HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part X

Closed Thread

Old
08-29-2012, 03:34 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
How many "first-line superstars" were unable to be one of the top two scorers on their junior team the year after they were drafted? Does Jensen's short time in the AHL erase his inability to be an elite scorer at the OHL level?

I like Jensen, however, I don't really see him as a first line player in the NHL. I think his statistics suggest his potential is that of a second line player. Which is fine where we drafted him.
Oshawa was a bit of a mess last year. There is a reason why the Canucks are more than happy to have Jensen move to the SEL (and it isn't just so he can play against men).

Old
08-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguscertified View Post
Oshawa was a bit of a mess last year. There is a reason why the Canucks are more than happy to have Jensen move to the SEL (and it isn't just so he can play against men).
That may explain why the team as a whole did not score as much, however, I don't think it explains why Jensen still wasn't able to crack the top two in scoring.

Old
08-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
This, and as many (including Jensen himself) have said, his game is more designed for pro-hockey and a more distinct systematic type of play, which is harder to achieve in Juniors. I think the 6 goals he scored in 8 games in the AHL at the end of the season really shows this; and while I don't expect him to continue with that scoring pace over the course of a year, he could have been successful in the AHL next season. We will see how being in the SEL changes the way he plays his game, and I think it will benefit his development.

Old
08-29-2012, 04:44 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
That may explain why the team as a whole did not score as much, however, I don't think it explains why Jensen still wasn't able to crack the top two in scoring.
Not all players develop in a perfect linear fashion. I'm not arguing for or against him being a 1st or 2nd line player (a lot depends on line mates), but I wouldn't consider him not leading the Generals in scoring to be indicative of his absolute upside.

Old
08-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Not all players develop in a perfect linear fashion. I'm not arguing for or against him being a 1st or 2nd line player (a lot depends on line mates), but I wouldn't consider him not leading the Generals in scoring to be indicative of his absolute upside.
Well of course not. Few things would be absolutely indicative of a player's upside. I just find it hard to believe that a player that couldn't be a top two scorer on his own junior team could be a top 3 scorer on an NHL team. Certainly not impossible, just unlikely at this point IMO.

Old
08-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Well of course not. Few things would be absolutely indicative of a player's upside. I just find it hard to believe that a player that couldn't be a top two scorer on his own junior team could be a top 3 scorer on an NHL team. Certainly not impossible, just unlikely at this point IMO.
I think most people see Jensen as a high quality 2nd liner who can play 1st line. I say he'll be someone who scores 30 goals and 25 assists. He may have a career year around 70 points, but for the most part I see him as a 30 goal, 50-60 point scorer.

Old
08-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Your focusing too much on junior #'s certain players are made for the pro game and Jensen fits
that to a T.

Last edited by Derp Kassian: 08-30-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old
08-30-2012, 08:27 AM
trytobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I think most people see Jensen as a high quality 2nd liner who can play 1st line. I say he'll be someone who scores 30 goals and 25 assists. He may have a career year around 70 points, but for the most part I see him as a 30 goal, 50-60 point scorer.
In my mind a 30-goal scorer is a first liner, regardless of how many total points he puts up.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:09 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Eddie Lack is our #2 prospect. Personally, I had him as my #1, but we took a consensus from a few of the writers:

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/8/30/ca-...s-2-eddie-lack

Great insights from a few goaltending scouts/experts - Justin Goldman and Kevin Woodley.

Woodley:

Quote:
Lack always relied on his raw athleticism while growing up a goalie in Sweden, and didn’t begin to refine his game from a tactical and positional standpoint until he arrived in Brynas IF and began working with Pecca Alcen. Keep in mind that was just one season before he was signed by the Canucks as an undrafted free agent, and he was already 21-years old – an astonishingly late age to be told for the first time that he ‘played like he was 5-foot-3’.
Goldman:

Quote:
You’re never truly ready for the NHL until you’ve played in an NHL game. You can look like you’re 100% there, you can have all the skill and upside in the world, but you can’t know until you’ve been there. The preseason could be the time that Lack proves to the coaching staff, and the goalie coach, that he’s really ready for NHL action. So I’d say he’s 95% of the way there and the only reason that’s not 100% is that he has yet to play in an NHL game.

Old
08-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Eddie Lack is our #2 prospect. Personally, I had him as my #1, but we took a consensus from a few of the writers:

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/8/30/ca-...s-2-eddie-lack

Great insights from a few goaltending scouts/experts - Justin Goldman and Kevin Woodley.

Woodley:

Goldman:
the article itself is unfortunately really poorly written. sure, he can mention that yeah, he didn't quite agree with concensus, but does he really need four or five paragraphs detailing this out? we get it, he didn't agree with him at #2, but shutup about it already

Old
08-30-2012, 02:22 PM
lindgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
the article itself is unfortunately really poorly written. sure, he can mention that yeah, he didn't quite agree with concensus, but does he really need four or five paragraphs detailing this out? we get it, he didn't agree with him at #2, but shutup about it already
I disagree. It's a lucid, well-written article. It addresses Lack specifically as well as the more general issue of rating goaltending prospects, and it does so effectively.

Old
08-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
I disagree. It's a lucid, well-written article. It addresses Lack specifically as well as the more general issue of rating goaltending prospects, and it does so effectively.
no, it does so verbosely. he dedicated more time talking about how much the pick upset him than he did talking about lack the prospect.

the impressive thing is that every single article before this one was written well. guess you gotta miss sometimes!

Old
08-30-2012, 02:50 PM
lindgren

Quote:
no, it does so verbosely. he dedicated more time talking about how much the pick upset him than he did talking about lack the prospect.

the impressive thing is that every single article before this one was written well. guess you gotta miss sometimes!
No. He's presenting an analysis in which you have no interest, but that's not verbose, and it's not off topic. The article supports a ranking, so the logic behind the ranking is germane.

Old
08-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
No. He's presenting an analysis in which you have no interest, but that's not verbose, and it's not off topic. The article supports a ranking, so the logic behind the ranking is germane.
it's wasteful. explain it quickly, and be done. he doesn't need five variations of "well i just hate putting goaltenders at the top!"

are you dimitri filipovic?

anyways, it's explained in the article that he's only been part of CA for a very short time. i'm sure he'll get better

Old
08-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Dr Good Vibes

Quote:
Just read the article. Seems like you guys decided to take out your vocabularies and measure them.

The article has a very poor start. He asks questions and does not answer them. Its meandering and a bit fluffy in the beginning.

However, rest of the article is quite good with interviews and to the point commentary.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between you two. Now, can we all just be friends?

Old
08-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Tiranis

That was one of the worst articles I have ever read on Canucks Army and there have been some pretty bad ones.

Old
08-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Hockeyfrilla

Jensen playing on the first line today, no points for him. Ludwig Blomstrand with 2 goals playing on the first line aswell.

Last edited by Hockeyfrilla: 08-30-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old
08-30-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Jensen playing on the first line today, no points for him tho. Ludwig Blomstrand with 2 goals playing on the first line aswell.
This is probably a stupid question, but are Jensen and Blomstrand on the same team this year? Totally can't remember where Ludwig is playing. But wow, 2 goals and on the first line? Do we have a sleeper here?

Old
08-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Elbows of Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Jensen playing on the first line today, no points for him. Ludwig Blomstrand with 2 goals playing on the first line aswell.
Found this quote from someone who also has Ludwig scoring two too.

Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato,

"#Canucks prospect Nicklas Jensen makes his @AIKishockey debut and picks up an assist in a 2-0 win over Sundsvall in preseason action."

Old
08-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
This is probably a stupid question, but are Jensen and Blomstrand on the same team this year? Totally can't remember where Ludwig is playing. But wow, 2 goals and on the first line? Do we have a sleeper here?
They are not on the same team. Jensen is on AIK while Blomstrand is on Djurgården. Both teams are from Stockholm though.

Blomstrand improved quiet well in his post-draft year. He went from 7 points in 35 games in junior, to 31 points in 41 games in junior and 1 point 18 games in SEL. Djurgården was relegated last year though, so they'll be playing in Allsvenskan this year, this might not be a bad thing for Blomstrand though. It means he'll have an easier time to get top 6 ice-time. If he continues to improve this year, he could be on the road to the NHL. His upside though, is nothing more than a Hansen type players who works hard every shift and will put up some points here and there.

Old
08-30-2012, 05:21 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
They are not on the same team. Jensen is on AIK while Blomstrand is on Djurgården. Both teams are from Stockholm though.

Blomstrand improved quiet well in his post-draft year. He went from 7 points in 35 games in junior, to 31 points in 41 games in junior and 1 point 18 games in SEL. Djurgården was relegated last year though, so they'll be playing in Allsvenskan this year, this might not be a bad thing for Blomstrand though. It means he'll have an easier time to get top 6 ice-time. If he continues to improve this year, he could be on the road to the NHL. His upside though, is nothing more than a Hansen type players who works hard every shift and will put up some points here and there.
Can never have too many Hansen-types.

Glad to hear he's developing...was such an 'out there' pick at the time (from what I recall, I most certainly hadn't heard of him).

Any chance he makes the World Junior team?

Old
08-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Can never have too many Hansen-types.

Glad to hear he's developing...was such an 'out there' pick at the time (from what I recall, I most certainly hadn't heard of him).

Any chance he makes the World Junior team?
He was definitely an out there pick. And very questionable at the time because he hardly produced in junior at the time.

I just had a quick scan on the Sweden board. He could make the WJC team, but it's far from certain, he seems to be in the vicinity of the team right now. So he'll have to show himself during the fall if he's gonna be on the team.

Old
08-30-2012, 06:04 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
I appreciated the different take. I, personally, had Lack as the #1 prospect. But different opinions are always good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
That was one of the worst articles I have ever read on Canucks Army and there have been some pretty bad ones.
As a very biased observer, I think we put out consistently great content. What are the faults you are finding?

Our number one prospect tomorrow won't be much of a surprise. We used a 50GP cap (Tanev not eligible).

Old
08-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
As a very biased observer, I think we put out consistently great content. What are the faults you are finding?

Our number one prospect tomorrow won't be much of a surprise. We used a 50GP cap (Tanev not eligible).
I'm not saying Canucks Army regularly publishes crap, I'm just saying in the 100s (or 1000s?) of articles that have been published, there's been some pretty bad ones. I don't remember the exact ones.

This was just an extremely poorly written piece — both in terms of the writing and content. I especially found it frustrating that the author found it necessary to spend so much time repeating that he didn't agree with ranking goalies highly, debating their value, etc. — the whole time I felt like somebody was screaming "I told you so" in my ear.

Old
08-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
at least when the season was going, i would associate patrick johnston with consistent white noise - he'd ask an inane question like: "is ryan kesler a good player?"

'ryan kesler has had some controversy. his agent has said a thing and he had an off season.

but he scores goals and is good defensively.

in conclusion, ryan kesler is a hockey player who should stay on the team'

everything he wrote kinda reminded me of grade school when i was trying to make stuff up about a book or a subject i didn't read/know about so i just filled it with the obvious

on the other hand, his prospect profiles have shown me that he can be a good writer so... i dunno

Closed Thread