HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-30-2012, 08:47 AM
  #51
SLURVE
Registered User
 
SLURVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I really wish people would stop saying that Omark is too good for the AHL.

He really isn't.
...He isn't according to Renney? The Oils had too many bodies and too many bodies of the same ilk so someone had to sit or b sent down. You don't think Omark could have made the Flames or Blue Jackets etc?

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:48 AM
  #52
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
Remember when in the 2010-2011 season, we were decimated with injuries (281 man games lost), Renney had no choice but to play Omark. We had lost Horc, Hemsky, Hall, Brule, Gagner, Eberle & others. Omark and PRV became our first unit PP and top line for nearly half of the season from (Jan 2011 on) or so.

Omark and PRV showed impressive instincts with each other -Omark seemed to find PRV for nice pp goals. That was Omark and PRV first year as NHLers. Omark had 27 points in 51 games or translate to approx 43 points in 82 games in a season. Not bad for a rookie. We were all quite impress with his tenacity and skill. He has relentless pursuit ability of the puck. He doesn't give up on the puck due to his aggressive competitiveness. He is crafty and hard to get off the puck.
Much of that rookie year Omark was sitting well below .500ppg and while giving up a ton of GA. Only at the end of the season, in games that didn't matter, did Omark manage to pad some pts in atypical fashion. His broad line of work here suggests sub .500ppg and with defensive liabilities and lack of compete in own zone and lack of backchecking or coverage in neutral zone. This is a player thats basically allergic to peeling back. Next, how on Earth do you logically prorate his results to a full season when said player wasn't good enough to stick here the full season in either year and then project on the basis of erroneous proration? The jury is still out on this being an NHL player at all and you're projecting full season based on limited sample? Pay attention to how much noise there is in the sample. Also that Omark couldn't score goals here to save his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
...He isn't according to Renney? The Oils had too many bodies and too many bodies of the same ilk so someone had to sit or b sent down. You don't think Omark could have made the Flames or Blue Jackets etc?
I can't imagine Omark one year playing for anything remotely like a Sutter. He'd be dogfood there.

Columbus, lol, thats the closest thing to the AHL the NHL offers. I think it might be the one place in the NHL where they might regard him.


Last edited by The Head Crusher: 08-30-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:12 PM
  #53
SLURVE
Registered User
 
SLURVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Much of that rookie year Omark was sitting well below .500ppg and while giving up a ton of GA. Only at the end of the season, in games that didn't matter, did Omark manage to pad some pts in atypical fashion. His broad line of work here suggests sub .500ppg and with defensive liabilities and lack of compete in own zone and lack of backchecking or coverage in neutral zone. This is a player thats basically allergic to peeling back. Next, how on Earth do you logically prorate his results to a full season when said player wasn't good enough to stick here the full season in either year and then project on the basis of erroneous proration? The jury is still out on this being an NHL player at all and you're projecting full season based on limited sample? Pay attention to how much noise there is in the sample. Also that Omark couldn't score goals here to save his life.



I can't imagine Omark one year playing for anything remotely like a Sutter. He'd be dogfood there.
Columbus, lol, thats the closest thing to the AHL the NHL offers. I think it might be the one place in the NHL where they might regard him.
If you are going to apply that kind of logic to Omark, then it would also be fair to apply for all players' stats in the NHL. Omark got the points because he had the chance to get the ice time minutes just like anyone else. It is even more impressive because he was a rookie. Show me stats that rookies and even non rookies on a bad team that do not show higher minuses in the +/- category. Cut him some slack, he was a rookie coming over here from Russia to play in the NHL, is he going to be perfect in learning the game right off the bat (?). Your description of Omark's lack of defensive coverage fits at least 1/3 of the Oilers esp Gagner. So what is your point? Pro rating a player's point totals is not accurate but it is used by agents, GMS and stats guys. He was getting .53 pt/gm in those 50 or so games and for a rookie, it is pretty good.

I recall people thinking we better sign him because he was a skilled hockey player and did some crafty things on the pp in the 2010-2011 season. Did that all went away 'cause Renney could not play him?

Omark could make it as a 3rd liner in teams like Calgary and Blue Jackets, have you seen their roster lately?

The point is Omark can play in the NHL based on what he had shown as a rookie especially. Since when do teams give up on rookies or sophomores that easily when they are still in transition. If that is the case, we probably miss out on alot of fine hockey players years later. Clearly you are not an Omark fan and your judgement is poor and then again, that is your prerogative to be blowing smoke.


Last edited by The Head Crusher: 08-30-2012 at 03:13 PM.
SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:00 PM
  #54
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
If you are going to apply that kind of logic to Omark, then it would also be fair to apply for all players' stats in the NHL. Omark got the points because he had the chance to get the ice time minutes just like anyone else. It is even more impressive because he was a rookie. Show me stats that rookies and even non rookies on a bad team that do not show higher minuses in the +/- category. Cut him some slack, he was a rookie coming over here from Russia to play in the NHL, is he going to be perfect in learning the game right off the bat (?). Your description of Omark's lack of defensive coverage fits at least 1/3 of the Oilers esp Gagner. So what is your point? Pro rating a player's point totals is not accurate but it is used by agents, GMS and stats guys. He was getting .53 pt/gm in those 50 or so games and for a rookie, it is pretty good.

I recall people thinking we better sign him because he was a skilled hockey player and did some crafty things on the pp in the 2010-2011 season. Did that all went away 'cause Renney could not play him?

Omark could make it as a 3rd liner in teams like Calgary and Blue Jackets, have you seen their roster lately?

The point is Omark can play in the NHL based on what he had shown as a rookie especially. Since when do teams give up on rookies or sophomores that easily when they are still in transition. If that is the case, we probably miss out on alot of fine hockey players years later. Clearly you are not an Omark fan and your judgement is poor and then again, that is your prerogative to be blowing smoke.
So why isn't he playing in the NHL?

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:09 PM
  #55
oilexport
Registered User
 
oilexport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 844
vCash: 500
The Oilers should just release him. Let him go try out with any Team he wants. Do something nice for a player (for a change).

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 03:39 PM
  #56
SLURVE
Registered User
 
SLURVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
So why isn't he playing in the NHL?
Oilers still has Omark RFA status and I am sure Oils will want something in return. After some "bad press" 'cause of Omark's comments brought on by his competitive nature and some selfishness did not help his cause.

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:45 PM
  #57
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
If you are going to apply that kind of logic to Omark, then it would also be fair to apply for all players' stats in the NHL. Omark got the points because he had the chance to get the ice time minutes just like anyone else. It is even more impressive because he was a rookie. Show me stats that rookies and even non rookies on a bad team that do not show higher minuses in the +/- category. Cut him some slack, he was a rookie coming over here from Russia to play in the NHL, is he going to be perfect in learning the game right off the bat (?). Your description of Omark's lack of defensive coverage fits at least 1/3 of the Oilers esp Gagner. So what is your point? Pro rating a player's point totals is not accurate but it is used by agents, GMS and stats guys. He was getting .53 pt/gm in those 50 or so games and for a rookie, it is pretty good.
WEll heres the deal. With 6 gp left in that season Omark only had 21pts in 45 gp and almost all of it assists. Players that can also score goals are more valuable, period. Omark managed 6pts in last 6 gp in 2011 to make it look like he's north of .500ppg. Which he isn't at this level.

You mentioned Gagner, lets be real here, Gagner got 49pts(real, not prorated) in his rookie season as an !8 yr old. Omark was 23 and couldn't come close to anything like that.

Quote:
I recall people thinking we better sign him because he was a skilled hockey player and did some crafty things on the pp in the 2010-2011 season. Did that all went away 'cause Renney could not play him?
I recall a few dimestore tricks that got shotdown that weren't replicated here last season and that weren't likely to work much at this level.

Quote:
Omark could make it as a 3rd liner in teams like Calgary and Blue Jackets, have you seen their roster lately?
Omark on a third line? Like a checking line or a role player line? Surely you can't be serious.

Quote:
The point is Omark can play in the NHL based on what he had shown as a rookie especially. Since when do teams give up on rookies or sophomores that easily when they are still in transition.
He's 25yrs old and when last seen in the show looked like a rank amateur. Most people caught that, the Oilers caught that. Omark is next to no value at this level.

Quote:
If that is the case, we probably miss out on alot of fine hockey players years later. Clearly you are not an Omark fan and your judgement is poor and then again, that is your prerogative to be blowing smoke.
"I have poor judgement because I'm not an Omark fan.".. hooboy...

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 10:55 PM
  #58
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Listening to different radio chat shows today it sounds like the oilers did their best to trade him at the draft for a pick but there were no takers. I think the oilers should not have qualified him and let him walk for nothing. Oilers have lots of bodies and would not miss this one

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:14 AM
  #59
SLURVE
Registered User
 
SLURVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
WEll heres the deal. With 6 gp left in that season Omark only had 21pts in 45 gp and almost all of it assists. Players that can also score goals are more valuable, period. Omark managed 6pts in last 6 gp in 2011 to make it look like he's north of .500ppg. Which he isn't at this level.

You mentioned Gagner, lets be real here, Gagner got 49pts(real, not prorated) in his rookie season as an !8 yr old. Omark was 23 and couldn't come close to anything like that.

I recall a few dimestore tricks that got shotdown that weren't replicated here last season and that weren't likely to work much at this level.

Omark on a third line? Like a checking line or a role player line? Surely you can't be serious.
He's 25yrs old and when last seen in the show looked like a rank amateur. Most people caught that, the Oilers caught that. Omark is next to no value at this level.
"I have poor judgement because I'm not an Omark fan.".. hooboy...
You are suggesting Omark's points consisting of mainly assists are less important than goals...get real.

I mentioned Gagner to answer your failed point about Omark's poor defensive zone coverage resulting in his large minuses (+/-), Gagner and about 1/3 of the team while being bottom feeders also have had more minuses than pluses incl Omark.

Gagner played his whole life in North America, any players (even if 23 yrs) from another country coming over and trying to play in the NHL will have lots of adjustments and challenges (incl language, culture, lifestyle-besides everything hockey) and this is moreso than a rookie residing in North America.

Like I have said in earlier posts, Renney didn't play a rookie-sophomore of Omark because he lacks experience and not in the level of Hall, Ebs and RNH. Does this make Omark not suitable in the NHL, no, he just did not get the chance to prove himself and learn the NHL game as the above mentioned players. Since Omark is a sophomore who will likely make more mistakes than a regular player would and with his skill and talents albeit not in the top 3, he would get a greater chance to play and prove his worth on another team like the Flames or Blue Jacket.

Surely, Prendergast must be your mentor at one point or another, you possessed this knowledge that Omark do not have any place in the NHL.

I am neither a fan or a hater of Omark but like most of the posters here, we can postulate by observing how Omark has the fierce competiveness and skill to play in the NHL. A few things got in his way -too many young skill and smallish players of the same ilk on the roster, immature attitude and the Oilers not play nice to release him so he can get a chance to prove his worth with another NHL team. The Oilers still has his rights.

Unless you are Stu Macgregor, I will stick to what I have stated - Omark is not a lost cause and like any sophomore, the player just needed more ice time and a chance to learn the NHL game better.


Last edited by SLURVE: 08-31-2012 at 09:31 AM.
SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:39 AM
  #60
Q Continuum
You are Wrong
 
Q Continuum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,910
vCash: 691
Good riddance.

Q Continuum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:12 AM
  #61
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,726
vCash: 50
I do agree they probably should have just let him go and not retained his rights. It's obvious he has no place within the team so holding onto him isn't really vital... especially when his return would likely be minimal anyway.

Obviously they feel he's an asset and didn't want to just throw an asset away, probably thinking they might trade him away as part of a package this off-season. Obviously no suitable deals have arisen though and the CBA talks have basically frozen the trade market almost completely for most of the summer.

As neither a fanboy or hater of Omark, I wish him the best and hope he has a good career wherever he ends up.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 06:15 AM
  #62
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I do agree they probably should have just let him go and not retained his rights. It's obvious he has no place within the team so holding onto him isn't really vital... especially when his return would likely be minimal anyway.

Obviously they feel he's an asset and didn't want to just throw an asset away, probably thinking they might trade him away as part of a package this off-season. Obviously no suitable deals have arisen though and the CBA talks have basically frozen the trade market almost completely for most of the summer.

As neither a fanboy or hater of Omark, I wish him the best and hope he has a good career wherever he ends up.
Pretty much my sentiment. I was really excited to see what he could do, and thought he looked pretty good to close out the 2010-2011 season, but especially with Yakupov now, I just don't see any possible way to fit him on our roster for a long long time.

I guess the best we can hope for is that he absolutely tears up the Swiss league and some GM desperate for offensive help decides to send something our way for him.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:56 AM
  #63
McClelland
Registered User
 
McClelland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
WEll heres the deal. With 6 gp left in that season Omark only had 21pts in 45 gp and almost all of it assists. Players that can also score goals are more valuable, period. Omark managed 6pts in last 6 gp in 2011 to make it look like he's north of .500ppg. Which he isn't at this level.

You mentioned Gagner, lets be real here, Gagner got 49pts(real, not prorated) in his rookie season as an !8 yr old. Omark was 23 and couldn't come close to anything like that.

I recall a few dimestore tricks that got shotdown that weren't replicated here last season and that weren't likely to work much at this level.

Omark on a third line? Like a checking line or a role player line? Surely you can't be serious.

He's 25yrs old and when last seen in the show looked like a rank amateur. Most people caught that, the Oilers caught that. Omark is next to no value at this level.

"I have poor judgement because I'm not an Omark fan.".. hooboy...
I dont know if Omark is nhl caliber, i thinks so, so do Lowetide and willis, others for example Tencer and brownlee doesnt think so.

The last season was a wasted one with injurys and sickness.If we judge omark after his first season, it was down at first and up in the end of the season.He needed indeed the ahl time to get use to the na game with small rinks etc. Came that from developing his game or poor competition as some people mean or a combination.

If the progress came from bad attitude from the opponents, why did not some other players step up and making points. I know we played with a ahl roster at the end but that also means that Omark had about the same of talent in his lines but eberle got a lot worse with taylor injured.

I checked with a sample of the last 24 games of the season, not a big sample but a stretch to the end of season and the last 12 is when Omarks toi started to increase.

Omark first half 12 games/ toi/ 13 minutes 4 points 0g 4a -5
Ebs first half 12 games/ toi/ 16.8 minutes 7 points 3g 4 ass -3

Last 12 Omark 12 games/ toi 18 min ! 9 points 2g 7 ass +-0
Ebs 12 games/ toi 16.6 min 5 points 2g 3 ass - 4

We all know that Eberle is a better player then omark and what he did last season, but that also leaves questionmarks what omark maybe can be in a team who fits and given prime 2 line minutes.

My view on omark has always been that he hasnt been evualated correctly and enough in our org. And now they couldnt deal him for what they expected to get for him, after last season he was worth about Gunnarsson(and replacer for hemsky) at the hf boards and now he has dropped to a 5th pick, its kind of strange because he hasnt played his way down there, hes been injured and sick .

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:26 PM
  #64
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,442
vCash: 500
Don't forget how he was unhappy and plays better when he's happy, IE going to the World Championships. That might of hurt his value a bit.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:34 PM
  #65
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Pretty much my sentiment. I was really excited to see what he could do, and thought he looked pretty good to close out the 2010-2011 season, but especially with Yakupov now, I just don't see any possible way to fit him on our roster for a long long time.
This is pretty much me as well. He did well enough that I hoped he could grow on that going into the following season. He disappointed going into the last season though.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:38 PM
  #66
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
You are suggesting Omark's points consisting of mainly assists are less important than goals...get real.
Goals scorers are of more value. Its the rarer quality. 1.7assists/on average/every goal scored. Now in looking at a goal event, by and large(not generalizing but most of the time) the most signifcant act towards a goal is finishing that goal. Omark had scored 3 goals in 45GP as of late March 2011. You think thats cutting it for a player ONLY here for his supposed offensive contribution?

Quote:
I mentioned Gagner to answer your failed point about Omark's poor defensive zone coverage resulting in his large minuses (+/-), Gagner and about 1/3 of the team while being bottom feeders also have had more minuses than pluses incl Omark.
Gagner was -4 on a brutal club when he was handed the Omark assignment. He plummeted to -17 by the end of the year. I can't divine causality in that but myself I think theres a connection.

Quote:
Gagner played his whole life in North America, any players (even if 23 yrs) from another country coming over and trying to play in the NHL will have lots of adjustments and challenges (incl language, culture, lifestyle-besides everything hockey) and this is moreso than a rookie residing in North America.
This is called an excuse and is wrapped up in a misrepresentation. Please provide statistical data that Euro players on average take several years longer to adapt here than NHL players. If this was the case it would impact drafting immensely on a passport basis.

Quote:
Like I have said in earlier posts, Renney didn't play a rookie-sophomore of Omark because he lacks experience and not in the level of Hall, Ebs and RNH. Does this make Omark not suitable in the NHL, no, he just did not get the chance to prove himself and learn the NHL game as the above mentioned players. Since Omark is a sophomore who will likely make more mistakes than a regular player would and with his skill and talents albeit not in the top 3, he would get a greater chance to play and prove his worth on another team like the Flames or Blue Jacket.
Only if you're thinking he's good enough for topsix action in the league and I don't see that. I can maybe see a role in a Columbus or Nashville but because I don't think much at all of those forward lineups. Even in Calgary theres several forwards I'd play in front of Omark.

Quote:
Surely, Prendergast must be your mentor at one point or another, you possessed this knowledge that Omark do not have any place in the NHL.
I tried to keep an open impression and somewhat liked Omarks play in TC in 2011. But I did note immediately that a lot of his demonstrated skillset was not necessarily going to translate to the NHL. How do I know this? You watch how the player created results. Did he use plays, moves, developments that would work here? Or was he accomplishing those on the basis of capitilizing on less competive play? With Omark I deduced largely the latter. Its on record here too. Didn't take me too long to figure out that Omark wasn't cutting it here. This is when most of the board had an infatuation.

Quote:
I am neither a fan or a hater of Omark but like most of the posters here, we can postulate by observing how Omark has the fierce competiveness and skill to play in the NHL. A few things got in his way -too many young skill and smallish players of the same ilk on the roster, immature attitude and the Oilers not play nice to release him so he can get a chance to prove his worth with another NHL team. The Oilers still has his rights.
tbh I don't see this. He didn't excel, he didn't force anybodies hand to play him, he managed to pick up 6pts in 6gp at end of 2011 where he wouldn't even have been out on the ice had this not been a very injury depleted lineup. Omark had his moments, but usually against inept performances.

Quote:
Unless you are Stu Macgregor, I will stick to what I have stated - Omark is not a lost cause and like any sophomore, the player just needed more ice time and a chance to learn the NHL game better.
Theres a combination of things here. One, that Omarks game doesn't necessarily translate well to the NHL, and two, that he's less adaptable and harder to teach than some other players. For instance Hornqvist in Nashville. I'm not a fan of that player either but he's imminently coachable and able to listen and try things a different way. Omarks commitment to do that was always mixed. Thats on Omark. The Oilers know that.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:00 PM
  #67
SLURVE
Registered User
 
SLURVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Goals scorers are of more value. Its the rarer quality. 1.7assists/on average/every goal scored. Now in looking at a goal event, by and large(not generalizing but most of the time) the most signifcant act towards a goal is finishing that goal. Omark had scored 3 goals in 45GP as of late March 2011. You think thats cutting it for a player ONLY here for his supposed offensive contribution?
I know very few astute hockey fans will agree with you on the above point. A point in assist is as good as a goal. You can't have a goal without the assist from someone. Really who cares how Omark gets his points as long as he contributed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Gagner was -4 on a brutal club when he was handed the Omark assignment. He plummeted to -17 by the end of the year. I can't divine causality in that but myself I think theres a connection.
Omark is a rookie last year. So he had a higher minus of the plus/minus category-nothing new for a rookie playing extra minutes cause of the many injuries to the core group. Most of the team had bad plus/minuses not just Omark.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is called an excuse and is wrapped up in a misrepresentation. Please provide statistical data that Euro players on average take several years longer to adapt here than NHL players. If this was the case it would impact drafting immensely on a passport basis.
It is common sense that moreso than not, a person coming to a new country will have more challenges to face couple with the fact that he was a rookie playing in a new league. There is added pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Only if you're thinking he's good enough for topsix action in the league and I don't see that. I can maybe see a role in a Columbus or Nashville but because I don't think much at all of those forward lineups. Even in Calgary theres several forwards I'd play in front of Omark.
Never said he was good enough as a top six esp not a rookie or sophomore as well as he was picked in the later rounds. I stated he can make it as a bottom six esp as a 3rd liner and a few teams like Calgary and Blue Jackets may have the room and patience for his development. The Oilers just didn't have enough room and most of the players are almost the same size and style of play as Omark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I tried to keep an open impression and somewhat liked Omarks play in TC in 2011. But I did note immediately that a lot of his demonstrated skillset was not necessarily going to translate to the NHL. How do I know this? You watch how the player created results. Did he use plays, moves, developments that would work here? Or was he accomplishing those on the basis of capitilizing on less competive play? With Omark I deduced largely the latter. Its on record here too. Didn't take me too long to figure out that Omark wasn't cutting it here. This is when most of the board had an infatuation.
You are wrong. During the late part of the season of 2011, Omark and PRV basically played big minutes because of all the injuries to the top 6, Renney did not have a choice. He was creative and made plays, hence his assists totals were greater. He made plays in the offensive zone and made a lot of tape to tape passes to PRV for pp goals. He was relentless while pursuing the puck and difficult to move a way from. The sports shows had commented on how creative Omark was with the puck showing at one time using his skate to move the puck out of the corner while his stick was tied up.
He steal pucks away from unsuspecting players. Not sure if you remember all the fine passes he made on the pp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
tbh I don't see this. He didn't excel, he didn't force anybodies hand to play him, he managed to pick up 6pts in 6gp at end of 2011 where he wouldn't even have been out on the ice had this not been a very injury depleted lineup. Omark had his moments, but usually against inept performances.
What do you expect? He was a ROOKIE playing his first NHL season. His performance to help the team while most of the top 6 players were injured was quite impressive. Sometimes coaches like Renney has his favorite players to play. Should Landers be playing on the bottom 6 last year? No. If you are going to bring guys like Josh Green up from the AHL, I would have given the nod to Omark (though injured part of the season). Should MacT play Thoresen, Redd Ox and or Toby Petersen on the top line? No. Sometimes players who are starting out in the NHL do not get the breaks due to factors that may be deemed unfair, while others do not get the chance more often...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Theres a combination of things here. One, that Omarks game doesn't necessarily translate well to the NHL, and two, that he's less adaptable and harder to teach than some other players. For instance Hornqvist in Nashville. I'm not a fan of that player either but he's imminently coachable and able to listen and try things a different way. Omarks commitment to do that was always mixed. Thats on Omark. The Oilers know that.
You are grasping at straws. The fact Omark showed he can play on the team in some capacity esp on the pp in 2011. There was talk by some experts (Rishaug was one) that the Oilers should work some plays around Omark while on the pp because he is creative and smart.

You seemed to dispell all of Omark's abilities while ignoring he was a rookie playing in North American soil for the first time in 2010-2011. The rookie had a 0.53 ppg in about 51 games or so. Those mistakes he has made was attritbuted to him being a rookie. He became less used once the regular players came back from injuries the next season. There was no room for a sophomore to have the ice time. He made some not so professional remarks about playing in the AHL because he was fiercely competitive. I am neither a fan or an Omark hater but after watching hockey for many years, you know when a player has it or not to play in the NHL- he just needed a chance to play more. I think we have said enough about Omark.

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:05 PM
  #68
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,752
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
I know very few astute hockey fans will agree with you on the above point. A point in assist is as good as a goal. You can't have a goal without the assist from someone. Really who cares how Omark gets his points as lon.
Yes you can, it happens all the time.

Go ask 30 coaches at any level if they'd want a 50g-0a player or a 0g-50a player. All 30 will take the 50g, simply because goals are harder to come by.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:29 PM
  #69
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
I know very few astute hockey fans will agree with you on the above point. A point in assist is as good as a goal. You can't have a goal without the assist from someone. Really who cares how Omark gets his points as long as he contributed.
Sure you can...it happens all the time. Player takes the puck from an opposing player and scores - no assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
Omark is a rookie last year. So he had a higher minus of the plus/minus category-nothing new for a rookie playing extra minutes cause of the many injuries to the core group. Most of the team had bad plus/minuses not just Omark.



It is common sense that moreso than not, a person coming to a new country will have more challenges to face couple with the fact that he was a rookie playing in a new league. There is added pressure.


Never said he was good enough as a top six esp not a rookie or sophomore as well as he was picked in the later rounds. I stated he can make it as a bottom six esp as a 3rd liner and a few teams like Calgary and Blue Jackets may have the room and patience for his development. The Oilers just didn't have enough room and most of the players are almost the same size and style of play as Omark.

You are wrong. During the late part of the season of 2011, Omark and PRV basically played big minutes because of all the injuries to the top 6, Renney did not have a choice. He was creative and made plays, hence his assists totals were greater. He made plays in the offensive zone and made a lot of tape to tape passes to PRV for pp goals. He was relentless while pursuing the puck and difficult to move a way from. The sports shows had commented on how creative Omark was with the puck showing at one time using his skate to move the puck out of the corner while his stick was tied up.
He steal pucks away from unsuspecting players. Not sure if you remember all the fine passes he made on the pp.


What do you expect? He was a ROOKIE playing his first NHL season. His performance to help the team while most of the top 6 players were injured was quite impressive. Sometimes coaches like Renney has his favorite players to play. Should Landers be playing on the bottom 6 last year? No. If you are going to bring guys like Josh Green up from the AHL, I would have given the nod to Omark (though injured part of the season). Should MacT play Thoresen, Redd Ox and or Toby Petersen on the top line? No. Sometimes players who are starting out in the NHL do not get the breaks due to factors that may be deemed unfair, while others do not get the chance more often...


You are grasping at straws. The fact Omark showed he can play on the team in some capacity esp on the pp in 2011. There was talk by some experts (Rishaug was one) that the Oilers should work some plays around Omark while on the pp because he is creative and smart.

You seemed to dispell all of Omark's abilities while ignoring he was a rookie playing in North American soil for the first time in 2010-2011. The rookie had a 0.53 ppg in about 51 games or so. Those mistakes he has made was attritbuted to him being a rookie. He became less used once the regular players came back from injuries the next season. There was no room for a sophomore to have the ice time. He made some not so professional remarks about playing in the AHL because he was fiercely competitive. I am neither a fan or an Omark hater but after watching hockey for many years, you know when a player has it or not to play in the NHL- he just needed a chance to play more. I think we have said enough about Omark.
All the bolded here. Omark was not a rookie last year.

He's suited to the hockey in Europe, and not the NHL - oh well. /thread

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:52 PM
  #70
SLURVE
Registered User
 
SLURVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Sure you can...it happens all the time. Player takes the puck from an opposing player and scores - no assist.



All the bolded here. Omark was not a rookie last year.

He's suited to the hockey in Europe, and not the NHL - oh well. /thread
We were not talking about last year as his rookie season, hence, our reference to 2010-2011..but the bolded part was a mistake. He was a sophomore last year.

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:54 PM
  #71
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,224
vCash: 50
For the latest over rated "youtube prospect", I can think of no more appropriate send off than a youtube video:


stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:03 PM
  #72
SLURVE
Registered User
 
SLURVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Yes you can, it happens all the time.

Go ask 30 coaches at any level if they'd want a 50g-0a player or a 0g-50a player. All 30 will take the 50g, simply because goals are harder to come by.
You can have a goal without an assist when you make the play by yourself. I guess you have a different philosophy. Lets be practical here. I disagree with your analogy. The flip side, some coaches prefer a play making center who can dish out passes for goals to his wingers. A goal is as good as an assist but to compare and judge a player's worth based on goals vs assist (whether one player is better than another) is asinine.

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:04 PM
  #73
SLURVE
Registered User
 
SLURVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
For the latest over rated "youtube prospect", I can think of no more appropriate send off than a youtube video:

Dig the porno 'stache...

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:10 PM
  #74
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,752
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
You can have a goal without an assist when you make the play by yourself. I guess you have a different philosophy. Lets be practical here. I disagree with your analogy. The flip side, some coaches prefer a play making center who can dish out passes for goals to his wingers. A goal is as good as an assist but to compare and judge a player's worth based on goals vs assist (whether one player is better than another) is asinine.
Why? NHL gm's do it all the time. Why you think a 50 goal scorer gets way more money than a 50 assist guy?

You can't get assists without a goal.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:20 PM
  #75
SLURVE
Registered User
 
SLURVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why? NHL gm's do it all the time. Why you think a 50 goal scorer gets way more money than a 50 assist guy?

You can't get assists without a goal.
With that logic, then I guess Brett Hull should be worth more than Lemieux or Yzerman.

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.