HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Things to do in Denver when you're still alive...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-21-2012, 09:16 PM
  #1
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,936
vCash: 7658
Things to do in Denver when you're still alive...

Hey guys,

I need some help from some of you local folk seeing as I'm going to be heading to Denver in late September. Our yearly 'Boys NFL Trip' is taking us to Denver this time around .

I'd love know:

- what place has the best wings in Downtown Denver?
- apart from seeing the Broncos and Rockies (maybe Cutthroats) is there anything else that would be a cool thing to do?
- is there anything that I should not miss out on??

Any input would be much appreciated.

Oh and no, in case you're wondering, the irony certainly isn't lost on me that I'm FINALLY coming to Denver and there is a very good chance that the Avs won't be playing at all. The lockout will probably be announced on my 40th birthday...thanks NHL.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:26 PM
  #2
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Hey guys,

I need some help from some of you local folk seeing as I'm going to be heading to Denver in late September. Our yearly 'Boys NFL Trip' is taking us to Denver this time around .

I'd love know:

- what place has the best wings in Downtown Denver?
- apart from seeing the Broncos and Rockies (maybe Cutthroats) is there anything else that would be a cool thing to do?
- is there anything that I should not miss out on??

Any input would be much appreciated.

Oh and no, in case you're wondering, the irony certainly isn't lost on me that I'm FINALLY coming to Denver and there is a very good chance that the Avs won't be playing at all. The lockout will probably be announced on my 40th birthday...thanks NHL.
Don't know where you're coming from, but September in the high country is awesome. Rather than focusing on wings, maybe get up there and check it out.

I'm not so sure about the Cutthroats - I'm glad there's a minor league team coming here, but they're going to be playing in a mausoleum, and in one of the truly lousy neighborhoods in Denver.

And depending on the CBA stuff, you may be here during training camp.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:30 PM
  #3
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,204
vCash: 50
Sadly for you folks the best stuff to do in Colorado is not in Denver. Denver is a pretty boring city TBH.

My favourite things to do is shop on 16th Street Mall watching all the hobos make drug deals with each other. Sometimes you get a fight.

Art Museum is one of the best in the country and is worth checking out.

If you like history they always have tours of historic Denver including heading down Millionaires Road and LoDo, and haunted locations. Also tour guides are really good people to ask about Denver restaurants and etc.

Try to take Lightrail down to Northeast Aurora as well, very beautiful there.

The Denver garden place thing is pretty chill if you want to waste time. I actually had a lot of fun, but that was because my friends and I were kind of drunk and decided to go take modeling poses with my friend's 5,000 dollar camera.

Lucky for you Lightrail now goes South of Denver where there is a lot of more thigns to do, IMO. But the tickets now are pretty pricey. Check out Cherry Creek mall on anyday if you have money. Also check out Park Meadows mall (not on a weekend, seriously don't) for a more wallet friendly area.

Wisdom, stay away from Boulder except if you can get a ride to Estes Park (ESPECIALLY in the fall) also Georgetown is an awesome place as well if you want that fall scene in the mountains and go for a train ride. I think it's open in the fall?!



All in all, stay away from Boulder and every place and focus all your time in East and Northeast Aurora.







Also there was a post that Sam (landeslog) did a while back that was a super-awesome-friendly-guide if you decide to look for it, because it is definitely an amazing read.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:46 PM
  #4
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,936
vCash: 7658
Thanks for your input guys. I'm not 100% sure what the other 4 guys are gonna want to do but we're definitely going to drink beer and we're definitely going to eat some wings.

Apart from that, it's kinda wide open. Just wanted to know if there were places to hit for sure and/or places to avoid.

Also wanted to make sure we don't miss out on something really cool because we just didn't know much about the place.

We're coming in from Montreal so it should be quite different.

I will try to find that guide from Landeslog.

Thanks!

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:51 PM
  #5
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,204
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Thanks for your input guys. I'm not 100% sure what the other 4 guys are gonna want to do but we're definitely going to drink beer and we're definitely going to eat some wings.

Apart from that, it's kinda wide open. Just wanted to know if there were places to hit for sure and/or places to avoid.

Also wanted to make sure we don't miss out on something really cool because we just didn't know much about the place.

We're coming in from Montreal so it should be quite different.

I will try to find that guide from Landeslog.

Thanks!
Woah that is where I'm from, Sainte-Catherine to be exact. Have you ever been to Chuck Hughes restaurant in Old Montreal?

Have you ever been to Vancouver or Calgary???? Colorado is just like Vancouver that without a big Asian population and of course the water. Calgary in terms of steak, country, cowboys, and basically everything else.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:25 AM
  #6
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,377
vCash: 142
as mentioned, the draw of Colorado is not the urban areas. Your time would be better spent hiking, mountain biking, white water rafting, etc.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:40 AM
  #7
Hennessy
Blank Space
 
Hennessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Östersund, Sweden
Country: United States
Posts: 6,769
vCash: 1100
Casa Bonita. Loitering on Colfax. Denver Mint.

I've not been to the city since around 1997, but I doubt much has changed. Colfax might have been gentrified by now. I hated LoDo when I left, but I assume it's still the hot spot. Bland, especially if you're coming from Montreal.

Denver is a nice town, but it doesn't accost you with excitement. You've got to find your niche and then track it down. The real draw is what lies about an hour west of the town, but I don't think you and your friends are looking to get up into the mountains.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:59 AM
  #8
IWantSakicAsMyGM
Registered User
 
IWantSakicAsMyGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,684
vCash: 500
If you are near downtown, Wynkoop Brewery has some good beer and decent food. Rock Bottom also isn't too bad.

If you can get out of the downtown area, go to the Bull and Bush (Cherry Creek area). English style pub with some of the best beer I've had anywhere. Usually busy, but if you can get there during off-hours, or don't mind waiting, it's worth it.

I would also recommend hitting up Biker Jim's (cart at 16th St. and Arapahoe, or restaraunt at 20th St. and Larimer). All sorts of game meats (Elk, Wild Boar, Rattlesnake, etc) made into hot dogs/bratwurst, served with onions cooked in Coke and cream cheese. It sounds weird, but it's addictively good.

Denver Art Museum is very cool, if you like that kind of thing. The Botanical Gardens are fun for a relaxed afternoon, but not all that exciting.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:09 PM
  #9
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 29,644
vCash: 500
Stay at the Bugs Bunny Motel.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:35 PM
  #10
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,936
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Woah that is where I'm from, Sainte-Catherine to be exact. Have you ever been to Chuck Hughes restaurant in Old Montreal?

Have you ever been to Vancouver or Calgary???? Colorado is just like Vancouver that without a big Asian population and of course the water. Calgary in terms of steak, country, cowboys, and basically everything else.
I haven't been to Chuck's restaurant yet.

I'm actually quite embarrassed to say that I haven't been to Vancouver or Calgary. I've mostly travelled to Florida and western New York (since I'm from southern ontario) and wherever this annual football trip takes me. [Buffalo, New York, Pittsburgh so far]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Casa Bonita. Loitering on Colfax. Denver Mint.

I've not been to the city since around 1997, but I doubt much has changed. Colfax might have been gentrified by now. I hated LoDo when I left, but I assume it's still the hot spot. Bland, especially if you're coming from Montreal.

Denver is a nice town, but it doesn't accost you with excitement. You've got to find your niche and then track it down. The real draw is what lies about an hour west of the town, but I don't think you and your friends are looking to get up into the mountains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantSakicAsMyGM View Post
If you are near downtown, Wynkoop Brewery has some good beer and decent food. Rock Bottom also isn't too bad.

If you can get out of the downtown area, go to the Bull and Bush (Cherry Creek area). English style pub with some of the best beer I've had anywhere. Usually busy, but if you can get there during off-hours, or don't mind waiting, it's worth it.

I would also recommend hitting up Biker Jim's (cart at 16th St. and Arapahoe, or restaraunt at 20th St. and Larimer). All sorts of game meats (Elk, Wild Boar, Rattlesnake, etc) made into hot dogs/bratwurst, served with onions cooked in Coke and cream cheese. It sounds weird, but it's addictively good.

Denver Art Museum is very cool, if you like that kind of thing. The Botanical Gardens are fun for a relaxed afternoon, but not all that exciting.
Thanks for all your suggestions, really appreciate it!! I'm not sure how far away we'll stray from downtown but will keep this in mind.

Thanks!

Oh and if this indirectly supporting the red wings, I want no part of it! http://elitchgardens.com/

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:57 AM
  #11
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,697
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Here's my latest pics -

1) Red Rocks (via a concert or Film On The Rocks)

2) Denver Beer Co (for the scene) or Copper Kettle Brewery (for the beer). I can't stand Denver Beer Co's beer but it's always crazy there for whatever reason. Copper Kettle's location is horrible but their beer is the best in Denver. Absolutely amazing stuff they brew there.

3) Linger for a cocktail - best view of the city. Make sure you take the black staircase to the right when you walk in. It's kind of hidden. And dress up, because the ladies there are hot.

4) Broncos Game - Football is to Denver what hockey is to Canada

5) Buckhorn Exchange - First liquor license in CO, and a good taste of the old west (game meat)

6) Coors Field - Awesome venue

7) Wash Park

8) Little Man Ice Cream - Not the best flavored ice cream (Liks is better..Sweet Action mayyybe) but they give you the most for your money and have all outdoor seating

9) REI Flagship Store - Love that place

10) The mountains - hiking, biking, whatever.


Bender - I live in downtown, so if you need anything specific let me know. I don't know of a good wings place, except Wing Stop but it's kind of in the ghetto and it's a chain. Gov's park makes some decent wings as well and that's a football haven for watching games. But let me know if you need anything else. I live right behind Coors Field so I am literally 5 minutes walking to all the hot spots. Are you going to have a car with you or no?


Last edited by Bonzai12: 08-23-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:18 PM
  #12
IWantSakicAsMyGM
Registered User
 
IWantSakicAsMyGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I haven't been to Chuck's restaurant yet.

I'm actually quite embarrassed to say that I haven't been to Vancouver or Calgary. I've mostly travelled to Florida and western New York (since I'm from southern ontario) and wherever this annual football trip takes me. [Buffalo, New York, Pittsburgh so far]





Thanks for all your suggestions, really appreciate it!! I'm not sure how far away we'll stray from downtown but will keep this in mind.

Thanks!

Oh and if this indirectly supporting the red wings, I want no part of it! http://elitchgardens.com/
It's Mike Ilitch, not Elitch, so no issue there. But, he is the reason I refuse to eat Little Ceasers pizza.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 06:34 PM
  #13
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,204
vCash: 50
#4 is crap.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:33 PM
  #14
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,377
vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantSakicAsMyGM View Post
It's Mike Ilitch, not Elitch, so no issue there. But, he is the reason I refuse to eat Little Ceasers pizza.
I refuse to eat Little Ceasar's pizza because it tastes like a rhino's poopchute

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:10 PM
  #15
SB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
El Chapultepec is a classic, jazz music and Mexican food. Used to be in a sketch part of town until Coors Field was built, now just on the border of a sketch part of town. Hole in the wall, great musicians used to drop in and play (not sure if they still do b/c I don't do that stuff anymore, but I still like going there on occasion)


http://thepeclodo.com/index.html

SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:12 PM
  #16
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills
 
madman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steamboat Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Here's my latest pics -

1) Red Rocks (via a concert or Film On The Rocks)

2) Denver Beer Co (for the scene) or Copper Kettle Brewery (for the beer). I can't stand Denver Beer Co's beer but it's always crazy there for whatever reason. Copper Kettle's location is horrible but their beer is the best in Denver. Absolutely amazing stuff they brew there.

3) Linger for a cocktail - best view of the city. Make sure you take the black staircase to the right when you walk in. It's kind of hidden. And dress up, because the ladies there are hot.

4) Broncos Game - Football is to Denver what hockey is to Canada

5) Buckhorn Exchange - First liquor license in CO, and a good taste of the old west (game meat)

6) Coors Field - Awesome venue

7) Wash Park

8) Little Man Ice Cream - Not the best flavored ice cream (Liks is better..Sweet Action mayyybe) but they give you the most for your money and have all outdoor seating

9) REI Flagship Store - Love that place

10) The mountains - hiking, biking, whatever.


Bender - I live in downtown, so if you need anything specific let me know. I don't know of a good wings place, except Wing Stop but it's kind of in the ghetto and it's a chain. Gov's park makes some decent wings as well and that's a football haven for watching games. But let me know if you need anything else. I live right behind Coors Field so I am literally 5 minutes walking to all the hot spots. Are you going to have a car with you or no?

Great post Bonzai. Agreed on all accounts. Linger happy hour (food and drink) is especially awesome, and Little Man is right next door. Cool, trendy part of the city too.

Regarding hot wings: if you can make it out to Golden/Morrison (approx 15 mins west of Denver), assuming you make the rounds doing the Coors tour, enjoy the AWESOME beer at Golden City Brewery, and want to swing down for a film/show at Red Rocks, Willy's Wings is located in a seedy little prefab building in downtown Morrison on the creek, and their wings are great. Nothing fancy - just a bunch of different sauces, good prices, and great for a pre-Red Rocks meal. I grew up in Morrison and can happily report the place hasn't changed much, if at all. All Denver sports decor, bonus!

The new Colorado History Museum is really worth seeing, and the Denver Art Museum is world class and in the same vicinity. Botanic Gardens/Zoo/Natural History Museum are all in the City Park area and worth checking out if you dig that sort of stuff.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 08:36 AM
  #17
Sgarbossy
Registered User
 
Sgarbossy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,348
vCash: 50
Lots of great places to eat in the Denver area. 2 of my favorites for breakfast/brunch are 'Breakfast on Broadway' and 'The Office'.

As others have said, the Denver Art Museum is good, but pricey. The Museum of Natural History will be doing an exhibit on Pompeii/Mt Vesuvius during that time if any of your party are interested in that type of this. Its supposed to be a great display.

Denver Botanical Gardens is more than just a nice place to waste time. If any of your party are into horticulture or plants in general it is worth a visit.

LoDo sucks, especially at night and especially on the weekend. It smells of urine, vomit, and rotting humanity. 16th St mall area is decent for a daytime excursion. Eating, drinking, and people watching are about all youll find.

Even if you can't get your buddies to want to hit up the mountains for extended recreation, at least try to talk them into a drive up to Georgetown or Idaho Springs. Mt Evans has a road that allows you to drive up nearly to the tiptop of a 14er. Rocky Mountain National Park has Trail Ridge Road, which is the highest continuous paved highway in the US. The tundra is quite a treat.

Red Rocks is a landmark worth seeing.

Lots of great breweries to check out.

Im running out of steam here.

Sgarbossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 06:53 PM
  #18
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills
 
madman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steamboat Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,933
vCash: 500
Breweries abound. If you like beer, you'll be happy here.

Yep, LoDo is next to the ballpark and trendy, but the general vibe is pretty upscale and tacky. Popular and good for pre-Rockies food/drinks, but if you really want to see some of the gems of the city, you'll have to look beyond lower downtown. Uptown/Highlands/City Park/Golden Triangle are all close by and have a plethora of great neighborhood attractions for food and art, and there are quite a few great live music venues if you're interested in catching a show. Denver also has one of the best performing arts centers in the country.

Here's a nice overview of Denver's art districts

If you make it to the southern part of the city, check out Washington Park and the Old South Pearl arts district along with the Bonnie Brae neighborhood. Really neat, historic parts of the city that are super pedestrian friendly. Also, DU/Observatory Park are worth wandering around if you're keen to see the university; too bad it sounds like you'll just miss out on college hockey season as well.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 10:46 PM
  #19
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,936
vCash: 7658
Thanks for all this wonderful info guys, I really appreciate it!

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:45 PM
  #20
SB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Sgarbossy;53822113]

Even if you can't get your buddies to want to hit up the mountains for extended recreation, at least try to talk them into a drive up to Georgetown or Idaho Springs. Mt Evans has a road that allows you to drive up nearly to the tiptop of a 14er. Rocky Mountain National Park has Trail Ridge Road, which is the highest continuous paved highway in the US. The tundra is quite a treat.
/QUOTE]

Great idea, but make sure to check if they are open; depending on weather conditions, could be closed for winter at that point.

Late September is prime aspen viewing time, so definitely try to get up for at least a drive. Kenosha Pass is usually great and easy access. Guanella Pass, too, outside Georgetown, will give you a peek at some high alpine (Mt Bierstadt is right there). St Mary's Glacier might be a good hike, too, also just outside Idaho Springs.

Some picks from late Sept/early Oct last year:








SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 01:29 AM
  #21
famicommander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
If you like drinking and also like 1980s arcade games there is the 1up and 2up. They're bars with all the classics-- Galaga, Pac-Man, Centipede, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Joust, Dig Dug, etc. The 1up is the larger of the two and it isn't far from Coors Field. They have outdoor patios, a larger selection of games, and it isn't on Colfax like the 2up (Colfax isn't a great street to be on in Denver or Aurora, just FYI).

famicommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:39 PM
  #22
Landeslog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,128
vCash: 500
It would really be a shame to come all the way here and not make it up to the mountains. Estes Park in September is one of the best places ever.
Also, if you like beer, especially strange beer, you can stop by Avery Brewery in Boulder since you'd have to go through there anyways. They have a great tap room.

Can't help you on the wings front but let me know if you need help finding a good cheeseburger.

The Burgundy & White game is supposed to be late September so if there's no lockout you should be able to catch that or at least some of training camp.

Denver is a small, clean, and relatively safe city compared to most (east Colfax is still scary, there's some nice looking places up there now but still a lot of prostitution and gangs at night, though). But it's also pretty boring. There's not a lot to see if you're just planning on walking around. Art museum is awesome even if you're not into art. The History museum is just okay but the zoo is pretty good and has an awesome new Asia exhibit that I haven't seen yet but I've heard is amazing.

Rockies tickets are SUPER cheap and Coors Field is pretty nice. A couple of blocks away is my favorite brewery on Earth, Great Divide. They also have a great tap room. They make my favorite stout and their taproom has SIX variations of the one beer. I'm in heaven there.

Boulder would be cool if 90% of the population moved away. Too busy and the worst kind of people but if you find yourself there, Pearl Street Mall is pretty cool. Especially on the weekends when you get all the street performers. At the end of the mall you have to eat at West End Tavern. GREAT beer choices. fantastic. Food is alright but the beer, OMG. Boulder Beer is also a good a tour. Founded it 1970 it was the first microbrewery in Colorado. Usually I skip tours and just do the tap rooms because all beer is pretty similar but Boulder Beer does a good tour and is worth a visit.
I would say to try the New Belgium tour but that's kind of far from Denver and you have to reserve your tour spot pretty far in advance. Ahh I'm getting carried away with beer.



Denver is good for sports and drinking. The fun is in the mountains.

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:48 AM
  #23
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,936
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeslog View Post
It would really be a shame to come all the way here and not make it up to the mountains. Estes Park in September is one of the best places ever.
Also, if you like beer, especially strange beer, you can stop by Avery Brewery in Boulder since you'd have to go through there anyways. They have a great tap room.

Can't help you on the wings front but let me know if you need help finding a good cheeseburger.

The Burgundy & White game is supposed to be late September so if there's no lockout you should be able to catch that or at least some of training camp.

Denver is a small, clean, and relatively safe city compared to most (east Colfax is still scary, there's some nice looking places up there now but still a lot of prostitution and gangs at night, though). But it's also pretty boring. There's not a lot to see if you're just planning on walking around. Art museum is awesome even if you're not into art. The History museum is just okay but the zoo is pretty good and has an awesome new Asia exhibit that I haven't seen yet but I've heard is amazing.

Rockies tickets are SUPER cheap and Coors Field is pretty nice. A couple of blocks away is my favorite brewery on Earth, Great Divide. They also have a great tap room. They make my favorite stout and their taproom has SIX variations of the one beer. I'm in heaven there.

Boulder would be cool if 90% of the population moved away. Too busy and the worst kind of people but if you find yourself there, Pearl Street Mall is pretty cool. Especially on the weekends when you get all the street performers. At the end of the mall you have to eat at West End Tavern. GREAT beer choices. fantastic. Food is alright but the beer, OMG. Boulder Beer is also a good a tour. Founded it 1970 it was the first microbrewery in Colorado. Usually I skip tours and just do the tap rooms because all beer is pretty similar but Boulder Beer does a good tour and is worth a visit.
I would say to try the New Belgium tour but that's kind of far from Denver and you have to reserve your tour spot pretty far in advance. Ahh I'm getting carried away with beer.

Denver is good for sports and drinking. The fun is in the mountains.
Thanks for all the suggestions. We already have Broncos and Rockies tickets but we're staying 5 days, so trying to figure out stuff to do in advance.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:03 PM
  #24
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,936
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Here's my latest pics -

1) Red Rocks (via a concert or Film On The Rocks)

2) Denver Beer Co (for the scene) or Copper Kettle Brewery (for the beer). I can't stand Denver Beer Co's beer but it's always crazy there for whatever reason. Copper Kettle's location is horrible but their beer is the best in Denver. Absolutely amazing stuff they brew there.

3) Linger for a cocktail - best view of the city. Make sure you take the black staircase to the right when you walk in. It's kind of hidden. And dress up, because the ladies there are hot.

4) Broncos Game - Football is to Denver what hockey is to Canada

5) Buckhorn Exchange - First liquor license in CO, and a good taste of the old west (game meat)

6) Coors Field - Awesome venue

7) Wash Park

8) Little Man Ice Cream - Not the best flavored ice cream (Liks is better..Sweet Action mayyybe) but they give you the most for your money and have all outdoor seating

9) REI Flagship Store - Love that place

10) The mountains - hiking, biking, whatever.


Bender - I live in downtown, so if you need anything specific let me know. I don't know of a good wings place, except Wing Stop but it's kind of in the ghetto and it's a chain. Gov's park makes some decent wings as well and that's a football haven for watching games. But let me know if you need anything else. I live right behind Coors Field so I am literally 5 minutes walking to all the hot spots. Are you going to have a car with you or no?
Not sure yet.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it, I'll let you know if anything specific comes up. We're staying at the sheraton in downtown, so hopefully, that's close to pretty much everything.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:05 PM
  #25
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,697
vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Not sure yet.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it, I'll let you know if anything specific comes up. We're staying at the sheraton in downtown, so hopefully, that's close to pretty much everything.
Cool that's basically right across the street from where I work. You'll have access to the 16th street mall bus which is free. If you don't have a car, you should go to Great Divide Brewery, a Rockies Game, a Broncos game, Linger/Little Man, the Denver Mint if you can reserve a time....Larimer St has great restaurants but pricy...Denver Art Museum.....But anyways, you can get to all of these places without a car. All of them are very easily accessible walking or taking the free mall bus ride.

On Saturdays the bar scene will be lively too around Market St between 19th and 20th....Everyone's college FB games are on and every bar has a team. Good drinking day for sure.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.