HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The future of Ryan Jones

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2012, 10:25 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Where did you hear that the negotiations were not so easy?
I think Jones signed promptly and quietly.
This is correct. Jones loves it in Edmonton. Actually I think the guy LOVES playing hockey period.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:02 AM
Baggers

I like Jones, but he's basically too good to be a 4th liner and not good enough defensively to be a 3rd liner. I think he gets moved at the deadline.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
This is correct. Jones loves it in Edmonton. Actually I think the guy LOVES playing hockey period.
Does he? I thought Gregor said a couple weeks ago that Peckham and someone else(smyth) are the only ones that live here and that Dubnyk bought a house and could be living here in the near future?

Old
08-31-2012, 10:09 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
I like Jones, but he's basically too good to be a 4th liner and not good enough defensively to be a 3rd liner. I think he gets moved at the deadline.
Agreed. I like Jones, but he makes a lot of money for what he does.

They'll have to make room for guys like Pitlick and Hartikainen eventually, assuming they both play well this year.

Old
08-31-2012, 10:15 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Does he? I thought Gregor said a couple weeks ago that Peckham and someone else(smyth) are the only ones that live here and that Dubnyk bought a house and could be living here in the near future?
haha. So anyone that doesn't live here in the summer hates Edmonton?

I think his wife is from Minnesota, so that's where he lives in the summer.

Whitney is from Boston, so he lives there in the summer. Hall is from Kingston, so he lives there in the summer. Gagner is from Toronto.

They don't hate Edmonton, they just want to spend some time with family and friends.

Old
08-31-2012, 10:21 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
haha. So anyone that doesn't live here in the summer hates Edmonton?

I think his wife is from Minnesota, so that's where he lives in the summer.

Whitney is from Boston, so he lives there in the summer. Hall is from Kingston, so he lives there in the summer. Gagner is from Toronto.

They don't hate Edmonton, they just want to spend some time with family and friends.
I read it as Jones lives in Edmonton, not loves.

Old
08-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
I think if it happens that Ryan Jones is pushed down the fourth line, that';s a very good thing. Having players down the lineup who can push up if need be (such as in case of an injury) is a sign of depth, so we can only hope we have enough wingers doing well that Jones finds himself near the bottom of the roster.

Old
08-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Broilers

Let us see who are comparable players to Jones and how much they are making. Ponikarovsky is making 1.8M and Troy Brouwer is making 2.35M so he will ask Brouwer money and will get at least 2.0M in the open market. To me he is too expensive fourth liner and he is taking a spot to develop Hartikainen and Paajarvi.

If he can overplay Smyth this year then I am considering to keep him with 2-3 year deal and give Smyth walk away papers after his contract has expired

Old
08-31-2012, 04:04 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
I think he stays if the Oilers are smart, as I think he could be signed for the same money going forward, 1 or 2 years at a time. If the Oilers managed to talk Ryan Smyth into 2.25M, I think Jones can be had for 2.5M tops within the next year or two, and then less than that going forward. I know that the Oilers don't have the same leverage as they had with Smyth, but I think we're approaching the point where players can be expected to take slightly less, not slightly more, to play here. The core is there and everyone knows where this team is headed.

Don't make room for a guy like Pitlick, make Pitlick demand the spot by being better than Jones and working his game in the AHL until he's there. No more making the good players we have play with scrubs on the 3rd and 4th lines because the depth just isn't there to have talented guys, or we're rushing prospects into the NHL and using the big team to develop.

Last edited by stratedge: 08-31-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old
08-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
I think he stays if the Oilers are smart, as I think he could be signed for the same money going forward, 1 or 2 years at a time. If the Oilers managed to talk Ryan Smyth into 2.25M, I think Jones can be had for 2.5M tops within the next year or two, and then less than that going forward. I know that the Oilers don't have the same leverage as they had with Smyth, but I think we're approaching the point where players can be expected to take slightly less, not slightly more, to play here. The core is there and everyone knows where this team is headed.
Goodbye Jones!

Old
08-31-2012, 04:25 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
Let us see who are comparable players to Jones and how much they are making. Ponikarovsky is making 1.8M and Troy Brouwer is making 2.35M so he will ask Brouwer money and will get at least 2.0M in the open market. To me he is too expensive fourth liner and he is taking a spot to develop Hartikainen and Paajarvi.

If he can overplay Smyth this year then I am considering to keep him with 2-3 year deal and give Smyth walk away papers after his contract has expired
Eventually we are going to get to the point where 2+ for a 4th liner is just not going to fit, but if we have the room I think you keep him as long as you can. I just don't know how much longer there is going to be room. That cap drops to 58 and all of a sudden you start becoming a team that needs to find guys that can play on the 3rd line for 1-1.5mil.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Broilers

Quote:
I agree. When Mike Brown came here there is just no room for Jones any more. Let' see our bottom 6 when injured palyers are back

Smyth Horcoff Pääjärvi/Jones
Hartikainen/Jones Belanger Brown
Eager VandeVelde Petrell

I think VandeVelde goes minors but Hartikainen and Pääjärvi have earn their stay and they are part of the future. Let's move Jones.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:00 PM
DarkSaturn

Quote:
I agree. When Mike Brown came here there is just no room for Jones any more. Let' see our bottom 6 when injured palyers are back

Eager VandeVelde Petrell

I think VandeVelde goes minors but Hartikainen and Pääjärvi have earn their stay and they are part of the future. Let's move Jones.
He's about the only Oiler who seems to play hard every shift. Lot of guys who should be moved/demoted before Jones.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSaturn View Post
He's about the only Oiler who seems to play hard every shift. Lot of guys who should be moved/demoted before Jones.
Wha are your thoughts ? Who do you move in the first place

Old
03-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Stoneman89

This board is amazing. Not even 2 weeks ago, the love for Jones on here was crazy, everyone saying his speed, grit, size, determination, and defensive play and scoring the odd goal were much needed by this team. Now...after 4 pointless games coming back from serious eye injury, a thread starts to have him booted out of town. Nice...

Old
03-04-2013, 05:15 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
What are your thoughts ? Who do you move in the first place
Paajarvi and Harti go down before Jones gets moved. Jones is the one vet already in our bottom 6 we need to keep around.

Smyth - Belanger - Jones
Eager - CVV/Petrell - Brown
Petrell/CVV

PRV and Harti (once of IR) to OKC to play top 6

Old
03-04-2013, 05:16 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
This board is amazing. Not even 2 weeks ago, the love for Jones on here was crazy, everyone saying his speed, grit, size, determination, and defensive play and scoring the odd goal were much needed by this team. Now...after 4 pointless games coming back from serious eye injury, a thread starts to have him booted out of town. Nice...
Look at the dates. It's from last year (not that that makes it any less ridiculous)

Old
03-04-2013, 05:20 PM
DarkSaturn

Quote:
Wha are your thoughts ? Who do you move in the first place
Probably Eager, depending on how Brown does in his next few starts.

Then again, with the Oilers injury track record, it's not like they have a hard time finding games for all these guys to play. Just need to address the problem down the middle, because VandeVelde and Arcobello really shouldn't be seeing NHL games at this point.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:22 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
He comes back from an almost career ending eye injury and peeps are talking about moving him?

Teams shouldn't push the panic during this half season ****fest.

edit: A comment towards all teams who trade anyone of substance during this season.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Look at the dates. It's from last year (not that that makes it any less ridiculous)
True. The fact it was resurrected again is shameful.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:30 PM
DarkSaturn

Best thing about Jones since his return is that he seems to be about the only Oilers winger not in love with the drop pass. How many times are we going to see scoring opportunities vanish thanks to those.

Frustrating to see both Eberle and RNH go from being magnets for scoring simple right place right time goals, to guys always looking for the perfect setup. Especially in a season where Hemsky has finally gone the other way. Not exactly worrying at this point, but got to think that the success the young guys had playing together in OKC combined with the Oilers early season PP success has them buying their own hype a little much. I'm confident Krueger will sort it out, but hopefully it's before the season is a wash.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:35 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Love Jones and I can't imagine there isn't room for a guy like him in the bottom 6 going forward.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:39 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

Eager VandeVelde Petrell

I'd easily keep Jones over Harti and Petrell. Probably Eager too. And don't get me wrong, I like all three of those guys. But I like Jones a lot more.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:47 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
For those complaining that the Oilers don't make good/smart waiver pickups: Ryan Jones.

Old
03-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Lessy

Quote:

Eager VandeVelde Petrell

Jones is easily the second best player in this group behind Horcoff.

Closed Thread