Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Zach Bogosian to have wrist surgery Friday, out for minimum 3 months

Old
08-30-2012, 10:42 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 50
People need to take the long view here IMO.

We all want hockey to start in a few weeks... living breathing and sleeping it is what happened last year.

For the longer term outlook for the Jets (and the league), we want a competitive system which promotes partiy and equality among what team 2 can do to get better compared to what teams 23, 18, 30 and 17 have available.

The league as a hole just is stronger if the NYR, PHI, LAK, BOS, TOR, MTL of the leagues aren't able to ice All-Star line-ups every year and everyone is fighting for the chance to get steamrolled in 4 games before the real teams get squared off.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:43 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I say, good he's getting it fixed. Looks like he'll have time to heal, and then come back one tough SOB to play against!

I might be in the minority, but a lockout may benefit our team, now and in the future, if the right deal is struck. Let Bogo heal up to 100%, let Scheifele dominate the OHL without the scrutiny of 'should he stay, should he be sent down', and let our young emerging players get some more seasoning in Europe or AHL.

If it means missing 2, 4 or 12 months - i'm actually okay with that. For me, a lower % of HRR and significant revenue sharing is the aim. If that takes some time, sobeit.

I agree with every single thing you said here especially the bold. It could really help a guy like Burmistrov develop his game more and and specifically his offence.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:08 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I say, good he's getting it fixed. Looks like he'll have time to heal, and then come back one tough SOB to play against!

I might be in the minority, but a lockout may benefit our team, now and in the future, if the right deal is struck. Let Bogo heal up to 100%, let Scheifele dominate the OHL without the scrutiny of 'should he stay, should he be sent down', and let our young emerging players get some more seasoning in Europe or AHL.

If it means missing 2, 4 or 12 months - i'm actually okay with that. For me, a lower % of HRR and significant revenue sharing is the aim. If that takes some time, sobeit.
Depends... AHL is lower competition and sometimes that can hurt too. Also, that takes ice-time away from other players. Burmistrov going down could equal less ice time for Telegin for example.

Also, there are a lot of vets on this team that a lockout could mean regression:
Antro, Poni, Hainsey, Wellwood, Stuart, Slater, Thorburn...
and even possibly any or all of Ladd, Little, Enstrom and Byfuglien.

Seems to me that a lockout year is less than optimal in my mind, even if there are some perks to it.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:38 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Depends... AHL is lower competition and sometimes that can hurt too. Also, that takes ice-time away from other players. Burmistrov going down could equal less ice time for Telegin for example.

Also, there are a lot of vets on this team that a lockout could mean regression:
Antro, Poni, Hainsey, Wellwood, Stuart, Slater, Thorburn...
and even possibly any or all of Ladd, Little, Enstrom and Byfuglien.

Seems to me that a lockout year is less than optimal in my mind, even if there are some perks to it.
It sounds to me like the NHL stars need to start their own AHL clubs.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Tdoe42

The work that they are doing with ligaments these days is remarkable.

The surgeon that does all the NFL'ers Dr. James Andrews has his own clinic in South Korea where they treat patients with Stem Cells cause its legal there and the turn around is amazing.

Zach is gonna be a life long Jet so the fact that he is getting this done now is better for everyone.

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 07:09 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

This is the same surgery the Blue Jays Jose Bautista is getting done.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:09 AM
SCP Guy

Brutal news

Hope he can come back @ 110%

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:26 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Damn! Zach is easily my favorite player. I really thought he was going to come out of the gate strong.

Honestly, I am hoping for a lockout til Christmas now.

Anyone think that he decided to get it done now because the PA is telling players that a lockout is pretty much a done deal?

Honestly with the rate they are going, they are not going to get close enough to play in 2 weeks. Then when the lockout is announced there will be more game playing by both sides.

A lockout is the best thing that could happen to a Bogosian less Jets team.
You just HAD to say it, didn't you?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:21 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Nothing good comes from a lockout I dunno bout you guys but I'll be pretty choked if there is one.

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:41 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
Nothing good comes from a lockout I dunno bout you guys but I'll be pretty choked if there is one.
A bit OT but I've got to throw my hat in with this comment. There are silver linings to be sussed out, but a lockout means the loss of Winnipeg Jets hockey and that's all that matters to me. As a paying fan you deserve to be a little more selfish and think about the impact of the lockout on yourself, not whether or not e.g. player X will benefit from playing in Europe.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
People need to take the long view here IMO.

We all want hockey to start in a few weeks... living breathing and sleeping it is what happened last year.

For the longer term outlook for the Jets (and the league), we want a competitive system which promotes partiy and equality among what team 2 can do to get better compared to what teams 23, 18, 30 and 17 have available.

The league as a hole just is stronger if the NYR, PHI, LAK, BOS, TOR, MTL of the leagues aren't able to ice All-Star line-ups every year and everyone is fighting for the chance to get steamrolled in 4 games before the real teams get squared off.
I agree 100%

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
A bit OT but I've got to throw my hat in with this comment. There are silver linings to be sussed out, but a lockout means the loss of Winnipeg Jets hockey and that's all that matters to me. As a paying fan you deserve to be a little more selfish and think about the impact of the lockout on yourself, not whether or not e.g. player X will benefit from playing in Europe.
Here Here!

Do I want to the jets to survive healthily in winnipeg? yes. but i'm also not the type to believe that unless the cba is changed as drastically as has been proposed (by both sides mind you) that it won't.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:39 AM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Personally, first and foremost for me, is that we get a new CBA that is favourable to the long term viability of the Winnipeg Jets franchise. I want an NHL that allows TNSE to be able to turn a profit while competing for the Stanley cup if their management has the skill to build the right team. If that takes us losing some time then I will suck it up. Winnipeg got back into the NHL partially on the back of the last lock out which delivered a hard cap. Of coarse i would prefer this to happen without a lock out but that might not be possible.

Edit: Woops it looks like Broinwhyteridge beat me to it (lol)

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:00 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Personally, first and foremost for me, is that we get a new CBA that is favourable to the long term viability of the Winnipeg Jets franchise. I want an NHL that allows TNSE to be able to turn a profit while competing for the Stanley cup if their management has the skill to build the right team. If that takes us losing some time then I will suck it up. Winnipeg got back into the NHL partially on the back of the last lock out which delivered a hard cap. Of coarse i would prefer this to happen without a lock out but that might not be possible.

Edit: Woops it looks like Broinwhyteridge beat me to it (lol)
Honest question though: is there any indication that an extended bargaining process, or a lockout, works in favour of the long term viability of the Jets i.e. as opposed to hammering out something here and now?

I ask because I see this forming as a consensus, and TBH I can't be bothered to look into this process with too much effort because each time I consider how millionaires and billionaires are fighting over the middle class's money, the inner ice-hockey-road-hockey-cheering-on-the-Jets child inside me dies a little bit more.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:10 AM
sully1410

Meh.

Surgery sucks and I hope he has a quick recovery. But he's only one player, last I checked hockey was a team game.

We'll be fine. The jets will do what they always do.

Endure.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Honest question though: is there any indication that an extended bargaining process, or a lockout, works in favour of the long term viability of the Jets i.e. as opposed to hammering out something here and now?

I ask because I see this forming as a consensus, and TBH I can't be bothered to look into this process with too much effort because each time I consider how millionaires and billionaires are fighting over the middle class's money, the inner ice-hockey-road-hockey-cheering-on-the-Jets child inside me dies a little bit more.
Well, it doesn't matter how long the process takes - what matters is the result. A pro-TNSE result is the best we can hope for.

NHL hockey in Canada is big business - over $1 billion per year. Getting tickets to a game is not economically feasible for a significant portion of the population. That's not going to change no matter what happens at the bargaining table...but don't tell your inner child that!

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:25 AM
EpicGingy

Well, it looks like a lockout would help us in this regard.

But I still want to watch hockey first and foremost, so I'm not gonna root for it just so Bogosian has more time to heal and get in most of the Jets games.

Still, hope he has a speedy recovery. Get well soon, and help us make the playoffs with a (hopefully) good as new wrist.

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:27 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Surgery was successful and rehabd is 4 to 6 months
Per Scott Brown

Old
08-31-2012, 01:08 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Bogo is going to get paid during the lockout because he was injured during this CBA.
Well played Bogo

Old
08-31-2012, 01:24 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Hope he can come back @ 110%
If there's anyone on the team that would ever come back @ 110%, it would be Bogosian.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:44 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

I'm thinking this has something to do with Postma getting a 1-way contract. Did they know about this when they signed Postma?

If it's been aggravating him for years I would expect him to come back even stronger.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

That would suck actually. I had a gf with a serious wrist injury from a bicycle accident. After surgery she got better 100% but the psychological scars will prevent re-injury. But it can and will get better, being an athlete Bogosian can expect 100% recovery too. Just hope he doesn't let it get to his brain.

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:20 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I'm thinking this has something to do with Postma getting a 1-way contract. Did they know about this when they signed Postma?

If it's been aggravating him for years I would expect him to come back even stronger.
They actually hit Zach in the wrist with a baseball bat in order to have room for Postma. True story.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:08 PM
EpicGingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
They actually hit Zach in the wrist with a baseball bat in order to have room for Postma. True story.
I demand retribution for this!

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
You just HAD to say it, didn't you?
lmao I understand the reference but that IS when the deadline is