All Purpose Golf Thread | FedEx Cup Playoffs: The Barclays

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

vCash: 50
All Purpose Golf Thread

Figured that a thread could be started for the PGA Tour Playoff season.

Tiger & Rory paired for the 1st two rounds. It was interesting listening to these two during their press conferences the other day. They both mentioned that they've formed a really close friendship and really enjoy each-others company.

Rory joking about kicking Tiger's ass at Medinah and Tiger responding "Love you too" while at the back of the room was funny.

It will be fun watching these two for the next 10 years.

Last edited by Ek het lief Woef: 01-04-2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: title change
Old
08-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Tiger playing like crap on another weekend. Getting to be a trend that I thought I would never see.

Sergio looking to win 2 in a row. Currently 1 back of Watney with 9 holes to go.

Old
08-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

Yep. Tiger is good for absolutely nothing on the weekends this year lately. Choked at the US Open, choked at the PGA championship. For the most part in the regular tournaments he's been alright once Saturday rolled around but his performance this weekend was just dreadful. Between his four 3-putts yesterday and his erratic amateurish play today I don't know what to think anymore. To begin with, I'd get somebody to tell him Saturday is moving day... not fall back day or stay even day. He also needs to stop over analyzing 3-7ft putts. I have never seen someone agonize over a 6ft putt like Tiger this weekend and lo and behold, he missed about 10 of them. From that distance I never thought I'd see Tiger miss that many times in the span of two days.

Looks like Nick Watney has this one in the bag. 3 shot lead with 4 holes to play.

Old
08-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Yep. Tiger is good for absolutely nothing on the weekends this year lately. Choked at the US Open, choked at the PGA championship. For the most part in the regular tournaments he's been alright once Saturday rolled around but his performance this weekend was just dreadful. Between his four 3-putts yesterday and his erratic amateurish play today I don't know what to think anymore. To begin with, I'd get somebody to tell him Saturday is moving day... not fall back day or stay even day. He also needs to stop over analyzing 3-7ft putts. I have never seen someone agonize over a 6ft putt like Tiger this weekend and lo and behold, he missed about 10 of them. From that distance I never thought I'd see Tiger miss that many times in the span of two days.

Looks like Nick Watney has this one in the bag. 3 shot lead with 4 holes to play.
Tiger looked like he just gave up today. Not saying he did but his bady language was lie screw it and get me out of here. Like you said I have never seen him miss so many makeable putts on the weekend. Some were a half a cup off. Unbeleivable but it doesn't bother me as I have never been a fan of his.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Tiger looked like he just gave up today. Not saying he did but his bady language was lie screw it and get me out of here. Like you said I have never seen him miss so many makeable putts on the weekend. Some were a half a cup off. Unbeleivable but it doesn't bother me as I have never been a fan of his.
I agree with that. Especially after the double bogey, he put it on autopilot and looked like he was going through the motions.

Playing better at the Deutsche Bank Championship though. 5 consecutive birdies at holes 18 thru 4. Where was this at the US Open, British Open and PGA Championship... though I should probably realize it's only Friday.

edit - and just dropped his second shot to 6 inches at hole #5... the apocalypse is upon us.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Raging Bull

Tiger has more wins than anyone this year, leads the tour in earnings and, even a better indication of his play, leads the tour in scoring average. He's led two majors at the halfway point and finished 3rd in another. He's definitely trending upwards.

Good to see him put together a round like this though, he hasn't done it very often this year outside of the Honda Classic.

Old
09-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Tiger has more wins than anyone this year, leads the tour in earnings and, even a better indication of his play, leads the tour in scoring average. He's led two majors at the halfway point and finished 3rd in another. He's definitely trending upwards.

Good to see him put together a round like this though, he hasn't done it very often this year outside of the Honda Classic.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably too tough on Tiger considering the year he's had. Compared to how he looked in 2011, his play this year has been fantastic and he's been in contention to win 3 of the 4 majors. Anybody else (excluding the obvious exceptions) and it would be looked at as one of the best years of anybodies career. But it's so nice to see the swing changes he and Foley have been working on really progressing week to week.

The only problem with Tiger, IMO, is mentally right now. He has shown glimpses of the old Tiger dominance from time to time in all three facets of the game this season (driving, irons + wedges, short game + putting) but seems to struggle to put all three together at the same time.

Today, for example, he was as accurate with the driver off the tee as I've ever seen him and was spot-on with his irons (especially short irons and wedges) but couldn't putt worth a damn. He missed 5 putts with-in 10ft today but dropped a 15 footer and a 30ft birdie. I think it's only a matter of time though until he gets over that hump - every part of his game outside of the putting looked as good as vintage Tiger today.

Unlucky, in a way, to only shoot a 68 when the course was there for the taking but he's -10 and only 2 shots back of Rory. Would love to see a final round Monday pairing between these two.

Old
09-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

Louis Oousthuizen has a magnet in his ball and a magnet in the hole.

Ridiculous display. 7 birdies in 8 holes. Nobody is catching him. HE. CAN. NOT. MISS. A. PUTT.

Old
09-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Louis Oousthuizen has a magnet in his ball and a magnet in the hole.

Ridiculous display. 7 birdies in 8 holes. Nobody is catching him. HE. CAN. NOT. MISS. A. PUTT.
Such a nice looking swing, completely effortless. Hits a mile and it looks like he's swinging at it about 50% power.

Old
09-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

This is not human. 7 in-a-row... 8 of the last 9 holes birdies for Oosthuizen.

What can you do.... this is ridiculous.

Old
09-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

If Oosthuizen had more consistency in his game he would be a top 3 player in the world...when he's really on, he can't be stopped(ex: 2012 Open).

Old
09-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Such a nice looking swing, completely effortless. Hits a mile and it looks like he's swinging at it about 50% power.
It makes you wonder how he hasn't had more success other than the British Open win. When he's on it's incredible how dialed in every single part of his game is. Reminds me mid-00's Tiger Woods.

Old
09-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

Oosthuizen is hurt. Looks like this is Rory's to lose.

Old
09-03-2012, 03:16 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

Tiger now within 3 at -16!

Old
09-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

He's playing well. Gotta hope that Rory drops a couple though.

Rory -20, Oosthuizen -18, Tiger -17.

Old
09-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

Looks like he'll come up a little short. Encouraged by how well he has played though... next week should be interesting.

Rory Mcilroy -20
Louis Oosthuizen -19
Tiger Woods -18

Louis had two 10ft putts (one on 17, one on 18) to force a playoff but burned the edges on both of them.

Last edited by Ek het lief Woef: 09-03-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old
09-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Conrgats to Rory. Love his game and his easy going attitude. No cussing,no tossing clubs,and always does a true interview after all is said and done no matter how he did.

Old
09-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Conrgats to Rory. Love his game and his easy going attitude. No cussing,no tossing clubs,and always does a true interview after all is said and done no matter how he did.
Yes, congrats to Rory indeed. If Tiger can't win, there is nobody else I would rather see at the top of the leaderboard at the end of the day.

It's too bad you had to throw the dig at Tiger though. Rory is my second favorite player on tour but my god, people have selective memories.

http://www.u.tv/Sport/Frustrated-Ror...7-49cf50313a15

Tons of golf players curse after bad shots, many golfers let go of their clubs after bad shots as well. When the cameras are on Tiger all the time, of course you're going to think he does it more than anyone else. As for interviews, Tiger is the only player on tour that gives interviews before the tournament, Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sun on tour after his rounds week after week after week. Last week was only the second time in his career he hasn't given an interview after his Sunday round. And when is the last time Tiger threw a club?

People focus on every little negative detail with Tiger. So how about focusing on the positives as well? How about when he walked and chatted with the kid holding the scoreboard towards the green on the par-5 7th today for about 5 minutes? And then you have the people who tried convincing themselves earlier this year Tiger & Rory hated each-other - I wonder if it bothers them now that they see the two have a close friendship. People need to get over their disdain of the guy. Don't like him, fine.. but don't make things up.

Another Tiger/Rory pairing on Thurs+Fri next week at Crooked Stick. Good for golf fans. Another long hitter paradise... Rory could be the first to go back-to-back since Tiger.

Last edited by Ek het lief Woef: 09-03-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old
09-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
Yes, congrats to Rory indeed. If Tiger can't win, there is nobody else I would rather see at the top of the leaderboard at the end of the day.

It's too bad you had to throw the dig at Tiger though. Rory is my second favorite player on tour but my god, people have selective memories.

http://www.u.tv/Sport/Frustrated-Ror...7-49cf50313a15

Tons of golf players curse after bad shots, many golfers let go of their clubs after bad shots as well. When the cameras are on Tiger all the time, of course you're going to think he does it more than anyone else. As for interviews, Tiger is the only player on tour that gives interviews before the tournament, Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sun on tour after his rounds week after week after week. Last week was only the second time in his career he hasn't given an interview after his Sunday round. And when is the last time Tiger threw a club?

People focus on every little negative detail with Tiger. So how about focusing on the positives as well? How about when he walked and chatted with the kid holding the scoreboard towards the green on the par-5 7th today for about 5 minutes? And then you have the people who tried convincing themselves earlier this year Tiger & Rory hated each-other - I wonder if it bothers them now that they see the two have a close friendship. People need to get over their disdain of the guy. Don't like him, fine.. but don't make things up.

Another Tiger/Rory pairing on Thurs+Fri next week at Crooked Stick. Good for golf fans. Another long hitter paradise... Rory could be the first to go back-to-back since Tiger.
Don't like Tiger and I never will. I hope he never wins another major. Simple as that. And when someone like me,and there are plenty of us out there, speak our mind about the guy the Tiger apologists usually come out and let us have it. With that said,I and all the other Tiger dislikers will never change our mind.

In my previous comment where did I mention Tigers name? Hmmmm.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Don't like Tiger and I never will. I hope he never wins another major. Simple as that. And when someone like me,and there are plenty of us out there, speak our mind about the guy the Tiger apologists usually come out and let us have it. With that said,I and all the other Tiger dislikers will never change our mind.
That's fine. Though I'd say that your definition of "plenty" is overstating the fact. The Tiger haters are a very vocal minority but nothing much more than that. There are only a few of you, relatively speaking, compared to the 15 deep throngs that follow his pairing every tournament.

Quote:
In my previous comment where did I mention Tigers name? Hmmmm.
You don't have to refer to someone by name to insinuate... lol, c'mon.

Quote:
No cussing,no tossing clubs,and always does a true interview after all is said and done no matter how he did.

Old
09-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
That's fine. Though I'd say that your definition of "plenty" is overstating the fact. The Tiger haters are a very vocal minority but nothing much more than that. There are only a few of you, relatively speaking, compared to the 15 deep throngs that follow his pairing every tournament.

You don't have to refer to someone by name to insinuate... lol, c'mon.
My last statement was my attempt at sarcasm.

Where I live there are plenty of folks that don't care for Tiger. A hell of alot more that dislike than like. Again he is great for the PGA but I will watch whether he plays or not.

Old
09-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

These guys are just throwing darts at the BMW Championship. 5 inches of rain earlier has softened up the course big time. Pick place and clean in all the fairways.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:14 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

Rory tied for the lead & Tiger 1 back after round 1.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Rory and Tiger both at -12 after 36 one shot behind Vijay. Going to be another fun weekend of golf.

Old
09-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

Been watching on and off and watching DVR'd coverage due to personal reasons but it looks like both of them feed incredibly well off each-other.

Some amazing shots the first two days between the both of them. It always amazes me how Rory can stick it in so close with such precision, his swing is a beautiful thing to watch. He seems to be developing some of that clutch Tiger-like ability to make momentum saving par putts when needed - had a save from 15ft & 17ft today if I'm not mistaken. Tiger looked decently good the first day, though the almost holing his tee shot for an ace on that par 3 and then missing the 5 footer coming back for birdie was horrid. Wayward driving today but showed some of that vaunted circa mid-2000's scrambling ability that serves him well.

I just love watching these two. Tiger said it best when he said that the future of golf "is in good hands" with Rory. Love the mutual respect. Wish they were paired together tomorrow instead of going off in threesomes.

Closed Thread