HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bourque out for 8 to 12 weeks

Old
08-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Agree.A great opportunity for Leblanc with second line minutes.
It pisses you off when people slot White in his natural position that he's played for most of his junior career? Why?

I had my doubts with Bourque on the second line but was hopeful it could work out. With Geoffrion playing on the second line, you're basically giving up before the season started.

Old
08-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Witha different name Geoffrion would have no following here.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:22 AM
habitue*

Too bad. I was expecting Bourque to have a great start under Therrien's coaching.

We gonna see now how thin is the depth chart. They gonna have to move Eller on the left wing for a while or play Armstrong with Plekky and Gionta.

It also means Gomez will definitely be on the starting roster.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Too bad. I was expecting Bourque to have a great start under Therrien's coaching.

We gonna see now how thin is the depth chart. They gonna have to move Eller on the left wing for a while or play Armstrong with Plekky and Gionta.

It also means Gomez will definitely be on the starting roster.
Gomez will play wing!

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Jerky

Gomez's days are numbered if the CAP gets reduced

Jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:44 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Geoffrion? He might make the team out of camp because of Bourque but he wouldn't play on the 2nd line. Armstrong and even Moen have better shots.

Pacio-DD-Cole
Armstrong-Pleky-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Prust
Geoffrion-Gomez-White
Noke

If I were MT thats what I'd do to start the season :

Pacio-DD-Cole
Armstrong-Pleky-Gionta
Gomez-Eller-Prust
Moen-Noke-White

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Jerky

I'd like to try Palushaj there, but I'm not sure he can play on the off wing, being a natural RW. Has he ever played LW?

This would be the "opportunity" that everyone here was hoping he'd get when we traded for him...a top six role.

Jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:51 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
I'd like to try Palushaj there, but I'm not sure he can play on the off wing, being a natural RW. Has he ever played LW?

This would be the "opportunity" that everyone here was hoping he'd get when we traded for him...a top six role.
Yeah he should get the chance. It would be silly to discard him too early only to see him dominate on another team. He was never given a good chance here, he's probably a guy that needs to play with good players to succeed.

Even if he's not part of the long term plan if we manage to have him break out we can trade him for some value instead of having to waive him.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 05:00 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Geoffrion? He might make the team out of camp because of Bourque but he wouldn't play on the 2nd line. Armstrong and even Moen have better shots.

Pacio-DD-Cole
Armstrong-Pleky-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Prust
Geoffrion-Gomez-White
Noke

If I were MT thats what I'd do to start the season :

Pacio-DD-Cole
Armstrong-Pleky-Gionta
Gomez-Eller-Prust
Moen-Noke-Whit
e
I prefer your 2nd line up by far... But no way in hell Gomez gonna play on a wing. Eller is the one who can and should play LW on that line.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:13 PM
S Bah

I heard he was training hard for this season,visions of Mr.T training to fight Rocky for the title.Bourque has all year to train thanks to Buttman,maybe he should try Gary Roberts off-season training it's worked wonders for lots of careers.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
The player that HAS to seeze this oppurtinity is Geoffrion imo. With Gionta back the 2nd needs a strong player that will crash the net, and he has the frame to do it.
That's a good call. There are a lot of candidates. MT could switch a centre, either Eller or Gomez. He could test out Leblanc, Gallagher, Palushaj or Geoffrion, or he could bump up Moen or Armstrong. The overall lineup is weaker without Bourque, but there should be a good fight among decent players and prospects for the spot he's vacated.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:49 PM
DAChampion

Fans spent an entire summer debating fake lineups that assumed every single player on the 23 man roster would be healthy.

Bourque is merely the first of many injuries to come.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:53 PM
habFAN09

im still hoping Bourque can come back and have a good second half of the season 20 goals would be good. Im still not happy with the trade for him and cammy though o well cant change the past

habFAN09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:28 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
It pisses you off when people slot White in his natural position that he's played for most of his junior career? Why?
ill assume this directed at me, if not, well chalk it up to my early onset schizophrenia.

it pisses me off because white's never played center in the NHL (somebody, i forgot who, said he played center toward the end of the year, i don't remember that at all), doesn't play like a center, doesn't have the vision to play center in the NHL, and doesn't have the faceoff skills to be a center in the NHL.

basically, everything he isn't, is what you'd want as your 4th line center. who cares if he was a center in junior, are people still claiming leblanc will be a center in the NHL? plenty of players play center in juniors only to be shifted to the wings once they reach the NHL. and clearly habs management feel the same since they've resigned noke in addition to gomez and whoever they can forage in the AHL (dumont?)

the pisses me off part is because, slotting a guy for a position he's never played in the NHL is either ignorance, wishful thinking, or they've never watched a habs game before.

or i might be a little too sensitive at times, that's also possible...

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 08-31-2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: fixed a semantical loophole
MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:12 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

so, our hope of having a good 2nd line at the start of the season are on the shoulder of a youngster (Leblanc, Palushaj, whatever)...

well...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 07:31 AM
baldrick

Quote:

I had my doubts with Bourque on the second line but was hopeful it could work out. With Geoffrion playing on the second line, you're basically giving up before the season started.
I think you quoted the wrong post,sir

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:04 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
so, our hope of having a good 2nd line at the start of the season are on the shoulder of a youngster (Leblanc, Palushaj, whatever)...

well...
Colby Armstrong sir.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
ill assume this directed at me, if not, well chalk it up to my early onset schizophrenia.

it pisses me off because white's never played center in the NHL (somebody, i forgot who, said he played center toward the end of the year, i don't remember that at all), doesn't play like a center, doesn't have the vision to play center in the NHL, and doesn't have the faceoff skills to be a center in the NHL.

basically, everything he isn't, is what you'd want as your 4th line center. who cares if he was a center in junior, are people still claiming leblanc will be a center in the NHL? plenty of players play center in juniors only to be shifted to the wings once they reach the NHL. and clearly habs management feel the same since they've resigned noke in addition to gomez and whoever they can forage in the AHL (dumont?)

the pisses me off part is because, slotting a guy for a position he's never played in the NHL is either ignorance, wishful thinking, or they've never watched a habs game before.

or i might be a little too sensitive at times, that's also possible...
I won't disagree about White being particularly weak at face-offs. He is, although I ponder the idea of how many face-offs he'll have to take per game, barring icing calls.

He did in fact play centre at the tail end of last season. The season before, he also saw some time in that position. His defensive game is not the greatest but playing 6-8 minutes a game didn't hurt the team then, so why now?

I don't mind him on the wing. He's effective either way.

On the topic of Bourque's empty spot, I'd like to see Palushaj, Leblanc and Armstrong getting their chances. If anything clicks, great! If not, prepare for the Moen-Plekanec-Gionta line. Unless of course, Gomez tries wing...

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Colby Armstrong sir.
Colby Armstrong is not a top 6 forward, solid 3rd liner when healthy but far from being as top 6

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
I think you quoted the wrong post,sir
You appear to be right. Posting, and typing for that matter, on my cell is a challenge if I may say so myself.

Old
08-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I won't disagree about White being particularly weak at face-offs. He is, although I ponder the idea of how many face-offs he'll have to take per game, barring icing calls.

He did in fact play centre at the tail end of last season. The season before, he also saw some time in that position. His defensive game is not the greatest but playing 6-8 minutes a game didn't hurt the team then, so why now?

On the topic of Bourque's empty spot, I'd like to see Palushaj, Leblanc and Armstrong getting their chances. If anything clicks, great! If not, prepare for the Moen-Plekanec-Gionta line. Unless of course, Gomez tries wing...
White has only played center when injuries forced him into that position. He is too slow and uncreative to play center effectively. White is probably the slowest skater on the team and a center is expected to cover more ice than any player on the team. I believe they would try Prust ahead of White if they were in a pickle as he has also seen spot duty at center but is a better skater.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
White has only played center when injuries forced him into that position. He is too slow and uncreative to play center effectively. White is probably the slowest skater on the team and a center is expected to cover more ice than any player on the team. I believe they would try Prust ahead of White if they were in a pickle as he has also seen spot duty at center but is a better skater.
Either that or Nokelainen.

White doesn't need to be creative while playing on the 4th line. Dump the puck in deep, skate after it and make some hits. His game is to play feisty, hit bodies and draw a penalty every now and then.

Old
08-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Either that or Nokelainen.

White doesn't need to be creative while playing on the 4th line. Dump the puck in deep, skate after it and make some hits. His game is to play feisty, hit bodies and draw a penalty every now and then.
His skating is still a huge problem and the main reason that he can't play the position.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:45 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:

Fair enough.

I see as an absolute need for a 4th line center to be elite as far as face off are concerned. That, and defensive acumen. White isn't bad in the latter, but he isn't great either. I see white as a future Neil kind of player so I love him and have a lot of expectations, but he still has ways to go...

As for your last paragraph, palushaj NEEDS to be given a proper chance, I've seen the flashes. Before selling, he needs a proper shot in a role. He is suited for, not 3rd or 4th line mind of ********...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:54 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Colby Armstrong is not a top 6 forward, solid 3rd liner when healthy but far from being as top 6
When you have injuries you end up with 3rd line players in the top-6.