HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Expectations

Old
08-24-2012, 01:42 AM
HawkeyLife07

vCash: 500
Expectations

In the case (no, not of Viktor Stalberg) that there is a season this year, which there better be, this list consists of every Chicago Blackhawk likely to suit up for a fair chunk of games next year. I will list what I expect from them (most reasonable, while optimistic), what I'd be happy with (less reasonable but still possible), and disappointed with (a realistic potential drop-off).

Here we go:

The captain Jonathan Toews:

I expect you to not change a thing about your game, or to lose any of your intensity and love for the game/winning. I expect you to be top 10 in faceoffs and if healthy, put up 70 points. Anything more is a bonus because you bring so much in every aspect to this game, and to this team.

I'd be more than happy if you continued like you did at the start of last year, being in the race for the Hart, and being a PPG player.

I'd be disappointed if... Well, you've never disappointed us, don't think it's right to even try to imagine a scenario where you would.

--
The drunk, lazy and one dimensional lightweight, Pat Kane:

I expect you to hit 70+ points.
The 88 point season was a real treat, but not the norm so far in your career. I expect you to bring something every night, no matter where Coach Q puts you, and be cocky out there.

I'd be more than happy if you took the 2nd line centre role and ran with it by improving your faceoffs and defensive play. The same for Tazer, a PPG would suffice just fine.

I'd be disappointed
if your point total was the same as, or less than last season.

--

The guy Raffi Torres wishes he was; Marian Hossa:

I expect you to be a bit snake bitten due to what happened to you last postseason. Regardless, I expect you to be strong on the puck and in your own end, even if your point totals don't hit where they did last year. You are getting older but you can still be the best on whatever line you are on and make those around you better (Stalberg, Saad).

I'd be more than happy if you come out of the gates hot, without noticing a difference from last year to this year.

I'd be disappointed if Raffi Torres is the reason your career declines at a faster rate than you, and all hawk/hockey fans wished it would. But it won't be your fault.

--

The beautiful Pat Sharp:

I expect you to hit 30 goals again this year, with 60+ points, and I expect you to always be a shorthanded goal threat on the penalty kill.

I'd be more than happy if you reached 35+ goals. Simple as that, since you are a pure goal scorer.

I'd be disappointed if you had 25 goals or less next season.

--

The "rat", Dave Bolland:

I expect you to make our 3rd line a solid one, regardless of who is on it, since that's all you've done ever since being given that spot. Come playoff time, I expect you to make a few people cry and a few Hawk fans laugh at the expense of the other team's top centreman.

I'd be more than happy
if maybe due to injury, you took the #2 centre role for a bit and put up some points like you did in junior. Would also be more than happy if you play 70+ games.

I'd be disappointed
if the fire and nastiness you always bring diminishes and you play scared because of your injury history.

--

My avatar cover boy, Viktor Stalberg:

I expect you to use your speed to create opportunities and catch the other team's off guard. Point wise, I expect you to get at least 35.

I'd be more than happy
if you got the same point total as last year (43) or used the most of the powerplay time you're very likely to have this year and reach 50 points.

I'd be disappointed
if you drop below 35 points, take dumb penalties and turn the puck over as much as the man we traded to get you.

--

The "spirit" of the Blackhawks, Brandon Saad:

I expect you to reach 30 points, and to not stand out in a bad way in the top six. I do not expect you to come in and walk away with the Calder and #2 LW spot.

I would be more than happy
, even if you did get those 30 points. Anything more than 40 and I, as well as the entire community, will be happy to have you for years to come.

I would be disappointed if you don't give it your all out there, and try to play like you've already earned something in this league. Fight for it, and don't give Q a reason to send you back down.

--

The twitter sensation, Andrew Shaw:

I expect you to be our "spark plug". Yes people may say you could get hurt, but keep playing bigger than your size. A guy who's willing to do anything is exactly what this team needs. I expect 30 points out of you.

I'd be more than happy
if you continued your point per game pace from last year and become a valid second line option if Saad isn't ready for it.

I'd be disappointed
, like Bolland, if you lose your fire, and like Sadd if you feel like you've earned something.

--

One of our top hitters, if he wants to be, Bryan Bickell:

I expect you to use your size this year and to keep moving your feet and agitating people in the bottom six. I expect at least 13 goals out of you.

I'd be more than happy if you did those things, since you only seem to do them now and again. Do it for a full season and I'm a happy camper.

I'd be disappointed if you do the opposite of everything I just said. Contract year Bryan.. How bad do you want it?

--

"That other Swede" Marcus Kruger:

I expect you to keep playing well in every aspect of the game without one stand out attribute or skill set. Have minimal mistakes, and be a solid penalty killer for this squad. 20-25 points.

I'd be more than happy if you develop a "stand out" part of your game. You seem very average at everything with no major flaws or skills. Gain one of those, even if it's faceoffs, and keep improving on it as well as everything else.

I'd be disappointed if you really, really suck because my expectations aren't too high for you.

--

A pleasant surprise from last year, Jamal Mayers:

I expect you to play when you're needed, and not necessarily be a lock night in and night out due to your age. Although when you do play, I want that toughness, willingness to stand up for your team and solid forecheck to continue.

4th liner, more than happy if you pot 5+ goals.

Disappointed if your play severely decreases, but it will be due to age most likely so nothing against you.

--

Dan Carcillo:

I expect you to learn from last year, and play smarter, while still playing hard.

I'd be more than happy if you don't look out of place on the second line if need be.

I'd be disappointed if you play stupid and get yourself hurt or suspended again.

--

Michael Frolik:

Since your stay with the Hawks, you have not been able to score goals or help offensively. But you try very hard and play alright defensively, so if you do get the call, keep doing that and eventually maybe luck will turn your way.

I'd be more than happy
if somehow your point totals equaled what you did in Florida and your total play equal what you do in the postseason.

I'd be disappointed if you continue this path of regression.

--

Jimmy Hayes:

I expect you
to play at least 25 games this year and to play at least near what you did last year.

I'd be more than happy
if your play mirrored what you did in your first call-up and you stay in the line-up being a solid contributor.

I'd be disappointed if like the rest of the young guys, play lazy and undetermined.

--

Duncan Keith (I'm tired of the nicknames):

I expect you to get rid of your Darren Roanoake (Love Guru) like shaky hands. Settle down, take your time and improve from last year. I expect 45 points from you this year.

I'd be more than happy
if you netted 50+ points and once again considered for the Norris trophy at some point in the year.

I'd be disappointed if you keep playing scared and get less than 40 points.

--

Brent Seabrook:

I expect you to be our most solid d-man once again. Doing all the little things right, like the occasional big hit, nice shots from the point and breaking up odd-man rushes.

I'd be more than happy
if your point total passes 40.

I'd be disappointed if
you decline and play lazy, with less than 30 points.

--

Nick Leddy

I expect you
to progress, progress, progress. If you have added some muscle mass then I hope you play a tad more psychical. I believe you can get 40+ points and help out our powerplay this year.

I'd be more than happy
if you got 45+ points, and solidify yourself as a great young player rather than one that the jury is still out on.

I'd be disappointed
if your defensive mistakes get worse, and you become a liability. If your points are lower than 30 then it will be troublesome.

--

Niklas Hjalmarsson:

I expect you to be the 3rd best defenseman behind Keith and Seabrook by using your body more, continuing to block shots and improve your breakout passing. 15+ points.

I'd be more than happy
if you become more psychical than we've seen and also establish an offensive game, that of over 20 points with a nice shot from the blue line.

I'd be disappointed
if your bad habits take over your game. These include: chucking the puck off the boards in panic, failing to clear the crease and leading in with your stick a bit too much.

--

Johnny Oduya:

I'll make this simple.. I expect you to play somewhere in between the level of play you had when you joined at deadline and when we played 6 games vs. the Coyotes.

I'd be more than happy
if you continue to play like you did when you first joined at the deadline.

I'd be disappointed if you play like you did in the playoffs.

--

Steve Montador:

I expect you, like Marian Hossa, to go through rough patches due to your concussion. I don't expect you to live up to your contract because that is an unfair expectation. Just don't be a liability and try to prove to Q that you can be an option for the PK in the games that you play.

I'd be more than happy
if you solidified yourself as a solid 5/6, with no signs of injury. If you drop the mitts once in a while, and even help out the offense like you did in the time you were on the PP, we can all declare you had a great season for what we ask of you.

I'd be disappointed
if you don't know your role and try to make too much happen out there. I'd also be disappointed if this injury gets the best of you.

--

Sheldon Brookbank:

I expect you to play at least 40 games and to help our PK. Points with you, do not matter.

I'd be more than happy
if you gave Q a reason to make the the for-sure #6 by playing physical and responsible.

I'd be disappointed
if Stan screwed up another offseason signing.

--

Corey Crawford:

Like Oduya, I'll make it simple. I expect you to play not as great as you did in 10/11 but not as bad as you did in 11/12.

I'd be more than happy if you play like you did in 10/11.

I'd be disappointed if you play like you did in 11/12.

--

Ray Emery:

I expect you to be a steady backup like you have. I do not expect you to steal the show and pass Corey on the depth chart,

I would be more than happy, if Corey gets injured, you come in and make sure our team doesn't falter due to the change in net.

I would be disappointed if your save percentage dropped below .900.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago Blackhawks:

I expect you to finish in the top 2 of the Central and the top 6 of the West. I expect at least one more round of playoffs than we've gotten in the past two years.

I'd be more than happy if.... Guess.

I'd be disappointed
if we fail to win a playoff series, or even make the playoffs to begin with.

HawkeyLife07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:06 AM
TurdFerguson

I'm more likely to call a guy lazy when he has a significant drop off in his ES points, Kane faltered in the PP.

And yes, Sharpie is a beautiful man.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:12 AM
HawkeyLife07

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
I'm more likely to call a guy lazy when he has a significant drop off in his ES points, Kane faltered in the PP.

And yes, Sharpie is a beautiful man.
Haha that's why I put it in purple.

Love your name hahaha hilarious

HawkeyLife07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

most of this sounds good to me

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:21 PM
hawksfan50

Crawford won't get back to his form of 2010/11 (.917 save% and 2.30 GAA and 4 SO) unless we get a loot better on the PK and in committing to better team defense in ES -he cannot do it alone...
To "expect" Crawford to get back to the foem of 2 years ago is therefore unrealistic.

IF TOEWS gives us ONLY 70 and a bit points and Kane only gives us 70 points as per the expectation posted starting this thread--then you are not expecting much at all...

IF SAAD gets only 30 points --he shouldn't be up here in the show..

IF the new 192 lb SHAW (maybe he's 200lbs by the time season gets going) only gets 30 points per your expectation then that 3rd line is not going to be much of a threat...SHAW was on a 51 pts a season pace projection over 82 games --so a 20 point resuction off that pace 'expectation' is quite disappointing and if that is all he does (regress) then he could be back in Rockford..

The expectation for STALBERG is that he performs against ther teams like he did against Columbus --BUT if he still only dominates against one club--whether CBJ again against or some other team this year--THAT would be hugely disappointing... he needs consistancy accross all opponents not HOT vs. one team and ice cold against everyone else...

Don't know what to expect from Hossa --he could play scared and never be what he was before the concussion or he could bounce all the way back to his former dangerous scoring machine again,or some mid-level in between the extremes of "lost it" and "greatness" ...

IF Sharp on;ly musters 30 goals as you "expect' --that is regression and his best days are behind im rumours will begin...

Overall, expectation levels for individuals are too low.We must get more from them than this.

I do think you forgot one huge expectation: FOR Q :

Q must not run the ship like the country club it was last year...he cannot let prima donna players get lazy and stop playing for each other...Any more 1 and out games from Kane (one point--usually an assist--and i've done enough for the night attitude starts manifesting) --a repeat of such disinterest will doom the Hawks to another quick exit from the playoffs..

Last edited by hawksfan50: 08-28-2012 at 02:26 PM.
hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

70 Points in the West would have been the 8th best scorer. Having Kane & Toews with 70 Points, Sharp with 60 points and Hossa in the same range, the Hawks would have a Top3 offense in the West again

Old
08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

It's nice to say Shaw was on a 51-point pace, but he had quite few goals go off his body - which likely won't repeat itself again this season. Shaw was a nice story last year and he showed more offensive (in both the AHL and NHL) than I think many expected he would/could.. but he'll never touch 50 points as an NHLer and anyone expecting he could come close to keeping up the scoring pace he showed last year is going to be mightly disappointed.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Cullksinikers

Same result as the last two seasons until we make a new acquisition that could potentially propel us to further in advancement.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:49 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Same result as the last two seasons until we make a new acquisition that could potentially propel us to further in advancement.
You realize Chicago was, literally, a couple inches from advancing in 2011, right? There's more to advancing in the playoffs than the personnel or even the coaches. Match-ups, bounces, luck and obviously talent. The 2010 team, one of the best on paper in recent memory, could have very easily been eliminated from the playoffs in the 1st round if Martin Erat didn't throw the puck out, blindly, to the slot in game 5..

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Cullksinikers

Still won't predict them to make it out of the first-round until they prove they can. Can't wait until my prediction is wrong. Hope it is this year.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:26 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

that's like saying we suck and will miss the POs. Hawks run into a hot goalie and were let down by their own goalie. By the sounds of it, Craw has had some problems last year surrounding him but they also said those problems are over now.... Still wonder what happened

Old
08-29-2012, 08:37 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
If the cap were to go down to 58M, we have got to acquire the guys getting dumped at discount rates. Waive/trade Montador and Frolik to clear more space. This would be our great opportunity to make up for having to dump our own guys.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:12 AM
hawksfan50

But if the cap goes down to $58 million --we'd still have to chop about $3million in contracts ourselves (since we are about $9million undr the old cap of $70.2 million---even if we dumpped $5-6 million in contracts it won't leave much room to sccop up the gems you say would be available by the dumping close to the old cap teams ...DETROIT has far more cap room margin than us to do the bountiful scooping up in that scenario...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

great idea coldsteel... cause we would have to make some room ourself. Dumping Frolik / Hjammer would be needed to get under the Cap

Old
08-29-2012, 03:08 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
great idea coldsteel... cause we would have to make some room ourself. Dumping Frolik / Hjammer would be needed to get under the Cap
Read the post:

If the cap were to go down to 58M, we have got to acquire the guys getting dumped at discount rates. Waive/trade Montador and Frolik to clear more space. This would be our great opportunity to make up for having to dump our own guys.

And it probably will be more like 61-62 when it is all said and done, so there will be a great opportunity if Bowman can admit his failures with Monty and Fro.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

you said 58 million... with 58 million we are over the Cap by 4.5 million. We couldn't dump anybody to ADD to our roster. We would have to dump them to get under the Cap ourself

Old
08-29-2012, 03:19 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
you said 58 million... with 58 million we are over the Cap by 4.5 million. We couldn't dump anybody to ADD to our roster. We would have to dump them to get under the Cap ourself
Well, I was off by a few million but the reality is it will end up higher as the negotiations progress and we will have the opportunity. I admit I don't check capgeek anymore now that we are not in the transaction business anymore. Bowman wouldn't do it anyway so what's the difference.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Bowman would do it if he has the chance, don't kid yourself. Bowman also isn't allowed to fire Q, he would have done it during the 9 game losing streak.

I think the Cap will end up around 64 million +/- 1 million. That would be good for us and most other teams

Old
08-29-2012, 03:28 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Bowman would do it if he has the chance, don't kid yourself. Bowman also isn't allowed to fire Q, he would have done it during the 9 game losing streak.

I think the Cap will end up around 64 million +/- 1 million. That would be good for us and most other teams
Even in that scenario, there will be some teams needing to dump salary. But that scenario also allows us to keep the team as is. So do you think Bowman would dump Monty, Fro and Emery to make way for G Backstrom if he was moved (most logical move for the Wild IMO) or do you think he would just keep the team together as it was last year?

Old
08-29-2012, 03:59 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
So do you think Bowman would dump Monty, Fro and Emery to make way for G Backstrom if he was moved (most logical move for the Wild IMO) or do you think he would just keep the team together as it was last year?
I'd do it in a heartbeat. He'd be a huge upgrade in net and there's no way he's going to be asking $6m per as a 35 year old goaltender next summer. I'd be extremely pleased with Backstrom/Crawford as our 1A and 1B.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:15 PM
coldsteelonice84

Me too, that makes us a contender in one move. How can they keep Backs? Makes no sense and they don't need him.

Old
08-30-2012, 01:26 AM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Are you serious? Typical from you.

Even if the hawks could make Monty and Frolik disappear, they would still be at the "new" cap with slots to fill. You realize the hawks would have to sell at least $9m in a buyers market to be a buyer, right?

They'd have to scramble a bit just to get to $58m, but it would be manageable compared to a lot of other teams. But they would be net-sellers not buyers. Detroit would make out, maybe Nashville.

But the $58m cap w/o rollbacks is a fake scenario other than being a short-term negotiating offer. The numbers don't add up. Teams in aggregate already (before rosters are full) have more committed cap hit than a $58m ceiling would allow, so even if every team would spend to the cap and $30m to $60m would have to disappear. ~100m in cap hit would have to move from the top spending teams(18 are at or above $58m) to the bottom 10 teams that only have in aggregate ~$50m in space @$58m.

The cap will be ~$64m.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:24 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
Are you serious? Typical from you.
Damn right, I'm not going to live in a box. Where there are potential solutions, we must discuss them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
Even if the hawks could make Monty and Frolik disappear, they would still be at the "new" cap with slots to fill. You realize the hawks would have to sell at least $9m in a buyers market to be a buyer, right?

They'd have to scramble a bit just to get to $58m, but it would be manageable compared to a lot of other teams. But they would be net-sellers not buyers. Detroit would make out, maybe Nashville.

But the $58m cap w/o rollbacks is a fake scenario other than being a short-term negotiating offer. The numbers don't add up. Teams in aggregate already (before rosters are full) have more committed cap hit than a $58m ceiling would allow, so even if every team would spend to the cap and $30m to $60m would have to disappear. ~100m in cap hit would have to move from the top spending teams(18 are at or above $58m) to the bottom 10 teams that only have in aggregate ~$50m in space @$58m.

The cap will be ~$64m.
What is this post supposed to mean. Because if it is at 64M, we're primed for a major acquisition like Backstrom (after we cut the fat).