HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The Thread About Nothing Part 179: Cash or Credit?

Closed Thread

Old
08-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Henry Killinger

vCash: 500
I have cut debt almost completely out of my life.
I have 0 credit cards. I use a debit card for most anything.
I will use cash whenever I happen to have it on me.
Both cars are paid for. No loans.
Only payment I have is mortgage.
It's kind of ridiculous the amount of debt a typical American will go into on crap they do not need.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:20 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Is it cash or credit if i called Money Mutual and demanded $1000 in my checking by tomorrow?

Old
08-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Henry Killinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
Is it cash or credit if i called Money Mutual and demanded $1000 in my checking by tomorrow?
You ever see the interest rate on that?
It's insanity is what it is.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:27 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

hi

i'm Montell Williams

Old
08-29-2012, 03:31 PM
JimEIV

I have almost zero debt. My mortgage which only has 5 years remaining is it....no car payments, no credit card debt (I pay my cc in full every month) nothing.

I like it that way. I don't buy anything I can't afford...actually, I don't really buy much of anything and spend nearly 100% of my after savings disposable income on food and vacations....that is what makes me most happy.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Henry Killinger

Straight form their website:
Why does Montel Williams endorse MoneyMutual?
Celebrated talk show host and Daytime Emmy Award winner Montel Williams associates himself only with products that help people live better physically, spiritually, financially and emotionally. He understands that people will find themselves with difficult to pay expenses due to lack of funds or credit and agrees that a cash advance can provide the needed quick assistance and help avoid more costly fees.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Henry Killinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovyLove View Post
I have almost zero debt. My mortgage which only has 5 years remaining is it....no car payments, no credit card debt (I pay my cc in full every month) nothing.

I like it that way. I don't buy anything I can't afford...actually, I don't really buy much of anything and spend nearly 100% of my after savings disposable income on food and vacations....that is what makes me most happy.
I like the way you think.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:55 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Killinger View Post
I like the way you think.
It has always been important to me to have flexibility in my situation...I don't want to be tied or dependant on anything if I can help it. I have an emergency fund and a "Walk Away" fund.

The emergency fund is live on for 6 months should anything happen and the "Walk Away" fund which isn't quite mature yet, is for the day I decide to tell everyone and everything to go **** themselves.

That day is coming soon.

Old
08-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Obama is doing an "Ask Me Anything" on ****** right now:

http://www.***********/r/IAmA/comment...united_states/

But it seems to have caused too much traffic for the site to handle.
Once I heard he was doing an AMA my first thought was how quickly the site was going to go down. Haven't seen ****** go down in a while actually, but not surprised in the slightest that an AMA of this caliber would do it. I really look forward to reading this one over. Might have to check it hours from now when the site should be able to handle the traffic again.

Old
08-29-2012, 04:06 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 1050
Obama broke ****** lol

Old
08-29-2012, 04:07 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovyLove View Post
It has always been important to me to have flexibility in my situation...I don't want to be tied or dependant on anything if I can help it. I have an emergency fund and a "Walk Away" fund.

The emergency fund is live on for 6 months should anything happen and the "Walk Away" fund which isn't quite mature yet, is for the day I decide to tell everyone and everything to go **** themselves.

That day is coming soon.

I'm actually considering getting a credit card soon to pay things off and then paying off the credit card twice a month to make sure nothing slips through the cracks. Should be good for the credit methinks.

Old
08-29-2012, 04:11 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Once I heard he was doing an AMA my first thought was how quickly the site was going to go down. Haven't seen ****** go down in a while actually, but not surprised in the slightest that an AMA of this caliber would do it. I really look forward to reading this one over. Might have to check it hours from now when the site should be able to handle the traffic again.
Don't let Rush Limbaugh hear about this, he's already blamed Obama for the hurricane.

Old
08-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Don't let Rush Limbaugh hear about this, he's already blamed Obama for the hurricane.
This just reminded me that when ****** is back up later today I should check out r/conspiracy and see if anyone thinks Obama deliberately did an AMA to bring down ****** as a means of censoring and/or supporting a closed internet to take away our freedoms (or whatever the nonsense rationale could be). That could be an entertaining read.

Old
08-29-2012, 04:19 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Killinger View Post
You ever see the interest rate on that?
It's insanity is what it is.
Isnt it something asinine like 25%?

Old
08-29-2012, 04:19 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

I use my debit card/cash for everything since I refuse to have anymore credit cards and debt. If I can't afford I don't buy it unless I need it or I know I can pay it off quickly.

I wouldn't have debt if it wasn't for college. I only have one credit card that I manged very well until stupid me let family use it. I just felt bad for my aunt with two kids trying to get by so I paid her taxes for her and she agreed to pay back. However, she hasn't been able to pay anything back in a coulpe of months but I do know she feels bad about not paying me back like she was before.

Edit: It sucked to because I would have paid it off this year. However, it took me right back up to the limit. So glad my limit isn't that high.

Last edited by BrodeurRULES: 08-29-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old
08-29-2012, 04:24 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Thankfully my parents saved for me and I didn't have to pay a dime for college. In turn I wont have to pay anything back and will be able to hopefully do the same for my kids. A good cycle to be on.

Old
08-29-2012, 04:30 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
This just reminded me that when ****** is back up later today I should check out r/conspiracy and see if anyone thinks Obama deliberately did an AMA to bring down ****** as a means of censoring and/or supporting a closed internet to take away our freedoms (or whatever the nonsense rationale could be). That could be an entertaining read.
He's done with the AMA, and ****** is still down. You can find a transcript of all of his answers to the AMA here:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=364421

He doesn't say all that much, here are a few.

Q: What are you going to do to end the corrupting influence of money in politics during your second term?

PresidentObama: Money has always been a factor in politics, but we are seeing something new in the no-holds barred flow of seven and eight figure checks, most undisclosed, into super-PACs; they fundamentally threaten to overwhelm the political process over the long run and drown out the voices of ordinary citizens. We need to start with passing the Disclose Act that is already written and been sponsored in Congress - to at least force disclosure of who is giving to who. We should also pass legislation prohibiting the bundling of campaign contributions from lobbyists. Over the longer term, I think we need to seriously consider mobilizing a constitutional amendment process to overturn Citizens United (assuming the Supreme Court doesn't revisit it). Even if the amendment process falls short, it can shine a spotlight of the super-PAC phenomenon and help apply pressure for change.

----------

Q: What's the recipe for the White House's beer?

PresidentObama: It will be out soon! I can tell from first hand experience, it is tasty.

(sidenote, I am pumped to find out the beer recipe)

----------

Q:How do you balance family life and hobbies with, well, being the POTUS?

PresidentObama: It's hard - truthfully the main thing other than work is just making sure that I'm spending enough time with michelle and the girls. The big advantage I have is that I live above the store - so I have no commute! So we make sure that when I'm in DC I never miss dinner with them at 6:30 pm - even if I have to go back down to the Oval for work later in the evening. I do work out every morning as well, and try to get a basketball or golf game in on the weekends just to get out of the bubble. Speaking of balance, though, I need to get going so I'm back in DC in time for dinner. But I want to thank everybody at ****** for participating - this is an example of how technology and the internet can empower the sorts of conversations that strengthen our democracy over the long run. AND REMEMBER TO VOTE IN NOVEMBER - if you need to know how to register, go to Gottaregister.com. By the way, if you want to know what I think about this whole ****** experience - NOT BAD!

Old
08-29-2012, 04:43 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Not a big fan of Obama, but he probably really is a cool dude.

Old
08-29-2012, 04:46 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
Thankfully my parents saved for me and I didn't have to pay a dime for college. In turn I wont have to pay anything back and will be able to hopefully do the same for my kids. A good cycle to be on.

I am thinking thats what my grandpa did but no one can get anything till he is gone. I remember hearing something about how he has a saving account for my parent so they get all the money back that they paid on a mortage. I guess he feels its better for us to learn ourselves and get it back in the end. However. I have no ideal if its true or not but my dads parents do have money just really cheap.

Last edited by BrodeurRULES: 08-29-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old
08-29-2012, 04:50 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Is he Czech? Cause that's how my mom's dad was.

Old
08-29-2012, 04:59 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
Is he Czech? Cause that's how my mom's dad was.
Nope he is German!

Old
08-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Scott04

Quote:
He's done with the AMA, and ****** is still down. You can find a transcript of all of his answers to the AMA here:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=364421

He doesn't say all that much, here are a few.

Q: What are you going to do to end the corrupting influence of money in politics during your second term?

PresidentObama: Money has always been a factor in politics, but we are seeing something new in the no-holds barred flow of seven and eight figure checks, most undisclosed, into super-PACs; they fundamentally threaten to overwhelm the political process over the long run and drown out the voices of ordinary citizens. We need to start with passing the Disclose Act that is already written and been sponsored in Congress - to at least force disclosure of who is giving to who. We should also pass legislation prohibiting the bundling of campaign contributions from lobbyists. Over the longer term, I think we need to seriously consider mobilizing a constitutional amendment process to overturn Citizens United (assuming the Supreme Court doesn't revisit it). Even if the amendment process falls short, it can shine a spotlight of the super-PAC phenomenon and help apply pressure for change.

----------

Q: What's the recipe for the White House's beer?

PresidentObama: It will be out soon! I can tell from first hand experience, it is tasty.

(sidenote, I am pumped to find out the beer recipe)

----------

Q:How do you balance family life and hobbies with, well, being the POTUS?

PresidentObama: It's hard - truthfully the main thing other than work is just making sure that I'm spending enough time with michelle and the girls. The big advantage I have is that I live above the store - so I have no commute! So we make sure that when I'm in DC I never miss dinner with them at 6:30 pm - even if I have to go back down to the Oval for work later in the evening. I do work out every morning as well, and try to get a basketball or golf game in on the weekends just to get out of the bubble. Speaking of balance, though, I need to get going so I'm back in DC in time for dinner. But I want to thank everybody at ****** for participating - this is an example of how technology and the internet can empower the sorts of conversations that strengthen our democracy over the long run. AND REMEMBER TO VOTE IN NOVEMBER - if you need to know how to register, go to Gottaregister.com. By the way, if you want to know what I think about this whole ****** experience - NOT BAD!

Rather intrigued for the beer recipe. Playing into the "not bad" meme is flat out awesome though. I love it when celebrities do an AMA and embrace any memes involving them.

I understand the ridiculous volume of questions he received, so I expected a very low percentage of replies. I really wish he had responded to more than 7 or 8 questions though. Even if they weren't important or notable questions, I would have liked to see more of a response. I remember glancing through the top 50 comments at one point (site was a mess so I couldn't load anything more) and one of the questions was "favorite kind of cheese?" I enjoy seeing the nonsense questions answered as much as the insightful ones. Hoping the site going down was a main reason behind the limited responses, but it is what it is. At least there was a decent effort on the actual responses given.

Old
08-29-2012, 06:18 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Not Bad lol such a perfect way to end it

Old
08-29-2012, 08:15 PM
VaxjoDevil

So, turns out my wife's ankle is broken. Awesome.

Old
08-29-2012, 08:20 PM
jjp24Devils
Captain Sal

First day of college classes tomorrow, I'm pretty excited.

Closed Thread