HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Selanne re-signs with Ducks (1 year, $4.5M)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-29-2012, 04:22 PM
  #76
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,852
vCash: 500
It's a two way street but Bettman designed the last CBA and now 7 years later he needs a new one because the original one is no longer good enough. He should have gotten things right after losing a year of hockey last time.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:52 PM
  #77
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,128
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
It's a two way street but Bettman designed the last CBA and now 7 years later he needs a new one because the original one is no longer good enough. He should have gotten things right after losing a year of hockey last time.
A team of about 100 lawyers and advisors designed the last CBA, as directed by a group weaselly millionaire owners and millionaire athletes.

Bettman's role in that was somewhere between a mediator and a policeman. What he was NOT was a solo architect, cackling in his study while drafting his own vision of a perfect CBA.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 06:22 PM
  #78
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
A team of about 100 lawyers and advisors designed the last CBA, as directed by a group weaselly millionaire owners and millionaire athletes.

Bettman's role in that was somewhere between a mediator and a policeman. What he was NOT was a solo architect, cackling in his study while drafting his own vision of a perfect CBA.
You knew what I meant. I'll rephrase my comment: Bettman/the owners/the advisors, lawyers etc are far more to blame than the players.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 06:39 PM
  #79
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,219
vCash: 50
Especially since the players aren't the ones who designed contracts that effectively make the salary cap a bit of a joke. That falls on the GM's, who try to find every loop hole they can, and on the designers of the CBA who allowed the loop holes to exist.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:02 PM
  #80
Finnpin
Registered User
 
Finnpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,496
vCash: 500
Teemu's 1 hour episode at Finnish food/travel show, 2 star Michelin chef visits Anaheim:

Mostly in Finnish and little bit of english...not sure does this show abroad?

http://www.katsomo.fi/?progId=139420

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:05 AM
  #81
Lui One Hall
Registered User
 
Lui One Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
...

Lui One Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:53 PM
  #82
JabbaJabba
Registered User
 
JabbaJabba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,913
vCash: 552
Teemu is already thinking about next season http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...aan-lopullista. He doesn't want to rule out the possibility of continuing his career after this "season".

Google's translation is once again hilarious:
"Teemu Selanne is waiting for the other NHL players, like the end of the lockout. At the same time the winger already thinking about next season, little by little patterns.

42-year-old Stanley Cup winner does not knock out the idea that he plays NHL puck next season yet.

- Over the years I have learned that we should never say never. The mood and situations change so quickly. And when you do not have to say anything definitive, so there is no point to say anything, figuring Selanne MTV3 interview in Anaheim.

Even last season Joker increased the Ducks had the best point man.

- I'm 42 years old and I have to think carefully about what and when to leave the leaves. Life is a lot more things than hockey, but this is a very important thing for me is, of course, rolled Selanne.

Ridge dates in Southern California to wear during exercise, and children.

- I have enjoyed such a life, when the games did not have. I have been involved in children's sports activities."

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 03:40 PM
  #83
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Especially since the players aren't the ones who designed contracts that effectively make the salary cap a bit of a joke. That falls on the GM's, who try to find every loop hole they can, and on the designers of the CBA who allowed the loop holes to exist.
The agents, who are employed by the players, had just as large of a hand in designing those contracts if you want to be fair about it. And then demanding that every star player get one.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:01 AM
  #84
Duck Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Laguna Hills, CA
Posts: 480
vCash: 500
The real bummer about this lockout/strike is that the last one saved Teemu's career and this one may end it.

Duck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:07 AM
  #85
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Fan View Post
The real bummer about this lockout/strike is that the last one saved Teemu's career and this one may end it.
I gotta be honest, I love Teemu, have enjoyed watching him play all those great games in Anaheim. There will never be another Duck like him probably. But, having said all that, I'm not going to be too torn up about the guy retiring. I'll miss watching him play, but I feel like it's time to move on.

Most people here probably think I'm an idiot. Go ahead, fire away.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:29 AM
  #86
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects
 
SupermanPahlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I gotta be honest, I love Teemu, have enjoyed watching him play all those great games in Anaheim. There will never be another Duck like him probably. But, having said all that, I'm not going to be too torn up about the guy retiring. I'll miss watching him play, but I feel like it's time to move on.

Most people here probably think I'm an idiot. Go ahead, fire away.
Him retiring wouldn't bother me as much, as I thought he was done last lockout, so everything since then is icing on the cake. But it would detriment our scoring depth quite a bit, seeing as even though he's playing third-line minutes, he's the fourth best forward.

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:40 AM
  #87
sirMcDuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 301
vCash: 500
OK! Things in Anaheim are just fine...



"We don't need our last season best player. We have Getzlaf - don't worry!"

Guys, please...

sirMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:00 PM
  #88
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirMcDuck View Post
OK! Things in Anaheim are just fine...



"We don't need our last season best player. We have Getzlaf - don't worry!"

Guys, please...
And Perry, and Bobby Ryan, not to mention a pretty decent blue line, and a healthy Hiller. I could go on, but I think the point is made. At any rate, if Getzlaf isn't our best player, we're already in trouble. With or without Selanne. Losing Selanne is going to hurt, and you can't replace a Teemu Selanne, but if the Ducks live and die by Selanne, something is seriously wrong.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:38 PM
  #89
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,628
vCash: 500
To add, I seriously hope that when Selanne hangs them up that guys like Getzlaf and Ryan step up and realize that they can't fall back on Teemu anymore. I hope it lights a fire under them and they become the one's that carry the club.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:08 PM
  #90
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects
 
SupermanPahlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
And Perry, and Bobby Ryan, not to mention a pretty decent blue line, and a healthy Hiller. I could go on, but I think the point is made. At any rate, if Getzlaf isn't our best player, we're already in trouble. With or without Selanne. Losing Selanne is going to hurt, and you can't replace a Teemu Selanne, but if the Ducks live and die by Selanne, something is seriously wrong.
I've always been of the opinion that except for some situations, a great team is built around that #1C. When Getzlaf is our best player, the Ducks flourish. IMO, there isn't a more important position in hockey.

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:12 PM
  #91
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 41,852
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Fan View Post
The real bummer about this lockout/strike is that the last one saved Teemu's career and this one may end it.
If the lock-out cancels the whole season, Teemu will play for Jokerit, it's been confirmed by the club.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:24 PM
  #92
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
I've always been of the opinion that except for some situations, a great team is built around that #1C. When Getzlaf is our best player, the Ducks flourish. IMO, there isn't a more important position in hockey.
Agreed. Most definitely.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:14 AM
  #93
phamJET
Registered User
 
phamJET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
This is great news, the fact that he still has a desire to play hockey, even if its with a less prominent league and team means he still has the fire and desire to continue playing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
If the lock-out cancels the whole season, Teemu will play for Jokerit, it's been confirmed by the club.

phamJET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:09 PM
  #94
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,546
vCash: 500
I just watched 2007 stanley cup final game 5, its full on youtube..



If getzlaf just allways was playing like that... dat morale

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:18 PM
  #95
Fighter
Legend
 
Fighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Trieste, Italy
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
And Perry, and Bobby Ryan, not to mention a pretty decent blue line, and a healthy Hiller. I could go on, but I think the point is made. At any rate, if Getzlaf isn't our best player, we're already in trouble. With or without Selanne. Losing Selanne is going to hurt, and you can't replace a Teemu Selanne, but if the Ducks live and die by Selanne, something is seriously wrong.
And that's why we sucked last year. Perry wasn't as deadly as the previous season, Ryan seemed bothered by trade talks and Getzlaf simply wasn't there.
Selanne is way more than the supposedly fourth best player on the team, he is the face of our franchise and the guy who put Anaheim on the hockey map (with... ugh... Kariya).

Losing him and "moving on" (who's gonna replace such a legend?) won't help our Ducks one bit.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
  #96
Jspiral
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
I just watched 2007 stanley cup final game 5, its full on youtube..



If getzlaf just allways was playing like that... dat morale

Thanks for the tip! For others interested in watching this game... here's the link.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onsAP_JKKdI

Jspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:40 PM
  #97
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects
 
SupermanPahlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspiral View Post
Thanks for the tip! For others interested in watching this game... here's the link.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onsAP_JKKdI
Ugh. Just watching the first few minutes of that game reminds me how much I miss Pronger and that checking line.

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 07:02 PM
  #98
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
Ugh. Just watching the first few minutes of that game reminds me how much I miss Pronger and that checking line.
Scotty Nieds wasn't too shabby himself. Miss that guy.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 07:13 PM
  #99
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,852
vCash: 500
I always though Rob Niedermayer was underappreaciated while he was here. Some fans absolutely hated him but he was one of the best guys in the league along the boards and could chew up tough defensive minutes by getting the puck deep in the offensive zone, winning board battles and making the other teams stars chase him and Pahlsson around.

But yeah, I definitely miss Nieds, Pronger and Pahlsson. Andy McDonald wouldn't be a bad choice to play 2nd line centre about now also....

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 03:02 AM
  #100
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,546
vCash: 500
And the dustin penner played that game well too.. very powerfull player. Ducks were bad ass those days.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.