HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What can Jets fans expect out of Jokinen?

Old
08-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Xelstyle

vCash: 500
Does a little bit of everything "alright" on average minus faceoffs unless he gets going. At which point you'll be glad you've signed him.

And of course there are his lows that everybody has mentioned. Post....post...post....some skating maybe...post.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:48 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 50
I'm excited to see Olli with the Jets next year, I think he'll do well with that team.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 06:04 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
A 1B center, good at both ends of the ice capable of 60 points, more likely 50.

Flames were fools to let him walk.
Hudler > Jokinen.

Jokinen may have the size advantage, but Hudler has the advantage in almost every other area.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Signature
Robin Williams RIP

Hudler isn't a centre, so that makes him a worthless comparison. Jokinen's replacement is Cervenka, who is a complete and utter unknown in the dressing room and on NHL ice.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:39 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Hudler > Jokinen.

Jokinen may have the size advantage, but Hudler has the advantage in almost every other area.
Jokinen is better on D. He can take face offs and had more points than Hudler. In what way is Hudler better?

Also our biggest need is top 6 centers, we already had enough wingers.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:12 PM
pdd

Quote:
Jokinen is better on D.
False. Hudler is quite capable defensively. The only reason you hear Wings fans ***** and moan about his defense is because they're comparing him to Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Yzerman, Fedorov, Draper, etc. and expecting the same.

Quote:
He can take face offs and had more points than Hudler. In what way is Hudler better?

Also our biggest need is top 6 centers, we already had enough wingers.
Hudler sees the ice better, is a better passer, and has a much better shot. He's also a much harder worker and a grittier player despite the size difference.

I don't disagree that Cervenka is the "lineup" replacement for Jokinen. But judging based on what happened on July 1-2, it seems pretty clear that both Jokinen and Hudler would have preferred to stay where they were. But Holland signed Samuelsson, and was "saving space" for Parise and Suter because he felt that they were about to sign with the Wings. So Hudler was brought to Calgary. Only after that deal did Jokinen sign elsewhere. Both guys could have signed comparable deals to what they got in the first hour or two of free agency, but didn't.

Jokinen is not a Flame because of the Hudler signing; Cervenka would have been on the team either way.

Old
08-29-2012, 08:34 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
False. Hudler is quite capable defensively. The only reason you hear Wings fans ***** and moan about his defense is because they're comparing him to Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Yzerman, Fedorov, Draper, etc. and expecting the same.

Hudler sees the ice better, is a better passer, and has a much better shot. He's also a much harder worker and a grittier player despite the size difference.

I don't disagree that Cervenka is the "lineup" replacement for Jokinen. But judging based on what happened on July 1-2, it seems pretty clear that both Jokinen and Hudler would have preferred to stay where they were. But Holland signed Samuelsson, and was "saving space" for Parise and Suter because he felt that they were about to sign with the Wings. So Hudler was brought to Calgary. Only after that deal did Jokinen sign elsewhere. Both guys could have signed comparable deals to what they got in the first hour or two of free agency, but didn't.

Jokinen is not a Flame because of the Hudler signing; Cervenka would have been on the team either way.
If you honestly think Hudler is better on D then you haven't watched either of them.

If Hudler has a better shot and better pass, then he would have more points then Jokinen plain and simple
He clearly doesn't. The fact you describe Hudler as a gritty player shows you have no clue. There is nothing gritty about Hudlers game.

Old
08-29-2012, 09:37 PM
pdd

Quote:
If you honestly think Hudler is better on D then you haven't watched either of them.

If Hudler has a better shot and better pass, then he would have more points then Jokinen plain and simple
He clearly doesn't. The fact you describe Hudler as a gritty player shows you have no clue. There is nothing gritty about Hudlers game.
I've been watching Hudler since he was a prospect who made the NHL at 19, but was then demoted to allow him time to develop some strength while he dominated the AHL. I've been watching Jokinen since he was traded for Palffy. I think have a pretty good handle on what they're capable of.

I'm not saying Hudler's a 100-point monster, or some kind of super-awesome two-way player. I'm also not saying Jokinen sucks at D. Simply that Hudler is better at it.

As for grit, Hudler busts his ass every shift, digs in the corners, goes to the net, and he will stand up for himself, even if that standing doesn't reach very high.

As for Jokinen having more points, I have a thought or two. Jokinen played about two minutes more than Hudler per game at even strength, with Hudler missing one game and Joker missing none. Hudler had 40 ESP to Jokinen's 37. Jokinen played most of the year centering Iginla and one of Glencross or Tanguay, and played the PP with Iginla and Tanguay. Hudler spent much of the season playing with Filppula and Zetterberg, but played most of his PP time as the point man on the second unit rather than playing up front where he has been proven extremely effective at ES and on the PP. Hudler was 11 points back of Jokinen, but had he played forward he might have scored more than Jokinen. The even-strength numbers certainly bear out that idea.

Old
08-29-2012, 09:48 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Jokinen and Hudler had similiar player charts too. Jokinen played against tougher competition but had more offensive zone starts. Hudler had better corsi.

But anyways, what's done is done and I just hope I get to see what Hudler brings to the team. It will be nice to see our depth down the wing play under a new system. I haven't been this excited for Flames hockey in a very long time.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:46 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
I've been watching Hudler since he was a prospect who made the NHL at 19, but was then demoted to allow him time to develop some strength while he dominated the AHL. I've been watching Jokinen since he was traded for Palffy. I think have a pretty good handle on what they're capable of.

I'm not saying Hudler's a 100-point monster, or some kind of super-awesome two-way player. I'm also not saying Jokinen sucks at D. Simply that Hudler is better at it.

As for grit, Hudler busts his ass every shift, digs in the corners, goes to the net, and he will stand up for himself, even if that standing doesn't reach very high.

As for Jokinen having more points, I have a thought or two. Jokinen played about two minutes more than Hudler per game at even strength, with Hudler missing one game and Joker missing none. Hudler had 40 ESP to Jokinen's 37. Jokinen played most of the year centering Iginla and one of Glencross or Tanguay, and played the PP with Iginla and Tanguay. Hudler spent much of the season playing with Filppula and Zetterberg, but played most of his PP time as the point man on the second unit rather than playing up front where he has been proven extremely effective at ES and on the PP. Hudler was 11 points back of Jokinen, but had he played forward he might have scored more than Jokinen. The even-strength numbers certainly bear out that idea.
That doesn't make a player gritty, it makes them a hard worker. Two different things.

You watching him since he was a prospect would explain your affinity for him though, you are severly under rating Jokinen though is my point. FWIW I do like Hudler.

I am not saying Hudler is a bad addition to the Flames I am saying we needed Jokinen more given our present situation.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:

Stop it. Jokinen is easily the better player. You will hate Hudler. Filppula and Zetterberg took all the defensive responsibilities on that line. Also they made Hudler look better than he really is and even then he didn't look good.

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:24 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

I'd rather have Hudler at his age and price over Jokinen pretty easily. Jokinen has always looked good just because there was no one else on the team. When he peaked in Florida, he was maybe a top 10 in the NHL. But since his last year in Florida, and right until today, he has been "meh."

I'll let Hudler show what he can do before writing him off.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote