HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10 Greatest Pittsburgh Penguins in Franchise History (THW)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-29-2012, 11:40 AM
  #51
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
Registered User
 
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: This space.
Country: Poland
Posts: 9,076
vCash: 500
Yeah Jagr is number 2 and it's not even arguable at this point. Both Malkin and Crosby still have quite a way to go before they could surpass Jagr and it might never happen.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:43 AM
  #52
Luigi Lemieux
Registered User
 
Luigi Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,114
vCash: 500
Malkin should definitely be at #4. His individual accolades dwarf everyone other than Lemieux and Jagr, and are about on par with Crosby. His 2 art rosses alone put him ahead of Francis. Francis was simply never at that level, and it's not even like he played 20 years with the penguins, he played in pittsburgh from 91-98. Malkin has almost reached that tenure and has accomplished far more.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:06 PM
  #53
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Or the '92 Postseason Penguins.
6 games.

John Druce carried the Capitals in the playoffs more than twice as long.


Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 08-29-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:20 PM
  #54
wgknestrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina View Post
Yeah Jagr is number 2 and it's not even arguable at this point. Both Malkin and Crosby still have quite a way to go before they could surpass Jagr and it might never happen.
.......In the DB department.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:32 PM
  #55
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,390
vCash: 500
Did someone actually call Tom Barrasso an "elite" goaltender? Because that's hilarious.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:55 PM
  #56
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,542
vCash: 500
The kid is from Bethel Park and he screwed up the list that bad. Jeeeeze.

About the Author (Author Profile)

I grew up an avid NHL hockey fan who had an undying passion for the game of hockey. To this day, I have never lost my affection for the game. All hockey games come first to me over anything else on television. I grew up in Pittsburgh playing travel hockey all over North America and Canada. I won 3 consecutive Pennsylvania Ice Hockey State Championships. Then I made my way to Juniors and played college hockey. After my hockey career ended, I graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with a bachelor's degree in English writing which prepared me to write cutting-edge hockey articles. I have a passion for writing and an even greater passion for the game of hockey. I'm always in the mood for discussing hockey and getting into intense conversations regarding any issue. Please drop me a line any time or feel free to start a discussion regarding hockey. Thank you in advance for reading my articles.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:25 PM
  #57
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
The kid is from Bethel Park and he screwed up the list that bad. Jeeeeze.

About the Author (Author Profile)

I grew up an avid NHL hockey fan who had an undying passion for the game of hockey. To this day, I have never lost my affection for the game. All hockey games come first to me over anything else on television. I grew up in Pittsburgh playing travel hockey all over North America and Canada. I won 3 consecutive Pennsylvania Ice Hockey State Championships. Then I made my way to Juniors and played college hockey. After my hockey career ended, I graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with a bachelor's degree in English writing which prepared me to write cutting-edge hockey articles. I have a passion for writing and an even greater passion for the game of hockey. I'm always in the mood for discussing hockey and getting into intense conversations regarding any issue. Please drop me a line any time or feel free to start a discussion regarding hockey. Thank you in advance for reading my articles.
I don't know why, but the wording of that made me

Should we invite him to join our board?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:49 PM
  #58
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
Registered User
 
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: This space.
Country: Poland
Posts: 9,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Did someone actually call Tom Barrasso an "elite" goaltender? Because that's hilarious.
While you're justified hatred of Barrasso might cloud you judgement you are absolutely right. He had his moments of great play though, but lets not kid ourselves. While Pittsburgh has had probably the greatest group of offensive players in recent decades, the goaltending has been the opposite. There were moments when I was much more comfortable with Kenny Wregget in net than Tommy B, for crying out loud. He was a big part of the cup teams, especially in 1992 though.

He could be great but he could be awful too, with plenty of mediocre play in between. Sadly, Marc Andre Fleury seems to be following a similar path, hopefully he picks it back up because he has the talent to be the greatest Pens netminder.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:43 AM
  #59
wgknestrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina View Post
He could be great but he could be awful too, with plenty of mediocre play in between. Sadly, Marc Andre Fleury seems to be following a similar path, hopefully he picks it back up because he has the talent to be the greatest Pens netminder.
Vokoun already has that title and it's not even close. As you can tell, I'm not the biggest Barrasso fan either, but he was certainly elite for a couple of years. At least he was an elite puck handler and could contribute in other ways (unlike MAF). Tommy also never tripped walking onto the ice in the SCF.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:19 AM
  #60
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina View Post
While you're justified hatred of Barrasso might cloud you judgement you are absolutely right. He had his moments of great play though, but lets not kid ourselves. While Pittsburgh has had probably the greatest group of offensive players in recent decades, the goaltending has been the opposite. There were moments when I was much more comfortable with Kenny Wregget in net than Tommy B, for crying out loud. He was a big part of the cup teams, especially in 1992 though.

He could be great but he could be awful too, with plenty of mediocre play in between. Sadly, Marc Andre Fleury seems to be following a similar path, hopefully he picks it back up because he has the talent to be the greatest Pens netminder.
Yeah I definitely hate the guy but I'll never say he wasn't a good (at times great) goalie. The only thing elite about him however is his level of jackassery.

Patrick Roy was elite. Dominik Hasek, Martin Brodeur, Ken Dryden, Terry Sawchuk, Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante. These guys are elite. That word gets thrown around way too much.

The only reason Tom Barrasso should crack our top 10 players of all time is because he was the best of a pretty mediocre group of goalies that have played for this franchise.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:10 AM
  #61
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
Registered User
 
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: This space.
Country: Poland
Posts: 9,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Yeah I definitely hate the guy but I'll never say he wasn't a good (at times great) goalie. The only thing elite about him however is his level of jackassery.

Patrick Roy was elite. Dominik Hasek, Martin Brodeur, Ken Dryden, Terry Sawchuk, Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante. These guys are elite. That word gets thrown around way too much.

The only reason Tom Barrasso should crack our top 10 players of all time is because he was the best of a pretty mediocre group of goalies that have played for this franchise.
I agree completely.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:06 AM
  #62
Lim Ran
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,660
vCash: 987
Everyones love Ron Francis, but Crosby and Malkin are #3 and #4.

Hopefully, some day, #2 and #3.

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:17 PM
  #63
Rob Scuderi
Registered User
 
Rob Scuderi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Yeah I definitely hate the guy but I'll never say he wasn't a good (at times great) goalie. The only thing elite about him however is his level of jackassery.

Patrick Roy was elite. Dominik Hasek, Martin Brodeur, Ken Dryden, Terry Sawchuk, Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante. These guys are elite. That word gets thrown around way too much.

The only reason Tom Barrasso should crack our top 10 players of all time is because he was the best of a pretty mediocre group of goalies that have played for this franchise.
It depends if you mean "elite" in any given year, or elite in the all-time sense.

To call Barrasso elite in the all-time sense would definitely not be accurate, but to call him elite for a few years surely would be.

I think Turk Broda and Clint Benedict were elite in an all-time sense, but Pete Peeters and Don Edwards had a handful seasons that could be argued as elite even though they don't typify elite goaltender.

I agree Barrasso cracks the top 10 simply because he has no competition. I wonder how good/bad he looks compared to some off the other franchise goalies from other 1967 expansion clubs.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 02:56 PM
  #64
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!
 
Jules Winnfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
The only reason Tom Barrasso should crack our top 10 players of all time is because he was the best of a pretty mediocre group of goalies that have played for this franchise.
That's part of my whole point. We haven't had an elite goalie yet in this franchise. We've had 10 other players who have been better than Barrasso though. We shouldn't include a player as one of the top 10 just based on lack of depth at that position.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:36 PM
  #65
Burgs
Registered User
 
Burgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I agree Barrasso cracks the top 10 simply because he has no competition. I wonder how good/bad he looks compared to some off the other franchise goalies from other 1967 expansion clubs.
Off the top of my head the only franchise goalie of those teams from 1967 up to Barrasso's era clearly better than him was the Flyers' Bernie Parent. Rogie Vachon (Kings) and CuJo (Blues) are close but never had a similar success with their teams.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:34 PM
  #66
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
It depends if you mean "elite" in any given year, or elite in the all-time sense.

To call Barrasso elite in the all-time sense would definitely not be accurate, but to call him elite for a few years surely would be.
Barrasso had a few good and a couple really good years for the Pens but he was never elite. His rookie season was phenomenal but that was as a Sabre so it shouldn't count towards anything same as Ronnie Franchise's years in Hartford/Carolina shouldn't count for him.

By the way...I hate Barrasso defenders. He's overrated and a jerk. Unfortunately, he's the best tender we've ever had which is a god damn shame for a franchise with 3 cups.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:00 PM
  #67
JWells16
Registered User
 
JWells16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,405
vCash: 500
Kevin Stevens ahead of Evgeni Malkin (especially that much higher) is ridiculous.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:37 PM
  #68
Human
cynic
 
Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bandwagon
Posts: 4,777
vCash: 500
Malkin should be #3 actually. yeah, I just said it.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.