HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Old
08-29-2012, 09:26 AM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
hahahaha lol KHL and SEL didnt even want him oh man, egg on someone face for sure.
Maybe or maybe he chose the swiss league

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:53 AM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
I'm glad Omark is playing in a league more suited to his abilities. Good for him.

One thing though, he certainly did NOT sign there because of an impending lockout.

There are posters who are really trying too damn hard to make Omark look like something he is not. He isn't thinking, "hey, there MIGHT be a lockout this year in the NHL...I'll sign somewhere in Europe to beat the rush of other NHLers before the lockout happens."...that reasoning cannot work for him. He is not an NHLer. Hell, he isn't even a very good AHLer.

Using the logic that there WILL be a lockout, wouldn't you see a bunch of other NHLers signing on to Swiss and Euro teams at this point?

Omark knows he isn't cut out to play in the NHL, and he's going to take an option that better suits his playing style and personal needs (Ego), IMO. Omark just isn't an NHL caliber player.

He made a wise move.

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I'm glad Omark is playing in a league more suited to his abilities. Good for him.

One thing though, he certainly did NOT sign there because of an impending lockout.

There are posters who are really trying too damn hard to make Omark look like something he is not. He isn't thinking, "hey, there MIGHT be a lockout this year in the NHL...I'll sign somewhere in Europe to beat the rush of other NHLers before the lockout happens."...that reasoning cannot work for him. He is not an NHLer. Hell, he isn't even a very good AHLer.

Using the logic that there WILL be a lockout, wouldn't you see a bunch of other NHLers signing on to Swiss and Euro teams at this point?

Omark knows he isn't cut out to play in the NHL, and he's going to take an option that better suits his playing style and personal needs (Ego), IMO. Omark just isn't an NHL caliber player.

He made a wise move.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I could see Omark thinking something like that. It makes sense for him to leave the ship at this point..

I agree as well with other posters that we are likely looking at a lockout.

I think even the networks realize this. For instance entire replays of 87 Canada Cup telecast on nightly basis(yeah I know its 25yrs but..)

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Spadman

I'm thrilled that Omark is playing in switzerland. He can replace Brunner if there isnt a lockout. But why zug and not gotteron or davos ? Well it could be worse like bern

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
PS, maybee omark ends up in the same line as taylor Hall, saw his first choice was switzerland)
I swear if Hall signs with gotteron i will make a backflip right in my living room.

PS: Can someone tell me whats the chance of a lockout ? We dont have that much coverage over here.

Spadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:48 AM
oilersfan11

Who cares about Linus omark,he's not good enough to play in the NHL.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Hemsky4PM

A desperate team may give him another shot.

He's probably getting a decent deal over there, apartment paid for, plus 500K+, favorable tax situation and some incentives.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

yawn, finally this is over.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:13 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I could see Omark thinking something like that. It makes sense for him to leave the ship at this point..

I agree as well with other posters that we are likely looking at a lockout.

I think even the networks realize this. For instance entire replays of 87 Canada Cup telecast on nightly basis(yeah I know its 25yrs but..)
Agreed on all points, sadly.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:24 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
He's not locked out, he's Not signed. And, yes, JS is right, if you want to be an NHL player, you have to try to play against the best competition, the Swiss league isn't that.
Swiss league is getting better and they pay good money. But I agree his signing with the Swiss league is interesting. I am not going to comment on THE HUGE loss to the organization and the generational talent that the oilers completely misused

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadman View Post
I'm thrilled that Omark is playing in switzerland. He can replace Brunner if there isnt a lockout. But why zug and not gotteron or davos ? Well it could be worse like bern

I swear if Hall signs with gotteron i will make a backflip right in my living room.

PS: Can someone tell me whats the chance of a lockout ? We dont have that much coverage over here.
I absolutely love phrases translated to english like the bolded .

As far as the lockout, I don't think anyone has a really good idea of what might happen. I think most people agree that the season will start late (between October and December) but not very people forsee the NHL allowing an entire missed season again.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:40 PM
NewBoysClub97
All-Star

File this under "Who cares" lol

This guy has such a bad attitude.

NewBoysClub97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Oilers retain his rights. If he impresses over there maybe he increases his value and the Oilers can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. If the salary cap goes down substantially there's probably a few teams who could use a cheap complementary top-6 player.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:08 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Swiss leagues are not as bad as some people suggest and while it is not as good as the swedish league or the KHL, but it is getting better and pays good money

However, I predict that we will have news of Omark bashing the oilers in a foreign language paper, blog or on European TV within the next 3 weeks

Old
08-29-2012, 01:18 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
File this under "Who cares" lol

This guy has such a bad attitude.
He doesn't have bad attitude. He's not the sharpest tool in the box and his english is horrible so he makes dumb ass statements but the whole attitude thing is way overblown.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Ogopogo*

If he expects to be an NHL regular, I think he is fooling himself. Has some talent but didn't show enough during his time here to make me think he is anything other than Robbie Schremp II.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:24 PM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 383
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Meh, we still retain his rights so if he ever does come around and wants to try and come back to the NHL he will have to come back to us or we will get something via trade for him.

08-29-2012, 02:26 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadman View Post
... PS: Can someone tell me whats the chance of a lockout ? We dont have that much coverage over here.
Personally I thought right from the start when the NHL came out with their initial CBA proposal that there was a 100% chance of a lockout of some undetermined length... it's just a matter of how long it will be at this point. At first I thought odds were about 50-50 for a half season lost versus a full season lost. After the player's proposal I was leaning towards 25-75 half season versus full season.

I think the sides will agree to a 50%-50% revenue split... but who knows how long it takes to get both sides to that logical point... probably several months at minimum and if they go past late Jan with no agreement, the season would be toast again just like last time.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Good riddance to the Swedish Rob Schremp.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Ragss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post

Unless he lights it up over there. Then we can be sure there will be a god damn Omark thread on the front page for the next year or so.

Oh what could have been...

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:52 PM
SLURVE

Remember when in the 2010-2011 season, we were decimated with injuries (281 man games lost), Renney had no choice but to play Omark. We had lost Horc, Hemsky, Hall, Brule, Gagner, Eberle & others. Omark and PRV became our first unit PP and top line for nearly half of the season from (Jan 2011 on) or so.

Omark and PRV showed impressive instincts with each other -Omark seemed to find PRV for nice pp goals. That was Omark and PRV first year as NHLers. Omark had 27 points in 51 games or translate to approx 43 points in 82 games in a season. Not bad for a rookie. We were all quite impress with his tenacity and skill. He has relentless pursuit ability of the puck. He doesn't give up on the puck due to his aggressive competitiveness. He is crafty and hard to get off the puck.

Somehow the road to NHL success became quite rocky for Omark when the regulars came back the following season. Renney played him less due to his lack of NHL games. Being a competitive nature and perhaps some selfishness, he was not happy sitting. He wanted to play and he made it known. This is not new in sports and certainly didn't not stop coaches from playing guys like him. Perhaps some of it was lost in translation but it all did not sit well with Renney. Another reason for lack of playing time, we have many guys in the lineup with the size of Omark-basically similar type of players. Good luck to him and hopefully he can play in the NHL one day. He certainly can play in the NHL and has proven in his rookie year.

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

I wish the kid success.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:04 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
If you think it is over, you are sadly mistaken. There is a rather large group of posters who are convinced Omark walks on water and would solve a lot of the problems scoring the oilers have had. Hope him all the best. As I have been saying, his style of play is more suited to European style ice.

Old
08-30-2012, 05:01 AM
holyprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
Unless he lights it up over there. Then we can be sure there will be a god damn Omark thread on the front page for the next year or so.
I'd bet he will. He is basically replacing Damien Brunner who tries his luck in Detroit, so he will probably get a lot of icetime on the first unit/pp. And his style of play should match well with the league and the rather offensive approach Dough Shedden used over the last few years in Zug.

holyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:58 AM
Ferros

Just to make a few things clear.

1. Omark didn't go to SEL because "he didn't want to go home yet" and that he feels like he could become a better player playing abroad. Personally I don't think we will see Omark in SEL for at least another 3-4 years, I think that he would see it as a failure to go home and play in SEL for 10 years before he retired. If he wanted to go back to Sweden he would have had 12 offers from SEL teams and probably a few from SEL-2 too.

2. Omark got offers from KHL but he only wanted to play for CSKA Moscow, they had been giving home good offers but he wanted to wait and see how it tured out with the lockout. Once Omark decided that he would leave North America CSKA had filled their limit of five foreigners.

I think Omark is hoping that he will have a really good season in NLA, get to play for Tre Kronor and then hopefully get a spot on the WCHs in the spring. That would be a lot better than to once again play in the AHL, which he is too good for.

Either way I think it will be hard for him to get back to the NHL, maybe he will give it one more shot next year and play in the AHL for one season but if he doesn't manage to get a spot after that I could see him going to KHL for a few years before returning to SEL.

Ferros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:11 AM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

I really wish people would stop saying that Omark is too good for the AHL.

He really isn't.

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote