HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THN picks the Blues to finish 1st in the West

Old
08-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 500
THN picks the Blues to finish 1st in the West

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ions-No-2.html

They just revealed Vancouver as the #2, which means that the Blues are #1. Thoughts?

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:23 AM
jura
booze & blues

vCash: 50
not bad

jura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:29 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I want the Cup.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:34 AM
ManyIdeas

Hows their track record for predictions?

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 02:42 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

I'm not saying this to be a Jerk, but who cares. I want the season to start.

Again I'm not ripping this thread.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 03:22 PM
The Note
Overrated

It's nice to see that the Blues are re-emerging as a contender in people's eyes but it won't mean much if they don't play this year.

The Note is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 03:23 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Id rather be the underdog but it is nice seeing us get some recognition. But as others said, all I want is for the season to start on time.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:38 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

The Canucks can have 1st in the West/President's Trophy again. I want the Cup, and I want the season to start on time as well.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 06:23 PM
oPlaiD

Blues should be the favorites.

They were the best possession team last season and that's the best predictor of future performance, and there's no reason to think that will change considering they are returning their key players and should expect more minutes from strong possession guys like Alex Steen next year.

The Blues won't ever be an underdog for the next five years, and nor should they.

It's time to stop being underdogs and start being the dominating team everyone is afraid to play and hates. The Blues should become the new Red Wings

Granted, it'll take a Cup win or two to really get there.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

I still have Vancouver over the Blues, even with the weakened division. In particular if Schnieder plays well and they can parlay Lou in to something useful.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Also, I have some concerns if the NHL goes back to 2006 levels of penalty enforcement as they have been rumored to do.
While the Blues are not as egregious with holding/interfering as they have been made out to be on these boards, they are more active with that than, say, Vancouver or similar teams.

Sure it would benefit the aggressive forecheck, but Jackman would be overly-exposed again which could create some issues and the traditionally inconsistent power play would be another set of issues.

Old
08-25-2012, 03:26 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Also, I have some concerns if the NHL goes back to 2006 levels of penalty enforcement as they have been rumored to do.
While the Blues are not as egregious with holding/interfering as they have been made out to be on these boards, they are more active with that than, say, Vancouver or similar teams.

Sure it would benefit the aggressive forecheck, but Jackman would be overly-exposed again which could create some issues and the traditionally inconsistent power play would be another set of issues.
I think the Blues are poised to add some offensive flair with the addition of Tarasenko and the maturation of Perron (healthy), Oshie and Berglund. Yeah, those guys are still not at their peak. I think we'll see a team that's top 10 in scoring again, but just as painful to play against defensively.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I think the Blues are poised to add some offensive flair with the addition of Tarasenko and the maturation of Perron (healthy), Oshie and Berglund. Yeah, those guys are still not at their peak. I think we'll see a team that's top 10 in scoring again, but just as painful to play against defensively.
While I agree the Blues should have a more offensive team this year (I suspect Stewart does improve on last year, a healthy Perron and McDonald [as long as the latter lasts], Tarasenko should outstrip Arnott's production, etc.) my point is if the NHL does crack down as much as some media members have indicated they will that could spell trouble for the Blues.
The Blues are effective when playing ahead (as I am sure you well know) but are not as much playing catch-up. Additionally with the often barely-repressed desire from the officials to "Even-up" things when a team is leading in the third coupled with the Blues more defensive style...I can see penalties being a real issue.

Now hopefully, the NHL realizes 2008 or so was about the best balance of calls allowing the Blues should thrive in that environment, in particular if the powerplay really clicks.

Just a reason why I am slightly less than completely confident the Blues will be in the top 2 in the West.

Old
08-26-2012, 08:49 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

It's nice to see on paper but count myself as another Blues Fan that wants to see the season start October 11th, then the Blues going out and getting that top Shutdown Defender to go with Alex P. If not, the Blues by not filling that massive crater will fall in the 2nd round of the playoffs again, IMO.

Last edited by JustOneB4IDie: 08-27-2012 at 07:19 AM.
JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:09 AM
stlweir

A good reflction that the Blues are now recognized as an upper tier team. The Blues are one of the best skating teams in the league. Let's jus hope we get t see them play.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:59 PM
jarmoismyhero

Personally wish they would have them ranked like 7th or something. I never like it when teams are predicted to be that good. I am just like that though. Something wierd about me. Hate it when Cards are predicted to win it all and now Blues same thing. Dont have to worry about any Rams predictions for couple years.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote