HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P Dupuis (the good one)

Old
08-31-2012, 09:14 AM
wgknestrick

vCash: 500
P Dupuis (the good one)

I am still in awe of Duper's last season. Most fans acknowledge he had a great year, but "how great" is a good topic for a thread. (Warning: I am a heavy stats guy).

Would you believe me if I stated that Dupers scored points at a slightly higher rate than Giroux at even strength? What about the center piece in the trade, Hossa? Please note that I am not suggesting Dupers is better than these players. Just putting his season into perspective with comparisons.

Would you believe me if I stated that only 6 players in the entire NHL scored even strength points at a higher rate that Dupers?

All true.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...+5+17+18+19+20

With that being said, I don't expect him to continue that insane (almost all star) rate of scoring next season. His production jumped up almost an entire point/60 min ice time. Regardless of his production level, Dupers has emerged into a great top 6 wing for us out of a player most were hoping to be traded 3 years ago.

Looking back at the trade, Hossa's rental was just icing on the cake considering who we gave up.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Shady Machine

Duper is awesome and had a great season last year, but he is not a "great top 6 wing". He is adequate in that role on a team with superstar centers. He is an extremely versatile guy and has shown he can produce in bunches. He's the perfect utility player because he can play on any of the top 4 lines and do a serviceable to great job. He is also a great PK'er and a big asset to the locker room.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:30 AM
SidGenoMario

The Dupuis trade looks better every year

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:30 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

I do believe I'll have to save that little nugget for the next Giroux lovefest ....
Trololololol

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

He also had the longest point streak in the NHL last year.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina View Post
I think the 3rd or 4th longest ever by a Penguin Behind Sid and Mario, but didn't he pass Jagr?

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:13 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina View Post
And since I think the playoffs don't count, it's still running.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:31 AM
cassius

I loved seeing Dupuis silence all the critics and bashers last season.

The guy is a heck of a hockey player.

Miscast for the top-6 by a function of our salary cap issues? Absolutely

But there is no denying he busts his tail on every shift and he's a heck of a player. Easily the best bargain in the NHL on a raw cap hit basis.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:32 AM
rmartin65

My girlfriend and I got a cat a couple weeks ago. Named him Duper

rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post

But there is no denying he busts his tail on every shift and he's a heck of a player. Easily the best bargain in the NHL on a raw cap hit basis.
As far as guys signed to their 3rd deal or later, sure. Hard to argue with Giroux under 4M though.

Old
08-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
As far as guys signed to their 3rd deal or later, sure. Hard to argue with Giroux under 4M though.
But then again:

"Would you believe me if I stated that Dupers scored points at a slightly higher rate than Giroux at even strength? "

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Thanks DAAANNNNN.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
My girlfriend and I got a cat a couple weeks ago. Named him Duper
I take it this cat has blazing speed and is not afraid to backcheck?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I take it this cat has blazing speed and is not afraid to backcheck?
and goes around saying Hey to the girlfriend and **** you to rmartin65

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:55 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post

Make no mistake about it. Dupers is a solid top 6 forward.

He also outscored Neal, Staal, and Kunitz at even strength last year.

Dupers was also 3rd on the Pens behind the almighty Malkin/Neal in goals/60min. Yes, even ahead of Crosby. (WTF Crosby, you aren't even better than Dupers?)

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...5+17+18+19+20#

If I had to price him out right now, I'd probably put him at 3.5mil-4mil / year. It is tough though because he should be declining in production at 33 years old, but seems to be getting better.

The man can grow a beard like no other. I'd like to see Hossa grow a beard half as good.

Compare that to Staal's Amish Paradise

Old
08-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
But then again:

"Would you believe me if I stated that Dupers scored points at a slightly higher rate than Giroux at even strength? "
so what you're saying is Disco probably should have given Duper the powerplay time to challenge for top 5 scoring in the league.

fair enough

Old
08-31-2012, 12:19 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
The Dupuis trade looks better every year
It now looks so much better than in years past that we can officially call it "The Dupuis trade"

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:25 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Make no mistake about it. Dupers is a solid top 6 forward.

He also outscored Neal, Staal, and Kunitz at even strength last year.

Dupers was also 3rd on the Pens behind the almighty Malkin/Neal in goals/60min. Yes, even ahead of Crosby. (WTF Crosby, you aren't even better than Dupers?)

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...5+17+18+19+20#

If I had to price him out right now, I'd probably put him at 3.5mil-4mil / year. It is tough though because he should be declining in production at 33 years old, but seems to be getting better.

The man can grow a beard like no other. I'd like to see Hossa grow a beard half as good.

Dupuis is not a solid top 6 forward on most teams. I don't know how else to say it. He is a great hockey player and we are very lucky to have him, but any team that would pay him 3.5-4 mil is off their rocker.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:45 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:

Never really cared for that look. Always puts me in the mind of Dr. Zaius

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:15 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Dupuis is not a solid top 6 forward on most teams. I don't know how else to say it. He is a great hockey player and we are very lucky to have him, but any team that would pay him 3.5-4 mil is off their rocker.
Sure, that was a correct statement 3-4 years ago, but that was then. The grass isn't always greener. I will take Dupers over many 1st line wingers and almost every 2nd line winger. Even strength production is king in helping your team win games.

I am totally fine with Duper AND TK in our top 6. Pens didn't have the #1 offense last year because our top 6 was full of bottom 6 wingers. I don't want to go through another Scuderi type situation where the Pens let someone walk who they shouldn't.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Sure, that was a correct statement 3-4 years ago, but that was then. The grass isn't always greener. I will take Dupers over many 1st line wingers and almost every 2nd line winger. Even strength production is king in helping your team win games.

I am totally fine with Duper AND TK in our top 6. Pens didn't have the #1 offense last year because our top 6 was full of bottom 6 wingers. I don't want to go through another Scuderi type situation where the Pens let someone walk who they shouldn't.
you can make this argument based on last year. He really needs to prove he can do anything close to that again to earn this kind of praise. And I love Duper.

Old
08-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:

Dupes had a career year at age 33, after being a reliable 35+ point player for a couple years before that. He played very well last year, but let's see how he follows it up before we commit a decent chunk of change to him.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:44 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

I used to be one of the biggest Dupuis attackers here, but he has become a very good asset here. Still, and I don't think anyone would debate this, Dupuis would still be best used in a bottom six role. Ideally a L3 winger. But it is awesome to have a guy that isn't a legit top 6 winger, but can play literally on any line and produce at an acceptable pace.

He is getting up there in age, so I doubt he will replicate that streak he did last year... Which was awesome. But its awesome to have such a role player that can play anywhere in the forward lineup. And is a great bench/lockerroom presence.

Thinking about it, Dupuis maybe a good guy to put around Beau Bennett. Dupuis gets the results he does through smart play, and putting him in position to get the best result with hustle and hard work. He doesn't do it with smooth skill. He was blessed with a fast set of wheels, but hands... Not so much. If Dupuis could teach and imbue his work ethic and on ice view into Bennett we may end up with a deadly winger on our hands.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 03:46 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Would you believe me if I stated that TK scored points at a higher rate than Igilna, Hall, Skinner, Selanne, E Stall, Ryan, Kovy, Jagr, and Rick Nash at even strength?

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...8+19+20#snip=f

Might want to clean that puke up. That sure sounds like top 6 company to me. Once again, the grass is not always greener. TK is a solid top 6 winger that gets very little ice time. If he were to finally receive a solid 15-17min /game, you'd see his point totals shoot up considerably.