HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

HARBORcenter Thread

Old
08-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Part of this is to build on what the gov't types have already done via Canalside. It seems they've actually gotten something right, and the new canal area where the Aud was will only add to it. There will be outdoor skating on the canals in winter (they'll drain most of the water out from what the engineers at the site tell me), plus some additional buildings and the old Donovan building will also have its hotel up and running prior to this as well, also with a restaurant from what I've heard.

08-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Clock

This is fantastic. Anything that drives traffic downtown is huge, and will help existing businesses near the area. Having a hotel that hooks right up to the arena... fans are going to have great little hockey-centric vacations with this.

LOVE IT. Pegula's the man.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:23 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Part of this is to build on what the gov't types have already done via Canalside. It seems they've actually gotten something right, and the new canal area where the Aud was will only add to it. There will be outdoor skating on the canals in winter (they'll drain most of the water out from what the engineers at the site tell me), plus some additional buildings and the old Donovan building will also have its hotel up and running prior to this as well, also with a restaurant from what I've heard.
Yeah. They're also actually installing refrigeration systems to make sure they can freeze the canals for skating even if we have a mild winter. I can't argue with that to be honest. I cannot WAIT to skate downthere in a nice snowfall once things are built.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:31 AM
HiddenInLight

I forgot to mention also, Ted Black mentioned that they plan on making the arena area less about go once and see it, then say been there done that, and more about go there, then keep going back.

Honestly though, Pegula truely is doing his best to make buffalo a hockey destination, not only for players, but for fans as well. I wouldn't be surprised it he started pushing the bills to work on building a downtown football stadium to bring even more life to the downtown area.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:41 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post

Love outdoor rinks.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:42 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I forgot to mention also, Ted Black mentioned that they plan on making the arena area less about go once and see it, then say been there done that, and more about go there, then keep going back.

Honestly though, Pegula truely is doing his best to make buffalo a hockey destination, not only for players, but for fans as well. I wouldn't be surprised it he started pushing the bills to work on building a downtown football stadium to bring even more life to the downtown area.
I wish this would stop. Pegula is busy enough with the Sabres, and now this project. He hasn't expressed one iota of interest in the Bills.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:54 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I wish this would stop. Pegula is busy enough with the Sabres, and now this project. He hasn't expressed one iota of interest in the Bills.
But he has shown interest in helping to revive the downtown buffalo area. The point was more about that effort then the Bills.

Old
08-30-2012, 10:17 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Remember Pegula expressed no interest in developing downtown either. He said so.

I have heard some interesting comments from Pegula since he purchased the Sabres on the NFL. The biggest one was on his trip to Europe, MSG had a special on and Pegula spoke passionately about the importance of small market teams in the NFL. His wife sitting next to him nodding her head yes.

If I had to guess he is very interested in the Bills behind the scenes, it just makes sense. I believe Kim was a cheerleader, she lived in Western Ny. How do you not follow the Bills and like Football if you live in Western NY?

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:39 AM
barcs

If I recall, he was questioned about reuniting with the Amerks in his initial press conference with the team and no interest was expressed.

It wouldn't be too far fetched if the Bills came about in the next few years.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:55 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Love It!

Can we just give Pegula and his team pieces of downtown at a time, and let him and his team just build.

Even Pegula knows that the best way to make Buffalo a better place is to keep any of the government officals away from any input of what goes where.
You'd better believe the government deserves a say in this process. The government is going to be substantially funding the project. You want the government giving away your money to corporate interests without any discretion over its use?

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:03 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I mean, I guess you guys can speculate all you want about Pegula and the Bills, but frankly, I'm tired of hearing about it.

Amerks : Makes sense from a hockey standpoint. Having the farm team under your ownership umbrella, and an hour away, is just logical.

HARBORCenter : Makes sense from a hockey standpoint. Practice rinks and a hotel connected to your NHL arena? Win. Tighter integration with local college hockey? Win. Additional revenue streams generated from holding tournaments? Win.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:04 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
You'd better believe the government deserves a say in this process. The government is going to be substantially funding the project. You want the government giving away your money to corporate interests without any discretion over its use?
Um...what?

The project is getting PILOT and brownfield tax credits. Pegula is funding it from his resources.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Sources have stated that he would be interested in the Bills. He's not pushing for it, but it's out there.

Quote:
Gleason writes: "Without getting too far ahead, sources said, he would be very interested in buying the Bills after the passing of owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr., now 92, if enough variables fall into place."
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010...-buffalo-bills

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:50 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Bucky is not reliable in my book. For years, he's cited his anonymous sources to justify one crazypants idea after another.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:30 PM
zbubble

Anyone with that kind of money should be interested in buying the Bills. The NFL does nothing but make money.

Having said that, most of the reason the Bills are so profitable is they have no debt. A new stadium would seriously cut into that profit margin.

I think people tend to forget how much land area a new stadium plus parking would take up. Unless we're comfortable giving up tailgating to have parking garages, the amount of surface parking needed is gigantic. Over in OP, the parking lots take about 8 times the area of the stadium itself. Even using existing parking areas downtown that normally wouldn't be used on Sundays, I still can't see how there's enough room to do that downtown.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:12 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
Anyone with that kind of money should be interested in buying the Bills. The NFL does nothing but make money.

Having said that, most of the reason the Bills are so profitable is they have no debt. A new stadium would seriously cut into that profit margin.

I think people tend to forget how much land area a new stadium plus parking would take up. Unless we're comfortable giving up tailgating to have parking garages, the amount of surface parking needed is gigantic. Over in OP, the parking lots take about 8 times the area of the stadium itself. Even using existing parking areas downtown that normally wouldn't be used on Sundays, I still can't see how there's enough room to do that downtown.
Well, Cleveland does it, somehow.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:19 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Can this Webster Block play center?

Quote:
Nah, opponents will just walk all over it.

Quote:
This place is pretty big, how many fireplaces do you think they can get in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
certain things didn't come up for one reason or another. can't say much but I will say, their was def a reason why the decision got delayed for 2 weeks. the proposals you saw weren't entirely accurate. Don't get me wrong, I think both proposals are nice and I'm glad stuff is being done down there and I love Pegula's enthusiasm on and off the ice, however their is more to this that hasn't come out yet.
I know you're not intentionally being coy, but perhaps Skyway related?

Quote:
I haven't read the actual sources, but poster comments debunk the underlined.
As to the bolded - that happens every day; you and I are near-powerless to stop it.

Quote:
And the rebuttal...
Quote:
Remember Pegula expressed no interest in developing downtown either. He said so.

I have heard some interesting comments from Pegula since he purchased the Sabres on the NFL. The biggest one was on his trip to Europe, MSG had a special on and Pegula spoke passionately about the importance of small market teams in the NFL. His wife sitting next to him nodding her head yes.

If I had to guess he is very interested in the Bills behind the scenes, it just makes sense. I believe Kim was a cheerleader, she lived in Western Ny. How do you not follow the Bills and like Football if you live in Western NY?
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
If I recall, he was questioned about reuniting with the Amerks in his initial press conference with the team and no interest was expressed.

It wouldn't be too far fetched if the Bills came about in the next few years.
<fingers crossed> Terry has not expressed any interest in making any of us heir to his empire. We can only hope that continues. </crossed fingers>

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:46 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Well, Cleveland does it, somehow.
Don't they have limited on-site parking and mostly utilize parking garages and off-site parking? You might have to park a mile away from the stadium to see a Browns game.

If people here would be willing to change the way they tailgate around the stadium to be more split up and spread out, then even taking parking out of the equation, the only choices to fit the actual stadium would be to raze about 6 existing city blocks, use Lasalle park, or get the coast guard to move out of the outer harbor.

Old
08-30-2012, 03:39 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Don't they have limited on-site parking and mostly utilize parking garages and off-site parking? You might have to park a mile away from the stadium to see a Browns game.

If people here would be willing to change the way they tailgate around the stadium to be more split up and spread out, then even taking parking out of the equation, the only choices to fit the actual stadium would be to raze about 6 existing city blocks, use Lasalle park, or get the coast guard to move out of the outer harbor.
I have zero problem with razing 6 blocks of empty falling apart rat infested hazards of buildings.

Old
08-30-2012, 03:54 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I have zero problem with razing 6 blocks of empty falling apart rat infested hazards of buildings.
Good luck with that. They can't tear down one abondoned 100 year old grain elevator without the preservation board filing lawsuits, there's zero chance of 6 blocks ever being demolished.

Old
08-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Good luck with that. They can't tear down one abondoned 100 year old grain elevator without the preservation board filing lawsuits, there's zero chance of 6 blocks ever being demolished.
Leave the decision up to the Amherst planning board and point at the BMHA projects off Perry... they'll be levelled in weeks.

I was just in downtown Philly. Love how they've set up all three of their stadiums to all utilize the same parking and highway pattern.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 04:00 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Exactly.

The preservationists in this area are bats**t insane.

Old
08-30-2012, 04:09 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Exactly.

The preservationists in this area are bats**t insane.
Yeah, I guess people enjoy looking at ratty abandoned buildings.

I just drove through an area of the city I never have before. The area north the west side but south of Riverside off Military. Quite the ghetto down there, they even have a completely idiotic and nonsensical street layout with tons of one-ways, and three point intersections.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Yeah, I guess people enjoy looking at ratty abandoned buildings.

I just drove through an area of the city I never have before. The area north the west side but south of Riverside off Military. Quite the ghetto down there, they even have a completely idiotic and nonsensical street layout with tons of one-ways, and three point intersections.
Blackrock?

Old
08-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Something else of note, as was mentioned in the conversations with Black, Gilbert, and Sinclair on HH this morning, visiting teams will likely be using the hotel.