Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
didn't realize Dougie was such a big Glen Murray fan

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:23 AM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I see Looch and McGrattan are very tight....I wonder if it's just from his time here or if they knew each other for awhile...

Also, neither Looch or his future use "you're", they continually use "your"... drives me nuts.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I see Looch and McGrattan are very tight....I wonder if it's just from his time here or if they knew each other for awhile...

Also, neither Looch or his future use "you're", they continually use "your"... drives me nuts.
When you only have 140 characters, you save space any way you can.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Quote:

I've never seen the word "mutant" used period, let alone every tweet..

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:39 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
I've never seen the word "mutant" used period, let alone every tweet..
Hahahaha.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:51 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

@RayBourque77: Hey @justinbieber heard you were a big hockey fan, remember the old guys?

This made me crack up

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 08:43 PM
caz16

Retweeted by Andrew Ference:

#LockoutProtestDay‏@lockoutprotest
@Ferknuckle @MilanLucic4 #lockoutprotestday is SEPT.15TH everyone FANS AND PLAYERS wear your team colors! #ItsNotAboutTheMoney #nolockout

It will be interesting to see if this catches on. While it won't make a difference in negotiations, it could be a fun Saturday to see fans in their colours.

Last edited by caz16: 09-04-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: (Retweeted by Andrew Ference)
caz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:55 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz16 View Post
Retweeted by Andrew Ference:

#LockoutProtestDay‏@lockoutprotest
@Ferknuckle @MilanLucic4 #lockoutprotestday is SEPT.15TH everyone FANS AND PLAYERS wear your team colors! #ItsNotAboutTheMoney #nolockout

It will be interesting to see if this catches on. While it won't make a difference in negotiations, it could be a fun Saturday to see fans in their colours.
#itsnotaboutthemoney

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:16 PM
BrainOfJ
Diva

Everyone wear a Bruins T that you bought from the team showing it's not about the money!

me thinks if this caught on, it would go along more with Bettman's "The fans will come back no matter what" than the players side.

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:50 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
#itsnotaboutthemoney
Yep. Love Ference to death but that's funny. And there's nothing wrong with wanting more money/a bigger piece of the pie.. It's just a little insulting to go around in the media and keep spouting that "#ThePlayers" only have the fans interest in heart and that "#itsnotaboutthemoney". Be honest about it, NHLPA

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:45 AM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:

You have heard him speak, right? Athletes are note PHD's....if you want them to be, you will be very disappointed

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBruin View Post
You have heard him speak, right? Athletes are note PHD's....if you want them to be, you will be very disappointed
Pot, meet kettle?

And athletes are like any other segment of society. Some idiots, a lot of average guys, and some very, very smart people.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:02 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Pot, meet kettle?

And athletes are like any other segment of society. Some idiots, a lot of average guys, and some very, very smart people.
that's funny

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:21 AM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Pot, meet kettle?

Typing on a smart phone...and for the record I am one

For the most part they are not very intelligent. Most are stuck at the advancement of a 12 year old. Most people would be if they had the same life. They are not like any other segment of society, they lead a very unusual life.

It's not meant as a knock on them, just being realistic.

Last edited by jasonbaz77*: 09-05-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old
09-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Typing on a smart phone...and for the record I am one

For the most part they are not very intelligent. Most are stuck at the advancement of a 12 year old. Most people would be if they had the same life. They are not like any other segment of society, they lead a very unusual life.

It's not meant as a knock on them, just being realistic.
"For the most part"? "Most"? So you believe the majority of professional athletes are cement heads? Guys like Patrice Bergeron, Zdeno Chara (who has a degree in economics and speaks at least six languages), Rich Peverley, Chris Kelly, Andrew Ference, are 12-year-olds? George Parros, who has an economics degree from Princeton? Gabriel Landeskog, named captain of an NHL team at 19, who lived on his own in a foreign country at 16? Jonathan Toews? Marty St. Louis? Pavel Datsyuk?

Of course there are unintelligent athletes. But to claim they are the majority is simply buying into the stereotype. Sure, there's a few around, and they attract attention when they say/do something outrageous. But I'd say they're a minority, probably fewer than the intelligent, and MUCH fewer than the average joe sort of guys.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:03 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Me thinks someone forgot how stupid 12 year olds can be

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:05 AM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
"For the most part"? "Most"? So you believe the majority of professional athletes are cement heads? Guys like Patrice Bergeron, Zdeno Chara (who has a degree in economics and speaks at least six languages), Rich Peverley, Chris Kelly, Andrew Ference, are 12-year-olds? George Parros, who has an economics degree from Princeton? Gabriel Landeskog, named captain of an NHL team at 19, who lived on his own in a foreign country at 16? Jonathan Toews? Marty St. Louis? Pavel Datsyuk?

Of course there are unintelligent athletes. But to claim they are the majority is simply buying into the stereotype. Sure, there's a few around, and they attract attention when they say/do something outrageous. But I'd say they're a minority, probably fewer than the intelligent, and MUCH fewer than the average joe sort of guys.
You are naming the smart ones. I didn't say there were not any, there definitely are. Most high end athletes got where they are because at a very early age that was their focus. This will impact other areas of their development. Not only intelligence but maturity. The vast majority of them have never had a real job. Most of them have been coddled and treated like children even into their 30's+. This is just the way it is. For most people, that is what would happen if their life was that way.

You are saying the majority of ATHLETES...not just Hockey players are intelligent? More intelligent than a typical person who goes through a normal education and development in maturity? It's just not true.

Again, it's not a knock on them, that is their life. Most athletes are consumed by their sport. That is how they became superior in it. There are very few who excel in athletics and academics. Why is that so controversial? That is like being offended if you say most geniuses are not high end athletes. You are saying most athletes are intelligent, and more intelligent than the average person. That makes no sense. Why would they be more intelligent than the average person? That is like saying most people who are extremely intelligent are also very athletic. The truth is that most people fall in the middle on many things, some people excel in some things and very very few people excel in many competing things.

We like these guys. I know I do. That makes you tend to read into things that just are not there. I would say Hockey players are generally on the high end compared to other sports, but still basically just big kids in very athletic bodies. Nothing wrong with that. I envy that life actually Not everyone can be Ken Dryden guys.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
You are naming the smart ones. I didn't say there were not any, there definitely are. Most high end athletes got where they are because at a very early age that was their focus. This will impact other areas of their development. Not only intelligence but maturity. The vast majority of them have never had a real job. Most of them have been coddled and treated like children even into their 30's+. This is just the way it is. For most people, that is what would happen if their life was that way.

You are saying the majority of ATHLETES...not just Hockey players are intelligent? More intelligent than a typical person who goes through a normal education and development in maturity? It's just not true.

Again, it's not a knock on them, that is their life. Most athletes are consumed by their sport. That is how they became superior in it. There are very few who excel in athletics and academics. Why is that so controversial? That is like being offended if you say most geniuses are not high end athletes. You are saying most athletes are intelligent, and more intelligent than the average person. That makes no sense. Why would they be more intelligent than the average person? That is like saying most people who are extremely intelligent are also very athletic. The truth is that most people fall in the middle on many things, some people excel in some things and very very few people excel in many competing things.

We like these guys. I know I do. That makes you tend to read into things that just are not there. I would say Hockey players are generally on the high end compared to other sports, but still basically just big kids in very athletic bodies. Nothing wrong with that. I envy that life actually Not everyone can be Ken Dryden guys.
I did not say that AT ALL.

I said, if you bother to read my post, that there are a few cementheads, some very very smart guys, and MOST ARE AVERAGE JOES.

I don't think Peverley is a MENSA candidate, nor is Datsyuk. I listed them as examples of people with "normal" intelligence.

If you look at every NHL roster, you will undoubtedly find a few extremely bright people, perhaps two or three dopes, and 12 to 15 regular guys. You are claiming that the "majority" are 12-year-olds, which I can tell you without a doubt is incorrect.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:25 AM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
I did not say that AT ALL.

I said, if you bother to read my post, that there are a few cementheads, some very very smart guys, and MOST ARE AVERAGE JOES.

I don't think Peverley is a MENSA candidate, nor is Datsyuk. I listed them as examples of people with "normal" intelligence.

If you look at every NHL roster, you will undoubtedly find a few extremely bright people, perhaps two or three dopes, and 12 to 15 regular guys. You are claiming that the "majority" are 12-year-olds, which I can tell you without a doubt is incorrect.
I would not argue with that estimate. Probably closest to the truth.

I think we both misread each other. My original post was actually in defense of Looch, but it looked like I was knocking him. I can see how it looked that way.

Hey, I would love to live their life (at least the very successful ones.)

Old
09-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I would not argue with that estimate. Probably closest to the truth.

I think we both misread each other. My original post was actually in defense of Looch, but it looked like I was knocking him. I can see how it looked that way.

Hey, I would love to live their life (at least the very successful ones.)
Fair enough.

As for Twitter, as a grammar nut, much of what I see drives me mad, but I realize that auto-correct, large thumbs and people in a hurry account for a lot of mistakes.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:43 AM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Fair enough.

As for Twitter, as a grammar nut, much of what I see drives me mad, but I realize that auto-correct, large thumbs and people in a hurry account for a lot of mistakes.
Auto-correct is my nemesis

Old
09-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

For those who don't follow Andrew Ference (@Fernuckle) or Patrick Burke (@BurkieYCP), there was a Twitter back-and-forth Monday night that ended up with Burke agreeing to run the stairs Wednesday morning (6:30 a.m.!) at Harvard Stadium with Ference in return for pledges to You Can Play. More than $2,000 pledged so far. Great stuff.

https://twitter.com/BurkieYCP

Old
09-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

A friend of mine has been trying to get me to run the stairs at the stadium for months now. This might be the final push I need.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
A friend of mine has been trying to get me to run the stairs at the stadium for months now. This might be the final push I need.
Hey why not? At worst, you can rest and watch the goings-on.