HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HARBORcenter Thread

Old
08-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Um...what?

The project is getting PILOT and brownfield tax credits. Pegula is funding it from his resources.

A lot of people think "tax credits" means the Government pays tax payer money to businesses. It's weird.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:09 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Bills owner Ralph Wilson is hospitalized, though doing well I have heard - just thought I would put that out there. It would make sense for the Bills to be under such great ownership that the Sabres are.

On topic, this location is looking more and more desirable. When I come into town for games, I realize that this city is missing something. Maybe this is just what the city needs.

And more Tim Horton's that taste Canadian, sorry guys

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Takeo

Developing that block is great news. Although I have to think there are more productive options than ice rinks. It's cute and all, but come on..

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Developing that block is great news. Although I have to think there are more productive options than ice rinks. It's cute and all, but come on..
And those would be what exactly? It's a hotel, parking and double pad complex that is privately funded. Feel free to find another project that actually has some merit and is privately funded in downtown for that location.

08-30-2012, 08:01 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Yeah, I guess people enjoy looking at ratty abandoned buildings.

I just drove through an area of the city I never have before. The area north the west side but south of Riverside off Military. Quite the ghetto down there, they even have a completely idiotic and nonsensical street layout with tons of one-ways, and three point intersections.
Ahh Blackrock/Riverside....spent a few years playing hockey there for Bud Bakewell among numerous other organizations.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:26 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
its a black hole down there, anything at this point is productive IMO....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:28 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Yep. Two ice sheets with an attached hotel and retail space to draw foot traffic are TERRIBLE ideas.

/sarcasm

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:36 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Yep. Two ice sheets with an attached hotel and retail space to draw foot traffic are TERRIBLE ideas.

/sarcasm
Exactly.

As said before with that poster... Consider the source. This idea and model is a win on multiple levels. Maybe comprehending this is rather difficult for some

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Insomniac99

Quote:
I totally agree. We should put something more useful there like a parking lot or something...

/sarcasm

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:07 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
I think Takeo was referring to something more than just a handful of times a year, like a 5-7 day a week attraction. At least, that's what I took from his comment.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:42 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
I think Takeo was referring to something more than just a handful of times a year, like a 5-7 day a week attraction. At least, that's what I took from his comment.
Yea, because retail space is only open during games

Oh, and the parking will only be used during games

And of course the ice rinks and hotel will only be used a few times a year

After all, the waterfront is not at all developing, it won't ever attract people to the area year round

Consider. The. Source.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:31 AM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Ice rinks are better than a parking lot, but they're not the blue chips some people are suggesting

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 07:27 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Ice rinks are better than a parking lot, but they're not the blue chips some people are suggesting
They are certainly better than another bland mixed use residential/office space building. The city already has a ton of those.

Old
08-31-2012, 07:29 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Between Sabres practices, Canisus hockey games, tournaments, and private rentals, those rinks are going to be booked pretty solid almost every day of the year.

Old
08-31-2012, 08:32 AM
sabregoat

From August thru the end of March, the rinks will be booked from 6am to at least midnight every Saturday and Sunday. Mon - friday they will be booked from 4 pm til closing. This is just youth hockey whose parents have to drive them. From 6 am to 4 pm, they will have a tougher time selling but they should get 50% or more from colleges, open ice, field trips, etc. From april thru July will be from about 8 am to 11 pm booked and weekends andduring the week, I am sure threre will be plenty of clinics.

Now throw in figure skating, short track speed skating, broom ball, maybe some curling. The advantage that they will have over all the others is that it is new and run by the sabres. It will be the top choice among youth hockey teams. There is a big shortage of available ice time in WNY with the facilities that are needed. Leisure and Holiday are bith very old rinks that need alot of updating. Has anyone ever seen the size of the loker rooms? Just imagine 18 midgets(15-18 years old) who are trying to change into their hockey gear in a room that is about 12 x 15 with a post in the middle.

sabregoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:56 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

There won't be curling there unless they do a bonspiel. Takes too much time to prep the ice for it.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:58 AM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Quote:
They are certainly better than another bland mixed use residential/office space building. The city already has a ton of those.
That's more dependent on whatever offices would go inside, as well as whatever architect could be farmed out.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
There won't be curling there unless they do a bonspiel. Takes too much time to prep the ice for it.
With our proclivity for beer and pub food, I'm surprised we don't have more curling rinks 'round here.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:08 AM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabregoat View Post
From August thru the end of March, the rinks will be booked from 6am to at least midnight every Saturday and Sunday. Mon - friday they will be booked from 4 pm til closing. This is just youth hockey whose parents have to drive them. From 6 am to 4 pm, they will have a tougher time selling but they should get 50% or more from colleges, open ice, field trips, etc. From april thru July will be from about 8 am to 11 pm booked and weekends andduring the week, I am sure threre will be plenty of clinics.

Now throw in figure skating, short track speed skating, broom ball, maybe some curling. The advantage that they will have over all the others is that it is new and run by the sabres. It will be the top choice among youth hockey teams. There is a big shortage of available ice time in WNY with the facilities that are needed. Leisure and Holiday are bith very old rinks that need alot of updating. Has anyone ever seen the size of the loker rooms? Just imagine 18 midgets(15-18 years old) who are trying to change into their hockey gear in a room that is about 12 x 15 with a post in the middle.
And all of those people need to eat and shop. So you're going to have all these families from all over the US, that would not be here except for the fact that the extra ice allowed them to have an event, pouring money into the local economy. These rinks give out of towners reasons to come here.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:09 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
With our proclivity for beer and pub food, I'm surprised we don't have more curling rinks 'round here.
Closest ones are Niagara Falls, ON, like 5 minutes over the border, and Rochester. I curl in Niagara Falls, and I agree, I wish there was more on this side of the river.

One of the directors of the Canadian club I go to is trying to get a club started in Buffalo, but just can't seem to get enough interest to get it off the ground. Kinda stinks.

(For those of you that don't know, one of the cardinal rules of recreational curling is that the winning team always buys the first round of drinks for the losing team. I DEFINITELY have never thrown a game to get a free beer.....yeah...:p )

Old
08-31-2012, 10:33 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Actually they will be nice money makers. Most of the top money making events events in the Buffalo area are amateur sport tournaments and events.

This project would essentially give the Sabres a 3 rink facility to host hockey tournaments. The hotels downtown would benefit greatly from this. There is no way the hotel thats part of the project would be able to hold the amount of families that would be coming in for a tournament.

As for not being blue chip. I think thats more a product of a lack of understanding of the money that can be generated from the events its could host and the demand for ice in this area.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:37 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Can you imagine the greatness of playing your hockey game at 4 in the afternoon, undressing and walking across the street to watch the Sabres?

Can anybody speak to this: how do we figure the rinks will be booked? I think there are plenty of good rinks, rinks that will likely be cheaper, around town with vacancies, are there not?

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:39 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Can you imagine the greatness of playing your hockey game at 4 in the afternoon, undressing and walking across the street to watch the Sabres?

Can anybody speak to this: how do we figure the rinks will be booked? I think there are plenty of good rinks, rinks that will likely be cheaper, around town with vacancies, are there not?
Are you asking if this will create vacancies at other rinks?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:44 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Are you asking if this will create vacancies at other rinks?
No, whether or not they'll be able to fill these rinks. They have some good competition around town in terms of cheap places to play.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
There is a shortage of icetime locally. If this means people aren't at Holiday or Northtown to play at midnight any more, so be it. But there are a lot of under-served teams out there and more ice is a good thing.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote