HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The future of Ryan Jones

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Broilers

vCash: 500
The future of Ryan Jones

I read one article from the oilersnation

http://oilersnation.com/2012/8/28/ab...the-other-ryan

What are you guys thinking about Ryan Jones and his future with the club. I think myself that he will be inserted to the third line and he will ask hefty pay raise after the season something like 2,5-3,5M and he will get walk away papers in the off season.

When Tambo renew his contract last time negotiations we not so easy so I think he will be with the team last season. I would consider to trade him prior to trading dead line if we are not contending for the play off spot.

Old
08-30-2012, 10:34 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
He's a useful bottom 6 guy, but if he's looking for a lot of money, let him walk.

Old
08-30-2012, 10:38 AM
DousedInOil

Team captain as per a random stranger I ran into a couple days ago.

Old
08-30-2012, 10:41 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
If there is a season by the trade deadline we should know whether or not we need Jones to stay for another year or look at moving him.

Old
08-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

He's a locker room guy, so they'll fork out the extra couple of hundred thousand to keep him around. If he asks for more than 2.2M (under current cap), he's done.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Aerchon

Ryan Jones is exactly the kind of guy we could win a cup with as a bottom 6 forward. Love his game. He really has been one of edmontons most undervalued players. He has typicaly played with bad players and looked good doing it.

But the only way he can be part of our cup run is if he signs low and continues to bring his high level of compete. Tough spot for him and the Oilers.

Because he is not an elite player he technicaly can not be considered a "core" player. Which means he probably will not be around for much longer :-(

I would watch him him in Oilers blue any day of the week over Smyth or Horcoff. And while lower potential than MP there is no question Ryan Jones is a better player right now.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:36 PM
AUAIOMRN

I like him but he's a 4th liner. If he's playing anywhere else than we have a depth problem.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:37 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Like Jones, but reality is with all the star players we are going to have, if a bottom 6 guy wants to stay they will have to stay for less. If he wants a big contract, see ya.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Master Lok

How much can Ryan Jones improve under Krueger's coaching?

He works hard, willing to battle in corners, willing to go in front of net and battle for rebounds, and he hits. But for a bottom six guy, he's not that good defensively, his positioning is not very strong.

In order for him to cement his role in the bottom six, he needs to really improve his defensive awareness.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:55 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Trade him in a package with either Hemsky or Gagner to get what the Oilers need. The Oilers have some prospects that can easily replace him.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
He's really the perfect depth guy, knows his role, chips in offensively and can play up in the line up in a pinch, I don't see what's wrong with keeping him around.

He's relatively young and is a great team guy as well.

Old
08-30-2012, 01:14 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

jones is a team first guy, dont forget he was waived before he got his shot with the oilers so im sure he will remember that, sign a nice 3yr deal and play his roll jus like he has been asked to do. Like Smid im willing to bet there isnt a guy in the oilers room that doesnt like him. He knows where this team is going in the future and im willing to bet he wants to stay and will make that happen.

Old
08-30-2012, 01:16 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
He's going to have to bring his game up a step or two if he plans on remaining a 3rd line player on the Oil by the end of next season.

Old
08-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Team captain as per a random stranger I ran into a couple days ago.
lol.

Ahhhh the thoughts of the average stranger fan. Dumb as always. also... no arena please!

Old
08-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
He's really the perfect depth guy, knows his role, chips in offensively and can play up in the line up in a pinch, I don't see what's wrong with keeping him around.

He's relatively young and is a great team guy as well.
^This. He can slide in from the 4th to the 2nd line in a pinch and produce. I don't know why people say he's not good defensively when he's been consistantly effective on the PK.

4th liners don't score 17-18 goals a season btw...He's a perfect third liner/depth guy...period.

Old
08-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Senor Catface

He'll never get close to 18 goals again!!!

Oh wait. Uh, that's...this year.

Yeah, he'll only get 5 to 10. Book it...or something like that.

Old
08-30-2012, 03:15 PM
senorchang

Id keep him just for the flow.

Old
08-30-2012, 04:00 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I like Jones for the short term, but for the long term the oilers have kids coming up that will be fighting for icetime or getting a cup a coffee with the big club.

On the LW

Hall
Smyth
MPS
Jones
Pettrell
Hordichuck

While MPS is still developing Jones is a good place holder. MPS I think will come around and will be a good 2nd line LW shortly.

On the farm we have 3 or 4 guys that can play left wing and should be getting short looks over the next couple of years

Top one is hartikinen, for me it is not if but when he will be NHL ready. He has looked in his two try out over the past two seasons and I think if MPS does stumble as the 2nd line lw--Hartikinen could be the guy to step up.

Other players in the system that we need to develop are guys like Vande Velde(some people are starting to give up on the guy--but I have hope). than dark horses like Hamilton, Martindale, and a few others that need to be developed. Than we have the X factor such as Lander and Pitlick playing out of their positions. Jones is 28 and is a good buffer in allowing the kids develop properly and not being rushed.

Old
08-30-2012, 04:55 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I like Jones for the short term, but for the long term the oilers have kids coming up that will be fighting for icetime or getting a cup a coffee with the big club.

On the LW

Hall
Smyth
MPS
Jones
Pettrell
Hordichuck

While MPS is still developing Jones is a good place holder. MPS I think will come around and will be a good 2nd line LW shortly.

On the farm we have 3 or 4 guys that can play left wing and should be getting short looks over the next couple of years

Top one is hartikinen, for me it is not if but when he will be NHL ready. He has looked in his two try out over the past two seasons and I think if MPS does stumble as the 2nd line lw--Hartikinen could be the guy to step up.

Other players in the system that we need to develop are guys like Vande Velde(some people are starting to give up on the guy--but I have hope). than dark horses like Hamilton, Martindale, and a few others that need to be developed. Than we have the X factor such as Lander and Pitlick playing out of their positions. Jones is 28 and is a good buffer in allowing the kids develop properly and not being rushed.
im in the boat of keep jones for as long as he will sign sweetheart deals. Why replace him with a kid that might be able to do what he does when you already have the guy who already does what you want. use those unproven assets and their percieved potential to piece together trades for elite players.

Old
08-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

If Jones starts to play a more power game he'd be a prototypical third liner with energy. Having said that, he hasn't provided enough physicality to warrant a long term contract over 2 million imo.

Old
08-30-2012, 05:05 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
im in the boat of keep jones for as long as he will sign sweetheart deals. Why replace him with a kid that might be able to do what he does when you already have the guy who already does what you want. use those unproven assets and their percieved potential to piece together trades for elite players.
Like I said--Jones is perfect blocking part to let the kids develop onthe farm

Old
08-30-2012, 05:17 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
^This. He can slide in from the 4th to the 2nd line in a pinch and produce. I don't know why people say he's not good defensively when he's been consistantly effective on the PK.

4th liners don't score 17-18 goals a season btw...He's a perfect third liner/depth guy...period.
Solid 3d liner, perfect 4th liner who can go up the depth chart if need be. As long as he does not ask for much more than 2M, they should keep him. Better yet, bring in another guy like him. Letestu, Mathias, Winnik, Gregory Campbell are some of the names that come to mind that should not be overly expensive to sign or trade for, and could greatly solidify our bottom 6.

Old
08-30-2012, 06:10 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
When Tambo renew his contract last time negotiations we not so easy so I think he will be with the team last season.
Where did you hear that the negotiations were not so easy?
I think Jones signed promptly and quietly.

Old
08-30-2012, 06:17 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Where did you hear that the negotiations were not so easy?
I think Jones signed promptly and quietly.
I don't remember a problem either, wasn't he signed well before the draft? That and Jones threw a few juicy tweets at fans talking about how they'll be happy soon.

Old
08-30-2012, 10:22 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
He'll never get close to 18 goals again!!!

Oh wait. Uh, that's...this year.

Yeah, he'll only get 5 to 10. Book it...or something like that.
Just sign Bill Sweat to replace him next year.

Closed Thread