HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stand-up (hybrid, maybe?) style questions

Old
08-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Beezeral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Yeah, but that's going to take a while to shake off after 12 years of being a soccer goalie
Keep this in your mind at all times.

Your glove hand should NEVER cross over your chest. When using the glove to make a save, your thumb should ALWAYS be pointing up. (if you are catching a puck and your thumb is pointing to the ice, you did it wrong)

And

NEVER bend over to reach down for a puck to make a save. (if your head is tilting forward and your back is parallel with the ice, you did it wrong.) If its a low shot that you want to catch, drop into a butterfly and then catch it.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

vCash: 725
I'm not really understanding your logic, you say you would prefer to catch, but if you're down in butterfly a shot is much more likely to go to your glove area especially in a low level beer league. Plus, if you are playing a noticeably standup style, any team with a half-decent coach or smart player is going to realise this and tell the team to shoot low, and your glove won't see any action all night.

Plus as people have already said positioning is the #1 priority in goaltending and even if you are small you can be successful with good positioning.

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Keep this in your mind at all times.

Your glove hand should NEVER cross over your chest. When using the glove to make a save, your thumb should ALWAYS be pointing up. (if you are catching a puck and your thumb is pointing to the ice, you did it wrong)

And

NEVER bend over to reach down for a puck to make a save. (if your head is tilting forward and your back is parallel with the ice, you did it wrong.) If its a low shot that you want to catch, drop into a butterfly and then catch it.
Both of these are common soccer moves that I carried over. I'm screwed in terms of bad habits I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I'm not really understanding your logic, you say you would prefer to catch, but if you're down in butterfly a shot is much more likely to go to your glove area especially in a low level beer league. Plus, if you are playing a noticeably standup style, any team with a half-decent coach or smart player is going to realise this and tell the team to shoot low, and your glove won't see any action all night.
I'm new to this, I'm not supposed to make sense

But no seriously, I just don't trust my lower body enough... yet. I'll have to if I want to have some sort of success, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Plus as people have already said positioning is the #1 priority in goaltending and even if you are small you can be successful with good positioning.
Yeah, I'll have to work on that too especially on the short-range shots, I go way too far out of the crease sometimes.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:39 PM
nightfighter

Don't worry so much about your style and just concentrate on making the saves. Your job as a goalie is to stop the puck with any means possible. If that means getting on your knees, then you do it. Stand up goalies that only stand up will get burned just as much as butterfly goalies that only butterfly. As you grow and learn in the position you will start to learn more about save selection.

Now the thing about being a small goalie (for any goalie really, but for small goalies especially) is that you have to control your depth and your angles. Obviously, you have to be a really good skater to do this. Work on your skating and movement in the crease (C-cuts, T-pushes, etc) first and foremost. Once you can get to wherever you want quickly and efficiently, you'll find selecting the proper save method much easier as you're not always scrambling and making motions in desperation.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote