HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Linus Omark signs a 1-year deal with EV Zug (Switzerland)

Old
08-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Finnpin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Are you kidding me? You want to make the NHL and this is the league you go to?
Swiss league is good. Fast paced coast to coast hockey and good salaries (for european level). Zug has young team this season and I'm sure Omark will get a top role with plenty of ice time. Zug also has old skool canadian coach.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:04 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Swiss league is good. Fast paced coast to coast hockey and good salaries (for european level). Zug has young team this season and I'm sure Omark will get a top role with plenty of ice time. Zug also has old skool canadian coach.
I'm not saying it's bad, but I don't see it being the ultimate test for Omark. I would think playing in the KHL against NHLers would be what he needs to help him make the NHL, not against lessor players.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:09 AM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

Liked him as a guy who was willing to let his feelings be known. But I think that ultimately cost him.

I'm sure he'll put up good numbers with Zug this year, followed by signing with another NHL team next off season.

Meh.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:48 AM
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!

I'm sad to see him go to different league like this, but on the other hand, I'm glad that I don't have to see Omark in trade proposal anymore.

He sure did have a lot of value eh.

SoulReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:54 AM
deckercky

Quote:
They've been trying to move his rights for months now. ST said after the draft that he let everyone know Omark was available and he didn't get a bite.
I'm sure there were lowball offers, but sometimes the asking price makes a player unavailable.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:22 PM
M3ntalpr0
Neutral fan

Quote:
I'm not saying it's bad, but I don't see it being the ultimate test for Omark. I would think playing in the KHL against NHLers would be what he needs to help him make the NHL, not against lessor players.
Omark and Johan Harju (the duo that teared apart SEL the season before this) played 1 season in Dynamo and both said that they didnt like Russia at all.

So im sure he would've gone to the KHL if he hadnt been there already.

M3ntalpr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Mcnitty
such wow

vCash: 391
I always liked Omark and I hope he returns to the NHL and lives up to his potential -- even if he's in another uniform, but I hope he returns as an Oiler.

Mcnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:15 PM
mcjukon
#McNailedIt

If it wasn't a one year deal I would be thinking the Omark saga is over. I wonder what he has against the AHL, and I wonder if Kreuger had any influence in him signing with a Swiss club.

I like the guy as a player but his attitude needs an overhaul.

mcjukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Actually he is very one dimensional (and I actually like him). His skill set is suited to be a top six winger. He has been really poor defensively at the NHl level.

Unfortunately, the Oilers have Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, and Hemsky to fill out the top six. He is not going to beat out any of those four. Then you have Smyth, Jones, Eager, Petrell, Paajarvi and Hartikanen to fill out the remaining four spots, as well as prospects like Rieder, Pitlick, Hamilton, and Zharkov in the years to come, so it is not like he will just wait around for Hemsky to leave and jump right in.

Bottomline....Not much room at the Inn. But in the right situation he could still be effective in the NHL.
You hit the nail on the head. Numbers game is what stopped Omark from making the Oilers this year.

If he comes back, he will still be Oilers property for a time, so it's a definite possibility he returns to the NHL with Edmonton but I don't see it happening unless it's elsewhere. I just don't see room for him in Edmonton now or in the future. If he becomes an NHLer, it'll be somewhere else IMO.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:21 PM
oilWILDcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Too small. Gets pushed around and is ineffective in the corners.
Protecting the puck along the boards and in the corners is actually one of his strong points. He basically lost the chance to prove himself last season with his injury after being sent down. And now with Yakupov, he knew he didn't have a spot on this team. I've always liked Omark, I hope he can find a way back in a year or two.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:16 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Is he a LW or RW?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
Then that explains it. From what i've understood throughout his career he has taken some defensive responsibilities and not just be all offense, maybe his defensive awareness just isnt good enough for the NHL. He could still improve on that though.

I would really like to see some non-playoff team like the Islanders try him out at some point.
His age is a big factor here. He is not a kid on an ELC like Paajarvi. He's 25 years old, waiver eligible and is two years from UFA status. He is also rather outspoken (I don't mind this) and has pretty much said that he only wants to play on the big team. So the only place that he can learn to play better d at this point is with the big club. He knows his chances with the Oilers are slim.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 03:20 PM
488McFitter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Is he a LW or RW?
He plays either or but was mainly RW for the Oil.

488McFitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 11:23 PM
dan1el

Not too familiar with Swiss hockey. Does EV Zug play out of Zurich? I'll be there during the season and wouldn't mind taking in a game, especially with Linus playing.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:08 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Good riddance, too selfish to be an Oiler.

BOLD MacT Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:48 AM
Belenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
Not too familiar with Swiss hockey. Does EV Zug play out of Zurich? I'll be there during the season and wouldn't mind taking in a game, especially with Linus playing.
Zug is 20 minutes away by train of Zurich or 30 minutes per car. If you are in Zurich you can also watch Marc Crawfords ZSC Lions with Gilbert Brulť, Ryan Shannon, Jeff Tambellini and Matt Lashoff. And i would go to Bern to see the biggest stadium in Europe.

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 02:51 AM
IButtersI

So long

IButtersI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:24 AM
MissingNo

This is what he says in swedish media (translated with google)

Quote:
Linus Omark are at the airport to fly to Zug in Norrbotten Courier reach him by telephone.

There is a relieved voice at the other end.

The former LuleŚ The forward has been waiting all summer for an opening in the NHL.

But because of the uncertainty surrounding a possible lockout, he decided something different.

NLA league.

And play in the European Trophy with Zug.

- They have shown interest all the time. Switzerland is a very nice country to be in, too. I've been there with the national team, Dynamo Moscow and Lulea Hockey. I like it strong, says Omark and continues:

- It will be a good life for me and my girlfriend (nyfŲrlovad). I have not had a home for two years and it feels like we get it now. I still do not know if we have apartment or house, but we'll see if it is good enough.
Moderator Edit: Added links to original article and google translation to English.

http://www.kuriren.nu/nyheter/defaul...icleid=6528002

http://translate.google.ca/translate...528002&act=url

Last edited by spiny norman: 08-30-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added links, please do not post entire articles
MissingNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:31 AM
Whydidijoin*

But... but... I thought he was a superstar because of one mediocre shootout move!

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 04:25 AM
MissingNo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
But... but... I thought he was a superstar because of one mediocre shootout move!

I can not understand why you Americans and Canadians can only see him for his shootout goals, but why he did not manage to get a place in Edmonton, I can understand.

Have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7uCL...ature=g-user-u

MissingNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingNo View Post
I can not understand why you Americans and Canadians can only see him for his shootout goals, but why he did not manage to get a place in Edmonton, I can understand.

Because highlight packages really show who a player is.

Hell, it's not even all from the NHL. And there wasn't all that much impressive anyway.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

That was a well made video.

It does show that Linus has the raw skill. I think he may have felt a little too entitled though.

He will either be back with a different team or in the KHL in a couple years.

Wish him the best.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Superpest
Undrafted Free Agent

I remember saying he was Rob Schremp 2.0 and getting flamed by Oilers fans.

Superpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 05:34 PM

I wonder what the $$$/game is, I hear some guys do really well in the Swiss league considering the work load.

604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 05:42 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingNo View Post

He couild not play every shift at the level needed and could not do the little things that it takes to stay inm the nhl

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote