HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-30-2012, 11:52 PM
  #151
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,221
vCash: 500
I second Arkham City (and Arkham Asylum for that matter).

I'm more of a PC gamer, so I'm busy with:

Shogun 2
The Walking Dead (surprisingly fun adventure game!)


But soon my life will be taken over by XCOM

alanschu is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 12:05 AM
  #152
The Head Crusher
Moderator
 
The Head Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,723
vCash: 6257
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Bought the God of War Origins Collection and started playing Chains of Olympus, took me bout 24 hours after buying the game to not only beat it but get the Platinum trophy as well.

__________________
The Head Crusher is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 01:39 AM
  #153
Joey Moss
Proud to select...
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,130
vCash: 226
Not a big gamer myself, but I always get excited around this time of year for NHL, COD and now FIFA. If you've never played FIFA I really recommend at least getting the demo for FIFA 13. I'm not a soccer fan at all. I used to play, but stopped around the age of 13 and now I'm getting back into it since pretty much all of my friends are soccer fans. Pro Clubs in FIFA is some of the most fun I've had in a video game. Honestly, it's worth the money. Hands down the best sports game there is. Amazing graphics and unreal gameplay. It's about as close as you can get to the actual sport in a video game, and I find I'm paying attention to the sport, and am a lot more interested in watching soccer on TV now.

Joey Moss is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 01:50 AM
  #154
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
I'm through with buying NHL games. I barely touched 11 and 12.

It would be nice if EA offered updates for say, 30 bucks opposed to charging full price for a glorified update every year.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 01:52 AM
  #155
The Bored Man
#94
 
The Bored Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,364
vCash: 537
Several months late, but I have finally discovered Skyrim. "Immersive" is an understatement.

The Bored Man is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 02:44 AM
  #156
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I second Arkham City (and Arkham Asylum for that matter).

I'm more of a PC gamer, so I'm busy with:

Shogun 2
The Walking Dead (surprisingly fun adventure game!)


But soon my life will be taken over by XCOM
I don't watch The Walking Dead, but the game is tempting me too. Such a great series so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm through with buying NHL games. I barely touched 11 and 12.

It would be nice if EA offered updates for say, 30 bucks opposed to charging full price for a glorified update every year.
They'd never do that. Too much money to make doing it this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Several months late, but I have finally discovered Skyrim. "Immersive" is an understatement.
Heh, I've never tried Skyrim yet either, not really into the whole dungeons and dragons type game. But I keep hearing how great a game it is. If I liked Fallout 3 and Mass Effect, I should like Skyrim then right?

Eytinge is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 03:00 AM
  #157
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,904
vCash: 500
Basically 100% of my gaming time is going into NCAA Football 13 right now. The dynasty mode is just so well done. Makes me wish they made an NCAA hockey game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Heh, I've never tried Skyrim yet either, not really into the whole dungeons and dragons type game. But I keep hearing how great a game it is. If I liked Fallout 3 and Mass Effect, I should like Skyrim then right?
Probably, but I wouldn't guarantee it. Skyrim gets a bit more tedious than those two, although there are plenty multiple classes and play styles for each class to change it up. Nice thing too is you can just change your class by playing like that class. The more you use weapons/armor/shields, the better you get with them.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 03:19 AM
  #158
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Basically 100% of my gaming time is going into NCAA Football 13 right now. The dynasty mode is just so well done. Makes me wish they made an NCAA hockey game.



Probably, but I wouldn't guarantee it. Skyrim gets a bit more tedious than those two, although there are plenty multiple classes and play styles for each class to change it up. Nice thing too is you can just change your class by playing like that class. The more you use weapons/armor/shields, the better you get with them.
Tedious as in pointless and boring sidequests? Or does the main storyline get boring? Is it the type of RPG where you're useless in combat until you reach a certain level?

As long as the story/dialogue choices are interesting I don't think it'd get too boring for me. Liked Dragon Age Origins because the overarching story was interesting, but DA2 despite being in the same sorta setting didn't hold my attention because of the main quest.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 03:29 AM
  #159
4EDM14OIL93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm through with buying NHL games. I barely touched 11 and 12.

It would be nice if EA offered updates for say, 30 bucks opposed to charging full price for a glorified update every year.
NHL 13 is a huge upgrade over NHL 12. It's not your average upgrade with a few little tweaks and improvements here and there.

4EDM14OIL93 is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 03:38 AM
  #160
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Tedious as in pointless and boring sidequests? Or does the main storyline get boring? Is it the type of RPG where you're useless in combat until you reach a certain level?

As long as the story/dialogue choices are interesting I don't think it'd get too boring for me. Liked Dragon Age Origins because the overarching story was interesting, but DA2 despite being in the same sorta setting didn't hold my attention because of the main quest.
Most of the sidequests(and there's a lot of them) are your typical go to this generic dungeon, clear it and get an item off the "boss". You'll end up fighting a lot of the same enemies in almost identical caves or structures with them.

The main quest line is awesome. I really liked it. As well there's some other solid storylines with different factions i.e. you can side with one of the two armies fighting for Skyrim, work your way up the ranks of The Thieves Guild and/or The Dark Brotherhood, etc.

Some playstyles need a few skill points to make it easier(like the archer or sword/board warrior), but they're all fairly viable from the beginning. I haven't played as a spell caster though, so they might be a different story.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 03:55 AM
  #161
Villager
BAGS!!!
 
Villager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Other than hockey, my biggest intrest has been gaming, I've always been a Nintendo from when I was very little (who could forget Kirby and Pokemon!), I turn on my Wii every weekend and play Brawl(Best ****ing game eva), Xenoblade, That Zelda game called Skyward sword or soemthing. and a couple other games. Should I get a PS3 or something and get like NHL13? I heard its very good. I also played my copy of MW3 until it broke, it was kinda gay anyways with all those trolls running around with Akimbo FMG9s and pretty much painting a poster on their selves that says "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ****************"


Anyone exicted for da WiiU?

Villager is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 10:28 AM
  #162
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNH View Post
Other than hockey, my biggest intrest has been gaming, I've always been a Nintendo from when I was very little (who could forget Kirby and Pokemon!), I turn on my Wii every weekend and play Brawl(Best ****ing game eva), Xenoblade, That Zelda game called Skyward sword or soemthing. and a couple other games. Should I get a PS3 or something and get like NHL13? I heard its very good. I also played my copy of MW3 until it broke, it was kinda gay anyways with all those trolls running around with Akimbo FMG9s and pretty much painting a poster on their selves that says "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ****************"


Anyone exicted for da WiiU?
Nope. The Wii was a big waste of money for me. The only games I play now is sports games. Can't stand MW3 or any of those shoot-em-up kind of games now. Too many kids and too many losers who play 24/7 just to reach prestige and brag about how great they are. I'd rather work and make crap loads of money and brag to them how great I am instead

Paralyzer is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
  #163
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 50
i am still a huge COD fanboy, i only play when i have 2-5 other buddies playing. alone isnt much fun. lol i havent even finished the MW3 campaign yet

CornKicker is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 10:49 AM
  #164
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I don't watch The Walking Dead, but the game is tempting me too. Such a great series so far.

They'd never do that. Too much money to make doing it this way.

Heh, I've never tried Skyrim yet either, not really into the whole dungeons and dragons type game. But I keep hearing how great a game it is. If I liked Fallout 3 and Mass Effect, I should like Skyrim then right?
Fallout 3 is the same developer with the same engine (though it has been updated quite a bit since).

Pretty fun game, hundreds of hours of content.

SK13 is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 11:33 AM
  #165
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i am still a huge COD fanboy, i only play when i have 2-5 other buddies playing. alone isnt much fun. lol i havent even finished the MW3 campaign yet
That group size is why I love BF3.

Your running around and you see a squad and suddenly your buddy in the tank comes driving in and opens up fire and gives you cover to hide behind. Then that helicopter shows up to start damaging the tank, so you call in your other friend that's flying air support and he lights up the chopper while you plant the bomb on the mcom station, quickly repair up the tank, and hop into the gunner position as he drives off to the next objective, leaving a wake of debris and bodies behind you! \m/

LOL. To be fair I haven't played a COD game MP since the first Modern Warfare but I find it hard to go back to the infantry only MP now. I think I just got burnt out on it from the Counterstrike days.

alanschu is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 11:39 AM
  #166
thalegion
Registered User
 
thalegion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNH View Post
Other than hockey, my biggest intrest has been gaming, I've always been a Nintendo from when I was very little (who could forget Kirby and Pokemon!), I turn on my Wii every weekend and play Brawl(Best ****ing game eva), Xenoblade, That Zelda game called Skyward sword or soemthing. and a couple other games. Should I get a PS3 or something and get like NHL13? I heard its very good. I also played my copy of MW3 until it broke, it was kinda gay anyways with all those trolls running around with Akimbo FMG9s and pretty much painting a poster on their selves that says "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ****************"


Anyone exicted for da WiiU?

You just revealed your age group with this post lol 12-16

thalegion is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 03:03 PM
  #167
EchoesoftheEighties
Wat a N00bnyk
 
EchoesoftheEighties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: [b]DOWNTOWN[/b]
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 19,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNH View Post
Other than hockey, my biggest intrest has been gaming, I've always been a Nintendo from when I was very little (who could forget Kirby and Pokemon!), I turn on my Wii every weekend and play Brawl(Best ****ing game eva), Xenoblade, That Zelda game called Skyward sword or soemthing. and a couple other games. Should I get a PS3 or something and get like NHL13? I heard its very good. I also played my copy of MW3 until it broke, it was kinda gay anyways with all those trolls running around with Akimbo FMG9s and pretty much painting a poster on their selves that says "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ****************"


Anyone exicted for da WiiU?
No offence but this post is full of . First off, Brawl is not even half the game Melee was and it's not even close. Second off "That Zelda game" is pretty much the only good thing to come out of Nintendo in years.

And the Wii U promises to be disappointing like nearly every other Nintendo product for the past 5-10 years. Nintendo is a dying breed.

Anyway, I'm buying a Game Boy Colour and Pokemon Red this weekend just for nostalgia's sake. Takes me back to my childhood

Also have pre-orders for NHL 13 Stanley Cup Edition, Assassin's Creed III and going to the midnight release of Halo 4. Gooood times


Last edited by EchoesoftheEighties: 08-31-2012 at 03:16 PM.
EchoesoftheEighties is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 05:21 PM
  #168
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes
 
TheBusDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,018
vCash: 500
To anyone considering skyrim. Try it. Its amazing.

TheBusDriver is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 05:29 PM
  #169
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,317
vCash: 500
How's Madden 13? my 2nd fav sport game (after FIFA) but I didn't like last year's game

The Last Dynasty is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 05:29 PM
  #170
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 5,931
vCash: 500
I still play EHM 2005. Yeah, I said it.

Senor Catface is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 06:57 PM
  #171
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 1-2 Whoop Whoop
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,928
vCash: 500
Anyone else get sucked into Guild Wars 2??

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 06:58 PM
  #172
czar99
Registered User
 
czar99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shultz'z Place
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaray_656 View Post
No offence but this post is full of . First off, Brawl is not even half the game Melee was and it's not even close. Second off "That Zelda game" is pretty much the only good thing to come out of Nintendo in years.

And the Wii U promises to be disappointing like nearly every other Nintendo product for the past 5-10 years. Nintendo is a dying breed.

Anyway, I'm buying a Game Boy Colour and Pokemon Red this weekend just for nostalgia's sake. Takes me back to my childhood

Also have pre-orders for NHL 13 Stanley Cup Edition, Assassin's Creed III and going to the midnight release of Halo 4. Gooood times



The boulded part is full of


Ok so the big upgrade to NHL13 is the skating physics! Fail! I've never played an NHL game that contradicts your commands as much as this one. I really hope the patches for this game come big time and early. Not very happy.

czar99 is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 10:47 PM
  #173
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
I still play EHM 2005. Yeah, I said it.
I come back to 2007 from time to time.

I really am looking forward to this

alanschu is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 11:10 PM
  #174
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
[/B]

The boulded part is full of


Ok so the big upgrade to NHL13 is the skating physics! Fail! I've never played an NHL game that contradicts your commands as much as this one. I really hope the patches for this game come big time and early. Not very happy.
Gm Connected looks like its going to be the best thing they have done in a long time.

The new player/goalie AI should increase the playability a lot as well.

Oil Gauge is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 11:30 PM
  #175
ThePresent83
Registered User
 
ThePresent83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sherwood Park
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,854
vCash: 500
I would STRONGLY recommend The Walking Dead to anyone who wants great bang for your buck. I've played through the first 3 episodes and cant wait for the 4th and 5th.

This is a game for players who like great story, great characters, choose your own adventure style play, detective style play, morality issues, and of course, zombies.

There are tons of fine 60 dollar games out on the shelves, but instead, stay in your house, go into the game marketplace, by the 1st episode for like 5 bucks, and let yourself get hooked.

ThePresent83 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.