Notices

I wonder how Eric Fehr's doing.

Old
08-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Zhamnov10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post

Unless you are mistaking me with another poster ?

*you are thinking of your response to NewsJet regarding the humilation comment..

I agree with you he was great in the WHL and is a good hockey player but a very large percentage of leading scorers in the WHL never adapt and cross over to be successful in the NHL. Was just illustrating that this may be the case. Also you are right his injuries hampered his progression.
Oops sorry about that!

Zhamnov10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov10 View Post
Oops sorry about that!
No worries! its all good

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:05 PM
mondo3

vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
?? As he has no contract, I agree it would be beneficial to him to have a locked out season so he can rehab and try to get back to his old self (or improve).

As for our benefit, a lockout and benefit do not mix (IMHO at least).
to our benefit, because it's likely he'd try out for us first, and if he's healthy he would be a good asset.

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

A HEALTHY Eric Fehr is a good 3rd liner on pretty much any NHL team. If he is healthy (and we have hockey) he will be in the league this year. The Jets were smart not qualifying him, and I bet that they already told him they had plans for him if he could get mended and show the old Fehr in camp. You just can't risk 2.5MM on damaged goods like that.

08-31-2012, 12:42 AM
Inflict
Viking

I can't say that I have much confidence in Fehr anymore. I thought it was a good trade at first, but he really hasn't recovered well from his injury. There were only a few games I could count where he was working his butt off, but he seemed lazy overall and just could not hit the net if his life depended on it. How anyone could say he had a productive year is beyond me. His shooting percentage was 3.7 % last year and it is clear that the high powered offense of Washington was the reason why he excelled in 2009-2010. Mark my words, he will never reach the 20 goal mark again unless he dramatically changes the way he plays or plays on a line with the Sedins.

All that being said, I would probably still offer him an invite to camp just so that we can give him a second chance to prove his worth. He might be useful as a forward down in the farm as well if he would accept an AHL deal. You never know, it might give him the motivation he needs.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 03:19 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
I can't say that I have much confidence in Fehr anymore. I thought it was a good trade at first, but he really hasn't recovered well from his injury. There were only a few games I could count where he was working his butt off, but he seemed lazy overall and just could not hit the net if his life depended on it. How anyone could say he had a productive year is beyond me. His shooting percentage was 3.7 % last year and it is clear that the high powered offense of Washington was the reason why he excelled in 2009-2010. Mark my words, he will never reach the 20 goal mark again unless he dramatically changes the way he plays or plays on a line with the Sedins.

All that being said, I would probably still offer him an invite to camp just so that we can give him a second chance to prove his worth. He might be useful as a forward down in the farm as well if he would accept an AHL deal. You never know, it might give him the motivation he needs.
It's because of that low shooting percentage that we say he was playing as strong as his productive years (note this is different than saying he had a productive year, which is not what we said).

Think about it, if you are good enough to put shots on the net but you just don't seem to be scoring, is it your fault? Maybe, maybe not; it depends. Do you normally score? If yes, than it's probably bad luck. If no, than you aren't putting quality shots on the net and it's your game that is suffering.

Very, very, very few have a true shooting percentage of 3.7%. Do you really think that Glass and Thorburn were twice as skilled as him? If so, you need to get fixed.

You said he couldn't hit the net but he hit the net more times per a game than all of our forwards except: Kane, Ladd, Wheeler, Little and Burmistrov... and he received significantly less ice time than those 5.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 03:51 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

The True Fehr

YearGP Shots/GP Sh% G A OnIceSh%
08-09 61 2.20 9.0 12 13 7.73
09-10 69 2.10 14.5 21 18 12.20
10-11 52 2.31 8.3 10 10 6.12
11-12 35 1.54 3.7 2 1 2.74
CarAvg 54 2.04 8.9 11 11 7.20

Looking at this you can see that this year was a dip in Fehr's ability to create offensive opportunities but not nearly a match for his dip in production. He basically had the exact opposite effect that occurred to Machacek. 3.7% is not the natural shooting percentage for Fehr which shows his goals should have been higher if it weren't for bad luck. The OnIceSh% is the shooting percentage of the Jets while Fehr is on the ice; this shows that Fehr wasn't just hurt by his own bad luck, but the rest of the team had poor luck while he was on the ice. In fact, 2.74% OnIceSh% is the 6th worst in the NHL for players with 30+ games. His most common line-mates were Antropov, Stapleton, and Burmistrov; I doubt those players have a natural shooting percentage of 2.74%.

For fun I decided to work out what Fehr should of had if his offensive creation production was the same (lowest of his career as stated above but not that low) but he had "normal" puck luck. PS to determine his "normal", I used the last 4 seasons as shown above, including his bad luck filled season last year so not to "cherry pick stats" (exception being games played).

ClassGP Sh% G A PTS
TRUE 35 3.7 2 1 3
NormSh% 35 8.9 5 1 6
NormOISh% 35 3.7 2 5 7
NormGP 61 3.7 5 2 7
AllThree 61 8.9 8 9 17

So yes, he did have a slump and a lot of it had to do with injury (and for that I'm sure glad they didn't do something stupid like taking the risk in qualifying him), but it appears that poor puck luck also had a role to play.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:30 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Very, very, very few have a true shooting percentage of 3.7%. Do you really think that Glass and Thorburn were twice as skilled as him? If so, you need to get fixed.
Maybe not twice as skilled, but they were certainly more than twice as effective as Fehr IMO. I would also say that Thorburn has a better shot then Fehr. Also, if you look back at Fehrs numbers, his career low was 0% in 11 games in 2005-2006 and 2.5% in 23 games in 2007-2008. His average shooting percentage in the NHL is 9% and if you take out his fluke year in Washington, it leads to an overall shooting percentage of 7%. Thorburn has the same shooting percentage if you take out his most effective year (in regards to shooting percentage). Yes I am cherry-picking the data, but only to prove that he has not been an effective offensive player in the NHL except for that one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
You said he couldn't hit the net but he hit the net more times per a game than all of our forwards except: Kane, Ladd, Wheeler, Little and Burmistrov... and he received significantly less ice time than those 5.
My perspective seems to match up well when you compare his shots at his home games (I rarely was able to watch an away game outside of the weekend) versus games away from the MTS Centre. He had 23 shots on home ice in 19 games. That is about 1.2 shots a game. His away stats are better with 31 shots in total in 16 games which equates to and average about 1.9 shots per game. Unfortunately, I do not have his stats of shots taken vs shots that hit the net so you might be right on this point.

Last edited by Inflict: 08-31-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:06 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
So, what would you have done? Given him a qualifying offer? That'd have been in the area of $2.5M.
Probably not, but definitely attempt to sign him on July 1st to a prove-you-still-have-it contract.

Poni-Antro-Fehr would be a huge 3rd line.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote