit me perfectly, shipping and border transit included.

I am 100% you will not find a better deal for the same quality and custom tailored. The only annoyance is the delay from measurement to reception at home.
Totally agree. Also, it's about $200 for 3 shirts unless you buy the premium ones. That's less than the mall shirts cost and they are just beautiful. I've got about 2 dozen and wear them every time I need to wear a tie. The suits are more than worth it.

If you're in the area, you could also try Freeds in Windsor. Truth, pretty much all my suits come from there. They'll do same day alterations for a sure sale and have a suit for everyone, in every price range. They'll also be honest with you about the knock-offs vs. the designer brands and which ones are the classics that won't age, as long as you ask the right questions and they know it's a sale. They might push, but they know when to stop. The only trap is shirts and ties. Don't do it. Don't do it.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 309
Quote:
there are still quite a few very good old, near retirement, professional Taylor's around Montreal.

And they talk like a pro butler.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:21 PM
AnAverageHF

Quote:
there are still quite a few very good old, near retirement, professional Taylor's around Montreal.
True, I can personally vouch for Mayeu on Mt-Royal, just west of St-Denis. Not cheap as I recall, but I got a great suit there.

AnAverageHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:11 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Montreal use to have one hell of a great garment district.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:15 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller

http://www.arthurinc.ca/en/#.UD-sD2ie58w

WolfgangAmadeusEller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
http://www.simons.ca/fre/product/le_...ine/2945-22177

This looks good but with a price that low, I wonder if it's worth it.

bought the same today

quality is good.

Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Chomsky

For your shape Harry, go get a kenneth Cole from the Bay. Very often on sale, good fabric/threading and now made in Canada. 350-500$ (adjustment up to 100$, but you can get it done elsewhere for cheaper)

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:22 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
For your shape Harry, go get a kenneth Cole from the Bay. Very often on sale, good fabric/threading and now made in Canada. 350-500$ (adjustment up to 100$, but you can get it done elsewhere for cheaper)
I hope that means I'm in good shape.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs View Post
bought the same today

quality is good.
And all the aliterations are free for 30 days if you're not sure.

Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
What color should the shirt and tie be for an interview?? I really don't know what to wear lol
In an interview, you want them to notice you... not what you're wearing. Don't try to make a statement with some kind of funny tie. Rules for interviews:

Wardrobe:
Blue Suit preferably single breasted two button
White Dress Shirt
Black shoes and black belt to match. Shine the shoes.
Plain tie, blue is good red is okay... just make it professional and plain.

No fragranced aftershave or cologne (Some companies have policies against it and it can turn people off. Again, nobody is going to hire you if you wear a nice cologne but if they don't like it, it can work against you and you might not get the job.)

Short to medium length hair is best. No facial hair is best. No earrings or noserings if you can avoid it.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:08 PM
marvelousmotion

The best bang for your buck with your budget of $600 would probably be a Hugo Boss Jam/Sharp Suit. Normally retails around $800-900, but it's not uncommon to find one on sale at 30% off.

Why the Hugo Boss Jam/Sharp?
  • With the little time that you have, you don't have too many options. You will have to buy a ready-to-wear suit from a retail shop.
  • Quality of a Jam/Sharp Hugo Boss suit is head and shoulders better than any of the suits at other retailers costing you lower than $600. (i.e. Simons or Kenneth Cole at the Bay costing you $350-400) The incremental value you are getting for the $ for the better quality and fit is worth it.
  • The design and the fit of the suit is better than other designer suits costing $1000+. The Jam/Sharp is a classic suit for starters that can set you apart from others. It is the standard for a minimum "acceptable while still being affordable" suit in the industry.
  • The next better available option (which is a customized one from a very good tailor using expensive fabrics) will cost you more than $1,000 if hand-made here in Canada.
  • You want to stay away from Moore's, Mexx etc. Horrible fit / cheap quality and it really shows. You'd rather have one good suit at $600 than 3 cheap ones at under $200. Ladies often comment that a man looks best when dressed in a nice fitted suit. Do you really want to look sloppy when given the occasion?
  • Be ready to welcome the compliments rocking your new Jam/Sharp Hugo Boss suit.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:16 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmotion View Post
The best bang for your buck with your budget of $600 would probably be a Hugo Boss Jam/Sharp Suit. Normally retails around $800-900, but it's not uncommon to find one on sale at 30% off.

Why the Hugo Boss Jam/Sharp?
  • With the little time that you have, you don't have too many options. You will have to buy a ready-to-wear suit from a retail shop.
  • Quality of a Jam/Sharp Hugo Boss suit is head and shoulders better than any of the suits at other retailers costing you lower than $600. (i.e. Simons or Kenneth Cole at the Bay costing you $350-400) The incremental value you are getting for the $ for the better quality and fit is worth it.
  • The design and the fit of the suit is better than other designer suits costing $1000+. The Jam/Sharp is a classic suit for starters that can set you apart from others. It is the standard for a minimum "acceptable while still being affordable" suit in the industry.
  • The next better available option (which is a customized one from a very good tailor using expensive fabrics) will cost you more than $1,000 if hand-made here in Canada.
  • You want to stay away from Moore's, Mexx etc. Horrible fit / cheap quality and it really shows. You'd rather have one good suit at $600 than 3 cheap ones at under $200. Ladies often comment that a man looks best when dressed in a nice fitted suit. Do you really want to look sloppy when given the occasion?
  • Be ready to welcome the compliments rocking your new Jam/Sharp Hugo Boss suit.
Where would I buy it?

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
Where would I buy it?
You can find Hugo Boss at Harry Rosen's or some local boutiques... They make a decent suit.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Chris Nilan

Quote:
You can find Hugo Boss at Harry Rosen's or some local boutiques... They make a decent suit.
I'm not so sure. I had to replace my two-button black suit and the guy at Freeds tried to sell me the Boss. It was a little, um, young. The rise of the pants was way too low, which had several unfortunate effects, including making me look like I might be a member of Spinal Tap, if you get the reference.

Mind you, I go 5'10" and 158 lbs and have a >12" difference from chest to waist, so suits off the rack tend to be a pain -- except for my Armani two-button (from the Mani off the rack line that you used to be able to get at Holt Renfrew). In the end we went with the Savile Row Gold, which was a pretty decent knock-off of the Mani it was replacing and came in a shade under $600.

Btw, I wouldn't mix dots and stripes and I'd avoid paisley. These are too idiosyncratic for an interview.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Adamcrazy3

Do not go to Harry Rosen if you only have a 600$ budget. I just bought a suit from there and it cost me 1800$.

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nilan View Post
I'm not so sure. I had to replace my two-button black suit and the guy at Freeds tried to sell me the Boss. It was a little, um, young. The rise of the pants was way too low, which had several unfortunate effects, including making me look like I might be a member of Spinal Tap, if you get the reference.

Mind you, I go 5'10" and 158 lbs and have a >12" difference from chest to waist, so suits off the rack tend to be a pain -- except for my Armani two-button (from the Mani off the rack line that you used to be able to get at Holt Renfrew). In the end we went with the Savile Row Gold, which was a pretty decent knock-off of the Mani it was replacing and came in a shade under $600.
Most folks are lucky enough to be able to buy off the rack, but yeah you may have to go bespoke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nilan View Post
Btw, I wouldn't mix dots and stripes and I'd avoid paisley. These are too idiosyncratic for an interview.
Yup, solid navy blue, white shirt no stripes and solid blue tie. That's pretty much what you should wear.

Old
09-02-2012, 09:18 PM
RC51

I have had 3 suits made by him. Like I said, an old Italian tailor that has 40 years in the business and if asked will make you a very very good suit with a canvas core and all the bells and stuff. Bring him any picture of a suit or style and he can and will make a perfect fit.

Romano Tailleur Enrg
1215 Provost
Lachine, QC H8S 1N7
(514) 634-9577

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Railman
Potato

Quote:
Most folks are lucky enough to be able to buy off the rack
Most wear suits that don't fit well at all.

Railman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Most wear suits that don't fit well at all.
Most buy those suits from Moore's.

And that's fine if you aren't wearing suits very often. If you are... you probably want something a little better. Sometimes it's a matter of economics or priorities though. I'm of the belief that you're betting paying more up front to get a decent suit because if you don't you're going to be replacing it and spending the same or more over time anyway.