HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Edmonton extends Jordan Eberle [6 Years/$6M per]

Old
08-30-2012, 09:32 PM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Oilers won't be able to sign the fab 4 to contracts. It will be impossible to do so under the cap.
It will be after Buffalo finally offer sheets one.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:34 PM
HavlatMach9

The contract is a bargain, he got suckered into taking the same deal as Hall, it'd make him look greedy if he asked for more than his buddies

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:34 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
It will be after Buffalo finally offer sheets one.
Good luck with that.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:35 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Fact: Minnesota currently spends just under 22 million on THREE forwards and still pays Suter 7.5 mil and Backstrum 6 and has good support players in every position so stop with the dollar talks because your flat out wrong.
No. YOU'RE wrong. (correct spelling of you're btw)

I am not convinced that Minnesota will be as good as others think. They don't really have depth at any position, but that's OK. I guess we will see. Predicting how a team's cap situation will be in 3 years is a little silly I guess. We will see what happens. The fact of the matter is that the Oilers just spent 6 years and 36 million of guaranteed money on a player who has played on a 62 point pace in two injury shortened seasons. With all of that guaranteed money, you are relying strictly on the player's ability to motivate himself solely on winning alone. He is human. We will see how that one turns out.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:37 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post

I am not convinced that Minnesota will be as good as others think. They don't really have depth at any position, but that's OK. I guess we will see. Predicting how a team's cap situation will be in 3 years is a little silly I guess. We will see what happens. The fact of the matter is that the Oilers just spent 6 years and 36 million of guaranteed money on a player who has played on a 62 point pace in two injury shortened seasons. With all of that guaranteed money, you are relying strictly on the player's ability to motivate himself solely on winning alone. He is human. We will see how that one turns out.
It doesn't matter good Minnesota will be. It matters that they comfortably have those contracts. That's it.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Soundwave

Quote:

You gotta know the people you're dealing with when making an investment like this.

Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle live, eat, breathe hockey though. These guys sit at home playing NHL 12 against each other when they're not at the rink. I don't think money is that big of a change.

Honestly for Taylor Hall, his contract which locks him up for basically most of his 20s is just a shade over a $2 million pay raise over what he was already getting paid on his ELC. Hardly some monstrous pay raise really.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:39 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
Agreed.

The wiser option IMHO, would've been to sell off two top 10 first round picks for a sniper that will be gone to free agency before the team makes the playoffs.

Glass houses and such.
haha... while the kessel deal hasn't really worked out so far for Burke, I really don't think it's my glass house. Contrary to unpopular belief, I didn't actually orchestrate the Kessel trade.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:40 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Oilers just spent 6 years and 36 million of guaranteed money on a player who has played on a 62 point pace in two injury shortened seasons.
It doesn't take Einstein to figure out that Hall will produce at the level of a 6m player next season, and every season after, if he gets injured, insurance pays for it, it's a bit pre-emptive but what's the big deal? Eberle is worth more than 6m, that should be obvious.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:43 PM
SenzZen
Rik Norris

Congrats to both sides.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:49 PM
BK201

I think it's a good signing just like I said in the Turris signing thread people don't seem to be understanding the cost of young good talent these days.

There also may be salary roll backs so the contracts could go cheaper soon then signed.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:49 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
It doesn't matter good Minnesota will be. It matters that they comfortably have those contracts. That's it.
Well that certainly isn't the only thing that matters. The ability for Edmonton to build a team matters as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
You gotta know the people you're dealing with when making an investment like this.

Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle live, eat, breathe hockey though. These guys sit at home playing NHL 12 against each other when they're not at the rink. I don't think money is that big of a change.

Honestly for Taylor Hall, his contract which locks him up for basically most of his 20s is just a shade over a $2 million pay raise over what he was already getting paid on his ELC. Hardly some monstrous pay raise really.
It's not so much the money as the term that could prove to be detrimental. I agree with you that the Oilers management probably feel that these two are guys that are good people that want to win at all costs.

However, Jay Boumeester was probably thought of that way. Wade Redden, Scott Gomez, Dion Phaneuf, Ville Leino, Mike Cammalleri, Vincent Lecavalier, Mike Komisarek, and Keith Ballard were all considered good people and guys that eat and breathe hockey as well. Then things quickly changed once they got their paydays and the perception of them changed. We will see what happens obviously, and I am not even trying to suggest that they are necessarily bad contracts. They are just risky ones is all. (well the Hall one is anyways)

Old
08-30-2012, 09:51 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
It doesn't take Einstein to figure out that Hall will produce at the level of a 6m player next season, and every season after, if he gets injured, insurance pays for it, it's a bit pre-emptive but what's the big deal? Eberle is worth more than 6m, that should be obvious.
Maybe we have different ideas of what a 6m player is, but if Hall continues to produce at this pace, he will not be worth 6 mil IMO. That means that the Oilers paid for potential. You always have to pay for potential. However, they paid for potential with term as well. 7 mil at 2-3 years would have been a better deal IMO.

Old
08-30-2012, 09:52 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorchang View Post
Only knock on this deal is if cap goes to 58mill without rollback. 25 mil locked up in 4 players? 45% of a cap in 4 players? yeesh.
then 80% of the teams in the league would be hooped. If the cap is reduced, salarys will be rolled back to reflect that. It happened last time, it will happen this time as well.

That is the least educated reason to knock the Oilers young stars contract extensions that I have read yet.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:54 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Maybe we have different ideas of what a 6m player is, but if Hall continues to produce at this pace, he will not be worth 6 mil IMO. That means that the Oilers paid for potential. You always have to pay for potential. However, they paid for potential with term as well. 7 mil at 2-3 years would have been a better deal IMO.
And then what, If he hits his potential (40-50G & 40-50 A) by the 2nd or 3rd year of that deal how much do you have to pay him then?

8.5-9 mil long term.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Reminded me of this

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:05 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
The contract is a bargain, he got suckered into taking the same deal as Hall, it'd make him look greedy if he asked for more than his buddies
Why should Eberle get more than Hall? Hall is better.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:38 PM
McArthur

Quote:

Minnesota line 1 has guarenteed success already, if line 2 can pull their weight, they are a team pushing 6-9 overall in the west next year. Growing pains still coming in Edmonton, best thing that could happen is a lockout. Competing with 2-3 more newbs, while line 1 earns stripes, is not a recipe for success, but who really knows

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:15 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

Might be worth it in a couple years...but thats too much for him right now. Gonna be interesting to see what happens with the big 4 (Hall, Ebs, RNH, Yaks) with these new deals and if/when the cap goes way down.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Roland of Gilead
The Gunslinger

vCash: 580
Quote:
The contract is a bargain
Bargain? 6M/year? Seems like someone has too much cash to spend. 6M? Must be a joke....

Roland of Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:39 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
And then what, If he hits his potential (40-50G & 40-50 A) by the 2nd or 3rd year of that deal how much do you have to pay him then?

8.5-9 mil long term.
Then you unload the truck and give him the term. 8 mil no trade with term. However, the chances of him becoming a 100 point player would be his ABSOLUTE potential. Most players don't hit that.

Old
08-30-2012, 11:45 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
Minnesota line 1 has guarenteed success already, if line 2 can pull their weight, they are a team pushing 6-9 overall in the west next year. Growing pains still coming in Edmonton, best thing that could happen is a lockout. Competing with 2-3 more newbs, while line 1 earns stripes, is not a recipe for success, but who really knows
The minny first line is not guaranteed success. We have absolutely no idea what they are going to look like together. Nothing is guaranteed in the NHL. Although I like their offense, I don't know that they have the depth to be a playoff team let alone a contender.

Not to mention an injury to Parise or Suter probably puts them into the lower ranks of a tough Western Conference.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:00 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
yeah just like the power line by the avs a few years ago huh.....

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:05 AM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Why should Eberle get more than Hall? Hall is better.
Ummm, maybe in the future, but certainly not yet. I'll wait until Hall has as good of a season as Eberle just had before making such a claim.

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:07 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
SEDINS are making 6.1mil, kesler is making 5m, burrows is making 2m.

These so called "clowns" are trying to figure out how a young talent who COULD be a superstar, could get SUPERSTAR money already.
What you clowns don't understand is that those contracts weren't signed this offseason; they were signed when the cap wasn't as high.

If you want to understand why Eberle is getting 6 mill, try googling "inflation"

Although I doubt your Canucks classes will allow you to understand.

When Eberle is scoring 70+ points a season and playing 2 way hockey, this contract will be right on the mark, if not a steal. And I don't expect to see you when you realize just how wrong you were/are.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:07 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBertho View Post
Ummm, maybe in the future, but certainly not yet. I'll wait until Hall has as good of a season as Eberle just had before making such a claim.
What was Eberle doing when he was 18 and 19?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote