HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm-Tor

Old
08-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
The reason why Boston would be open to trading Boychuk are the exact reasons he would be what the oilers are looking for. Boston would trade him because although he can handle top 4 minutes with Chara he isnt really a top Dman. He is a dman that can log alot of time, make good d decisions and put on hits. although he has a solid shot hes not going to be setting up crisp outlets to bolting wingers. What the Oilers need is a 3rd RHD who can handle a tough defensive load in an offensive system - ESPECIALLY while Justin Schultz gets acquainted. He would be slipping on the right where Petry and J Schultz are, thus upgrading on Potter. We just need him to do what he does, and we got the guys to take care of the other parts.
Skipping the whole other part of your fantasy thing, but the fact is that they play Chara-Seidenberg for most of the time, and if a d-man was going to be able to log top pair minutes, they aren't trading him for anything less of an upgrade, and Hemsky/Gags will not get an upgrade from a different team.. We want him but they would want to trade him because ... Logs a lot of time, makes good decisions, and puts on hits. Ya let's give him away, just a scrub.

edit: CM

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:43 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
How does Kadri have any value if he is an AHL player with one of the worst teams in the NHL. Is it possible because teams recognize that for a player his age that development is not linear.

I don't see why this is so complicated. Franson would not even be on the Oilers pp so his offensive skills are going to be of far less use. The Oilers will use one dman per unit and he would sit behind both Petry and Whitney for sure and likely behind Schultz and maybe even Fedun.

If you want to give him to the Oilers for free I am sure they will take him. But they will not deal Paajarvi, a kid that they are still very high on despite the opinions of so many on here who probably saw if at mopst 2 times last year, for a defenseman who would not be in tehir longterm plans.

Franson is not a new name for Oiler fans. He has been dicussed since he was a prospect with Nashville. Many of us have followed his career quite closely since back then. So it is not like the comments you are hearing are all coming from ignorance of his game. I've probably seen him play as much or more than as most Leaf fans.
Because he's a project -- at 21 years old there is still room for him to grow into an AHL player. Same for Paajarvi. That however does not make either of these guys better players than Franson.

Franson would be on the Oiler PP, one of the reasons teams use 4 forwards is because a lack of powerplay defenceman. That being said, he's not available for Paajarvi nor Teubert. The player from Edmonton where a Franson deal may work is Khabibulin.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Boondock

As a neutral observer I think the value is very close and could be argued either way as to who wins a deal like this, but I would be less likely to make this deal from an Oilers stand point.

I think Paajarvi will develop into a very good player for the Oilers. He's only 21 years old he will become a complementary winger to either Eberle or Yakupov. His size and his physicality will open space for a top tier goal scorer. I think he will become a Kulemin style player (the good Kuli) with higher offensive potential.

Tuebert is hit or miss, and I don't know enough about his game to give a real fair assessment, but he's still pretty young and plays a style of game that might take him a little longer to develop, maybe a Roman Polak style player. If he does develop into a Polak type player then that's a pretty valuable piece to a defence.

Franson - I'm hit or miss with him. I think he is a solid 3rd pairing guy who is great for a #2 PP, but 15 mins a night is probably where he is most effective over an entire season. What Franson has is several years of NHL play where as the others are pretty limited.

Colborne - I understand the concept that Colborne has a top 6 skill set that doesn't translate well to 3rd line C. This concerns me a little. I think he should hone his checking game and break onto his NHL team as a 3rd line C who develops his game into a top 6 role like a Backlund. Breaking into the NHL and automatically getting top6 time is tough, not many young guys can make that direct jump from junior to the Pros.

So basically I think the 2 Oiler players have higher total potential, not immediate returns like Franson, but the potential to be better in 2-3 years. Oilers are 2-3 years away from being fully developed so I think they keep there potential.

Values pretty close though, good job OP.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 04:12 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Skipping the whole other part of your fantasy thing, but the fact is that they play Chara-Seidenberg for most of the time, and if a d-man was going to be able to log top pair minutes, they aren't trading him for anything less of an upgrade, and Hemsky/Gags will not get an upgrade from a different team.. We want him but they would want to trade him because ... Logs a lot of time, makes good decisions, and puts on hits. Ya let's give him away, just a scrub.

read the boychuk proposal thread a few pages in. statements from B's.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Because he's a project -- at 21 years old there is still room for him to grow into an AHL player. Same for Paajarvi. That however does not make either of these guys better players than Franson.

Franson would be on the Oiler PP, one of the reasons teams use 4 forwards is because a lack of powerplay defenceman. That being said, he's not available for Paajarvi nor Teubert. The player from Edmonton where a Franson deal may work is Khabibulin.
Well we seem to be getting closer. At least about Paajarvi.

But you still seem to ignore the fact that many Oiler fans know their team better than you do.

The first power play unit will have 4 forwards because that is the way the pp is designed. That group will liklely be Hall, Eberle, RNH, Smyth, and Petry, who has a very big shot. Smyth's job is to play in front of the net and create space. Petry is a RH shot which works well with RNH on the RH half wall QB'ing the pp.

The second unit, which will see much less time has Hemsky, Gagner, Yakupov and probably Horcoff (unfortunately) in front of the net. Hemsky runs this unit from the left half wall with Whitney on the left side being his go to guy.

If they want a seond dman on that unit instead of one of the forwards from time to time it will be J.Scultz.

While I agree that if the Oilers did deal for a guy like Franson it would be someone who they did not see in their future I real do not believe the Oilers are not going to trade Khabibulin for Franson. Khabibulin is great in the room and Dubnyk loves him. He has been a very good mentor for Dubnyk. But more to the point, the Oilers have no option for a backup at this point.

Simply stated, the Oilers have no real need for Franson. Now or in the future. They have several hgh quality offensive defensemen in the pipeline. If they do want to add another defenseman it will either be a bigger deal for a young dman with first pairing potential or it will be for a vet that can play physically in a shut down role.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:55 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Well we seem to be getting closer. At least about Paajarvi.

But you still seem to ignore the fact that many Oiler fans know their team better than you do.

The first power play unit will have 4 forwards because that is the way the pp is designed. That group will liklely be Hall, Eberle, RNH, Smyth, and Petry, who has a very big shot. Smyth's job is to play in front of the net and create space. Petry is a RH shot which works well with RNH on the RH half wall QB'ing the pp.

The second unit, which will see much less time has Hemsky, Gagner, Yakupov and probably Horcoff (unfortunately) in front of the net. Hemsky runs this unit from the left half wall with Whitney on the left side being his go to guy.

If they want a seond dman on that unit instead of one of the forwards from time to time it will be J.Scultz.

While I agree that if the Oilers did deal for a guy like Franson it would be someone who they did not see in their future I real do not believe the Oilers are not going to trade Khabibulin for Franson. Khabibulin is great in the room and Dubnyk loves him. He has been a very good mentor for Dubnyk. But more to the point, the Oilers have no option for a backup at this point.

Simply stated, the Oilers have no real need for Franson. Now or in the future. They have several hgh quality offensive defensemen in the pipeline. If they do want to add another defenseman it will either be a bigger deal for a young dman with first pairing potential or it will be for a vet that can play physically in a shut down role.
Has it ever occured to you that coaches design schemes around the players they have???

Old
08-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Has it ever occured to you that coaches design schemes around the players they have???
Has this occured to you? You may not know this but the Oilers actually have a few forwards with some talent and their pp was one of the best in the NHL even when Corey Potter was on the point. The reason for this is that their forwards are deadly when given room. Does it make sense to you that the Oilers would suddenly change this for the sole reason of gettig Franson some pp time. And since last year they have added Yakupov and J. Schultz to the mix and Whitney appears to be healthy again, making it even less likely that Franson would have any role.

Old
08-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Sypher04

The whole Leafs fans overrate their players bit is so overdone. Every team overrates their own players. Look around HF, you won't find a fanbase that doesn't. Larger fanbases tend to be more vocal, and have more people who will not have realistic valuations of their team. This isn't unique to Leaf fans.

I wish people would show some respect to everyone here regardless of their allegiance and stop trying to look to the jersey a fan wears as a way to determine their hockey knowledge or capability to assess a player's value.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:36 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Has this occured to you? You may not know this but the Oilers actually have a few forwards with some talent and their pp was one of the best in the NHL even when Corey Potter was on the point. The reason for this is that their forwards are deadly when given room. Does it make sense to you that the Oilers would suddenly change this for the sole reason of gettig Franson some pp time. And since last year they have added Yakupov and J. Schultz to the mix and Whitney appears to be healthy again, making it even less likely that Franson would have any role.
Yeah -- they've got forwards with talent, that doesn't mean those forwards wouldn't be displaced by a talented powerplay defenceman.

Old
08-30-2012, 08:59 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Pass from the Oilers POV.

I would consider moving Peckham & a late pick for Franson, and that's about it.

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:05 AM
handyj

This whole thread (and the original proposal) is just full of silliness, and that's coming from a Leafs' fan. Trade makes very little sense for either team. As Oiler fans are pointing out, Franson isn't a significant upgrade on D for them and if they were packaging those two players to get a D they would do it straight up for a better player and not a package with a forward. It makes even less sense for the Leafs. We are a bit thinner on D now having traded Schenn, so going from Franson to a less proven Teubert is risky, and why would we deal one of our only decent center prospects for a winger? The fact this deal was proposed by a TO fan is scary.

Secondly, all of this back and forth about how each teams' players are garbage and busts is ridiculous. Nobody mentioned in this deal is a bust at this point, they all have some value, and they all have the chance to be very useful players in the future. Oilers' fans saying Franson has zero value and that Colborne is a bust need to shake their heads, and the same TO fans that proposed the trade and are saying the Oilers' pieces are busts sound just as crazy. If they were of so little value then why would you even make a proposal like this or argue with Oiler fans over this trade?

handyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Yeah -- they've got forwards with talent, that doesn't mean those forwards wouldn't be displaced by a talented powerplay defenceman.
This is Cody Franson we are talking about, not Erik Karlsson. You are seriously going to tell me that Krueger is going to redesign a pp that was the team's best asset and tell a kid like Yakupov to sit because the team wants to get Cody Franson some pp minutes. If you are just trolling me I then I say well done because you did get me to bite. If you are serious then I think no response is necesssary.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:33 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
This is Cody Franson we are talking about, not Erik Karlsson. You are seriously going to tell me that Krueger is going to redesign a pp that was the team's best asset and tell a kid like Yakupov to sit because the team wants to get Cody Franson some pp minutes. If you are just trolling me I then I say well done because you did get me to bite. If you are serious then I think no response is necesssary.
Yeah it is -- a good puckmover who's got a pretty good shot that he knows how to keep low. It's not about redesigning the powerplay, it's about going with what works. Powerplays get adjusted throughout a year, and Franson gives them the ability to have a different look that may very well be better than what they had last year.

Krueger should want to win. In the context of designing a powerplay, that means taking the players available to you that give you the best chance of scoring with the worst chance of being scored against.

Old
08-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak5holeguy View Post
To Edm:
Joe Colborne,Cody Franson

To Tor:
Magnus Paajarvi,Colten Teubert, 3rd
That doesn't really solve a need for us (ie: Center position) but you want to trade from an area of weakness for an area of strength (ie: Wingers) Oh now I get it...a trade for the sake of making a trade. My goodness... some of my fellow Leaf fans are seriously... and make themselves impossible to defend at times.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Yeah it is -- a good puckmover who's got a pretty good shot that he knows how to keep low. It's not about redesigning the powerplay, it's about going with what works. Powerplays get adjusted throughout a year, and Franson gives them the ability to have a different look that may very well be better than what they had last year.

Krueger should want to win. In the context of designing a powerplay, that means taking the players available to you that give you the best chance of scoring with the worst chance of being scored against.
Of course every team makes adjustments. The Oilers are no exception. Here is the problem with this. On the first pp the player he would replace is Petry. Petry is better than Franson in every aspect of the game. He moves the puck as well or better than Franson and has as good a shot. He is also a much better skater which helps with the Oilers speed and transition game. He is also better defensively so your comment about preventing goals does not help you here.

On the second pp if they went with your "new look" they have two real options. The most natural move given that Hemsky will run the pp from the left half-wall is to replace Yakupov with Franson. But Yakupov has a tremendous shot that is also very accurate. He is especially deadly off the one timer. Feeding the off side winger at the circle is Hemsky's bread and butter. The other option is to replace Gagner with Franson. But then you either move Yakupov in front of the net to battle with the dmen or you lose your presence down low on the left side that Hemsky uses so much.

So where is the big benefit in having Franson, especially given that J. Schultz is noted for being able to gets shots on net and for his puck moving skills. If you are going to tinker with the pp, why not invest the time in your blue chip offensive defenseman rather than in a 25 year old with no long term future on the team? And please don't tell me it is about winning games. There is no scenario that you can present that would credibly suggest that Franson's presence would result in any significant change in the number of games the team wins.

At this point you have presented no evidence what so ever to support your assertion that Franson would have a significant role on the Edmonton pp, or really on the team at all. All you have said is that he has a good shot and is a decent puck mover, which I already knew. As I have said before I have been following Franson since he was with the Preds (I actually watch a fair number of their games) and I live just outside of Toronto, so I get my fair share of the Leafs whether I want to or not. As such I have likely seen Franson play almost as much or more than most Leaf fans. In short, I know his game very well. Please give me some reason to believe that you know enough about the Oilers and their personnel to be able to credibly argue that what I am saying about Franson's potential role on the Oilers pp or anywhere on their roster is wrong.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:54 AM
handyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
That doesn't really solve a need for us (ie: Center position) but you want to trade from an area of weakness for an area of strength (ie: Wingers) Oh now I get it...a trade for the sake of making a trade. My goodness... some of my fellow Leaf fans are seriously... and make themselves impossible to defend at times.
This. It's posters like this (and the guy trying to argue Franson would improve EDM's PP) that get us Leafs fans the kind of reputation we have on the boards here.

handyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:14 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Of course every team makes adjustments. The Oilers are no exception. Here is the problem with this. On the first pp the player he would replace is Petry. Petry is better than Franson in every aspect of the game. He moves the puck as well or better than Franson and has as good a shot. He is also a much better skater which helps with the Oilers speed and transition game. He is also better defensively so your comment about preventing goals does not help you here.

On the second pp if they went with your "new look" they have two real options. The most natural move given that Hemsky will run the pp from the left half-wall is to replace Yakupov with Franson. But Yakupov has a tremendous shot that is also very accurate. He is especially deadly off the one timer. Feeding the off side winger at the circle is Hemsky's bread and butter. The other option is to replace Gagner with Franson. But then you either move Yakupov in front of the net to battle with the dmen or you lose your presence down low on the left side that Hemsky uses so much.

So where is the big benefit in having Franson, especially given that J. Schultz is noted for being able to gets shots on net and for his puck moving skills. If you are going to tinker with the pp, why not invest the time in your blue chip offensive defenseman rather than in a 25 year old with no long term future on the team? And please don't tell me it is about winning games. There is no scenario that you can present that would credibly suggest that Franson's presence would result in any significant change in the number of games the team wins.

At this point you have presented no evidence what so ever to support your assertion that Franson would have a significant role on the Edmonton pp, or really on the team at all. All you have said is that he has a good shot and is a decent puck mover, which I already knew. As I have said before I have been following Franson since he was with the Preds (I actually watch a fair number of their games) and I live just outside of Toronto, so I get my fair share of the Leafs whether I want to or not. As such I have likely seen Franson play almost as much or more than most Leaf fans. In short, I know his game very well. Please give me some reason to believe that you know enough about the Oilers and their personnel to be able to credibly argue that what I am saying about Franson's potential role on the Oilers pp or anywhere on their roster is wrong.
Somebody seems really content with their 2nd last place finish... You'd think that fans of an organization such as Edmonton would actually be striving for improvement, not trying to convince the world that they don't want anybody else's players.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:15 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak5holeguy View Post
To Edm:
Joe Colborne,Cody Franson

To Tor:
Magnus Paajarvi,Colten Teubert, 3rd
So if you are a leafs fan, because all your proposals revolve around the leafs, tell me with your all mighty logic why you feel this would improve your team? Now if you are going to sit and here and talk up Colborne and Franson, but say MP and Teubert are probably busts or under performing, why propose this trade? It is obviously to make your team better, to which you feel these two players do. I don't understand this mentality of pushing roses up everyone's collective ***** trying to say "Paajarvi and Teubert are under achievers, likely busts, BUT Franson and Colborne are god like. Instantly making the Oilers a better team!"

This trade either needs the 3rd to disappear, and have Toronto add a draft pick. Or take out Colborne and Teubert.

How about

Paajarvi, 2013 2nd round pick

for

Franson and Ashton

And does anyone else feel this is MintoMadDogKiller all over again? Or he got banned and started another account?

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:24 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
So if you are a leafs fan, because all your proposals revolve around the leafs, tell me with your all mighty logic why you feel this would improve your team? Now if you are going to sit and here and talk up Colborne and Franson, but say MP and Teubert are probably busts or under performing, why propose this trade? It is obviously to make your team better, to which you feel these two players do. I don't understand this mentality of pushing roses up everyone's collective ***** trying to say "Paajarvi and Teubert are under achievers, likely busts, BUT Franson and Colborne are god like. Instantly making the Oilers a better team!"

This trade either needs the 3rd to disappear, and have Toronto add a draft pick. Or take out Colborne and Teubert.

How about

for

Franson and Ashton

And does anyone else feel this is MintoMadDogKiller all over again? Or he got banned and started another account?
This trade just needs to disappear. Toronto has clear needs and a guy like Paajarvi solves none of them. Moving a valuable and important defenceman like Franson makes absolutely no sense unless we're satisfying one of those needs.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:43 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post

How about

for

Franson and Ashton

Just get rid of Franson, at best he worth a 3rd, no more and the Oilers don't need another 7th D. Ashton is like Colborne, both lack heart or drive and both combine wouldn't get you Paajarvi. Why trade Paajarvi for Ashton when he has lots more potential, you proposal doesn't make any sense for the Oilers.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Somebody seems really content with their 2nd last place finish... You'd think that fans of an organization such as Edmonton would actually be striving for improvement, not trying to convince the world that they don't want anybody else's players.
Nice comeback...Any thoughts on how Franson actually makes the Oilers better on the pp or otherwise? Care to address any of my specific comments or are you content to stick with the I'm right because I'm right argument.

If you really believed that Franson is that much of an impact player why be content to deal him for a guy like Khabibulin? Why not try and hit a home run? Could it be that there is no evidence anywhere to support your position.

What is Franson's history...

In Nashville he got his start in the NHl in 2009-2010 as their 6th defenseman playing very little at ES and only in very sheltered situations. He was got a little over a minute of pp time per game on a team that runs its pp through its defense. And they thought so much of his contributions that at the trade deadline the Preds dealt a second round pick for Dennis Grebeshkov. Until Grebs got hurt he had replaced Franson on the pp. Pretty high praise there I think as Oiler fans have a very good idea of what Grebs brings to the table.

In year two with the Preds it was pretty much the same story, except this time it was Jonathan Blum that came in and pretty much made him expendable. This is the same Jonathan Blum that has yet to crack the Pred's roster full-time by the way. But the Preds still saw fit to add him to Mathew Lombardi for the stellar return of Brett Lebda and Robert Slaney. Must of killed them to do this, given that Franson is such a game breaker and is a key part of helping his team win.

Of course as a new Leaf, Franson immediately had an impact on his new team, leading them to the promised land, with his contributions on the pp being the big factor. In particular, he proved his worth by again being the 4th choice on the pp and by being the 7th choice for ES minutes.

I assume you see things differently...If so please tell me what part of Franson's past I am missing.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:54 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Nobody is happy with a 2nd last finish, so we'd like to see moves which improve our team which means improving 5v5 play. As previously mentioned we already had the #3 pp in the league so we're not changing our power play just to include Cody *******Franson. We have already added Schultz and Yakupov who will get time on the PP and we hope they could improve an already good pp.
Sure we need other players to improve us(even strength ) but Franson is not one of those players. I have followed Franson's career since his time with the Giants, he is simply not the upgrade we are looking for so why bother wasting assets on him. I don't see why it's so difficult to understand.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:59 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Nice comeback...Any thoughts on how Franson actually makes the Oilers better on the pp or otherwise? Care to address any of my specific comments or are you content to stick with the I'm right because I'm right argument.

If you really believed that Franson is that much of an impact player why be content to deal him for a guy like Khabibulin? Why not try and hit a home run? Could it be that there is no evidence anywhere to support your position.

What is Franson's history...

In Nashville he got his start in the NHl in 2009-2010 as their 6th defenseman playing very little at ES and only in very sheltered situations. He was got a little over a minute of pp time per game on a team that runs its pp through its defense. And they thought so much of his contributions that at the trade deadline the Preds dealt a second round pick for Dennis Grebeshkov. Until Grebs got hurt he had replaced Franson on the pp. Pretty high praise there I think as Oiler fans have a very good idea of what Grebs brings to the table.

In year two with the Preds it was pretty much the same story, except this time it was Jonathan Blum that came in and pretty much made him expendable. This is the same Jonathan Blum that has yet to crack the Pred's roster full-time by the way. But the Preds still saw fit to add him to Mathew Lombardi for the stellar return of Brett Lebda and Robert Slaney. Must of killed them to do this, given that Franson is such a game breaker and is a key part of helping his team win.

Of course as a new Leaf, Franson immediately had an impact on his new team, leading them to the promised land, with his contributions on the pp being the big factor. In particular, he proved his worth by again being the 4th choice on the pp and by being the 7th choice for ES minutes.

I assume you see things differently...If so please tell me what part of Franson's past I am missing.

He'd be one of their 6 best defencemen and top 3 offensive defencemen. It really is that simple... you can look for a multitude of specific reasons why you don't want him, and I could look for a multitude of specific reasons why you do want. At the end of the day, it's all ####. You get better by getting better players. Franson is a better player than what the Oilers have.

As for why we'd be prepared to trade him for Khabibulin, Toronto has a preference for a shutdown guy in Franson's position (should be attainable with MacArthur) and desparately needs a goaltender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Nobody is happy with a 2nd last finish, so we'd like to see moves which improve our team which means improving 5v5 play. As previously mentioned we already had the #3 pp in the league so we're not changing our power play just to include Cody *******Franson. We have already added Schultz and Yakupov who will get time on the PP and we hope they could improve an already good pp.
Sure we need other players to improve us(even strength ) but Franson is not one of those players. I have followed Franson's career since his time with the Giants, he is simply not the upgrade we are looking for so why bother wasting assets on him. I don't see why it's so difficult to understand.
I'm not suggesting he's the right player for Edmonton to burn a ton of assets on. But to completely dismiss the notion of adding a defencman superior to those that would presently be in the opening day lineup is ridiculous.

Old
08-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Brian28

Quote:
He'd be one of their 6 best defencemen and top 3 offensive defencemen. It really is that simple... you can look for a multitude of specific reasons why you don't want him, and I could look for a multitude of specific reasons why you do want. At the end of the day, it's all ####. You get better by getting better players. Franson is a better player than what the Oilers have.

As for why we'd be prepared to trade him for Khabibulin, Toronto has a preference for a shutdown guy in Franson's position (should be attainable with MacArthur) and desparately needs a goaltender.

I'm not suggesting he's the right player for Edmonton to burn a ton of assets on. But to completely dismiss the notion of adding a defencman superior to those that would presently be in the opening day lineup is ridiculous.
You continually skip over the proof aspect in your arguments...simply because it doesn't exist. Franson is simply not enough of an upgrade to our bottom pairing to move assets we do have a future need for. Franson at best would be a stop gap solution while we wait 1 year on Klefbom(who absolutely has a better ceiling than Franson).

Even if Franson was the 3rd best (highly debatable now likely put to bed by December with Schultz, Whitney, and Perry competing for puck movers) it would be for 1a year until our own prospects are NHL ready and push Franspn out of ice time.

Simply doesn't make sense for Edmonton to make this move.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 02:01 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
You continually skip over the proof aspect in your arguments...simply because it doesn't exist. Franson is simply not enough of an upgrade to our bottom pairing to move assets we do have a future need for. Franson at best would be a stop gap solution while we wait 1 year on Klefbom(who absolutely has a better ceiling than Franson).

Even if Franson was the 3rd best (highly debatable now likely put to bed by December with Schultz, Whitney, and Perry competing for puck movers) it would be for 1a year until our own prospects are NHL ready and push Franspn out of ice time.

Simply doesn't make sense for Edmonton to make this move.
It's not a matter of skipping over proof... it's a matter of an unwillingness of Oiler fans to accept the fact that he'd be an upgrade to their blueline.

I'm not saying it makes sense to make this move for either team, I'm saying that it's ludicrous to think that Franson wouldn't be desired by the Oilers.