HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

World cup in junior hockey teams

Old
08-29-2012, 07:20 PM
cska78

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Derby? You're exaggerating the rivalry between Finnish and Swedish club teams.
what was the reaction at the "akkala kakkala" board?

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
what was the reaction at the "akkala kakkala" board?
Feel free to read it yourself, all of two posts relating to this tournament: http://keskustelu.jatkoaika.com/showthread.php?t=52866

While Finns and Swedes "don't get along" in national teams contests, there's very little rivalry when club teams meet, helped in large by the number of foreign players in Elitserien and SM-liiga teams. Juniors are just meh. Though most of IFK's games on junior level can get physical due to the clubs' "brand".

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:09 AM
icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Feel free to read it yourself, all of two posts relating to this tournament: http://keskustelu.jatkoaika.com/showthread.php?t=52866

While Finns and Swedes "don't get along" in national teams contests, there's very little rivalry when club teams meet, helped in large by the number of foreign players in Elitserien and SM-liiga teams. Juniors are just meh. Though most of IFK's games on junior level can get physical due to the clubs' "brand".
Well, there's no history between Swedish and Finish domestic teams so no rivalries has ever developed. But then again, the Swedish-Finish hockey rivalry still exist and there could easily become a domestic team rivalry too. Maybe not between specific teams (that takes time) but on a national pride level, to begin with.

Just look at the SEL is better than the FEL (and vice verse) discussion. Just make sure the games mean something more than "exhibition game deluxe" (ET) and make it recurring. I think that will catch a spark without difficulty, at least among the fans that cares the most.

icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 01:14 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
High end competitive hockey in the US is really limited to a few States - Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and a few of the smaller border states (e.g, North Dakota). In Minnesota, where hockey programs are among the largest in the US, the focus of youth hockey is high school teams, who have strict rules limiting the months of the year when they are allowed to participate. There has been expansion of participation in the Southern States where kids have to rely on indoor ice to learn to skate, but that expansion is not producing many top quality players. The vast bulk of the best American players come from those core States.
lol wut.... you really think American players only learn the game outdoors? a lot of the "core states" you named don't even get frozen ponds to play on anymore with the warmer climate these days.

I grew up in the north and only ever played outdoors ONCE in my entire life. Just like all the other kids, I learned the game and played the game indoors.

Your point about no talent coming from the south has already been disproven multiple times in this thread so I won't bother.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
lol wut.... you really think American players only learn the game outdoors? a lot of the "core states" you named don't even get frozen ponds to play on anymore with the warmer climate these days.

I grew up in the north and only ever played outdoors ONCE in my entire life. Just like all the other kids, I learned the game and played the game indoors.

Your point about no talent coming from the south has already been disproven multiple times in this thread so I won't bother.
At no point did I ever say anything resembling what you have said. I never said that there was "no" talent coming out of the south. What I did say is that there very few players coming out of the South, and the prospects of a significant increase were slim. I think the facts support my statements, but if you can rebut my assertions with facts, please try to do so. But please don't say "there was this one guy who got drafted by an NHL team," or, "there is another guy who might get drafted by the NHL." Talk about the number of guys skating a regular shift in the NHL or AHL who learned to play hockey south of the Mason-Dixon line. You probably can't, because there probably aren't.

As for outdoor ice, it isn't an absolute prerequisite to learn to skate and play hockey outdoors, but I'll bet there are very few regulars in the NHL or KHL who could say "I never tried skating outdoors before, I wonder what that's like?" Skating and playing hockey require repetition to get good, and its hard to get ice time on indoor rinks in places like Dallas where there is a lot of competition from general skaters, figure skaters, etc. Also, a lot of kids can't afford expensive hockey equipment and all the fees that go toward renting ice time and travelling to other cities to find good competition. Bottom line, it is no accident that most of the world's best hockey players come from places like Canada, Russia, Sweden, and the northern border states of the U.S. where outdoor ice is readily available to learn to play the game.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

News about Junior Club World Cup 2013

- host city is again Omsk
- date 24 - 31 August
- only 8 clubs participate (no NT of Norway/Denmark)
- CAN (CHL team), USA (finalist USHL), Sweden/Finland/MHL=Russia (champion) + Czech, Latvia, Belarus
- Efimov said nothing about teams from Czech, Latvia, Belarus but I woudl say they will be the same like last year, so MHL clubs: Energie Karlovy Vary, HK Riga, Dinamo Shinnik

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:11 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I think the facts support my statements, but if you can rebut my assertions with facts, please try to do so. But please don't say "there was this one guy who got drafted by an NHL team," or, "there is another guy who might get drafted by the NHL." Talk about the number of guys skating a regular shift in the NHL or AHL who learned to play hockey south of the Mason-Dixon line. You probably can't, because there probably aren't.
Of course there aren't. Hockey has only existed south of the Mason-Dixon line for 20 years tops, except for LA. That is why we are only now beginning to see the first players get drafted. How on earth do you expect there to be hockey players before there is actual hockey?

Quote:
Bottom line, it is no accident that most of the world's best hockey players come from places like Canada, Russia, Sweden, and the northern border states of the U.S. where outdoor ice is readily available to learn to play the game.
Of course not, because those places have a hundred years if not more worth of history with the game. Why you think somewhere that was only fairly recently introduced to the sport should be producing just as many NHLers as the traditional areas is beyond my comprehension.

I do agree that there is a shortage of available ice time in the south, but building more rinks is part of the development of the game in areas where the sport is new.

Outdoor ice is not as important as you think. As I said, I grew up playing in the north and only once did I ever play outdoors. My life revolved around hockey, all my friends played hockey, and none of us ever played outdoors. Even the players that went professional from my area didn't play outdoors, except maybe rarely. Outdoor hockey has absolutely nothing to do with the development of talent. If anything it hinders it, as natural ice is usually terrible and doesn't help your skating or puck-handling development much at all.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote