HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Top 6 centers who could be in play?

Old
08-29-2012, 07:21 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Top 6 centers who could be in play?

People often don't want to discuss the possibility of top 6 centers leaving their team, but it does happen. In the past year or so we've seen a lot of guys who are either top 6 centers, or who have the potential to become top 6 centers, move teams. Examples include guys like Mike Richards, Brad Richards, Jordan Staal, Jeff Carter, Mike Ribeiro, Derrick Roy, Brayden Schenn, Kyle Turris and Cody Hodgson. I think it's highly likely that more top 6 centers will be moving around in the coming year, but who are the prime candidates to change teams?

I'll get it started with some guys who I think might be available within the next year or so:

- Getzlaf: becomes a UFA next summer, if the Ducks have another poor season he might not want to stay. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the move as a deadline rental and/or in the offseason as a UFA

- One of Thornton/Marleau/Pavelski/Couture: not really a log jam problem since all of these guys except Thornton are very effective on the wing, but if SJ feel they need a shakeup, I could see one being dealt. I don't see any being moved if the Sharks are playing well, but if they're just kind of bumbling along at an 8th seed sort of pace, these guys all have a tonne of value, and any one of them could be a great trade piece for a shakeup

- One of Stastny/Duchene/ROR: not sure if one will actually get dealt, but in general it's been hard for teams to keep 3+ young, talented centers happy on the same team. Every one of these guys could be thinking "I should be a #1." No drama there at the moment, but a situation to watch long term. Maybe they move Duchene to the wing, but that seems like a waste of his talent to me

- Krejci: Seguin played wing last year, and certainly produced, but he's probably the most offensively talented player on the team, how long will the Bruins continue to play him out of position? Bergeron is a terrific #2, Kelly a terrific #3, if the Bruins ever move Seguin to center you have to think he'll be taking Krejci's job. Krejci could return a pretty terrific winger or a pretty terrific dman

- Briere: Giroux/Couturier/Schenn is the future at C in Philly. With that being said, Briere is very capable on the wing, already plays plenty of wing, and he's a huge playoff performer, so he could easily stay. I could see Briere or even Schenn being dealt, though, if the right stud dman was being offered

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Zippy316

Not now, but depending on how the Devils play, Zajac COULD be available. Knowing Lou though, he will likely hold onto him until the end of the season and risk losing him for nothing.

Zippy316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

vCash: 50
All pretty reasonable. I'd also guess:

Valtteri Filppula- Detroit could decide they need a top DMan and if Val continues his excellent play he will be able to fetch one.

Tomas Plekanec- Another guy I wouldn't trade but if MTL continues to struggle next year he might be pawned off for a younger but still established player.

Derick Brassard- If he is passed by Johansen and once again is playing 14 mins a game he will be dealt.

Colin Wilson- Could be swapped in a 'change of scenery' type deal. I love the kid, think he has really great ability.

Nik Antropov- No longer producing and no longer the only big center in the 'Peg. Could use a change of scenery as well.

Patrik Berglund- Could be shopped as part of a package for a top 2 DMan if he doesn't show progression.

Travis Zajac- Highly unlikely, but if the Devils struggle and he doesn't appear to be interested in coming back, Lou could deal him at the deadline to maximize his value. That being said I doubt the Devils struggle and I doubt Zajac leaves. (He's an impending UFA right?)

Obviously a bunch of these guys are reaches, either to be dealt or as top 6ers, but I thought I'd at least put some names into the discussion.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:50 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
All pretty reasonable. I'd also guess:

Valtteri Filppula- Detroit could decide they need a top DMan and if Val continues his excellent play he will be able to fetch one.

Tomas Plekanec- Another guy I wouldn't trade but if MTL continues to struggle next year he might be pawned off for a younger but still established player.

Derick Brassard- If he is passed by Johansen and once again is playing 14 mins a game he will be dealt.

Colin Wilson- Could be swapped in a 'change of scenery' type deal. I love the kid, think he has really great ability.

Nik Antropov- No longer producing and no longer the only big center in the 'Peg. Could use a change of scenery as well.

Patrik Berglund- Could be shopped as part of a package for a top 2 DMan if he doesn't show progression.

Travis Zajac- Highly unlikely, but if the Devils struggle and he doesn't appear to be interested in coming back, Lou could deal him at the deadline to maximize his value. That being said I doubt the Devils struggle and I doubt Zajac leaves. (He's an impending UFA right?)

Obviously a bunch of these guys are reaches, either to be dealt or as top 6ers, but I thought I'd at least put some names into the discussion.
He will not be moved he is the Blues #2 center contrary to popular belief Backes is number 1 Berglund is #2 and then the #3 center spot is questionable who will play there then Nichols is #4.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
He will not be moved he is the Blues #2 center contrary to popular belief Backes is number 1 Berglund is #2 and then the #3 center spot is questionable who will play there then Nichols is #4.
Andy McDonald?
Steen can also play C. I'm not saying it's likely, I just see him as a more likely candidate than most other top 6 C's.

Old
08-29-2012, 07:56 PM
seanlinden

To me, it's almost shocking that all 4 of SJ's centres have managed to stick around as long as they have. With this year's first round exit to the blues, heads should've probably been rolling, instead nothing. I guess for a team like the Sharks, it really comes down to having to find the right move to part with a centre. Maybe they're holding out to get another #2/3 calibre defenceman?

In Boston, I don't think Krejci's departure is all that imminent. Kelly is a good #3 centre, but Bergeron is a GREAT #3 centre. Let's not forget that in Boston they did run with Savard/Krejci/Bergy down the middle with success, and there doesn't seem to be a very strong reason why they couldn't do that with Seguin/Krejci/Bergy for at least next year, any maybe beyond depending on what the cap ends up at and Seguin's 2nd contract.

In Colorado, I think there's more urgency to move a guy, simply because they're not a big budget team that can afford to have a $6.6m centre that isn't their top guy. Stastny seems to be the odd man out, and I guess it'll come down to the specifics of the new CBA and ROR's next contract that determine whether or not it'll be this year or not.

I don't think Briere becomes available until next offseason. There's just not enough experience for Philly to rely on up the middle right now.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:57 PM
pdd

Calgary: Matt Stajan. He's shown in the past, including a short stretch with Iginla last season, that he's definitely capable of playing a top-six role. He has a solid two-way game and is good on faceoffs.

Chicago: Patrick Kane. With the cap expected to drop considerably, they'll likely have to shuffle off one of their big salaries (Toews, Hossa, Kane, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook) and Kane makes the most sense as he has good value from seasons past, but is the most expendable part of the six and also the most expensive.

Also, the following would be amusing:

Vancouver: Henrik Sedin; Daniel Sedin demanded one of them be traded because Henrik slept with Daniel's wife.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:58 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
- Briere: Giroux/Couturier/Schenn is the future at C in Philly. With that being said, Briere is very capable on the wing, already plays plenty of wing, and he's a huge playoff performer, so he could easily stay. I could see Briere or even Schenn being dealt, though, if the right stud dman was being offered
Even if Philly wanted to move him, I doubt he'd wave his NMC to do so due to his family.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:02 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Andy McDonald?
Steen can also play C. I'm not saying it's likely, I just see him as a more likely candidate than most other top 6 C's.
McDonald is a left wing now and has been for most of his time in St Louis. Due to his injury concerns it is doubtful he will ever play center for Hitchcock for an extended period of time. Steen is a much better winger then he is center. He may slot into the #3 slot for us this season though. Neither is an option that makes Berglund expendable.

People look at points for Berglund but his defensive game improved dramatically last season while his offense was a disappointment his season as a whole was pretty good. Berglund doesn't get move unless a better center is coming back in the deal.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:
McDonald is a left wing now and has been for most of his time in St Louis. Due to his injury concerns it is doubtful he will ever play center for Hitchcock for an extended period of time. Steen is a much better winger then he is center. He may slot into the #3 slot for us this season though. Neither is an option that makes Berglund expendable.

People look at points for Berglund but his defensive game improved dramatically last season while his offense was a disappointment his season as a whole was pretty good. Berglund doesn't get move unless a better center is coming back in the deal.
Alright. I like him a lot I just thought he might be able to help fill more of a need. I can see I was wrong.

Old
08-29-2012, 08:11 PM
TurdFerguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Calgary: Matt Stajan. He's shown in the past, including a short stretch with Iginla last season, that he's definitely capable of playing a top-six role. He has a solid two-way game and is good on faceoffs.

Chicago: Patrick Kane. With the cap expected to drop considerably, they'll likely have to shuffle off one of their big salaries (Toews, Hossa, Kane, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook) and Kane makes the most sense as he has good value from seasons past, but is the most expendable part of the six and also the most expensive.

Vancouver: Henrik Sedin; Daniel Sedin demanded one of them be traded because Henrik slept with Daniel's wife.
Chicago's at 60.4, I'd highly doubt they would need to move one of their big salaries. Even if the cap somehow drops to an unlikely 58, they'd move Hammer, Oduya, or Montador.

I find it unlikely, but Weiss could be moved if he doesn't want to resign.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Brody
Brooklyn ✔

vCash: 24591
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post

e4, Burke and Kessel USA connection

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Zippy316

Quote:

Berglund and a first for Zajac.

Zippy316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 250
Bruins are in absolutely no rush for Seguin to move to center. Really, he isn't playing out of position because he's only played C for 3 or 4 games in his career. He did play well there, though, and he's gotten much better defensively, so I'm sure it'll happen eventually. But as of now there's no reason to trade Krejci or rush Seguin to center.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:40 PM
BruceWayne*
Risen

I was originally the person that suggested Berglund for Zajac. Straight up works for me.

People can sprout the "oh, Zajac won't leave, his brother Darcy is in the system." talk. But it's just that. Talk. Parise HAD his brother Jordan in the system. I know that was a few years ago, but he also had the captaincy. Another highly popular reason a ton of players can't be traded, according to a lot of people. Didn't stop Parise from mooking it up to Minnesota.

BruceWayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

People saying Zajac will be strongly disappointed. If he leaves there is only one way, the same way Parise left, UFA. Zajac isn't getting traded.

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Patrick Kane isnt going anywhere.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Spitsfan67*

TO WINNIPEG:
Plekanec

TO MONTRÉAL:
Wellwood
Postma
3d 2013

TO TORONTO:
Getzlaf

TO ANIHIEM:
Kadri
Franson
1st 2013
2nd 2014

TO PHILLY:
Saad
2nd 2013,2014

TO CHICAGO:
Briere

TO SAN JOSE:
Paajarvi
Teubert
Roy
1st 2013

To EDMONTON:
Pavelski
Doherty

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
TO WINNIPEG:
Plekanec

TO MONTRÉAL:
Wellwood
Postma
3d 2013
Not even close to making any sense for the Habs. We have drafted 3 players similar to Postma in the last couple of years: Thrower, Dietz and Ellis.

Wellwood isn't good enough to make the team in a year or two or even fill a need, as we have an overabundance of players similar to him.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:33 AM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
People often don't want to discuss the possibility of top 6 centers leaving their team, but it does happen. In the past year or so we've seen a lot of guys who are either top 6 centers, or who have the potential to become top 6 centers, move teams. Examples include guys like Mike Richards, Brad Richards, Jordan Staal, Jeff Carter, Mike Ribeiro, Derrick Roy, Brayden Schenn, Kyle Turris and Cody Hodgson. I think it's highly likely that more top 6 centers will be moving around in the coming year, but who are the prime candidates to change teams?

I'll get it started with some guys who I think might be available within the next year or so:

- Getzlaf: becomes a UFA next summer, if the Ducks have another poor season he might not want to stay. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the move as a deadline rental and/or in the offseason as a UFA

- One of Thornton/Marleau/Pavelski/Couture: not really a log jam problem since all of these guys except Thornton are very effective on the wing, but if SJ feel they need a shakeup, I could see one being dealt. I don't see any being moved if the Sharks are playing well, but if they're just kind of bumbling along at an 8th seed sort of pace, these guys all have a tonne of value, and any one of them could be a great trade piece for a shakeup

- One of Stastny/Duchene/ROR: not sure if one will actually get dealt, but in general it's been hard for teams to keep 3+ young, talented centers happy on the same team. Every one of these guys could be thinking "I should be a #1." No drama there at the moment, but a situation to watch long term. Maybe they move Duchene to the wing, but that seems like a waste of his talent to me

- Krejci: Seguin played wing last year, and certainly produced, but he's probably the most offensively talented player on the team, how long will the Bruins continue to play him out of position? Bergeron is a terrific #2, Kelly a terrific #3, if the Bruins ever move Seguin to center you have to think he'll be taking Krejci's job. Krejci could return a pretty terrific winger or a pretty terrific dman

I've said it before, I'd love for Buffalo to help Philly with their defense problem to reacquire Danny B. Brennen, etc.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 02:02 AM
Badger25

If Burglund goes to the leafs, give him #13.

Badger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:06 AM
Paralyzer008

I still think Colorado will eventually move Stastny, as much as Avs fans hate people who say that.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 04:30 AM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
TO SAN JOSE:
Paajarvi
Teubert
Roy
1st 2013

To EDMONTON:
Pavelski
Doherty
That's just awful for Edmonton. no ty

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 05:53 AM
jonlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
That's just awful for Edmonton. no ty
What?

Pavelski is the best player in the deal!

Pääjärvi could be a 3rd liner or career AHLer, Teubert is what? Roy is a young goalie who has a slim chance to become a future NHL-goalie. The only thing with real value from Edmonton in 2013 1st! I`d easily pull the thrigger if I`m Edmonton!

Edmontons thrash for a good player and u say NO?

jonlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:52 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
What?

Pavelski is the best player in the deal!

Pääjärvi could be a 3rd liner or career AHLer, Teubert is what? Roy is a young goalie who has a slim chance to become a future NHL-goalie. The only thing with real value from Edmonton in 2013 1st! I`d easily pull the thrigger if I`m Edmonton!

Edmontons thrash for a good player and u say NO?
Have to agree, I think San Jose would be the team against this one, not the Oilers.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote