HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Fantasy Football Thread - The Playoffs

Old
08-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
For the record I agree with Gooch about TDs being overated in FF and my hockey pools have always used a system in which goals is only 1 point like an assist. A goal doesn't give you 2 points in hockey for the Art Ross race....
so you do points instead of goals and assists? That just seems like watering down how much you actually need to pay attention when building a team.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Gooch

well that freaking blows, missed the draft for the other league. Gotta say when that happens I lose a whole lotta interest in the team. This is sort of why I dont like screwing around with changing draft times and just going with the original planned time regardless. Afterall, there is the same 10 teams that was there on tuesday and judging by the lack of updates and what not im probably not the only one who got stuck with an autodraft.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:32 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Despite missing the other leagues draft, I made out alright.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I was working so I missed the draft...but how the **** did my auto-draft team get Ray Rice and Cam Newton?

Bend over, gentlemen.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Yeah, missed it too but in a 10 team league, everyone will be pretty loaded still

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Gooch

I guess it sort of works when everyone misses the draft. Still though, my AI drafted team made some really stupid decisions especially on the defensive side of the ball. There were some guys that I didnt get to draft with the 1st league that I wanted to grab with this one that I missed. I'll probably do a 3rd or 4th pug league through espn.

Old
08-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Still not a big fan of drafting defensive players but Cecil Newton's Payday is here to play.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
Still not a big fan of drafting defensive players but Cecil Newton's Payday is here to play.
i hate that yahoo doesn't even pretend to rank the defensive players

Old
09-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
i have just witnessed the dumbest **** of all time (insofar as fantasy football is concerned):

a two QB league. the ****.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i have just witnessed the dumbest **** of all time (insofar as fantasy football is concerned):

a two QB league. the ****.
ya that's terrible.

Old
09-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

this is the ol' highschool friends league (which has morphed over the years to include people's brothers and cousins to cover those that drop out) with a rotating commissioner. this year's guy just happens to be an ass-hat.

Old
09-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
this is the ol' highschool friends league (which has morphed over the years to include people's brothers and cousins to cover those that drop out) with a rotating commissioner. this year's guy just happens to be an ass-hat.
huh that's annoying. we have a pretty stable league of high school friends. I am actually the newest addition and this is my 4th year. No rule changes in that time. This year is the first time the draft will be online though.

Old
09-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

I've partaken in a two-QB league myself...dumbest anything ever. Everyone just stockpiled QBs just to be able to have 2 QBs playing every week...which still was a major issue considering it was a 14 team league, meaning that there was inevitably going to be a team or four screwed every single week if even just one team had 3 starters.

I was one of the lucky ones in that league since I think I wound up drafting Brady early in the first round and he had a monster season...but by the time I got to pick again the best starters left were of the Vince Young variety.

Old
09-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I've partaken in a two-QB league myself...dumbest anything ever. Everyone just stockpiled QBs just to be able to have 2 QBs playing every week...which still was a major issue considering it was a 14 team league, meaning that there was inevitably going to be a team or four screwed every single week if even just one team had 3 starters.

I was one of the lucky ones in that league since I think I wound up drafting Brady early in the first round and he had a monster season...but by the time I got to pick again the best starters left were of the Vince Young variety.
What makes that all the much different from runningbacks though? I never tried a 2 qb league though I wouldnt mind trying something new like that. But in the current formats with how dominant running backs are if you miss out on the elite ones you're screwed especially with 2 to 3 slots being filled by them. I mean I guess there are some running backs by committee teams out there and thus offering up more mediocre running backs to draft compared to teams usually just using 1 QB and thus only 32 available period. But even if you have the worst starting qb in the league it's still better than having the worst starting running back and the point differential between top running back to worst running back and top qb to worst qb, i'd imagine that the runningback one would be a larger gap. (except for aaron rodgers more freakish days)

Old
09-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
What makes that all the much different from runningbacks though? I never tried a 2 qb league though I wouldnt mind trying something new like that. But in the current formats with how dominant running backs are if you miss out on the elite ones you're screwed especially with 2 to 3 slots being filled by them. I mean I guess there are some running backs by committee teams out there and thus offering up more mediocre running backs to draft compared to teams usually just using 1 QB and thus only 32 available period. But even if you have the worst starting qb in the league it's still better than having the worst starting running back and the point differential between top running back to worst running back and top qb to worst qb, i'd imagine that the runningback one would be a larger gap. (except for aaron rodgers more freakish days)
Because multiple running backs will get carries for every team that plays every week.

How often do back-up QBs see the field without an injury happening?

A lot of it also just goes with 'that's the way it is' sense...the 2 RB system has been the dominant fantasy system since I played in my first league, likewise with 1 QB. You get tuned to draft a certain way and RBs hold the highest value in fantasy football because of the system...but when you run the 2 QB system it's easily flipped to the QBs because even average QBs will outscore most running backs most weeks. Using Yahoo's traditional scoring system the top 5 fantasy scorers were QBs last year and guys like Mark Sanchez were in the top 25 overall (ahead of guys like Marshawn Lynch, Matt Forte, and Chris Johnson).

The difference between #1 scoring QB Aaron Rogers and #24 scoring QB Rex Grossman was a noticeable 279 (442 to 163). That same difference between running backs was pretty huge itself - Ray Race had about 375 points compared to Roy Helu's 167...but Helu only had 56 fewer points than the #12 RB, Michael Bush. The difference between RBs 6-20 is surprisingly small and dictated largely by offensive lines and match-ups. With QBs there's basically 10 good ones and a bunch of crap when it comes to fantasy.

That and the odds of finding a sleeper RB are a bit higher than finding a sleeper QB. I won last year's league largely on the back of finding that 'sleeper' QB in Cam Newton (who I expected nothing of last year...but I wanted a back-up QB and it made more sense to take him than spend a pick 5 rounds earlier on a 'safe' back-up), but I've won far more leagues because I had that year's break-out RB.

The year I picked up Arian Foster in the 18th round in every league was a very good year for me.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 09-03-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old
09-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

one key is QBs are MUCH more predictable than RBs to draft.

Old
09-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Gooch

Seems like that 2 qb thing needs a league with maybe 10 teams to possible work, any more teams and then you risk having some teams end up with only 1 starting qb and basically have no chance. I guess if i were drafting into something like that I would draft 3 starting qb's, maybe 4 and use the spares to trade for studs at other positions. I can see how that would be an issue though. Still, I like the idea of tooling around with the makeup and scoring of fantasy sports as the status quo isnt always the best way with it.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Its go time. At least for two teams

Old
09-05-2012, 11:40 AM
sniugneP

I have 2-QB league. I actually like it. My league have 8 teams so it makes sense for having 2 QB starters.

Seems like every year, it's getting harder to draft a good RB. Definitely lack of quality RBs due to being passing league and more teams using them by committee.

sniugneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Biggest blowout, thanks for coming out Beard of Zeus

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

first two playoff spots clinched.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

it's the playoffs! keep your shirt on!

Old
12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
it's the playoffs! keep your shirt on!
never

Old
12-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

an 11-2 fantasy season would have been lost if not for that garbage-time Ridley touchdown. #NoOneCaresAboutYourFantasyTeam

some real close games in the first round of the playoffs.

Last edited by Crafton: 12-10-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
an 11-2 fantasy season would have been lost if not for that garbage-time Ridley touchdown. #NoOneCaresAboutYourFantasyTeam
a 10-3 season was just lost to my sub .500 team thanks to some brandon lloyd action