HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2012, 04:29 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

vCash: 500
This week's haul...trying to find the best pumpkin ale (that I can find in my area) early and then go forward with a case. Ichabod was solid, still have 4 remaining from last week, but snapped up another 6er. Schlafly has great ratings so I'll try that as well. Stayed away from a few others that have poor ratings.

OAB is easily one of my favorite brews now, had to get some more.

Haven't had a good doppelbock in a while, going to try some Italian Moretti, which is highly rated.

6 pk. Oaked Arrogant Basttard

6 pk. New Holland Ichabod Pumpkin Ale

6 pk. Schlafly Pumpkin Ale

4 pk. North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

6 pk. Moretti La Rossa Doppio Malta (Doppelbock)

6 pk. Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Also got some Orangecello to mix in with my rum concoctions.

Hmm...I think I need some IPA's next trip.

Last edited by HuskerTornado: 08-31-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old
08-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Anyone hitting up the Ribfest this weekend @ Heinz field?

I'm thinking about checking it out. It's so tough to find good BBQ around this city, so you gotta capitalize on any opportunity!

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...1-89c4b3932d2f
it's about quarter til Ribs

Old
08-31-2012, 06:49 PM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
This week's haul...trying to find the best pumpkin ale (that I can find in my area) early and then go forward with a case. Ichabod was solid, still have 4 remaining from last week, but snapped up another 6er. Schlafly has great ratings so I'll try that as well. Stayed away from a few others that have poor ratings.

OAB is easily one of my favorite brews now, had to get some more.

Haven't had a good doppelbock in a while, going to try some Italian Moretti, which is highly rated.

6 pk. Oaked Arrogant Basttard

6 pk. New Holland Ichabod Pumpkin Ale

6 pk. Schlafly Pumpkin Ale

4 pk. North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

6 pk. Moretti La Rossa Doppio Malta (Doppelbock)

6 pk. Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Also got some Orangecello to mix in with my rum concoctions.

Hmm...I think I need some IPA's next trip.
I feel like we've created a monster!

Old
08-31-2012, 07:09 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
I feel like we've created a monster!
Just happy that I found a place that has a really great beer selection, albeit a 30 minute drive (I'm in a dry county..very lame, but it's on the ballot to change in November).

Old
08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
DJ Spinoza

Finally tapped into some Russian River brews on tap tonight... living in Philly does have its upside. Hopefully I'll be able to spot some Pliny the Younger in February/March.

Old
08-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Mr. T

I stopped by Cascade to beat a massive traffic jam and was rewarded with a bunch of free samples of some fancy, barrel aged goodness. Along with Russian River, they brew the best sours anywhere around.

Old
09-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Burkle

Never really posted here but been following a few threads since the early summer, this being one of them...just wanted to announce that I found two bottles of Nugget Nectar hiding at D's last night. I was really surprised! Hope they don't taste too old and stale...

Old
09-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I'd almost forgotten about the pleasure of a cigar and a glass of Scotch.

I'm so used to living in places that don't allow smoking (and enforce that rigidly) that it's been almost two years since I've had a full cigar; after that being a weekly vice for about four years.

The cost of alcohol here is going to push me back to my old cigar and whiskey ways, I think. The beer selection can be great at times, but beer is so much more expensive than I'm used to...meanwhile the whiskey selection has grown three-fold and has been cut in half price-wise...I've always been more of a whiskey at home and beer at the bars drinker and I still haven't found a bar worth half a damn near me. I'm hoping/expecting taking a couple classes at UCLA will help open up my world in regards to that soon.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
09-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I can't decide which I like less, Whiskey or Cigars

On a plus note, we got a blender from the wedding registry. I made myself a mean Strawberry Banana Daiquiri earlier. Berry Blend Frozen Margarita for the Mrs.

Old
09-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Old
09-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Mr. T

I went back to Cascade and had their barrel-aged imperial stout. This is 100% a whiskey lover's stout, it almost smells more like whiskey than beer. This was a very complex beer with chocolate, molasses, vanilla all up front and then a nice warm, boozy finish.

It's nice and chilly today, might go out for some pumpkin beer later.

Old
09-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
I went back to Cascade and had their barrel-aged imperial stout. This is 100% a whiskey lover's stout, it almost smells more like whiskey than beer. This was a very complex beer with chocolate, molasses, vanilla all up front and then a nice warm, boozy finish.

Old
09-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Mr. T

Cascade only does very limited bottling of their beer, sadly this isn't one of them. This seems like it would age really well, too. A shame. I need to hit them up a few more times while they still have this.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Just finished a fifth of Gentleman Jack and really enjoyed it. Any suggestions for my next fifth?

Vodka is out of the question.

Old
09-05-2012, 07:31 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
Just finished a fifth of Gentleman Jack and really enjoyed it. Any suggestions for my next fifth?

Vodka is out of the question.
Knob Creek, Makers 46, Buffalo Trace?

Old
09-05-2012, 08:40 AM
cassius

Heads up for the Pumpkin ale guys:

Apparently the restaurant in schenley plaza (forget the name) has $3 pumpkin drafts.

Not a fan of that style of beer, but it seems like a great deal if you want to get a nice brew on draft.

Old
09-05-2012, 09:54 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I'd almost forgotten about the pleasure of a cigar and a glass of Scotch.
Excellent timing with this post man.

Am thinking of buying my first bottle of Scotch as soon as I move to pair with a nice cigar for my birthday and as kind of a "ahhh I'm finally all settled in...now I can relax" kind of thing.

Any reccomendations? I was thinking of going with a 200 ml. bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label for $16 as my first thing to try. Yay or nay??? If nay, what would be a better choice?? Keep in mind I'm in Canada so I dunno if our LCBO will have everything you may reccomend. Plus I don't wanna spend too much, both because I'm poor and I dunno if I like Scotch yet.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

If you don't know if you like it then trying out something in a smaller bottle probably is wise, and most of them don't come in smaller bottles.

I love Scotch, but I'm always terrified to buy good ones just because of the cost involved.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Excellent timing with this post man.

Am thinking of buying my first bottle of Scotch as soon as I move to pair with a nice cigar for my birthday and as kind of a "ahhh I'm finally all settled in...now I can relax" kind of thing.

Any reccomendations? I was thinking of going with a 200 ml. bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label for $16 as my first thing to try. Yay or nay??? If nay, what would be a better choice?? Keep in mind I'm in Canada so I dunno if our LCBO will have everything you may reccomend. Plus I don't wanna spend too much, both because I'm poor and I dunno if I like Scotch yet.
Johnnie Walker Black is not a bad place to start, and it's my namesake actually, but at the end of the day it's a blended scotch. Blends are always a little less flavorful in my opinion, as you're dealing with a blend of single malts from different distilleries, so the character of each gets muddled together.

Single malt is generally the way to go for scotches, because you're dealing with a malting from one distillery that generally aged it in the exact same kinds of barrels, at the exact same location for a much more distinct taste. It's also generally more expensive.

If you just want to see if you like scotch or not, and want to keep the cost down, JW Black is probably a solid choice.. maybe even the best possible choice. If you love it, though, and want to swing for the fences, go with anything from this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Single_Malts

Old
09-05-2012, 10:52 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

**Suggestions noted***

Thanks guys.

And yeah Big I know that good Scotch = hella expensive.

You shouldn't be terrified to splurge on a good bottle though. Think of it like this. Would you rather have one nice bottle that you can break out every now and then and sip and really savour...or...a more "affordable" bottle that's of so-so quality.

If a bottle of Scotch lasts you awhile, go for the good stuff amigo.

Old
09-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Oh yeah, but the bottle I busted out a few nights ago was one that I bought over a year ago

It's that 'special occasion' mindset...and apparently graduating and moving weren't big enough milestones to get it opened, but a cigar got that thing opened right up.

The fact that whiskey is about half as expensive here as it was in Montana will probably help. I can get 1.75L of Johnny Walker Red for about the same price as I could get a L of Canadian Club in Montana.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:18 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Oh yeah, but the bottle I busted out a few nights ago was one that I bought over a year ago

It's that 'special occasion' mindset...and apparently graduating and moving weren't big enough milestones to get it opened, but a cigar got that thing opened right up.

The fact that whiskey is about half as expensive here as it was in Montana will probably help. I can get 1.75L of Johnny Walker Red for about the same price as I could get a L of Canadian Club in Montana.
That's great.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
Knob Creek, Makers 46, Buffalo Trace?
second on all of those. but especially the Buffalo Trace. one of my favorites.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:38 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
second on all of those. but especially the Buffalo Trace. one of my favorites.
Think it may be the cheapest out of the bunch. Not to be as ass, but I often google liquor looking for opinions on various brands. At the big liquor store in the SH, there is an array of different brands.

Something I keep forgetting to mention in here, I have been really into Caipirinhas lately. It's the national drink of Brazil and uses a rum like liquor called cachaça (made with sugar cane instead of molasses). Just put half a lime divided in thirds or quarters into a shaker with 5 sugar cubes. Muddle until almost syrup like, pour ice in, pour a 4 to 5 count of cachaça and shake. I don't strain it, but I suppose you could to get some of the lime pulp out. It's a delicious, refreshing cocktail for the end of summer. I've only seen cachaça at the big liquor store near the rum though. Leblon is the only brand I've tried as well. Here is a link to their site http://www.perfectcaipirinha.com/

Last edited by DockEllisExperience: 09-05-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old
09-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
Think it may be the cheapest out of the bunch. Not to be as ass, but I often google liquor looking for opinions on various brands. At the big liquor store in the SH, there is an array of different brands.
yup it's is the cheapest but while you're drinking it it's hard to remember that fact. it's an excellent value and can complete with the likes of Earle Rare and Knob. what makes it one of my favorites is the spice-blend (more allspice than pepper). of course there's more that goes into what makes a favorite than price or even taste. BT along with WL Weller and simple Bulleit were my go-to drinking in a bar bourbons during my time in law school - so there's a nostalgia factor as well.

Closed Thread