HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton extends Jordan Eberle [6 Years/$6M per]

Old
08-30-2012, 06:32 PM
DJOpus

vCash: 500
I'd take Eberle on that deal.

Much better than the Hall deal IMO (because of Hall's injury history - it's tough to have $6M on the sidelines too often).

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:32 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I wish that young players like Skinner and Eberle would take a discount if they're being given a nice long deal like Turris.

Eberle's the most intriguing of the bunch though, he's a bit sheltered but I'd be really curious to see how he holds his own when being played in any situation, I know Hall based on his type of game will succeed and have similar or higher production but I wanna know how Eberle will do against tougher match-ups now.

I think Eberle will do well in any situation provided his team mates do as well. Eberle is a guy who does what he does because he is a very high hockey IQ player and has exceptional hands. He knows where to be and can finish when he gets there. Haven't seen Yakupov but Eberle has the best hands between he, hall and RNH, and his backhand is just sublime.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:35 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
Theres just no way this happens. It wont work for the league without a rollback or some other system that takes into account current deals.
sprotsnet was talking about escrow if rollbcks happen

karnige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorchang View Post
Only knock on this deal is if cap goes to 58mill without rollback. 25 mil locked up in 4 players? 45% of a cap in 4 players? yeesh.
I don't think you really understand what the NHL pitched.

The structure proposed by the NHL has the cap resetting to $58 million next year, but has the cap going back to $70 million again in like 4 years.

These extensions for both Hall and Eberle do not even kick in until the season after this one so what they factor in vs. a $58 million cap is irrelevant.

By the time all of Yakupov and RNH and Eberle and Hall are re-upped on their ELCs the cap will be back to $70 million even under the NHL's first counter proposal (no doubt the NHLPA will counter propose a higher cap ceiling, they're not just going to take the NHL's first counter proposal, lol).

Teams that are up against the cap for next season are the ones who are screwed.

I'll gladly take all 4 of them locked up at $24 mill on a $70 mill cap.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:53 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

I don't understand why Eberle would sign anything longer than 4 years or not at least get the Oiler premium for playing in Edmonton. He's worth $6M a year so he should have gotten $7M a year at least.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
I don't understand why Eberle would sign anything longer than 4 years or not at least get the Oiler premium for playing in Edmonton. He's worth $6M a year so he should have gotten $7M a year at least.
He wants to stay and play in Edmonton with all the other young talent there, namely Taylor Hall.

Tavares re-upped with the Islanders and no offence to the Isle, but they don't have multiple players of the caliber of Hall/Yakupov/RNH for Tavares to play with, nor do they have a guaranteed (basically) new arena coming and franchise stability.

Old
08-30-2012, 06:57 PM
BrawlFan

Turris: plays for a playoff team and is a 2nd line center, gets 3.5 = overpayment.

Eberle: 42 pts last year, plays on the wing of a last place team, has done nothing to warrant this salary, gets 6 = good deal.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:59 PM
BrawlFan

The Hall and Eberle deals are by far the most ridiculous deals signed this summer. Including the Weber/Suter/Parise deals.

These are gonna kill the Oilers soon mark my words. FFS the guy has 42 points.

Old
08-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
Turris: plays for a playoff team and is a 2nd line center, gets 3.5 = overpayment.

Eberle: 42 pts last year, plays on the wing of a last place team, has done nothing to warrant this salary, gets 6 = good deal.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Huh? Eberle got way more than 42 points ...

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:02 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
He wants to stay and play in Edmonton with all the other young talent there, namely Taylor Hall.
There are lots of teams that have better players he can play with and in four season he could pick which ever one he wants.

Quote:
Tavares re-upped with the Islanders and no offence to the Isle, but they don't have multiple players of the caliber of Hall/Yakupov/RNH for Tavares to play with, nor do they have a guaranteed (basically) new arena coming and franchise stability.
But Edmonton isn't Long Island. Hell Tavares has two division rivals that might be closer to him than the airport in Edmonton is to Eberle.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:04 PM
BrawlFan

w.e. guys. I think this deal is terrible. 6M for guys who havent shown a single flash of playoff success but I guess we have different standards for success.

Old
08-30-2012, 07:05 PM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 695
Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
That's a pretty huge fail right there.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:06 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Obviously he's joking.....I think.....I hope....

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:06 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
He had 42 assists. Of course on top of those apples, Eberle had 5 more goals that Turris had points last year.

Apparently BrawlHand has problems making sense of the tables on hockeydb.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

How did Karlsson win the Norris with 45 pts?

So confused. This is 2011 right?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:10 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
First off Eberle had 76 (34G 42A) points last year not 42. He was an NHL All Star and finished 2nd in votes for the Lady Byng trophy.

And not that Turris has anything to do with this conversation, don't know why you felt the need to bring him up, but Turris' career totals 75pts...

08-30-2012, 07:10 PM
senorchang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I don't think you really understand what the NHL pitched.

The structure proposed by the NHL has the cap resetting to $58 million next year, but has the cap going back to $70 million again in like 4 years.

These extensions for both Hall and Eberle do not even kick in until the season after this one so what they factor in vs. a $58 million cap is irrelevant.

By the time all of Yakupov and RNH and Eberle and Hall are re-upped on their ELCs the cap will be back to $70 million even under the NHL's first counter proposal (no doubt the NHLPA will counter propose a higher cap ceiling, they're not just going to take the NHL's first counter proposal, lol).

Teams that are up against the cap for next season are the ones who are screwed.

I'll gladly take all 4 of them locked up at $24 mill on a $70 mill cap.
I did not know that. Thank you soundwave.

senorchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Eberle had 76 points last year, he was 12th in NHL scoring.

Really like this deal, now that Hall and Eberle make 6M, nobody else can ask for more than that. Hopefully Hall stays healthy next year and people will see why Tambellini made these deals.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:11 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 5013
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
w.e. guys. I think this deal is terrible. 6M for guys who havent shown a single flash of playoff success but I guess we have different standards for success.
Yeah, Eberle has been a complete joke when the pressure is on, such as in World Championship games and such. Just an awful track record...

If anyone on the Oilers is gonna light it up in the playoffs, all my money would be on Eberle.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
Eberle had 76 points last year, he was 12th in NHL scoring.

Really like this deal, now that Hall and Eberle make 6M, nobody else can ask for more than that. Hopefully Hall stays healthy next year and people will see why Tambellini made these deals.
75+ pts

Oh editted lol

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:16 PM
ejams

Eberle has incredible hands. He can score in tight by pulling the puck back and flipping it behind the goalie WITH HIS LEGS IN THE AIR BEHIND HIM.

He is always in the right place at the right time.

I don't think I've noticed a player losing their hands with age. They lose legs, but not their hands and hockey sense.

He is golden and will only get better as his linemates get better.

Summary: Awesome contract.

EDIT: Not to mention how friggin' clutch this guy is. He will be our Conn Smythe winner in the future no doubt.

ejams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:20 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Eberle is probably the most complete and one if the most skilled youngsters in the NHL. Only on HFboards is this a bad signing. The clowns here would trash signing Gretzky during his prime for league minimum.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Stephen

Edmonton's rewarding their kids as if the whole group has already proven something. The Eberle contract is better than the Hall deal though.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Edmonton's rewarding their kids as if the whole group has already proven something. The Eberle contract is better than the Hall deal though.
It's less about that and more about getting these kids locked up for their prime years in their 20s and have cost certainty with your payroll.

There's not a single GM in the NHL who would not take either Hall or Eberle onto their roster for these contracts.

Old
08-30-2012, 07:23 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post
Eberle has incredible hands. He can score in tight by pulling the puck back and flipping it behind the goalie WITH HIS LEGS IN THE AIR BEHIND HIM.

He is always in the right place at the right time.

I don't think I've noticed a player losing their hands with age. They lose legs, but not their hands and hockey sense.
Players definitely lose their hands as they age. But that doesn't start until their mid-30s, so it's completely irrelevant to Eberle and this contract.

I honestly really like what the Oilers have done here. They've recognized that they have a potentially problematic situation of having too many good players whose contracts could pose a major hurdle down the road to the franchise's overall health if they weren't set in stone now, while they can still be managed. Whether they're slight overpays or not doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. The bottom line is that they've just given themselves a pretty damn large window to grow as a group and potentially win at the highest levels.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote