HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings sign Carlo Colaiacovo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-28-2012, 04:20 PM
  #176
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,470
vCash: 500


Congratulations Captain Bob and co, you've managed to turn a Carlo Colaiacovo thread into one about

-Was Brett Lebda useful or not?
-Was Andreas Lilja useful, not useful, or just sheltered?
-What is the definition of an argument about semantics?

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:06 PM
  #177
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
-What is the definition of an argument about semantics?
This.

/thread

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:23 PM
  #178
Booyah!
Registered User
 
Booyah!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
The mere fact that a St Louis Blue cast off is debating on whether to sign here or not is the definition of a disasterous off season. 3yrs ago, this guy would have been a TC invite.

Booyah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:38 PM
  #179
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah! View Post
The mere fact that a St Louis Blue cast off is debating on whether to sign here or not is the definition of a disasterous off season. 3yrs ago, this guy would have been a TC invite.
... with no chance of making the team.

I had to finish your thought there. CC wouldn't have come close to getting a Wings contract a few years ago. These are lean times.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 03:19 PM
  #180
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
... with no chance of making the team.

I had to finish your thought there. CC wouldn't have come close to getting a Wings contract a few years ago. These are lean times.
CC is about equal to Brent Sopel (age-adjusted), and has been for much of their respective careers. Sopel was invited to training camp before the 07-08 season (he was 30 going into the season, turned 31 that year) and signed with Chicago during camp. He became part of Chicago's top-four by the time they won the Cup - he was 33 at the end of that season. Sopel's birthday is Jan 7th, Colaiacovo is Jan 27th. Sopel is 6 years older. So projecting based on past achievements and similar developmental arcs, Colaiacovo should be at the level where he's a top-four defenseman on a Cup team in three seasons.

And as for "a few years ago" are we talking about the "now" Colaiacovo or the "then" Colaiacovo? I'm pretty sure a guy who hasn't scored fewer than 26 points in his NHL career in a "full" season and has been considered a solid defensive defenseman even since his days in junior would have gotten a contract, even if it were a two-way the team tried to send him down. At no point in his career has Colaiacovo not been worth signing to a contract as at least a 7th defenseman or an emergency call-up.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:55 PM
  #181
Huge Jackman
Really, I'm fine....
 
Huge Jackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Royal Oak
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
From M-Live:

The Red Wings made a two-year offer to Carlo Colaiacovo worth about $2.5 million a season. They also have expressed interest in Michal Rozsival, Brett Clark and Mark Eaton.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....emplating.html

Huge Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:28 AM
  #182
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post


Congratulations Captain Bob and co, you've managed to turn a Carlo Colaiacovo thread into one about

-Was Brett Lebda useful or not?
-Was Andreas Lilja useful, not useful, or just sheltered?
-What is the definition of an argument about semantics?
I have? I mentioned Lebda maybe once in response to someone else. Did I bring up Lilja? I don't think so.
Did I bring up semantics? Nope. Heaton did.

Congrats JmanWingsFan, you've once again posted horsecrap.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:42 AM
  #183
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
yeah because 'pretty good' and 'OK' are the same opposite ends of spectrum as 'good' and 'bad'. Crystal clear indeed.
Your memory fails.

HEATON SAYS: People forget how good Lilja in 06'-'07, all they remember is the Selanne goal.
Captain Bob Says: I think this idea that Lilja was really good is silly. (not directly in response to you)
Heaton Says: No it isn't. During that run to the Conference Finals Lilja was really good. (In direct response to my comment above)

So the difference isn't between "pretty good" and OK.

It's you defending the notion that Lilja was "REALLY GOOD"

Crystal Clear now?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:53 AM
  #184
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,126
vCash: 500
I brought up Lebda, and I did that simply because I believe it is a vintage KH move. GR has four D from last season not returning and the Wings have two, and as of yet there have been NO ADDITIONS at either level. So even if we sign CC or trade for JBo, I think Holland will pursue the unsigned Lebda.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:54 AM
  #185
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I have? I mentioned Lebda maybe once in response to someone else. Did I bring up Lilja? I don't think so.
Did I bring up semantics? Nope. Heaton did.

Congrats JmanWingsFan, you've once again posted horsecrap.
Oh, Hi there mister strawman, didn't see ya there. You definitely mentioned Lebda more than once. I checked. You contributed a decent amount of material to the Lilja debate, and you got mixed up in the semantics debate. Oh, the more important detail you missed, I DIDN'T BLAME YOU FOR STARTING ANYTHING. Your name happens to show up with "co" because If i had a penny for every debate you either start or take place in on the opposite side of the majority opinion, I'd make Steve Jobs look like a poor man.

My posts may be crap, but at least crap is substance. That's something a good majority of your posts lack.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:47 PM
  #186
Eternal Sunshine
 
Eternal Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 25,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Ice View Post
From M-Live:

The Red Wings made a two-year offer to Carlo Colaiacovo worth about $2.5 million a season. They also have expressed interest in Michal Rozsival, Brett Clark and Mark Eaton.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....emplating.html
Sign all 3. Rozsi makes the team, Carlo is 7th D. Clark and Eaton are primary call-ups. Trade Kindl/Quincey/whoever in a package with one (or more) of our various bottom 6 forwards for an upgrade on D.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:55 PM
  #187
RomersWorld*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
CC is about equal to Brent Sopel (age-adjusted), and has been for much of their respective careers. Sopel was invited to training camp before the 07-08 season (he was 30 going into the season, turned 31 that year) and signed with Chicago during camp. He became part of Chicago's top-four by the time they won the Cup - he was 33 at the end of that season. Sopel's birthday is Jan 7th, Colaiacovo is Jan 27th. Sopel is 6 years older. So projecting based on past achievements and similar developmental arcs, Colaiacovo should be at the level where he's a top-four defenseman on a Cup team in three seasons.
Sopel was the #5 defenseman for Chicago and that was by default...competing against crap defenseman like Jordan Hendry and Nick Boynton. He would've been the #6 defenseman if Kim Johnsson was healthy but he missed the entire playoffs with a concussion. He was okay on the PK but was one of the Hawks' whipping boys throughout the year.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:20 PM
  #188
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 9,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Sign all 3. Rozsi makes the team, Carlo is 7th D. Clark and Eaton are primary call-ups. Trade Kindl/Quincey/whoever in a package with one (or more) of our various bottom 6 forwards for an upgrade on D.

I'm sure Clark and Eaton will accept AHL contracts....

I'd be ok with any of them being signed, but they'll have to fight Kindl for the #6. None of them will accept an AHL contract at this point.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:33 PM
  #189
Huge Jackman
Really, I'm fine....
 
Huge Jackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Royal Oak
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Apparently, CC wants three years... good luck with that...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...year-contract/

Huge Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:58 PM
  #190
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,851
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Ice View Post
Apparently, CC wants three years... good luck with that...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...year-contract/
Also noticed that it said the Wings offer was reportedly one year and not two. I like that a bit more than multiple years.

__________________
RIP David
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.