HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Everything Scott Gomez: The Official Discussion

Old
08-06-2012, 08:06 PM
SeriousHabs

vCash: 500
Gomez - Eller - Moen?

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:57 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I disagree with the overall assessment of Gomez's play. He's been bad for sure, but I still think he has what it takes to play top 6 minutes. He still drives possession quite well. I think he can contribute, I don't really care what the majority thinks. Everyone here has always been what have you done for me lately types. Last year, the whole team started off poorly and coming off the down year prior everything snowballed from there, injuries ect.

DD is the one who struggles against teams top opposition (top 6 opponents) the mistake is many believe he is the number one center AINEC. He is best served on the 3rd line.

Gomez was partly misused last year, he was never a dominate pp contributor and always contributed best 5vs5. His pp average was largely because the coaching staff was terrible. Not saying Gomez didn't play a role here, however, I think people are too quick to write him off, mainly due to the salary attached.
DD fared better than Gomez against similar or better competition (close to call) last season, despite Gomez getting ridiculous offensive zone starts.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Hullois

http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/...29-112745.html

Looks more and more like we'll be stuck with him for another year... ridiculous...

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:56 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post

Looks more and more like we'll be stuck with him for another year... ridiculous...
He's given a chance. As long as everyone is treated fairly it won't matter since he'll end up playing 13th forward or 4th line center pretty quick unless he somehow bounces back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics
DD is the one who struggles against teams top opposition (top 6 opponents) the mistake is many believe he is the number one center AINEC. He is best served on the 3rd line.
DD gets average or easy opposition but he doesn't ''struggle'' against top opposition otherwise he'd be absolutely terrible when not playing at the Bell Center. He doesn't perform as well but he holds his own fairly well, hence why he has a good +/- (very good relative to the rest of the team). He gets similar minutes and duty as Henrik Sedin, for example and yet there is no denying that Henrik is a first line center. A way of using your best scoring forwards is to give them pure scoring roles, thats whats been done with DD, Pacio and Cole. Considering we had very shallow offensive depth and our other centers are very good in defensive roles it made sense to do that.

Gomez had by far the easiest minutes on the entire team last year yet he couldn't score and was mediocre defensively. Gomez didn't get easy minutes to score (like DD) but because he was sheltered, hinting how much of a liability he was.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 08-29-2012 at 02:04 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Roulin

Quote:

I'm sure a lot depends on the new CBA. Until it becomes clear that the AHL or a buyout or whatever is the best option, management pretty much has to act as if he'll be on the team.

From the same article: "Outre Therrien et Molson, P.K. Subban, David Desharnais, Francis Bouillon, Lars Eller et Louis Leblanc étaient également présents à Terrebonne pour l'événement."

Does Eller live in North America now?

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 03:16 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

I told people he'd be back.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 03:54 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I told people he'd be back.
The season and the new CBA aren't signed yet miiiister.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
DD gets average or easy opposition but he doesn't ''struggle'' against top opposition otherwise he'd be absolutely terrible when not playing at the Bell Center. He doesn't perform as well but he holds his own fairly well, hence why he has a good +/- (very good relative to the rest of the team).
Having said that, his +/- on the road is 24 points lower than at home (+17 vs -7).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

You just don't discard a player BEFORE a season starts. You do it immediately after a season, you try to trade him if you can, but if you can't or more likely SINCE YOU CAN'T, you need to use him. Then, if he's not amongst your best 12 forwards, THEN you send him down.

But what did people really expect? That he's being send down in Hamilton BEFORE Hamilton has their first practice? Do people realize that lately, Hamilton started their regular practices AFTER the Habs send down their guys since we keep everybody up? If Gomez is just as good as Philippe Lefebvre, then yes...he'll be send down at the beginning of our camp. But since he will be better.....he's going to go to the end of the camp. Then we will see. But people really believed he'd be send down in Hamilton before Robert Mayer would....sorry, that's crazy. And that's SURELY not the Habs way.

By the way....I don't like Gomez, can't wait till he's gone so we can move on......but to a certain limit.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:17 PM
imisssaku
@imisssaku

Having Scott Gomez as a 4th line center isn't the worst thing in the world... but I would rather that shot be given to someone younger. Even Nokelainen, who at times looked pretty bad last year, could maybe become effective if he's dressed for a more significant amount of games.

Ryan White is the more likely candidate. With Prust, Moen, Armstrong, Leblanc, Geoffrion, Blunden all viable candidates for bottom 6 roles Gomez just takes up a spot where I'd rather see other players.

Now... Gomez is a pretty renown leader and is talked in a high regard by all his teammates . I think putting him in the AHL with the young group of stars working their way through the Bulldogs in the next couple years isn't a terrible idea. Leblanc, Palushaj, Geoffrion, Blunden, Gallagher, Holland, Bournival, Avstin, and next year possibly Galchenyuk, Collberg, Kristo, Bozon, Hudon etc...

His actual salary this year is 5.5 million... Next year it's 4.5 million. Maybe Molson will bite the bullet and send him to the minors. Scott Gomez seems like a dude who never gets all too rattled, and I would assume take the demotion like any pro and be a valuable asset to that team.

imisssaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:22 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Having said that, his +/- on the road is 24 points lower than at home (+17 vs -7).
I know, he was more dominant at home. -7 on this team isn't that bad however, listening to people talk here you'd expect DD to be -35 on the road. His +/- (both home and away) is nearly identical to Plekanec in 2010-11 (+16 -8).

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 08-30-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old
08-30-2012, 05:17 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisssaku View Post
Having Scott Gomez as a 4th line center isn't the worst thing in the world... but I would rather that shot be given to someone younger. Even Nokelainen, who at times looked pretty bad last year, could maybe become effective if he's dressed for a more significant amount of games.

Ryan White is the more likely candidate. With Prust, Moen, Armstrong, Leblanc, Geoffrion, Blunden all viable candidates for bottom 6 roles Gomez just takes up a spot where I'd rather see other players.

Now... Gomez is a pretty renown leader and is talked in a high regard by all his teammates . I think putting him in the AHL with the young group of stars working their way through the Bulldogs in the next couple years isn't a terrible idea. Leblanc, Palushaj, Geoffrion, Blunden, Gallagher, Holland, Bournival, Avstin, and next year possibly Galchenyuk, Collberg, Kristo, Bozon, Hudon etc...

His actual salary this year is 5.5 million... Next year it's 4.5 million. Maybe Molson will bite the bullet and send him to the minors. Scott Gomez seems like a dude who never gets all too rattled, and I would assume take the demotion like any pro and be a valuable asset to that team.
Problem is your fourth line is supposed to provide energy and boost spirits,that's not Gomez.The third line is more his speed.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:36 AM
MXD

Quote:
Which is pretty similar to the results obtained by Tomas Plekanec in 10-11, if i'm not mistaken.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:55 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Problem is your fourth line is supposed to provide energy and boost spirits,that's not Gomez.The third line is more his speed.
It is if he plays with two of Armstrong, Prust, Moen or White. Those are all energy guys to some extent and relatively tough customers as well. Gomez can troll to an extent, he'd make a decent Lapierre substitute

Speaking of which.. Lapierre, why?

Anyhow I'm convinced Gomez will start the year as third line winger or fourth line center. Many here won't like this one bit but if the Habs org intend to move Eller to wing they might start right away and use Gomez as third line center&Eller as 2nd line winger. This Gomez gets an honest chance of redeeming himself and Eller gets to play with top6 players.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:05 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Gomez bought out on Amnesty or get ready for the come back of boo birds.

It's that simple

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:10 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
It is if he plays with two of Armstrong, Prust, Moen or White. Those are all energy guys to some extent and relatively tough customers as well. Gomez can troll to an extent, he'd make a decent Lapierre substitute

Speaking of which.. Lapierre, why?

Anyhow I'm convinced Gomez will start the year as third line winger or fourth line center. Many here won't like this one bit but if the Habs org intend to move Eller to wing they might start right away and use Gomez as third line center&Eller as 2nd line winger. This Gomez gets an honest chance of redeeming himself and Eller gets to play with top6 players.
Lapierre would look darn good on next year Habs team...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
I thought +/- didn't matter to you? I guess it does when you like to make a case for a preconception

In 2010-11, Plekanec's +/- was +16 at home and -8 on the road. A differential of -24. Must have been a case of "soft minutes" and "shielding". He had a home face off % of 53% and a road % of 46%. This guy must really need the easy minutes.

Interesting

In 2010-11, DD was -1 at home in 22 games and scored 8 points. In 22 road games he was -2 and scored 14 points.

Cyclones Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:17 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
He would. He was always a player that I thought would want to come back, though. Especially under the new regime. I could see Bergevin making it a point to go out and get him if he tests free agency.

I expect the canucks to re-sign him, though, unless they have someone who can steal his spot I'm not familiar with.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:33 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He would. He was always a player that I thought would want to come back, though. Especially under the new regime. I could see Bergevin making it a point to go out and get him if he tests free agency.

I expect the canucks to re-sign him, though, unless they have someone who can steal his spot I'm not familiar with.
Agree with this. Game 4 against the Pens in the 2010 playoffs was on NHL network on Tuesday and I forgot how good Lapierre was in the playoffs, wish we still had him.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Which is pretty similar to the results obtained by Tomas Plekanec in 10-11, if i'm not mistaken.
Correct; while he was - wait for it - also facing opposition's top players... as he has every year since Koivu's departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I thought +/- didn't matter to you? I guess it does when you like to make a case for a preconception

In 2010-11, Plekanec's +/- was +16 at home and -8 on the road. A differential of -24. Must have been a case of "soft minutes" and "shielding". He had a home face off % of 53% and a road % of 46%. This guy must really need the easy minutes.

Interesting

In 2010-11, DD was -1 at home in 22 games and scored 8 points. In 22 road games he was -2 and scored 14 points.
Read the other reply above, check the advanced stats, and get then back to me. +/- can be used in certain ways with context, and I'd like you to show me exactly where it is that I ever suggested otherwise.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:32 PM
habFAN09

i really didnt want to see Gomez on the roster this year, id rather have another one of the kids come up, but looks like we will be frustered with Scotty's play once again this year...ugh

What really hurts here is if he puts up the same kind of numbers this year, he will be hurting his linemates as well and possibly the growth of the kids. Putting him on the third or forth lines is all well and good but gomez is not a grinder

habFAN09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Montreal Shadow

The management said the Gomez situation was one of the most important and that it would be dealt with for this season. Just seems like he'll be back.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:18 AM
BayouHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I miss that guy so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO69HwvdqNs

BayouHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
The management said the Gomez situation was one of the most important and that it would be dealt with for this season. Just seems like he'll be back.
Tell me how its possible after the new CBA brings in a much lower cap than 70 million, that Gomez will be on this team? THe numbers will make it impossible. He does not fit in financially or positionally . Gomez will not be in the habs line up whenever the season starts.

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:18 PM
OneSharpMarble

I wonder which two "lucky" wingers will get to watch this idiot race down the ice all season only to turn the puck over. They are probably hoping for a lockout lol

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote