HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Off-season Armchair GM Thread Part IX

Old
08-30-2012, 04:32 PM
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
What Easy said is probably close to the case. They are not going to drop the cap without some kind of way to adjust that for teams over the cap already. They've already mentioned somedthing to do with the players escrow accounts. The Sharks may not need to shed any payroll at all realistically.
I agree.

If they calculate cap hits on an 85% basis while not touching salary, the Sharks are at $55.4M, a full $2.5M under the cap. 90% and we have to start looking at trimming the fat. But realistically, 85% seems like a good number as no teams will be in much of a crunch. Still, we're easily in the top 5 worst cap positions today and I firmly believe we'll have one more signing to go (which further complicates things).

RammsteinGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 05:09 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RammsteinGT View Post
I agree.

If they calculate cap hits on an 85% basis while not touching salary, the Sharks are at $55.4M, a full $2.5M under the cap. 90% and we have to start looking at trimming the fat. But realistically, 85% seems like a good number as no teams will be in much of a crunch. Still, we're easily in the top 5 worst cap positions today and I firmly believe we'll have one more signing to go (which further complicates things).
I checked capgeek and the Sharks have a 20man roster. Most other teams are at 22 or 23. I checked all teams and used 22 as the roster for those teams under 22 as a proposed forward-going roster. There are 13 spots that need to be filled to bring all teams to 22. The Sharks are behind the eightball.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I checked capgeek and the Sharks have a 20man roster. Most other teams are at 22 or 23. I checked all teams and used 22 as the roster for those teams under 22 as a proposed forward-going roster. There are 13 spots that need to be filled to bring all teams to 22. The Sharks are behind the eightball.

I thought capgeek said they had 21 when I checked it earlier today.

Tkachuk4MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:07 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
I thought capgeek said they had 21 when I checked it earlier today.
Thanks.

I checked it about a week ago and couldn't recall any new signings. I see that they have now put McCarthy in a roster slot. I don't think that will hold for long.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:22 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Thanks.

I checked it about a week ago and couldn't recall any new signings. I see that they have now put McCarthy in a roster slot. I don't think that will hold for long.
Yah but realistically 1 forward and 1 d-man from Worcester will likely make the cut (Barring more signings). Oleksuk, Stalberg, Irwin, Pelech, Tennyson, etc.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:47 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 137
Perhaps it's already been summarized and I missed it… but can anyone give me a really dumbed down reason as to why the players association would agree to this?

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings ...

vCash: 1004
paycheck > no paycheck

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:51 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Perhaps it's already been summarized and I missed it… but can anyone give me a really dumbed down reason as to why the players association would agree to this?
don't think they will agree to it as is...

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
Go read it again HM... Never said that...Dont throw me in the noose with you...

My point still remains: Those who say Demers has a higher offensive ceiling are just wrong..You cant compare Demers and Brauns limited NHL action against each other..But you can compare their AHL/QM/UMass stats..And the stats says Braun produced .63ppg in college/AHL. Demers#'s at the Q/AHL puts him at .63ppg. Demers played 103 games in the AHL, Braun 44. Point being Braun is progressing faster than Demers. Braun's offensive upside is at worse equal to that of Demers.
lol what? You can't compare their production at the NHL level that they play at and will play at going forward but you can compare their junior/collegiate numbers and draw some conclusion to it? That may seem logical to you but it just doesn't work when it comes to pro sports.

Braun may be progressing faster in terms from last year to now but that doesn't mean much. Your opinion that he's got more potential is certainly arguable but people who believe Demers has a higher ceiling aren't wrong and you can't really prove it otherwise and the stats you bring certainly don't help you in that regard because it is irrelevant at this level.

In terms of offensive potential, you can say what you want but Demers had a poor year by most people's standards and still out-produced Braun in similar minutes when Braun was having a good year AND while playing 9 less games.

Last edited by Pinkfloyd: 08-31-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:14 AM
sharski

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
they won't agree to THIS offer, but in the end they'll be the ones to cave...

when the 1% negotiates against the 2%, the 1% always wins and of course the 98% come crawling back on our hands and knees begging for them to take our money

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 03:01 AM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Demers has the best chance at sticking because he isn't likely to dip much and may exceed expectations.

Braun has an excellent chance to supersede Demers, but could also dip and fall further than I ever expect Demers to fall.

Only those who personally interact with them have a realistic gauge on which outcome is more likely.

There’s a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. It’s a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, I’d take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Led Zappa: 08-31-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:52 AM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
don't think they will agree to it as is...
Seems worse than the original proposal, but I guess I'm missing something. I've seen player tweets that make it seem like it's a win, and talk seems to have shifted from lockout to salary caps.

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:06 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
....1 d-man from Worcester will likely make the cut (Barring more signings). Oleksuk, Stalberg, Irwin, Pelech, Tennyson, etc.
Boyle
Burns
Vlasic
Stuart
Murray
Braun
Demers

No room for a D-man from Worcester right now.

CupfortheSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:17 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
Boyle
Burns
Vlasic
Stuart
Murray
Braun
Demers

No room for a D-man from Worcester right now.
... go back and read the post. I was refering to the '20 man roster' issue, as in we don't 'need' to acquire a #7 dman because a Worcester player will likely be given a shot at that.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:13 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
... go back and read the post. I was refering to the '20 man roster' issue, as in we don't 'need' to acquire a #7 dman because a Worcester player will likely be given a shot at that.
We don't need to acquire a 7th defenseman because we have 7 on the roster already, yeah?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:20 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
We don't need to acquire a 7th defenseman because we have 7 on the roster already, yeah?
Holy crap you guys!

Let me lay this out for you...

Someone mentioned trading Boyle

I said we don't need to trade Boyle, we could trade Murray+Handzus and possibly Clowe.

Easy pointed out we only have a 20 man roster as is, if we lose those guys we'd have a difficult job filling a roster.

I pointed out in that situation we would at least likely fill 2 spots with Worcester guys.

OK!? yikes.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:32 PM
CBJenga

Quote:
Holy crap you guys!

I said we don't need to trade Boyle, we could trade Murray+Handzus and possibly Clowe.

Easy pointed out we only have a 20 man roster as is, if we lose those guys we'd have a difficult job filling a roster.

I pointed out in that situation we would at least likely fill 2 spots with Worcester guys.

OK!? yikes.

NO! How dare you provide context! People might know what's going on!!!!

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:39 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJenga View Post
NO! How dare you provide context! People might know what's going on!!!!
I figured the thread itself provided context... but I guess not.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:40 PM
hateseed
TentacleGrapeSoda

vCash: 116

hateseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:32 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Holy crap you guys!

OK!? yikes.
Sorry, I didn't get the context, obviously. Yeah, if Boyle/Murray were traded, I'd expect a Worcester kid to get the #7 role.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:54 PM
WTFetus

A part of me would rather have someone like Vandermeer as the 7th, but another part of me is really interested to see how Pelech, Irwin, etc. do in the NHL. Pelech was always my 6th in my SC winning teams in Be A GM.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:27 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
A part of me would rather have someone like Vandermeer as the 7th, but another part of me is really interested to see how Pelech, Irwin, etc. do in the NHL. Pelech was always my 6th in my SC winning teams in Be A GM.
I've never seen anything useful in Vandermeer no matter where he has played. On another note, there is always the waiver wire to pick additional players up.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Oh god the annual Spezza vs Thornton debate is happening again. When will it ever end.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:46 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
Oh god the annual Spezza vs Thornton debate is happening again. When will it ever end.
When one wins a cup maybe?

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 05:52 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharski View Post
they won't agree to THIS offer, but in the end they'll be the ones to cave...

when the 1% negotiates against the 2%, the 1% always wins and of course the 98% come crawling back on our hands and knees begging for them to take our money
Those despicable owners, forcing even the most marginal NHLer to eke out an existence on a mere $525K annual salary for a maximum of 9 months work.

NHL Players of the World, Unite. You have nothing to lose but your chains!

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote