HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs' first-round pick Rielly enjoying whirlwind summer

Old
08-31-2012, 11:19 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
It means he will probably be with the team and probably play in the NHL unless Carlyle wants to risk him getting claimed off waivers.
One way or two way contracts have no bearing on Waivers.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:26 AM
RaskY
Re-registered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
One way or two way contracts have no bearing on Waivers.
I thought if you have a one way contract you would have go through waivers before being sent down ?

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delayed Offside View Post
One way contract doesn't mean anything. Just that he gets paid the same in the NHL or AHL. He's not a lock to be on the team.
They wouldn't give him that if he wasn't going to be given a chance.

Hell Poulie even said that he played at an NHL level at the end of the year. Holzer can still lose the job but it's his to lose. Very doubtful he won't make the team out of camp. Otherwise he would have been given a 2-way deal.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
I thought if you have a one way contract you would have go through waivers before being sent down ?
No but generally speaking they don't give one way deals to players they intend to exercise their waiver rights if still eligible. It's a common source of confusion.

Unless the player is being buried, you can pretty much form a conclusion that the player is going to be on the big club if they are signed to a one way deal, because, you know, that's the point.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:39 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
It means he will probably be with the team and probably play in the NHL unless Carlyle wants to risk him getting claimed off waivers.
It probably means either Holzer could get a better than two way NHL deal in Europe or the Leafs know that he has passed the AHL test and they don't intend to send him down anyway.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:43 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
No that's based on length of service. All it means is you earn the same salary whether you play in the NHL or AHL.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:51 AM
leafs in five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Look at a team like Boston, the last "good" defenseman they developed was Hal Gill, Hunwick in 03', Stuart etc. Every other defenseman is from UFA or traded for. They haven't developed any impact defenseman in nearly 20 years.
Boychuk is pretty good.

leafs in five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:18 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Nah, EA Sports instilled that in their games so a lot of people think that now lol.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:01 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Finn, Percy, and Rielly are sure things. All 3 should be top 2 pairing D men. You can't teach hockey IQ, all 3 have spades of this.

Blacker is still a question mark for me, at worst he has the talent to be a 4 guy but hockey IQ is questionable.

The surprise guys are Loov, Nilsson, and Granberg. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them turn out to be solid NHL'ers.

There's Holzer also, I want to see him for an extended stay this year to gauge him. Quiet, efficient, sneaky nasty. When I saw him last year, I was struck at his size, made Komi look like a shrimp. Could be a surprise.

All in all, defence will be the least of our problems, may just need a big tough axman back there in the Dalton Thrower mold.
That's a pretty bold claim. Although maybe not unwarranted.

Rielly certainly looks like he has the potential to easily make the NHL, and be good. Hopefully that pans out and injuries dont' derail his career.

Percy look incredible. The guy is so steady and smooth. His game is fantastic. I'm probably most convinced that he'll make the NHL. He looks like on of the safe players. A guy that can succeed as a third pairing guy, or even play top minutes successfully.

Blacker I'm fairly convinced will make it to the NHL one day. He'll be brought along slowly though. He has talent, and now its about learning to play smart.

I haven't seen Finn much to accurately make a statement on him, but from what I've heard he seems fairly competent.

Between those four, Rielly/Finn/Blacker/Percy, I'm fairly certain 2 if not all will make the NHL. I'm confident at least 2 of them will be impact players as well.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
That's a pretty bold claim. Although maybe not unwarranted.

Rielly certainly looks like he has the potential to easily make the NHL, and be good. Hopefully that pans out and injuries dont' derail his career.

Percy look incredible. The guy is so steady and smooth. His game is fantastic. I'm probably most convinced that he'll make the NHL. He looks like on of the safe players. A guy that can succeed as a third pairing guy, or even play top minutes successfully.

Blacker I'm fairly convinced will make it to the NHL one day. He'll be brought along slowly though. He has talent, and now its about learning to play smart.

I haven't seen Finn much to accurately make a statement on him, but from what I've heard he seems fairly competent.

Between those four, Rielly/Finn/Blacker/Percy, I'm fairly certain 2 if not all will make the NHL. I'm confident at least 2 of them will be impact players as well.
I'm confident all 3 will play in the NHL, it's just a matter of how good they will be. I'm not usually a hyperbolic person but I think these guys are cinch's in the NHL, and they all have top 2 pairing D men potential, so while it may seem like a bold statement, I don't think it is a bad bet at all. Love all 3. We are going in the right direction, 3 talented, high IQ, character D men to add to Dion and they all play with different skill sets.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
Rielly - Percy
Liles - Phaneuf
Gunnarsson-Blacker

drool

or even Finn-Blacker

droooool
Can't help but think, if only we didn't do the Kessel deal, Hamilton could of been in there to.

Rielly - Hamilton
Percy - Phaneuf
Liles/Gunnar/Finn/Black/Franson

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:59 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Can't help but think, if only we didn't do the Kessel deal, Hamilton could of been in there to.

Rielly - Hamilton
Percy - Phaneuf
With a top line of JVR/Seguin/Lupul vs Lupul/Bozak/Kessel

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 06:36 PM
JGardiner51

Quote:

Rielly - Hamilton
Percy - Phaneuf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
With a top line of JVR/Seguin/Lupul vs Lupul/Bozak/Kessel
Heindsight's 20/20

JGardiner51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
No that's based on length of service. All it means is you earn the same salary whether you play in the NHL or AHL.
So, if there is a lockout, Holzer CAN got to the marlies without going through waivers?

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Quote:

Rielly - Hamilton
Percy - Phaneuf
After watching the super series, I don't even like hamilton.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 12:43 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:

Rielly - Hamilton
Percy - Phaneuf
No thanks.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 11:30 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

It shows how ridiculous some of you can be putting Hamilton ahead of Phaneuf on a depth chart. Not a chance. It's not likely that any of our D will pass him. He is our #1D.

Phaneuf - Reilly
Percy - Gardiner
Finn - Holzer
Blacker

But most likely 1 or 2 of these guys are traded. I'm sure some are in discussion this summer. Percy or Blacker in a package for Luongo or a 1C, maybe.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:47 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I'm confident all 3 will play in the NHL, it's just a matter of how good they will be. I'm not usually a hyperbolic person but I think these guys are cinch's in the NHL, and they all have top 2 pairing D men potential, so while it may seem like a bold statement, I don't think it is a bad bet at all. Love all 3. We are going in the right direction, 3 talented, high IQ, character D men to add to Dion and they all play with different skill sets.
taliking with a scout at the windsor spitfire training camp .....he says morgan reilly goes 1-2 if he plays injury free ...most dynamic player in the draft in his opinion .....he likes finn alot .....says nick ebert will turn his game around .......just a few questions to freindly guy in the stands
he was likin HO -SANG alot .....

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Stephen23

Someone posted a decent highlight package of Rielly. Thought it was worth sharing:

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 10:17 AM
dubey
~manlets~

For anyone not aware, WHL regular season has started.

Rielly had an assist in his first game. Plays again tonight against Swift Current.

Also had 4 points in 3 preseason games.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote