HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10 Greatest Pittsburgh Penguins in Franchise History (THW)

Old
08-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

vCash: 500
Yeah Jagr is number 2 and it's not even arguable at this point. Both Malkin and Crosby still have quite a way to go before they could surpass Jagr and it might never happen.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Malkin should definitely be at #4. His individual accolades dwarf everyone other than Lemieux and Jagr, and are about on par with Crosby. His 2 art rosses alone put him ahead of Francis. Francis was simply never at that level, and it's not even like he played 20 years with the penguins, he played in pittsburgh from 91-98. Malkin has almost reached that tenure and has accomplished far more.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Or the '92 Postseason Penguins.
6 games.

John Druce carried the Capitals in the playoffs more than twice as long.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 08-29-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:20 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina View Post
Yeah Jagr is number 2 and it's not even arguable at this point. Both Malkin and Crosby still have quite a way to go before they could surpass Jagr and it might never happen.
.......In the DB department.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:32 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Did someone actually call Tom Barrasso an "elite" goaltender? Because that's hilarious.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

The kid is from Bethel Park and he screwed up the list that bad. Jeeeeze.

About the Author (Author Profile)

I grew up an avid NHL hockey fan who had an undying passion for the game of hockey. To this day, I have never lost my affection for the game. All hockey games come first to me over anything else on television. I grew up in Pittsburgh playing travel hockey all over North America and Canada. I won 3 consecutive Pennsylvania Ice Hockey State Championships. Then I made my way to Juniors and played college hockey. After my hockey career ended, I graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with a bachelor's degree in English writing which prepared me to write cutting-edge hockey articles. I have a passion for writing and an even greater passion for the game of hockey. I'm always in the mood for discussing hockey and getting into intense conversations regarding any issue. Please drop me a line any time or feel free to start a discussion regarding hockey. Thank you in advance for reading my articles.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:25 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
The kid is from Bethel Park and he screwed up the list that bad. Jeeeeze.

About the Author (Author Profile)

I grew up an avid NHL hockey fan who had an undying passion for the game of hockey. To this day, I have never lost my affection for the game. All hockey games come first to me over anything else on television. I grew up in Pittsburgh playing travel hockey all over North America and Canada. I won 3 consecutive Pennsylvania Ice Hockey State Championships. Then I made my way to Juniors and played college hockey. After my hockey career ended, I graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with a bachelor's degree in English writing which prepared me to write cutting-edge hockey articles. I have a passion for writing and an even greater passion for the game of hockey. I'm always in the mood for discussing hockey and getting into intense conversations regarding any issue. Please drop me a line any time or feel free to start a discussion regarding hockey. Thank you in advance for reading my articles.
I don't know why, but the wording of that made me

Should we invite him to join our board?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Did someone actually call Tom Barrasso an "elite" goaltender? Because that's hilarious.
While you're justified hatred of Barrasso might cloud you judgement you are absolutely right. He had his moments of great play though, but lets not kid ourselves. While Pittsburgh has had probably the greatest group of offensive players in recent decades, the goaltending has been the opposite. There were moments when I was much more comfortable with Kenny Wregget in net than Tommy B, for crying out loud. He was a big part of the cup teams, especially in 1992 though.

He could be great but he could be awful too, with plenty of mediocre play in between. Sadly, Marc Andre Fleury seems to be following a similar path, hopefully he picks it back up because he has the talent to be the greatest Pens netminder.

Old
08-30-2012, 07:43 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
He could be great but he could be awful too, with plenty of mediocre play in between. Sadly, Marc Andre Fleury seems to be following a similar path, hopefully he picks it back up because he has the talent to be the greatest Pens netminder.
Vokoun already has that title and it's not even close. As you can tell, I'm not the biggest Barrasso fan either, but he was certainly elite for a couple of years. At least he was an elite puck handler and could contribute in other ways (unlike MAF). Tommy also never tripped walking onto the ice in the SCF.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:19 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
While you're justified hatred of Barrasso might cloud you judgement you are absolutely right. He had his moments of great play though, but lets not kid ourselves. While Pittsburgh has had probably the greatest group of offensive players in recent decades, the goaltending has been the opposite. There were moments when I was much more comfortable with Kenny Wregget in net than Tommy B, for crying out loud. He was a big part of the cup teams, especially in 1992 though.

Yeah I definitely hate the guy but I'll never say he wasn't a good (at times great) goalie. The only thing elite about him however is his level of jackassery.

Patrick Roy was elite. Dominik Hasek, Martin Brodeur, Ken Dryden, Terry Sawchuk, Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante. These guys are elite. That word gets thrown around way too much.

The only reason Tom Barrasso should crack our top 10 players of all time is because he was the best of a pretty mediocre group of goalies that have played for this franchise.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Yeah I definitely hate the guy but I'll never say he wasn't a good (at times great) goalie. The only thing elite about him however is his level of jackassery.

Patrick Roy was elite. Dominik Hasek, Martin Brodeur, Ken Dryden, Terry Sawchuk, Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante. These guys are elite. That word gets thrown around way too much.

The only reason Tom Barrasso should crack our top 10 players of all time is because he was the best of a pretty mediocre group of goalies that have played for this franchise.
I agree completely.

Old
08-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Lim Ran

vCash: 987
Everyones love Ron Francis, but Crosby and Malkin are #3 and #4.

Hopefully, some day, #2 and #3.

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:

It depends if you mean "elite" in any given year, or elite in the all-time sense.

To call Barrasso elite in the all-time sense would definitely not be accurate, but to call him elite for a few years surely would be.

I think Turk Broda and Clint Benedict were elite in an all-time sense, but Pete Peeters and Don Edwards had a handful seasons that could be argued as elite even though they don't typify elite goaltender.

I agree Barrasso cracks the top 10 simply because he has no competition. I wonder how good/bad he looks compared to some off the other franchise goalies from other 1967 expansion clubs.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
That's part of my whole point. We haven't had an elite goalie yet in this franchise. We've had 10 other players who have been better than Barrasso though. We shouldn't include a player as one of the top 10 just based on lack of depth at that position.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I agree Barrasso cracks the top 10 simply because he has no competition. I wonder how good/bad he looks compared to some off the other franchise goalies from other 1967 expansion clubs.
Off the top of my head the only franchise goalie of those teams from 1967 up to Barrasso's era clearly better than him was the Flyers' Bernie Parent. Rogie Vachon (Kings) and CuJo (Blues) are close but never had a similar success with their teams.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:34 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
It depends if you mean "elite" in any given year, or elite in the all-time sense.

To call Barrasso elite in the all-time sense would definitely not be accurate, but to call him elite for a few years surely would be.
Barrasso had a few good and a couple really good years for the Pens but he was never elite. His rookie season was phenomenal but that was as a Sabre so it shouldn't count towards anything same as Ronnie Franchise's years in Hartford/Carolina shouldn't count for him.

By the way...I hate Barrasso defenders. He's overrated and a jerk. Unfortunately, he's the best tender we've ever had which is a god damn shame for a franchise with 3 cups.

Old
08-31-2012, 05:00 PM
JWells16

Kevin Stevens ahead of Evgeni Malkin (especially that much higher) is ridiculous.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Human
cynic

Malkin should be #3 actually. yeah, I just said it.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote